Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

Post your Mod/WAD ideas

Remember the game Strafe? That old school fps which poorly mixed the genre with rogue-lites and got rather bad criticism? I actually played it a lot and recently got all achievements, but the game probably never should have been a rogue-lite. So I kinda wish someone remade the game as a mod for Doom (or maybe Quake) with more typical Doom gameplay. At least the soundtrack deserves to be in a better game.

American McGee making maps for Doom 1.

Sandy Petersen making E1 or E4 maps.

John Romero making E2 or E3 maps.

Technically, I know that Sandy made E1M8 but it was merely a short boss-type level.

1 minute ago, an_mutt said:

Doom 2's equivalent of 'Thy Flesh Consumed'.

"No Rest for the living" is somewhat like that

1 minute ago, Mystic 256 said:

"No Rest for the living" is somewhat like that

Somewhat, yeah, but I also want something that adheres to the hell with orange sky theme throughout.

2 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

The Sky.

Maybe.

I can just hear a distorted drum going bud-ump-bump!

I have an outstanding idea for a 3 episode map set , no name for it yet but I would like to see it come to fruition ,you want to know the names of the episodes of this dream wad

19 minutes ago, Lord of all demons said:

I have an outstanding idea for a 3 episode map set , no name for it yet but I would like to see it come to fruition ,you want to know the names of the episodes of this dream wad

what is the dream WAD?!!?!?!??!?!?!!!!

32 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

what is the dream WAD?!!?!?!??!?!?!!!!

I'm gonna call it "root of all evil" it'll have 3 episodes , each having nine maps each and a secret map in each episode, BTW want to know the names of the episodes and maps of my dream WAD

9 minutes ago, Lord of all demons said:

BTW want to know the names of the episodes and maps of my dream WAD

hell yeah!!!

On 5/14/2020 at 7:58 PM, LiT_gam3r said:

hell yeah!!!

Episode 1 will be called "in the beginning" it will take place in an abandoned UAC facility overrun with the usual monsters from Doom and Doom 2 with 3 new monsters (cybruisers, spider demolisher, Annihilator ) ,the boss at the end of the episode is Thamuz ,an enhanced Cyberdemon with a BFG.

Episode 2 will be called "evil of two world's" The first three maps will take place in a city on earth while the rest of them will take place in a hellish fortress, it will have heretic and hexen feel and introduce some more new monsters (blood fiends, lurkers, infernos, bruiser demons, afrits,and archons of hell) , the boss at the end of the episode will be the Hades elemental (not one or two but three of them) , it will hard but a good challenge.

Episode 3 will be called "into the darkness" and will have a hexen feel , it will introduce some more new monsters (diabolist, hellhounds, vulgers, watchers, heirophants, wickeds , and soul harvesters) you'll also have access to a new weapon called the unmaker, the boss of this episode will be the overlord and will be very hard to kill, luckily you'll be supplied with some more health and ammo before you fight him, good luck.

I haven't found names for the maps yet, so trust me on this one.

Edited by Lord of all demons

24 minutes ago, Lord of all demons said:

(cybruiser, spider demolisher, Annihilator )the boss at the end of the episode is Thamuz ,an enhanced Cyberdemon with a BFG.

(blood fiends, lurkers, infernos, bruiser demons, afrits,and archeons of hell) , the boss at the end of the episode will be the Hades elemental

(diabolist, hellhounds, vulgers, watchers, heirophants, wickeds , and soul harvesters) the boss of this episode will be the overlord

I love your bosses and the large number of demons. Just one question. Will the Cyberdemon BFG have tracers on it? if so, then I would put it after the Hades elementals. but that's just a suggestion. 

Do you have a story planned out for it?

10 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I love your bosses and the large number of demons. Just one question. Will the Cyberdemon BFG have tracers on it? if so, then I would put it after the Hades elementals. but that's just a suggestion. 

Do you have a story planned out for it?

