Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tango

Tango TV [BLOODSHEDDER IS THE MAN]

with as much content as this community creates, we're usually given very little insight into what goes on behind the scenes. with legendary megawads like AV, the only sort of "documentary" that the rest of the community gets is the credits txt, and with other megawads it's even less.

this is where TANGO TV* comes in. we'll be conducting somewhat regular interviews with talented figures in the Doom community, via Skype voice-chat, to give the rest of the community an in-depth look at the minds behind the talent. this is not limited to mappers, though; it would be just as great to hear from our musicians, artists, speedrunners, CTF players, etc.

*somebody please suggest a better name** because this one is just a dumb filler; something silly will do
** fuck it i guess this is sticking

INTERVIEWEES
if you contribute content to the community in some form and are interested in being interviewed, just drop us a line in this here thread and we'll put you in line! and when the times comes, we'll set up a nice informal Skype date and let you tell us a bit about your work. this includes you, demo-recorders and competitive players! if you have a preference regarding who interviews you (Tango & alfonzo, Tango & guest, alfonzo & guest, etc), just go ahead and post that too. if you've no preference then we'll probably just do things based on availability.

INTERVIEWERS
we're changing this role up a bit, as we originally intended to have the interviews in their entirety conducted by somebody new. it has since been pointed out that some consistency (and therefore familiarity) would really help us out, so generally we'll try to have interviews done by either myself (Tango) & st. alfonzo together or separately. for cases in which only one of us will be present, if you would like to appear as a guest interviewer, please let us know.

QUESTIONS
for these interviews to work, we need questions to ask! we'll update the thread when an interview is upcoming, which gives you a chance to PM me, Tango, any questions you want to hear that person answer. if you are so inclined to post it in the thread instead/in addition to PM, feel free to do so.

THE LIST
[author] with [interviewer]
*OR*
[author] & [author]

- Xaser [done]
- Snakes [done]
- Hellbent [done]
- Jimmy [done]
- Kaiser [done; upload to come]
- Sodaholic
- Stewboy
- Kristus & Khorus
- Phobus
- skillsaw
- esselfortium
etc

PAST INTERVIEWS
pretty soon we'll get a youtube channel up and keep links to all of the past interviews. stay tuned for that. for now, here are the raw mp3 files and stuff:
Xaser with Tango & st. alfonzo
Hellbent with st. alfonzo
Snakes and Tango
Jimmy with st. alfonzo
Kaiser with Tango
Mista_T/Matt Tropiano with Tango & st. alfonzo
Esselfortium with Tango & st. alfonzo
TANGO TV Program B! alfonzo, Tarnsman, Pavera
40oz with... 40oz!

i'd just like to stress again that these interviews are informal, so there's no need to be mic-shy. if you're comfortable asking/answering a few questions and having a healthy discussion, we need you.

now volunteer, minions.

Make it "Radio Tango! " with a Jamaican accent. Muy perfect.

Also, I'm the guinea pig... oh dear! D:

kristus and myself are up for it some time. We could even interview each other as we're both very used to chatting.

As for a name, Inside the Doomer's Studio. Because I am so witty.

Well, I'd maybe like to be interviewed just to see what happens, but unfortunately I don't have a microphone. Text interviews, anyone?

Honestly, I really like the name Tango TV and hope you do not change it. A catchy name that is less accurate in its description will actually much better become synonymous with what it represents than will a longer, clumsier name that better describes what it is.

I would be up for an interview, but only if people actually want to hear from me.

Also, it would also be better to ask your subject some questions specific to them to make the interview worthwhile. If it's the same questions for everybody, it makes for boring interviews, and wouldn't warrant a spoken one. In that case, you are better off just handing them a form.

Mista_T said:

Also, it would also be better to ask your subject some questions specific to them to make the interview worthwhile. If it's the same questions for everybody, it makes for boring interviews, and wouldn't warrant a spoken one. In that case, you are better off just handing them a form.

Absolutely!

