Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom 4 should have...

Doomguy777 said:

No... It's just that whenever I voice my opinion about having extreme blood and gore, lots of heavy metal and ambient music, awesome weapons like DOOM 1 and 2, and 1/2 the game take place in Hell everyone yells at me and tells me I'm so wrong for wanting it and calls it a "indie game". You know what I'd rather have a fucking indie game that's fun then have some story-driven emotional game that makes me cry and shit and isn't really that good (see Aliens: Colonial Marines, Bioshock: Infinite, and yes I'll be honest with you it was overhyped WAY too much but hey I'm sorry if I disagree with public opinon. I'm a rebel OK?!)

I don't want a COD clone. I just want DOOM. I don't want DOOM 64, I want DOOM 2 on crack. Am I asking for Brutal DOOM? No, but I want blood and guts everywhere, tons of ACTUAL demons (not like DOOM 3) and corpses not disappearing. Ragdoll physics, complex level designs, secret areas, no regenerating health, fast-paced gameplay, extremely fast reloading, and awesome music! DOOM FOREVER MAN! :D

Few people here want a complex story but that doesn't mean that there can't be an unintrusive story meant to flesh out the world. The best AAA game you can hope for from a gameplay POV at the moment is the new Wolfenstein. And yes, Bioshock Infinite is the most overrated game I've ever played, you don't need to be a rebel to see that. And if you're expecting the game to be EXACTLY like Doom 1/2 but with better graphics, you will be sorely dissapointed. That would be like expecting Doom to be like Wolfenstein but with better textures.

And for the record the demons from the original didn't exactly look like demons, except the Barons of Hell. You have brown aliens, zombies, more zombies, some fatso with a launcher, a skeleton with homing missles, a cute raspberry demon. The majority of the demons in Doom did not exactly look demonic.

I am also not sure how you could fit in music. The music went hand in hand with Doom because of how unrealistic the levels were. Even though they were highly realistic back then they aren't now. If you put music in Doom 3 for instance, it would feel weird.

Doom was the equivalent of an AAA game back then, it should be the same today.

mrthejoshmon said:

Or the we all will be beta testers for a great singleplayer game, we will only know when it happens.

I really don't think Bethesda would let anyone touch SP in a semi-open beta. 99% sure it'll be deathmatch or other MP component. My bet is that 'beta' is just an excuse, it's not about 'testing', it's about getting people to pre-order Wolf. They probably don't have any in-game bonuses like RAGE did for instance, so they had to figure something.

At least that's why I hope, because, frankly, it'd be horrible if a good chunk of SP was 'available' in an unfinished state way before the release.

My biggest fear with the beta is that by the time the game is released I will have become bored of the weapons or the lustre will be gone.

DooM_RO said:

My biggest fear with the beta is that by the time the game is released I will have become bored of the weapons or the lustre will be gone.

But remember its only the Beta, the full version may be very diffrent from the Beta.

William Blazkowicz said:

I hope they add in some other marines that help you fight.

That would be nice. Maybe not for an extended period--you don't want to kill the loneliness that is a signature of the series--but a few frantic battles with you and some AI soldiers at your side would really get the adrenaline going. Doom 3 teasing at it with Bravo Team but never paying off was a letdown.

It could work like in Half Life. They can always die. That would add to the atmosphere, I think.

DooM_RO said:

It could work like in Half Life. They can always die. That would add to the atmosphere, I think.

It would also be cool if you could command your teammates to do simple tasks like go ahead of you so they could absorb all the damage.

Despite all the hardware advances we've seen during the last 20 years, AI has barely progressed. It's very doubtful that Doom 4 will have much in the way of innovative AI. Even competent AI seems to be a stretch, considering how many modern games still feature clueless NPCs.

Every other night I see a dream where theres finally first official screenshots of Doom 4. And it's always bit of a disappointment. Sometimes it sucks that this game franchise has been part of my life and soul for 20 years.

After some thought and weird dreams, I have come up with a story for the new DOOM game. The Necromonicon-Ex Antiqua (Book of the Ancient Ones) unleashes demons onto a UAC research base, the UAC research base hurls out of control and crashes on Phobos. You go to investigate, then you teleport into Deimos... In Deimos, Hell is merging with the overworld.... then you go to Hell. After defeating the Spider Mastermind you think all is well and leave Hell. Until you get a distress beacon from Earth saying that Hell has broken loose. You fight off waves of demons on Earth and then go back to Hell to fight off Cthulu and then the Icon of Sin which then dissolves into the Baphomet (which has the Icon of Sin head but actually has a body and attacks!) and after defeating it then the game kind of ends.... but with an awesome ending.

Also the Hell sections should be extremely long and tedious. Blood and gore should be as extreme as Soldier of Fortune if not MORE extreme. The game should focus on giving out a good story and good gameplay. The demons should look like demons. And yes Doom_RO the demons in DOOM 1/2 did look like demons. In DOOM 3 they didn't even have spikes on them (Imps), look possesed (Former Humans), Pink Demon with huge glaring yellow eyes, scary as fuck (see Rotten Apple Head from Evil Dead 2 as an example of what the Pinky got it's inspiration from (plus horns).) All of the demons from DOOM 1/2 looked Satanic/Demonic. The ones in DOOM 3 looked like fucking aliens. I want DEMONS NOT ALIENS! Anyway folks there is my honest opinion on what DOOM 4 should have....

