Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Quality control on /idgames/

Malicious doesn't necessarily mean a virus, Link. And considering that these wads are just a means to an end(getting people butthurt for lolz), you are sort of defending the people behind them. They're not some artistic statement, they're a tool for provocation.

Finally a valid reason to not remove any shitwads from the archive - the lack of these autistic conversations would make doomworld seem incomplete.

Thank you for your invaluable contribution j4rio. :) I'll wander off now, I'm getting too old for this.

Obsidian said:

Malicious doesn't necessarily mean a virus, Link. And considering that these wads are just a means to an end(getting people butthurt for lolz), you are sort of defending the people behind them. They're not some artistic statement, they're a tool for provocation.

For fuck's sake, Obsidian. It really is as simple as not playing them. That's what we have Bloodshedder for. You don't play them, they don't get the reaction that they're probing for. I refer you to my previous point about defending a product not equaling defending the creator's actions outside of creating the product. Some people still eat at Chik-Fil-A despite their homophobia.

I don't even know how this argument lasted so long. I'm done here too.

j4rio said:

Finally a valid reason to not remove any shitwads from the archive - the lack of these autistic conversations would make doomworld seem incomplete.

Autism - The internet user's #1 catch-all for any behavior they find "childish".

Actually, I just happen to think from the words of wisdom you spread that you're completely off your tits.

If these threads stopped popping up every couple of weeks, the terries would get bored and go troll some other community. (Like Minecraft or TF2, or some brony forum.) We can't have that so it's important to keep giving them attention and publicity. Thank you.

Gez said:

If these threads stopped popping up every couple of weeks, the terries would get bored and go troll some other community. (Like Minecraft or TF2, or some brony forum.) We can't have that so it's important to keep giving them attention and publicity. Thank you.

Nope. They never will stop "attacking" Doomworld (They may go after other forums though) as they seem quite literally hell bent on our anuses at this point (and I think they have something against the Doom community as a whole, not sure why they do though, they also seem to be particularly "interested" in Brutal Doom and it's author but then again with the shit he pulled...)

On the kind of off topic discussion earlier, are you trying to tell me they set up their own website?

How adorable, I must see take a look at this abomination.

(And as a side note, I would love to see them "attack" a brony forum, it would be fucking hilarious)

Linkrulezall said:

But they're crap that some people enjoy for some reason.

I don't think any of those people are doomers though.

Canofbacon said:

I thought people were wanting Terry WADs off the archives completely.

Some do, though once you start applying "quality control" to filter out the trollwads (or other nuisances), /idgames ceases to be an archive and starts to look more like a collection. Anything that's demonstrably malicious must go but the rest should be allowed to remain and succumb to bit rot.

mrthejoshmon said:

Nope.

I think I agree. Considering the long timeline of these attacks. The scripting and mapping skills accrued from doing that aren't transferable to other forms of media. I'm pretty sure this guy isn't in the road to abandoning all this experience considering the frequency of his wads.

I dont really have anything to offer here, but this problem isn't really effecting me because I dont think I have any of these wads on my hard drive. I have my wad compilation cds and everything from the levels section for doom and doom 2 minus the ports subfolder. Everything else in my collection has been carefully handpicked.

Be careful, my children. The way to becoming the next Brandon D. Lade is paved with "quality" in mind.

40oz said:

I think I agree. Considering the long timeline of these attacks. The scripting and mapping skills accrued from doing that aren't transferable to other forms of media. I'm pretty sure this guy isn't in the road to abandoning all this experience considering the frequency of his wads.

However, making terrywads can in some cases lead to the makers getting the skills they need to make good, legitimate wads. For example, Ogre produced The UAC Water Refinery (http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/s-u/uacrfnry.zip), and MatthewDoomer went from making Startan2 corridor simulator terrywads to high quality, enjoyable wads such as:
-The Agonizing Vault (http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/a-c/agonyv.zip)
-Gehenna (http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/gehna.zip
and
-Xen Level Pack (http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/Ports/v-z/xenpack.zip)

Also, "this guy"? There's at least 10 different people involved here.

We don't need stuff like this clogging the archives:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/terryhtr.zip

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/drewdoom.zip

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/Ports/j-l/jero.zip

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/equake.zip

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/fws.zip

Etc etc.

Seriously, this is getting out of hand and something has to be done. If we ignore it, they still do it. Jokewads like Doomguy's Pimp Ventures is fine but not maps with screamers, ass and rape jokes and other BS that deceive players.

@Mr.Chirs, I don't like terry wads either. I think they are a waste of space on the archives. But the only thing people can do to stop more terry wads from coming is not give into what the terry wadders want, which is for us to bitch and complain on the review posts on /idgames and on the forums.

They don't give a shit if their nonsensical wads get 0 star ratings. As long as they see a shit-load of angry comments, like "This fucking piece of shit of a wad crashed my PC!!" or "Oh God why won't these terry wads just get rejected" or "U FUKIN TERRY WADDING MOTHER FUCKING CUNTNOSED FAGGAT, I HOPE YOU DIE!" Then they are satisfied.

So please, when you see Bloodshedder comment with a 0 star rating saying, "Terry wad, avoid 0/5", that means don't bother downloading the damn file. Don't even comment on any wad that is a blatant terry wad or when Bloodshedder confirms it as one. Ignoring these wads could result in LESS terry wad submissions. Thus, terry wadding could die out, but it is prevalent now thanks to all the people feeding into what the terry wadders want.

doomguy93 said:

I don't like terry wads either. I think they are a waste of space on the archives. But the only thing people can do to stop more terry wads from coming is not give into what the terry wadders want, which is for us to bitch and complain on the review posts on /idgames and on the forums.