Not yet, working on it, I might have an epiphany later one, oh and it doesn't have tracers on it

I had the idea yesterday of having Doomworld put on a vanilla wad making competition with some shiny prizes. Seems like now is as good a time as any for a competition with the chance to win cool stuff given the way things are in the world today. When was the last time DW put on a competition with prizes? The only time I'm aware of is 10sectors which gave away a graphics card I believe. I was thinking another DTWID style project but make it a competition instead, with somewhat looser rules: instead of trying to make levels look like they were lost levels of Doom, the objective is to make levels using design principles from the original Doom levels, but in any aesthetic style the mapper wishes. If there is any rule that would be imposed it would be that homages to the original doom levels would be strictly frowned upon: be careful not to have areas in your designs resemble areas in the originals. What would be extolled would be original ideas and designs that used design principles from the originals to build a fun level that flows well and has strong atmosphere and sense of place. (I'll elaborate on that in a bit).

My impetus for this is that I realized after DTWID that I was too focused on the look and atmosphere of the levels and not enough on the gameplay. When Romero made maps the gameplay was probably the most important part, not just how the level would look. But I have so much nostalgia for the atmosphere of Doom that at the time I didn't appreciate just how much how the levels played affected the atmosphere and good memories of Doom. It wasn't just how the levels looked, but the gameplay, too, that generated their atmosphere: you walk out to the edge of a platform that juts out into a large slime pit and a walkway rises (E1M5), or, deep in a secret passage area you find a secret exit and a secret lift. The secret lift takes you to a grand view of one of the most distinct landmarks in the level, a large, raised stone walkway spanning a large slime pit (E1M3), or, you navigate a not-too-mazy containment area with thoughtfully placed imps throughout and hidden areas that reveal small secrets and a large one that feels like a secret military restricted area and requires a yellow keycard to access (E2M2). 

So, yes, levels that have a good sense of place and atmosphere are desired (all the examples above had this in spades), but the new mapsets would acknowledge the importance of good gameplay in building sense of place and atmosphere; that creating gameplay that is exciting and flows well with clever connections between areas is half the battle.

The other design element I cherish in the original Dooms is the size of spaces; or 'economy of space'. By the limits of processing power of the time, levels had to have a limit on vertex count and overall size of rooms/areas. I think these limitations are a big factor in what gives Doom it's charm, therefore these aspects of the original levels I'd like to see emulated as well. Emphasis should be on creative architectural designs that flow well and don't rely on a lot of detail to make a striking point. 

Not sure what this competition should be called, since it's not meant to be "if you found a lost level of Doom what would it look like" competition, but rather "make the most compelling, most interesting and fun level with strong sense of place you can using design principles from the original Doom". Maybe "Doom in Design Only"? or "Design of Doom". 

Judging the competition should probably be done by respected members of the community who don't want to participate. Some criteria would be objective but a lot of the judging would be subjective.

Objective criteria:

• Overall vertex count: the fewer vertices needed to make your map compelling and memorable the higher rated your map will be.
  • Overall file size (before custom textures): how many KB is your level? The smaller the file size, the higher rated your map will be.

Note that the largest map may win if its the most economically designed. There is no upper limit on size per se; rather, economical design is heavily favored.

Subjective criteria:

• Low vertex count relative to how much your map achieves: does your level exude economically clever design? Or is there excess detail or lazy design that could be tightened up? 
  • Does your level feel bigger than its file size indicates? Good! Economically clever design is weighted high.  
  • Does the level flow well? Is it fun to play? Is the gameplay fresh or are tired and overused design tropes repeated throughout? 
  • Do areas connect well? Are there windows into one area of a the level that you reach later on?
  • Does the level have a strong sense of place, while keeping fairly abstract design? (sorry, helipads and other real world representations will be penalized). 
  • Related to the above criteria: is there compelling use of textures to build atmosphere and sense of place?
  • Is the level careful not to mimic areas from the original Doom? (areas similar in texture use and architecture to iconic areas in the original Doom will be penalized).
  • Are there plenty of optional areas to explore and/or cleverly designed secret areas? The more of these types of areas not required for completing the map (and done well) the more higher rated the map will be. Note that optional areas should be seamlessly incorporated into the map and not feel like they were tacked on afterwards for judging points. 

May the best Doom level win.

In summary, I believe economical design is best design, and the original Doom designers were forced to be as economical as possible to maximize their vision within the limits of the computing power of the time. This competition hopes to inspire mappers to capture some of that original inspiration and ingenuity.

