Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomDan

Doom 3 monster redesigns

Which monster redesign in Doom 3 did you like the most and which one disapointed you?

I loved the new Bulldog demons and the new Mancubus.I didnt like the new Cacodemon.It looks more like a Octabrain from Duke Nukem then a Cacodemon from Doom.

emmm.... the new zombies are nice, but very "Resident Evilish"....

I like the lost souls and demon too, very scaries, also the mancubus, and the "arachnotron" (its not the same, but they are very "spidy")

I was very dissapointed too with cacodemons. Very small.

I want a better cray war sound to Cyby...

Mr. Chris said:

Imp should have remained 2 eyed.

Hmm really? I liked the multiple eyes. I liked it better in earlier media when they lit up red though. I would have appreciated an arachnotron.

The zombies with guns that were based off the original DOOM zombies were really cool, in my opinion. They really stand out in today's games where you generally fight humans or aliens or whatever.

I mean, hey zombies with guns. Not exactly something you find often. Unique.

If they made a archnotron in Doom 3 I think they should make it look more like the Doom 64 version then the original.I really liked that version.

I don't think there's a single redesign that I dislike, but there are a few instances where I either appreciate the original Doom design more, or consider the two either too different or too similar to really compare.

I thought the Imp was an excellent redesign, making it more predatory and alien. The Pinky redesign was pure awesomeness. The Revenant and Arch-Vile were both nearly identical to their originals, while the Mancubus merely had a few enhancements. The Cacodemon was a brilliant redesign, and the Hell Knight was more predatorily threatening than his goat-legs counterpart. The Lost Soul is entirely different, but a totally excellent concept and execution. And the Cyberdemon is simply a different interpretation of all the aspects that made the original so awesome.

Quite frankly, all I really missed were the Mastermind and Arachnotron. All the new designs were satisfying.

I found all the redesigns good or great. I know how some of you are with the Cacodemon. But face it. It's in a different atmosphere and a different world, and if the Caco was all bright and colorful, it would contrast too harshly with the surroundings and not blend in well. True, one eye would have been better, and it could be bigger, but it was nonetheless a good redesign. Good. Not great.

Loved virtually everything bar the Cacodemon. Doesn't... look... evil. Closest thing to a criticism I can come up with in regards to anything else is that the Trite is too much of a 'The Thing' ripoff.

The SMM/Arachnotron are terribly missed, btw.

trite could also mean "of minor importance". Maybe a reference to the fact that they are controlled by the vagary.

I like most of the redesigns, love some! the mancubus is AWESOME, so are the zombies. Cacodemon goes ok with me, the imp would have been fine with 2 eyes but I don´t mind.

Something that annoys me a bit: The monster sounds! Listen to the Revenant roaming, the arch vile, the imp, the cacodemon dying. It´s like id tried to be non-original with the sounds at all costs.

From worst to best: Bad, disappointing, ok, good, perfect.

Z-secs and Chaingun-Commando: Perfect
Imp: Fine
Demon: Fine
Lost Soul: OK
Cacodemon: Good
Revenant: Perfect
Mancubus: Good
Arch-Vile: Perfect
Hell-Knight: Good
Cyberdemon: Disappointing

And to include the weapons:

Fists: Good
Chainsaw: Perfect
Pistol: Perfect
Shotgun: OK
Chaingun: Perfect
PlasmaGun: Good
BFG9000: Perfect

Hmm, I know the Caco looks nothing like the old one, but it's actually the redesign I applaud the most. The old one just looked too comical - the new one not only doesn't look comical, but it really looks demonic in my eyes.

I miss the "one-eyed" look though.

im disappointed in the imp and the hellknight, ONLY because i wish they had 2 eyes and were demoney

My favorite, though the monster itself sucked, would be the Cyberdemon.

I was dissapointed in these monsters:

Cacodemon - Too small and looks like a curled-up sperm

PinkyDemon - IT'S NOT EVEN PINK! The mechanical legs also were kinda dumb...but I can live with it.

Imps - They're gray...gray's boring..thats about it

Mancubus - The flap looks dumb

To nit-pick

Hell Knight - I wish they would have kept it looking a little bit more like the first Hell Knight... Those horns, the noises, it was so cool.

I think the best redesing would be the Lost soul. It kicks major ass compared to the generic flaming skulls of the original. And blends in perfectly with the bio/mechanical theme of the game.

The New Pinky is also one of my Favorites it has the feel of this animal like beast from the original, but has these two mechanical hind legs powered my a harly type engine from hell. I still love the old one though. Nothing will ever replace it. And I don't care for the dark pink color since it only looked that way up close anyhow.

The Hell Knight is another Bad Ass design at the top of my list. The Mancubus got knocked down from my favorite to somewhere in the middle. due to the new monster designs rivaling it, plus I didn't relley like the flaps that much.

The zombies seem more generic like resident evil's. Unlike the originals. with the exeption of the z secs.

I htink they all look great. The only exceptoin being the Revenent. He still looks goofy to me. I'd hoped that he would recieve a bigger facelift than the rest, but oh well.

Amaster said:

I htink they all look great. The only exceptoin being the Revenent. He still looks goofy to me. I'd hoped that he would recieve a bigger facelift than the rest, but oh well.

Got a point. They could have really made the revenet look gross and sickning if they had exposed organs because they have transparebt skin.

GGG said:

I know how some of you are with the Cacodemon. But face it. It's in a different atmosphere and a different world, and if the Caco was all bright and colorful, it would contrast too harshly with the surroundings and not blend in well. True, one eye would have been better, and it could be bigger, but it was nonetheless a good redesign. Good. Not great.

Your deffinetly right with the colorful part it wouldent blend well with the surroundings.

As for the revenant, i think he looks fine even though he can be more grotesque, still very nicely done.

Deathmatcher said:

trite could also mean "of minor importance". Maybe a reference to the fact that they are controlled by the vagary.

The name Trite I believe is used for small real world jumping spiders. Look for Trite Planiceps in Google.