They don't give a shit if their nonsensical wads get 0 star ratings. As long as they see a shit-load of angry comments, like "This fucking piece of shit of a wad crashed my PC!!" or "Oh God why won't these terry wads just get rejected" or "U FUKIN TERRY WADDING MOTHER FUCKING CUNTNOSED FAGGAT, I HOPE YOU DIE!" Then they are satisfied.

So please, when you see Bloodshedder comment with a 0 star rating saying, "Terry wad, avoid 0/5", that means don't bother downloading the damn file. Don't even comment on any wad that is a blatant terry wad or when Bloodshedder confirms it as one. Ignoring these wads could result in LESS terry wad submissions. Thus, terry wadding could die out, but it is prevalent now thanks to all the people feeding into what the terry wadders want.

Why is this so difficult to understand?

If we want just "quality" works (and don't tell me this isn't about quality) to show up, then it is more reasonable to make some sort of "Community Wad Site" where "trusted" members could filter the "best" wads out there, and then build not an archive, but a collection (as GreyGhost said). But wait, we already have the /newstuff chronicles, this forum, etc. And our own preferences, which is why we can't reach a consensus in the first place, right?

Zed said:

Why is this so difficult to understand?

Difficult to understand? I said it pretty clear, Ignore Terry WADS.

Zed said:

If we want just "quality" works (and don't tell me this isn't about quality) to show up, then it is more reasonable to make some sort of "Community Wad Site" where "trusted" members could filter the "best" wads out there, and then build not an archive, but a collection (as GreyGhost said). But wait, we already have the /newstuff chronicles, this forum, etc. And our own preferences, which is why we can't reach a consensus in the first place, right?

Well why not use http://www.doomwadstation.net/ ? I'm pretty sure that is a community site where you can submit your wads to...

doomguy93 said:

Difficult to understand? I said it pretty clear, Ignore Terry WADS.

Heh. Sorry, what I should have wrote is "Why can't you understand this? (in agreement with what you just said)". I apologize if I didn't said it properly.

And I agree on DWS.

Zed said:

Heh. Sorry, what I should have wrote is "Why can't you understand this? (in agreement with what you just said)". I apologize if I didn't said it properly.

And I agree on DWS.

lol it's all good man.

Gotta admit, I giggled at Benito Mussolini rising from the grave to defend whoever this terry is.

I'm not too clear on the scale of these poo WADS but unless they are really clogging the place up it shouldn't be a huge issue. With that said, if you can find some moderator\fun-police willing to eradicate them it shouldn't be too hard to keep the moderation legitimate.

Any 'injustices' could easily be alerted to the community via the forum.

Linkrulezall said:

Also, "this guy"? There's at least 10 different people involved here.

very well, pardon my ignorance. But if its even confirmed who these guys are, what's to stop anyone from confronting them on a personal level like via private messages or email or something? You could open up with wanting some decorate advice or to work together on a map and once you get to know them find out what all the terrywad stuff is about and let him know you're being effected by it.

I dint know. As base as it sounds, I think when you play doom levels designed for a port that's reputation has been built on taking dramatic overhauls to dooms game play, ala harmony tc, adventures of square, brutal doom, aeons of death, russian overkill, etc., you're running the risk of playing something that's completely unlike doom in a bad way. I'd be hard pressed to find a vanilla wad in the same caliber as these wads without the author outwardly lying in the text file ("new sounds: yes" would probably be a red flag for me) and even if someone did "troll" me with their vanilla map, I'd probably be more likely impressed than offended or annoyed. Getting garbage like that to work in vanilla sounds pretty respectable to me :/

Mr. Chris said:

If we ignore it, they still do it.

This is an untested theory at the moment, because threads that grant them attention (like this one) keep popping up on a monthly basis.

There is literally nothing that can disprove that theory barring the end of time.

I have to say I don't quite understand the depth of anger being expressed, though admittedly I haven't really played any of these "terry wads". Can someone explain in a sober way why they're so objectionable?

What I mean is: if it's a WAD that screws up your configuration file or exploits a bug in your favourite source port to infect your computer with a virus, then fair enough: it should be removed from the archive as malicious and dangerous to users. Same with WADs that expand to 4GB of junk (seems like something that ought to be easy enough for Ty to add a filter for).

If it's just a case of "I downloaded what I thought was a legitimate WAD but it was actually a joke WAD that wasted my time and annoyed me", or "the WAD made a screaming sound that scared me", then big deal. What's the real issue here?

@Fraggle

That should tell you all you need to know. Terry's wads are essentially a cocktail of the "I downloaded what I thought was a legitimate WAD but it was actually a joke WAD that wasted my time and annoyed me" and "the WAD made a screaming sound that scared me" scenarios that you mentioned. There's a handful that mess up your controls or gamma contrast but that can be easily undone with a few keystrokes, or even easier if you keep a backup of your config .ini

If that's all they are then I don't see the problem. Nobody's obliging you to play these WADs, and they presumably get downvoted and flagged in comments pretty quickly. Use some common sense and read the reviews before downloading?

Certainly doesn't seem like a subject warranting a four page discussion thread, or any of the griping about them I keep seeing.