Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leejacksonaudio

What Are We Drinking?

2 minutes ago, Adamast0r said:

Beer Hunters, Assemble!

I don't do that often. :)  I follow a local store on Facebook called AD Beer & Wine, and they announce new arrivals from time to time. I'll make a list from their announcements, buy from that, and maybe browse a bit more (not much - they're not cheap). That said, they've got an astounding selection for such a small local beer shop. Hardly any wine, despite their name - they do primarily beer, from all over the world.

That sounds great. I don't have a Facebbok account, so I wouldn't know. However, I'd be very interested in perusing their wares.

As a rum drinker, I've recently fallen in love with Kirk and Sweeney 18-year. The taste is pleasant and smooth, great balance for prolonged sipping, avoids harsh burn or overstated sweetness. The aftertaste is oaky, very intriguing, makes you suck on your tongue, heh. It's not the cheapest one, but well worth the money.

19 minutes ago, dew said:

As a rum drinker, I've recently fallen in love with Kirk and Sweeney 18-year. The taste is pleasant and smooth, great balance for prolonged sipping, avoids harsh burn or overstated sweetness. The aftertaste is oaky, very intriguing, makes you suck on your tongue, heh. It's not the cheapest one, but well worth the money.

Rum is responsible (well, I am responsible, in truth) for getting me the drunkest I have ever been. Dear lord, I was so drunk I had a 3-day-long hangover afterward, and I do not exaggerate! The culprit was Bacardi's 151° proof rum in a drink dubbed the "Texas CupMelter." It's a party drink, intended to be mixed in a "stadium cup" (the kind you get at a football game or other stadium sporting event) that holds about 12 ounces. Here's the recipe:

1. Fill the cup full to the brim with ice.
  2. Fill the cup 1/2 full with Coca-Cola or other cola drink.
  3. Add Bacardi 151° Proof Rum to fill the other half of the cup.
  4. Replace the ice that the rum has melted.
  5. Drink before the rum melts the cup. :)

Drink one of these at the beginning of a party, and you won't need anything else to drink for the entire rest of the party. Note that I was in my early 20s when I concocted this drink, so my constitution could handle it on the not-too-often occasions when I went to or hosted parties.

Until one fateful night. The night we held a housewarming party for our new residence.  In the process of unpacking, I'd found a glass beer stein. I'm guessing that it held at least a pint, if not a liter. Before the party got under way, I mixed a Texas CupMelter in it and drank it down.

I passed out on the sofa before the third guest arrived.

I remember getting sick at one point in the night. Luckily, my wife was there to help me make it to the toilet before I threw up. I don't remember anything else from that night.

The next three days were sheer misery. I had to work a 10-hour shift each day on the overnight shift. Fortunately, I didn't have to drive - my wife and I worked at the same government agency, putting in the same hours in the same building. She drove each day, thank the maker, although I think she took the speed bumps in our neighborhood a bit too hard on purpose. ;)  My production at my job was reduced, naturally, on all three days. Things finally returned to normal by the fourth day.

I have never mixed a Texas CupMelter since.

22 hours ago, leejacksonaudio said:

I've had that! At a restaurant called Fritzl's in Rowlett, TX. He does authentic Austrian and German food, and serves authentic German beer on tap to go with it! It got hit hard by the D/FW Snow Disaster (-2°F). Pipes burst *everywhere* in his restaurant. His landlord has been an asshole about the whole thing, and his insurance company has been even worse.  Still, he finally started rebuilding. He should be open in about 6-to-8 weeks, if his luck holds out.

Damn I don't think I've ever had Optimator on tap, though I've had great beers on tap.   Must be amazing.   That's a real shame about that restaurant.   Hopefully he recovers well.

Edited by Gokuma

On 5/12/2021 at 2:38 PM, ReX said:

"honey and dairy"

"fish bladders" [WHAAAAAAT?]

