Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Please rank these bosses (1-5) in terms of toughness. also, please give each boss a rating (on a scale from 1-10) on how scary it is, toughness, and "coolness" (if you think it is cool).

1.Icon of Sin
2.The Cyberdemon
3.The Spiderdemon
4.The Baron of Hell
5.The Archvile

In an open area with little to no cover:

5 - Arch-Vile
3 - Spiderdemon
2 - Cyberdemon
4 - Baron of Hell

In a less spacious area with a bit more cover:

3 - Spiderdemon
2 - Cyberdemon
5 - Arch-Vile
4 - Baron of Hell

In a tight area or corridor:

2 - Cyberdemon
5 - Arch-Vile
4 - Baron of Hell
3 - Spiderdemon

Now, the Icon of Sin is missing because all it is is just a head that you have to aim for, with a monster spawner. Depending on the map (i.e. ammo, health, ease of access to a good vantage point from which to fire the rockets into the brain hole) or source port, it could be exceedingly hard or simple.

This really depends on room to maneuver...

Too much room:

*all enemies at 5*

Lots of room:

5-Boss Brain
4-Baron of Hell
3-Cyberdemon
2-Spider Mastermind
1-Archvile

*Some* room:
5-Boss brain
4-Baron of Hell
3-Archvile
2-Spider Mastermind
1-Cyberdemon

Not much room:
5-Boss Brain
4-Archvile
3-Baron of Hell
2-Spider Mastermind
1-Cyberdemon

Very limited room:
5-Boss Brain
4-Archvile
3-Spider Mastermind
2-Baron of Hell
1-Cyberdemon

Barons are basically beefed up Imps who are slower on their feet. They're not hard at all in a wide open room, even with no cover, it doesn't matter if you've got lots of weaponry or not.
Even if you have low health and no ammo, with patience, you could punch them to death...but you'd have to be very careful.

The Arch-Vile's a boss? That's something I never new, considering it appears many times in Doom 2.

Cyber/Spider are the only two that are really boss enemies (if at all). The others are just the higher-end regular enemies. The boss brain can't be considered a boss at all, since it just fires other, smaller enemies.

In any case, the only one I find challenging is the Arch-Vile, due to its difficult-to-avoid attack (in many cases, especially with multiple AVs at once), and also the resurrection ability. The others can be challenging, but usually only in groups, or cramped places.

Bosses are not just limited to Cyberdemons and Spider Masterminds...

It completely depends on the player's progress and current situation. Such as what weapons you have and what your location is.
For example, The Bruiser Brothers of E1 are considered a boss by all means because prior to that, you would probably not even see a baron of hell (I'm not taking all skill levels into account when i say this). The average player has at most a rocket launcher when fighting them, and without many rockets.

Bosses are meant to be more challenging than previous monsters, and it doesn't have to be just one monster, it can be several.

EDIT: oh and,

The Archvile is the one true monster I fear. Battles with them are usually unpredictable, and in most cases you have 5 seconds to either kill or be killed.

I place the Spidermastermind on top of the Cyberdemon because if you were left out in the open with a Spiderdemon, it is certain you would die without cover.

The Cyberdemon is nothing. When you play Hell Revealed, you get used to killing them in tight spaces. The Cyberdemon is too predictable, and is easy to dodge.

The Icon of Sin doesn't deserve to even be called a boss.

The Baron of Hell is just a monster, but can be challenging in extremely tight spaces and with limited firepower.

In terms of toughness

Cyberdemon
Icon of Sin
Spidermastermaind
Archvile
Baron of Hell

In terms of coolnes
Cyberdemon: 9
Spiderdemon: 9
Archvile: 8
Baron of Hell: 6,5
Icon of Sin: 6 (I'm really bored of this one, I hate fight one of them at the end of almost any megawad, is monotonous).

The archvile imo is enough of a badass and evil son of a bitch to be considered a boss in my book.

1. Cyberdemon
2. Spidermind
3. Archvile
4. Icon of Sin
5. Baron of Hell

After playing some different wads, and then going back and playing Doom 2 again...I forgot how pointlessly stupid the Icon of Sin was. It deserves not the name Icon of Sin, it deserves the name "Cream Puff Master Fluff."

