Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Why people make so much speedmaps recently?

I'm the member of this forum since August, but I've never seen as much time the word "speedmapping" here as I see recently.

Why people start to ineterst in speedmaps in the recent months? Skillsaw (my ideal), Khorus, Doomhero85 and several others.

PS.: Don't misunderstand my words: it doesn't bother me.

I'm not doing it for any trend reason, I first started doing them in 06 when I was having issues with texturing and architecture. A friend who was something of a mentor to me suggested doing them.

But my current project was a combination of boredom and not being productive for the rest of the year. Base Ganymede maps are taking over 2 months each to make because I put so much effort into the flow and gameplay and that gets frustrating.

Speedmaps have been around for quite a long time, Sargebaldy's sessions and 32in24 being prominent examples.

I think speed<insert-activity> is a good way to increase your skill in that activity.

And maybe there's a trend going on.. one guy makes a nice looking speedmap, then another guy thinks, hey I can do it too.. and soon everyone's doing it.

I am not keen on maps made in 24 hours. It takes me about that long to build the first room. While some of the maps are ok I would rather play something that had some heart and soul put into it.

I started the speedmapping fad? Umm, no. I joined a speedmapping session, i think it was #22 and decided I liked it. Then I ran a few of my own. Speaking of which, while we're on the subject, does anyone wanna do another speedmapping session to commemorate Doom turing 18?

MajorRawne said:

I am not keen on maps made in 24 hours. It takes me about that long to build the first room. While some of the maps are ok I would rather play something that had some heart and soul put into it.

I'm a bit insulted by the implication that a speedmap can't have heart and soul put into it.

If anything speedmaps have more heart since the amount of creativity must be high to accomplish such a map. Typical maps run out of steam early on or are delayed, plagued with ambivalence.

Use3D said:

If anything speedmaps have more heart since the amount of creativity must be high to accomplish such a map. Typical maps run out of steam early on or are delayed, plagued with ambivalence.

Seconded. I do speedmaps all the time, and I feel I have drastically improved as a mapper through doing so.

In that span of three and a half years, i think I've managed to complete one map that took more than 24 hours to build...and it sucked pretty bad.

In short, if you dont care from speedmaps, dont play speedmaps!

I think 24 hours is more than enough to make a nice quality level. Doesn't sound like a speedmap. If it takes 24 hours to make one room, then I think your working methods need improvement.

Though I have to admit that creating something can take a long time, even if it's very simple. Sometimes when I have to decide if I do thing in way A or B, it can take me a week to get it decided, but when I start to actually work on it, I probably get nice results in a few hours. Then I feel dumb that I spent week deciding which way to do it.

So I think speed<insert-art-activity> is not just improving the skills, but also about becoming a fast decision maker.

MajorRawne said:

needs more heart and soul

DoomHero85 said:

Speaking of which, while we're on the subject, does anyone wanna do another speedmapping session to commemorate Doom turing 18?

Hell Yeah!

To make of speedmapping is a good way of improving, or of changing its method to conceive a map if we do not want to lose of time, it is necessary to learn has to concentrate at first on the gameplay and then to take care of the detail when the base of the layout is finished.

That is why slow mappers must to make some sessions of speedmapping for their next projects, it is really very intuitive, the mappers of cc4 needs it.