"gelatin"

"insects" [WHAAAAAAT?]

i can see tiny insect parts being in there, but that's actually pretty normal for anything derived from plants. there's not a whole lot you can do about that tbh, and it's not really something vegans worry about as it's a normal part of agriculture. idk what fish bladders are doing in there tho lol

and to answer the question - an unhealthy amount of diet soda. never gonna drink alcohol cuz my family has a history of alcoholism

A few years ago Moonshine became fashionable. One of my neighbors would bring out different varieties (Banana-Flavored Moonshine, anyone?) during the neighborhood's annual New Year's Eve block parties. I'd say the Peach-Flavored variety was the best.

I had a little bit of moonshine since it got in style, but wasn't enthusiastic about it.   The old stories of it making people blind from careless/stingy makers not discarding enough of the beginning of a batch (which is bad methanol) kinda deter me.   I haven't heard of any such problems with the recent trend though.    And I have no problem with the old bootleggers who did it good quality.

Tea!  Unsweetened, no lemon, ice cold, very strong.  That's how I like it.

But as far as alcoholic drinks, I really like Alaskan Amber and London Porter when it comes to beers.  Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale isn't too bad, either.  Outside of beer, I really like properly made absinthe, and love Leopold Bros. when it comes to brands of absinthe.  Aside from that, I really like margaritas, and sake, but I'm not picky about brands when it comes to these.  Sometimes shots of straight tequila, whiskey (Bird Dog and Stranahan's are both really good), or rum (Kraken is my favorite here) are also really good.

43 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

absinthe

Quite the Bohemian, aren't we?

(Good for you, by the way.)

44 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

absinthe

I bought 60% 7dl absinthe once in my early 20s, drank almost the whole bottle in one night. At one point was at a balcony wondering if I was dreaming and could fly, but didn't feel like I was dreaming, so I didn't jump. Later I had misbehaved somehow, no idea what I did, but the person whose apartment it was, kinda throwed me out. Still lived with my parents and it was some 20km distance. Went to get my bicycle, started going home. In the middle of the journey completely forgot where I was going and where I was, better just keep going forward I thought. Occassionally I'd crash with the bicycle. Eventually notice I'm at the top of that very steep slope down near home. A moment of smartness, decided not to ride it down, but to walk the bicycle down. Got home, still drunk and dizzy the next day.

Haven't dared to buy it again, was such a scary experience, though now I'd be smarter and not drink almost the whole bottle like that.

The insect thing above is referring to Carmine, red dye from cochineal insects before artificial red dye. Not sure what beer would include it but red bitter liqueurs like Campari used to before switching to become halal/kosher/not gross. Other indie red bitter Italian producers still use carmine and I just put it out of my head when drinking them lol. It’s basically bugs soaked in some ammonia derivative IIRC to get their red out. Very far removed from bugs but not vegan and not religiously acceptable if bugs are banned.

Homemade mai tai, already a few sips in (hit the top perfectly when poured and float added)

E40A7F31-16DA-4732-9EBA-252397DBAD74.png.feab3f249c394637c85cd350c1cd51cb.png

Edited by insertwackynamehere

7 hours ago, ReX said:

Quite the Bohemian, aren't we?

(Good for you, by the way.)

nah I've just listened to too much gothic rock in my life

7 hours ago, ketmar said:

flammable... cheeper

Surely you're not referring to Sterno, are you? Or, worse, lighter fluid. Both are extremely flammable and are quite affordable.

[:wink:]

@ReX hey, any poison can be digested. you just need to keep trying!

Spoiler

...or not?

The best kind of fruit juice is, of course, grape juice.

I had some after lunch today. It was nice.

I am about to have chocolate milk, too! :D

At the knee doctor's office today, I had some "IZZE SPARKLING JUICE CLEMENTINE," furnished by my lovely wife. Having had IZZE products before, I was in no way surprised to find that clementine juice was not the first, nor the second, nor even the third ingredient listed on the can. It was, in fact, the eighth ingredient listed. Apple juice was the first juice listed, followed by grape juice. Caveat emptor.

Currently Mountain Dew, but after Lee's post, I'm craving some Loganberry now...

img_9912.jpg

Haven't seen that logo in FOREVER, man. Brings back memories...