Although the generally informal approach to the interview is in one sense enough to justify audio over text by way of ridiculous and banter-rich conversation (this is Xaser off the bat, remember: insanity abounds!), the real benefit to such a setup is that it allows broader, non-specific questions to evolve through strands of discussion into questions specific to the mapper, while still allowing space for community questions to interject in order to keep the dialogue rolling. Snowballing, even!

I fully expect and hope that the talking will comprise >50% off-the-cuff tangents and general tomfoolery. A combination of interesting handpicked questions (both particular to the interviewee or otherwise) and contemporary titbits (upcoming projects, shameless self-promotion) will ensure a rich, fun and providing series of interviews!

shit, i did it again!

The benefit to live interview vs. text is that you can pose follow up questions based on the interviewee's answers, whereas the "phoned in" text interview is static and set in stone.

stewboy said:

Well, I'd maybe like to be interviewed just to see what happens, but unfortunately I don't have a microphone. Text interviews, anyone?

To anybody complaining that they don't have a microphone: plug in a pair of headphones to your PC's microphone port and talk into the left headphone. There you go.

hahahaha you're the best jimmy. we will use that.

i added all you volunteers to the list. Mr. Freeze, i put you down for Mista_T, but if for some reason you'd rather interview stewboy... then, uh, let me know and i'll switch you :p

and yes, as has been said, we're intending to use audio interview's potential to its fullest. perhaps a few questions will overlap between interviews, but in general we're trying to keep it interviewee-specific.

Despite only joking about it in the last thread, I was actually wondering if I could be interviewed. I've contributed a medium amount of content to Freedoom, was the maintainer of another project for a while, contibuted a polished sprite to Hacx 2.0, released an "ironically" unfunny jokewad, and other minor crap. That, and I've got several projects in various states of (un)completion and disrepair, all overambitious. :P Speaking of which, my only currently active project is Koliko's Adventure, and I've decided to do a major overhaul of the overall concept, but I'll get into the details of that later.

At the very least, maybe I could be an interviewer. What's the best method of recording Skype calls?

i think the community loves/hates you enough to at least warrant being an interviewer, so we can try to line something up with you too :p

unless somebody suggests something better, for the time being we'll be recording with Audacity's recording capabilities i guess

Tango TV: All Tango, all the time!

...Wait this doesn't have 24 hours of Tango?! I demand my money back!

Tango said:

unless somebody suggests something better, for the time being we'll be recording with Audacity's recording capabilities i guess

There are quite a few free call recording programs for Skype which might be easier than trying to record with Audacity or something similar.

Oh dear. Some people cannot record speaker output directly. Is this an issue for this plan?

I'm sure many people have fraps, so let's have it record DWM at 1 FPS and hope for the best :D

Bloodshedder said:

There are quite a few free call recording programs for Skype which might be easier than trying to record with Audacity or something similar.

ah, wonderful. thanks BS!

printz: all we need is one of the two people with the ability to record (which the above programs should do). what am i missing?

Bloodshedder said:

To anybody complaining that they don't have a microphone: plug in a pair of headphones to your PC's microphone port and talk into the left headphone. There you go.

Did you try it? Are you sure? I mean, do the speaker membranes really vibrate to external sound waves, and do they really produce voltage, enough to be detected? It wouldn't even get preamped, since the power source goes to the right speaker (ouch).

printz said:

Did you try it? Are you sure? I mean, do the speaker membranes really vibrate to external sound waves, and do they really produce voltage, enough to be detected? It wouldn't even get preamped, since the power source goes to the right speaker (ouch).

Yes. Yes. Yes, yes. Doesn't matter. A lot of PC microphone ports don't output any voltage. And if they did, it wouldn't be enough to damage headphones.

Writing interview questions is harder than you might expect. Fair warning!

It's (based on my limited experience) also good practice to send the interviewee a list of questions you're going to ask, a few days before the actual interview. That way they have some time to think about what they'd like to say, and you don't get a lot of dead air time as they think about their answers. It's probably especially useful for people whose first language is not English.

I'd be happy to participate in this, assuming anyone actually wants to hear from a grumpy old man :)