P.S Does anyone like my idea of Necromonicon-Ex Antiqua (Book of the Ancient Ones)? I know what your thinking... yeah you caught me I'm a huge Evil Dead 2 (1987) and Aliens (1986) fan! :3

I think the demons in Doom 3 were quite "Demonic" looking. Just because they went with a different interpretation doesn't make them any less scary. One thing I took away from the designs of the various Doom 3 monsters was primal evil, especially in regards to the Imp, Pinky and the Hell Knight. You don't have to have horns and goat legs to be scary and demonic.

The movie monster Pumpkinhead is a prime example. He lack's horns and hooves and spikes, but you definitely wouldn't doubt that this is some sort of horrible demonic abomination from beyond. Actually, I think the Arch vile reminds me a lot of Pumpkinhead. And I'm not saying the original designs are not good, they're outright classics!

Doomguy777 said:

After some thought and weird dreams, I have come up with a story for the new DOOM game. The Necromonicon-Ex Antiqua (Book of the Ancient Ones) unleashes demons onto a UAC research base, the UAC research base hurls out of control and crashes on Phobos. You go to investigate, then you teleport into Deimos... In Deimos, Hell is merging with the overworld.... then you go to Hell. After defeating the Spider Mastermind you think all is well and leave Hell. Until you get a distress beacon from Earth saying that Hell has broken loose. You fight off waves of demons on Earth and then go back to Hell to fight off Cthulu and then the Icon of Sin which then dissolves into the Baphomet (which has the Icon of Sin head but actually has a body and attacks!) and after defeating it then the game kind of ends.... but with an awesome ending.

So basically an HD re-rendition of Doom 1 and Doom 2 into one game? No thanks.

MFG38 said:

No not really... I was planning on starting out on a space station and then flying a spaceship to Phobos.... Also I was going for more of a Wolfenstein: The New Order vibe + Descent (in terms of flying controls and stuff) and yeah. I wasn't trying to go for a DOOM 1 and DOOM 2 remake. Maybe a bit of a retelling but by no means a remake. Essentially the DOOM 3 that WE should have got. Also, to respond to everyone what I mean by the demons in DOOM 3 is this. The DOOM 3 demons look generic as fuck. DOOM 1 and 2 Demons were diverse, colorful (color doesn't mean kiddy! I'm sick'n tired of brown and grey!) also, they had unique characteristics and hitpoints.... then DOOM 3 comes around with generic brown and grey demons (OOH so scary! *sarcasm*)..... Seriously, they should return to the DOOM 1 and 2 demon designs, hell they should take notes from DOOM 64 in terms of designing an awesome Hell experience.

And to Piper Maru, DOOM 3 demons looked GENERIC! No originality or good design. DOOM 1 and 2 demons looked awesome because they were ORIGINAL and had a style similar to H.R Giger and just looked all around creepy and scary. Brown and grey does not equal scary....

Personally, I'd like a sequel to DOOM 64 sometime in the future named DOOM 128 using id Tech 5 and stuff... :3

MFG38 said:

That's pretty much what I got from his post. That and something about Evil Dead.

Doomguy777 said:

And to Piper Maru, DOOM 3 demons looked GENERIC! No originality or good design. DOOM 1 and 2 demons looked awesome because they were ORIGINAL and had a style similar to H.R Giger and just looked all around creepy and scary. Brown and grey does not equal scary....

You do realize the contradiction in that last sentence, considering that most of Giger's artwork is monochrome, often done entirely in brown or gray tones.

And, of course, the original cacodemon's artwork is a complete rip-off of a painting of an astral dreadnought from Dungeons & Dragons, and is therefore not original.

It doesn't change the fact that Doom 3's monster were boring looking, even though quality was perfectly competent. Doom 1/2's monsters are, to some extent, stereotypes of demonic archetypes, and imagery from pop satanic iconography/science fiction/cyberpunk. Not entirely original, but there's such a strong distinction between characters, even similar ones like the hell knights/barons. Doom 3's characters were distinguishable, but shared too many parallels in the general style.

mrthejoshmon said:

I agree, the Bruiser has to be my favorite.

Ya although I do find it weird that he has a monitor on his chest with a picture of Perfectly white human teeth.

The white teeth I think were supposed to be a kind of Uncanny Valley thing, maybe? Big ugly monster with perfectly crisp Human Teeth?

If I'm not mistaken, it'd probably be worse to be bitten by flat teeth, which crush and shatter, as opposed to sharp teeth that stab on through.

Those rumors about Bruisers being trap computer terminals though would've made the final execution even better.

Clonehunter said:

Those rumors about Bruisers being trap computer terminals though would've made the final execution even better.

Sounds interesting, interested to tell more of this? Morphing enemy that could turn from wall to monster with fluent animation would be cool

Waffenak said:

Sounds interesting, interested to tell more of this? Morphing enemy that could turn from wall to monster with fluent animation would be cool

Apparently, Bruisers were going to be in vanilla Doom 3 and were to be hidden in the wall only with their terminal mouths showing, upon trying to use the terminal the thing would "Flash to a picture of an eye" (The eye picture still happens when it spots you in ROE), the thing would then come out of the wall and fight the player.

Or so I have been told.

mrthejoshmon said:

Apparently, Bruisers were going to be in vanilla Doom 3 and were to be hidden in the wall only with their terminal mouths showing, upon trying to use the terminal the thing would "Flash to a picture of an eye" (The eye picture still happens when it spots you in ROE), the thing would then come out of the wall and fight the player.

Or so I have been told.

Damn fine way to introduce new enemy class, wasted potential

doom_is_great said:

The whole game of Doom 3 was wasted potential.

No it wasn't. Not ideal=/=Entire game is shit

Marnetmar said:

Not ideal=/=Entire game is shit

Is this your first time talking to gamers on the Internet?