If there are others like me who didn't really need their stimulus check and are interested in seeing this as a competition I'd be willing to match up to $200 towards prizes. I think a prize pool of $600 would be awesome. Maybe @Linguica could score a great deal on gear that could be promo'd on the site as a prize (instead of a cash prize). 

I'd like to see three WADs.

1. A metroidvania styled WAD. I don't believe this to be currently possible in Doom but I would love to see a large level with upgrades to allow for more progression. Dooms traditional map design already shares some core elements that make up the metroidvania genre and I think it would be amazing to see those explored.

2. A Cosmere themed modification to Doom. If you've never read any of Brandon Sanderson's works I would highly recommend them, but I believe the magic systems and worlds present would be a great fit in the Doom engine.

3. A Great Deku Tree WAD. I've always thought it would be cool to kill demons inside of Oot's first dungeon.

Edited by Navaden

On 4/10/2020 at 1:04 PM, LiT_gam3r said:

Not everyone is great at creating DOOM WADs but everyone has an idea of a WAD they wish was made. Let's make a list of WADs that we wish existed.....

-

-

.....I'm sure somebody out there would be willing to make a WAD that you thought of!

A wad for itself.... a certain mod previosly made has alot of enemy behavior changes(along with graphics/sounds)....   id like to take the one aspect, changes Pinky into a "suicide bomber" that blows up on contact. It made the game a bit harder and interesting. Change the sounds and possibly monster graphics and it would be a great stand-alone mod.

8 hours ago, Defdock said:

A wad for itself.... a certain mod previosly made has alot of enemy behavior changes(along with graphics/sounds)....   id like to take the one aspect, changes Pinky into a "suicide bomber" that blows up on contact. It made the game a bit harder and interesting. Change the sounds and possibly monster graphics and it would be a great stand-alone mod.

What would be even more fun would be to import the demolition squads from warcraft two! They’re a small quadron of dwarves that charge their target and blow up on impact.

I like @Hellbent's idea! you should post it as its own thread!

On 5/16/2020 at 11:12 PM, Defdock said:

A wad for itself.... 

that is pretty cool too!

I love all of your ideas! maybe someone out there in the cosmos may want to make some of these things. 

thank you all for participating! 

On 5/17/2020 at 6:48 AM, Hellbent said:

What would be even more fun would be to import the demolition squads from warcraft two! They’re a small quadron of dwarves that charge their target and blow up on impact.

Perfect!

Edit: Tomorrow il be picking up/borrowing a buddies laptop. I haven't a clue what wad editor to use.... but im going to attempt to "steal" the suicide bomber coding from Moon man😑. I wanted to attempt to change the sounds/sprites if i can even read/find the coding once i open that BS wad.... those dwarfs are a perfect replacement. Those bombers are definatly "fun".... get to the end of the map, open the exit door and here come bombers from that room and kill you RIGHT BEFORE you finish the level.

Edited by Defdock

Some weird wad ideas:

1) An all-black WAD which would be practically an audio game (playable also for blind people). Basically, it would be very simple - simply set all lighting to zero. It should obviously have monster placement and such according to the increased difficulty, and "audio landmarks" in the form of different crushers, lifts and the like. (I saw actually this already exists but not as a WAD but a Doom-inspired game called Shades of Doom).

2) A WAD specifically designed for pacifist play. It should include slaughtermaps with lots of infighting and even maps that could be "pacifist-UVmaxed", and of course be designed to have interesting gameplay

On 5/16/2020 at 10:14 PM, Navaden said:

1. A metroidvania styled WAD. I don't believe this to be currently possible in Doom but I would love to see a large level with upgrades to allow for more progression. Dooms traditional map design already shares some core elements that make up the metroidvania genre and I think it would be amazing to see those explored.

I would also like to see that and I think it would be possible even in a vanilla-compatible wad. The radsuit is already present as an potential obligatory item to progress, and I can imagine ways to require the rocket launcher to open doors (similar to Super Metroid's bomb doors), the V-sphere could be required to pass a otherwise impossible battle (like in some Sunder maps) and maybe even the blur sphere could be used in that way (chaingunner gangbang?). I have once seen a Metroidvania ZDoom wad but its gameplay at least at the start was very "classic Doom" so I lost interest.