VolteFace said:

The boss brain can't be considered a boss at all, since it just fires other, smaller enemies.

That's the silliest thing I've heard in a few months...

ellmo said:

That's the silliest thing I've heard in a few months...

I agree. Since when did it matter what the boss does? Hell it could shoot out cakes and coffee for all I care, its still the boss.

Heh, I make boss fights on occasion. Only 1 has ever been seen by others though. I can't really consider 1 individual enemy a boss, no matter how tough. Perhaps a mini-boss, but that's about it.

Coolness:

1. Cyberdemon - 10
2. Arch-Vile - 8
3. Spiderdemon - 7
4. Baron of Hell - 4
5. Icon of Sin - 0 (T'is a load of crap)

Spidercyberdemon said:

Please rank these bosses (1-5) in terms of toughness. also, please give each boss a rating (on a scale from 1-10) on how scary it is, toughness, and "coolness" (if you think it is cool).

1.Icon of Sin
2.The Cyberdemon
3.The Spiderdemon
4.The Baron of Hell
5.The Archvile

Why??? Do I win some thing? Or maybe this is a test...

arch-vile isn't a boss so to speak, though i am surprised he isnt used in a boss like role as much.

icon of sin. i have only beaten it a few times. once only in ultra-violence, usally cause i really dont care.

cyberdemon-spider mastermind, depends on space.

small space = cyber demon
large space = spider mastuermind

also if i have the BFG 9000 the spider is little more than a chain gun guy at that point.

1. CyberDemon
2. ArchVile
3. Mastermind (Big Spider)
4. Mancubus
5. Baron of Hell

I've learned now how hard a Mancubus can be. If it didn't have burt fire I'd say differently.

toughness ranking:

1: Icon of Sin (this depends on the map)
2: Cyberdemon
3: Arch Vile
4: Spider Mastermind
5: Baron of Hell

coolness/scariness ranking:

1: Arch Vile / Cyberdemon (noone has an edge over the other)
2: Spider Mastermind
3: Baron of Hell
4: Icon of Sin (yeah, I never liked this guy)

i think i got all those beasts beaten by this boss. this boss was impossible to defeat until about 1997-98.

its name...
VISplane overflow!

Excitement wise?
1.Two-BoH + Swarm of Spectors(UV)
2.Pack of Mancubi + Arachno-squadron in Dead Simple(UV)
3.Icon of Sin (UV)
4.Cyberdemon - sorry dudes but the ol' strife and fire is repetative, but I like the levels (like Rebirth) where you have to use alternative means.
5.Spiderdemon - Yawn. but it was worth it to see the bastard fall.

EDIT: I realise that I haven't stuck to the rules but I'm a maverick damn it, and I get results..........occasionally.

The Normal Boss Order in DooM and DooM II:
1-Icon of Sin
2-Spider + CyberDemon + ArchVile + Baron
3-4 Mancubuses
4-Spider Demon
5-Cyber Demon
6-Pair of Barons of Hell

Difficultness:
1-CyberDemon - It lets you to choose the correct weapon... or die.
2-Archvile - If there's nowhere to hide.
3-Icon of Sin - You need to aim correctly
4-Two barons of hell - They're annoying as hell, and you'll waste time with the SSG.
5-SpiderDemon - Aww, c'mon. Kill it with the BFG, it's not that difficult.

Individual bosses don't scare me very much. It's the combination of monsters that really pose a challenge. Swarms of the same enemies coupled with strategically placed harder enemies, a vast swarm of different enemies which you must first thin out by infighting before making your assault, a few hit-scan enemies and a horde of Demons, the possibilities are endless.

But if you insist:

1: The Cyberdemon. It's the toughest enemy, and one misstep could cost you your life.
2: The Icon of Sin. Easy if it happens to spawn all Imps and Demons, instant-lose if it spawns an Arch-Vile.
3: The Spiderdemon. Uber-hitscan attack and very tough. Easy with cover, hard without.
4: The Arch-Vile. Can be very predictable, and one hit does only 83 damage. Without cover he's a bitch, though.
5: Two Barons of Hell. C'mon... get one behind the other and worry about only one at a time. Easy as hell.