Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Technician

Disney Shuts Down LucasArts

The recent ones haven't received good reception, so it seems.

But it made some of the best games in 90's. Full Throttle, Monkey Island, Grim Fandago, X-Wing, TIE Fighter... You name it.

One bit of good gaming history has been put to rest.

Quoting myself from another forum: Meh, Lucas Arts' glory days were long gone anyway. Their recent in-house games have been mediocre at best - the better stuff was all sourced out to third parties anyway.

It's a shame that LucasArts got shut down by Disney. I mean, LucasArts made some great games, and Disney is just going to shut them down just like that? Wow, just wow. I can't believe you Disney, you were a vital part of my childhood and you made great movies. But what you did to LucasArts was just absolutely shameful. George Lucas would be ashamed of Disney.

Well. I love(d) lucasarts, but they haven't made a great game since X-Wing Alliance back in 98 or 99. The latest great Star Wars game was KotOR back in 2003, but that was made by BioWare. The Jedi Knight games of the 00s were decent, but nothing really special. For their time anyway. I replayed Jedi Outcast one or two years ago and had more fun with it than most modern shooters.

Oh well.
This _could_ be a good thing for starwars games, but it's always sad to see them go.
And yeah I do believe id could be next. That or Valve shuts down their inhouse game division to focus on steam/console :P

All of this reminds me of a picture I saw on Cracked(which I can't find now), where Mickey Mouse has his arm on Lucas's shoulder, and recites a line from Fight Club:

"You're too old, fat man. Tits are too big. Get the fuck off my porch."

Valve has an in-house game division? I thought they just bought out a few indie/modding teams from time to time (Counterstrike, Team Fortress, Portal, Left 4 Dead, Alien Swarm, etc.)...

What game would they work on anyway? Half Life 3?

Technician said:

Maybe after Doom 4 flops, id will be next.

Doom 4: Call of Duty?

Well at least the single player source codes for the games Jedi Oucast and Jedi Academy will be released now.

Avoozl said:

Well at least the single player source codes for the games Jedi Oucast and Jedi Academy will be released now.

What makes you think that?

Gez said:

Valve has an in-house game division? I thought they just bought out a few indie/modding teams from time to time (Counterstrike, Team Fortress, Portal, Left 4 Dead, Alien Swarm, etc.)...

What game would they work on anyway? Half Life 3?

You about nailed it.

The problem I will mainly see in lucasarts shutting down is the cancelation of the new Star Wars 1313 game originally in development. :(

Technician said:

I'm not sure if its true or not but spending $300+ million on that last Star Wars MMO wasn't a good thing. $20 per month and they still won't see a return for 2 years if they can maintain 640,000 subscribers.

A lot of studios need to die. Gone are the days when 10 people could make a $50 game and have everyone go home a millionaire.

edit >> ^^^^ I am wrong that was Bioware. Clearly, I need to stop late night posting and just go to sleep.

geo said:

I'm not sure if its true or not but spending $300+ million on that last Star Wars MMO wasn't a good thing. $20 per month and they still won't see a return for 2 years if they can maintain 640,000 subscribers

SWTOR was Bioware and EA. Had nothing to do with LucasArts.

geo said:

A lot of studios need to die. Gone are the days when 10 people could make a $50 game and have everyone go home a millionaire.

Yeah, these days one guy can make a $20 game and go home a millionaire.

I'm not that excited about Star Wars 1313. If I'm going to be in the Star Wars universe I want to be a Jedi, not a bounty hunter. And if I'm going to be a bounty hunter, at least let me be Boba Fett.

I want Jedi Academy II. Go forth and conquer with that source code, computer guys.

CorSair said:

Because it was rather innovative game. And it hit the spot.

There were other cube building games before his, but he made them beyond just building. Anyway there are other millionaire games made by one person (Braid comes to mind) but I guess to be a millionaire you need to have 2 million or more. Usually hit indie games are made 2 people. A programmer and a graphics guy.

Granted I find the last greatest LA titles to be Dark Forces II and TIE Fighter, and those are from the 90s. They really haven't done anything remarkable since the 90s with their in-house dev team. Granted, I thought 1313 could've been interesting.

At least the JK codes are released now.

Clonehunter said:

Granted I find the last greatest LA titles to be Dark Forces II and TIE Fighter, and those are from the 90s. They really haven't done anything remarkable since the 90s with their in-house dev team.

TIE Fighter wasn't in-house, it was by Totally Games.

Death Egg said:

Wish they'd release the source code to Dark Forces while they were at it.

Dark Forces and Jedi Knight were developed in-house. Raven Software cannot release the corresponding code anymore than they can release the source code to Terminator Future Shock, Blood, or Giants Citizen Kabuto.

Well I have mixed feelings!

Some of my favourite games to this day are made by LucasArts, however these are from the 90's such as

Day of the tentacle
Fate of Atlantis
*others like above*

My most favourite which I still adore to this day has to be Xwing and Tie fighter

Jedi Knight 2 and Dark Forces is also decent stuff.

Anything more recent has just been pants!

So in one way im not going to miss anything new but I am deeply upset that I now know there is 100% no chance of an X-wing/Tie fighter re-make like they did with Monkey Island.

I SO want a remake of those two, but then again if they had I expect it would have been console 'compatible' and be nothing more then a boring shoot on rails 'simulator' or some crap!

I wish the community could update the Xwing engine and make new models and textures for it, thats most likely the best 'unofficial' way of doing it. I guess we need the source code for those games though?

*sigh*

I only really found The Force Unleashed series to be the worst recent Star Wars games, sure it had cool effects and graphics but it fell short of being a good star wars game.

I felt games like kotor 1 & 2, empire at war & forces of corruption, republic commando, dark forces/jedi knight series, battlefront 2, galactic battlegrounds & clone campaigns, shadows of the empire, rogue squadron series and such were good star wars games.

From what I heard, modern LucasArts was a massive waste of potential as they housed some amazing talent but barely did any actual development of their own. Disney had two choices: either ramp up internal development or just trim the fat completely and license their stuff to other developers. Seems they chose the latter.

Nomad said:

I don't think the big corporate side of the industry can really be compared with small PC companies. Pretty much two separate worlds (home computer gaming still thrived during the "industry" crash of the 80's for example).