22 minutes ago, leejacksonaudio said:

At the knee doctor's office today, I had some "IZZE SPARKLING JUICE CLEMENTINE," furnished by my lovely wife. Having had IZZE products before, I was in no way surprised to find that clementine juice was not the first, nor the second, nor even the third ingredient listed on the can. It was, in fact, the eighth ingredient listed. Apple juice was the first juice listed, followed by grape juice. Caveat emptor.

So, how did the appointment at the knee doctor went?

Obviously, you weren't euthanized right away but allowed to leave again, so the doctor must have seen some glimpse of hope? ;P

3 minutes ago, deus-ex said:

So, how did the appointment at the knee doctor went?

Obviously, you weren't euthanized right away but allowed to leave again, so the doctor must have seen some glimpse of hope? ;P

I was told, "I can't do anything for you right now." Too soon for another surgery to correct the "rubbery squeak" and rebounding swelling in my left knee surrounding my knee replacement implant. Instead, I've been prescribed outpatient physical therapy (I've been on home physical therapy) to try and get the joint under some semblance of control.

Oh, I see.

And euthanization wasn't an option? (just kidding, of course) ;)

1 hour ago, leejacksonaudio said:

Caveat emptor.

As with all things.

1 hour ago, deus-ex said:

Obviously, you weren't euthanized right away but allowed to leave again

Ha, f*ckin', ha! Reduced to gallows humor, are we? The poor guy is going under the knife tomorrow. Have some compassion. [:wink:]

1 hour ago, leejacksonaudio said:

replacement implant

Quite the cyborg we're becoming, no?

Back on topic: I make this chia drink as a quasi-dessert. In a 4 oz. glass put 1 tsp of chia seeds, pour soymilk almost until the top, add 1-2 tsp of sweet half & half (Dunkin' is my favorite brand because it consists pretty much just of milk, cream, and sugar). Stir periodically for about 5 to 6 minutes before consuming.

@ReX: Back on topic: I make this chia drink as a quasi-dessert. In a 4 oz. glass put 1 tsp of chia seeds, pour soymilk almost until the top, add 1-2 tsp of sweet half & half (Dunkin' is my favorite brand because it consists pretty much just of milk, cream, and sugar). Stir periodically for about 5 to 6 minutes before consuming.

I used to make chia "pudding" (the American-style pudding). Now, I've been mixing it in a smoothie. Dole, I think, has frozen components of a smoothie in a bag. Just empty out 1 3/4 cups, add 1 3/4 cups juice (I've been using cranberry juice or pomegranate juice (expensive - going back to cranberry juice)), and then put in your add-ins. I like 2 tbsp. chia seeds and 1 tbsp. medicinal strength Manuka honey from New Zealand, the kind they sell in pharmacies there (very expensive, but worth it). Muy delicioso. It makes a lot, so have a very large glass handy, like a 24-ounce mug. Sounds like an overdose, but it'll be gone before you know it. Slurrrrp ahhhh.

It also happens to be the only way I can get the beneficial Manuka honey into my wife's diet. She won't touch the stuff unadorned - "too medicinal tasting." I, for one, love raw Manuka honey on its own. Go figure.

This thread and a friend's post on Facebook made me think of this but if any of you happen to stumble across a New Zealand beer called Double Brown, do not touch it. Absolute swill. Think soda water with a hint of vaguely malty flavor. Some of my friends and family love it. My working hypothesis is they were desperate one day and bought it because it was so cheap and by about the sixth can it had permanently seared their taste buds off. So now that liquid malt ass is what they think good beer is.

Waaaaay back in the 1980s, when I couldn't really drink beer because it gave me heartburn, this miraculous brew appeared on the scene thanks to a Miller Brewing Co. trial run. It was Dakota Wheat Beer, it tasted wonderful, and I could drink it and not get heartburn!!! Then, one day, Miller ended the trial program, stopped production, and I lost my beloved Dakota. I mourned its loss until the dawning of the craft brew industry, when wheat beers began to reemerge. Still, I miss my Dakota.

Dakota-Beer-Can.jpg