Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Quake Remastered

1 hour ago, Devalaous said:

oh neat, so I can get my own copy of Malice and...Shrak was it? on the addon list? Playing the various 'unofficial add-ons' in the official remaster sounds like a guilty pleasure

Both are from q1mods.xyz, which, as of now, is still broken. The ones from Immorpher are mapsets with less radical change(s) on progs.dat and mostly anything else.

I mean that I actually own a few of those add-ons, I think I extracted ISOs off them after my computer lost its disc drive. Would be nice to 'install' them onto the Remaster, but I have no idea how I'd do that.

6 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

I mean that I actually own a few of those add-ons, I think I extracted ISOs off them after my computer lost its disc drive. Would be nice to 'install' them onto the Remaster, but I have no idea how I'd do that.

Pretty sure you need to add them manually on the addons.json file that can be found at C:\Users\[Username]\Saved Games\Nightdive Studios\Quake.

On 12/5/2022 at 10:18 PM, vyruss said:

Not related to the comments or conversation about QSS vs IW or anything in general, but...

HOLY CRAP GUYS THE LIMITEDRUNGAMES QUAKE BOX I ORDERED A LOOOONG TIME AGO FINALLY SHOWED UP!

I will never order anything from that outfit again, the price didn't feel right and the long delay with no explanation to shipping time extensions certainly left a bad taste in my mouth too...  The product is cute though!  I absolutely adore the steelbook case that the game software came in, reminds me of seeing the bargain-bin game my parents brought home after taking a sibling to an appointment - little did I realize how big an impact ol' Quake would have on me as a child.

My order arrived today. I have ordered quite some titles from LRG, and the reasons for the long delivery, as someone else here explained have reasons. Ordering from them is nothing for impatient people.

I ordered all three editions for the Switch, the standard edition is okay, as always. $30 for a simple physical release. The deluxe edition is a bit pricey, at $80. But i like those extras like the steelbook, the keychain, etc.

But the ultimate edition is really underwhelming. The box is really big, but does not look like the one in the promo. Only the upper side of the box have the print of that promo box, all other sides are plain black. The pin is really a pixelated mess, and the ring of shadows is a tiny bit of china junk. The shambler figure is okay, and i haven't had a deeper look at that rotating quad damage thing. I don't really know what it is why i feel like it isn't worth the $180, but the $130 Doom collectors edition gave me a far better feeling. Even though i had to physically destroy the game carts, and have to wait now for the patched replacements.

10 minutes ago, Quasar said:

Quake Enhanced is now available on GOG:

https://www.gog.com/en/game/quake_the_offering

As the one that personally advocated for it to happen, and did the basic work required for the build, I'll be here all day accepting apologies for the mean-spirited comments regarding this earlier :P 

On that note, thank you so much for your efforts.  Have a Merry Christmas / Happy Holiday season!

2 hours ago, Quasar said:

As the one that personally advocated for it to happen, and did the basic work required for the build, I'll be here all day accepting apologies for the mean-spirited comments regarding this earlier :P 

The timing of this and today's Quake Champions update couldn't have been more immaculate considering the disaster that happened yesterday lmao

14 hours ago, Quasar said:

Thank you for finally making this happen. I'm hoping that the GOG releases of Doom I and II gets their Enhanced versions fixed too.

On 12/13/2022 at 11:11 PM, cybdmn said:

The box is really big, but does not look like the one in the promo. Only the upper side of the box have the print of that promo box, all other sides are plain black. 

I have to correct myself here, i had the box opened in pretty low light. The Box have the prints on the sides, but they are really dark.

4 hours ago, AmethystViper said:

I'm hoping that the GOG releases of Doom I and II gets their Enhanced versions fixed too.

What's wrong with those?

Please can anyone help with the "addons" in the KEX menu? I'm using Linux and running the game with Ironwail; however, only Kex shows the addons menu. Kex works, if a bit slowly, in WINE; but incurs a network error when trying to connect to the server. Are these addons just stuff culled from Qaddicted that you simply get from the /idgames2 archive, or something exclusive?

10 hours ago, Delfino Furioso said:

What's wrong with those?

The classic cheat input method via keyboard (e.g. IDDQD, IDKFA) does not work in the GOG (and presumably Epic Games Store) release since it was updated to a newer version of Unity (2020.3) compared to Steam and Bethesda.net, and the add-ons menus have a problem where you can't scroll down the menu descriptions of the mods since this engine update for GOG. The Steam and Bethesda.net versions aren't affected since they're still uisng Unity 2018.

9 hours ago, Martin Howe said:

Please can anyone help with the "addons" in the KEX menu? I'm using Linux and running the game with Ironwail; however, only Kex shows the addons menu. Kex works, if a bit slowly, in WINE; but incurs a network error when trying to connect to the server. Are these addons just stuff culled from Qaddicted that you simply get from the /idgames2 archive, or something exclusive?

As far as I know, all the add-ons that have been added are not exclusive. Most of them that I've played are just older stuff that's been officially added to the "add-ons" list in the remaster, but it's stuff that you can get anywhere else, and use whatever source port you desire. Assuming of course that the source port is capable of playing the maps.

So yeah, I haven't seen anything exclusive to the KEX port. I mean, Dimension of the Machines kind of was, at first, but it wasn't long before it was running on other ports.

22 hours ago, Jello said:

As far as I know, all the add-ons that have been added are not exclusive. ... So yeah, I haven't seen anything exclusive to the KEX port. I mean, Dimension of the Machines kind of was, at first, but it wasn't long before it was running on other ports.

Thanks, Jello; I know the mods are mostly existing (e.g., SoA) and I'm not surprised new ones like DotM can be run with IW; but I'm talking about exclusive as in how to get them or even know what they are. I'm talking about literally the 'Addons' menu (not 'Mods'), where you have to log into a Bethesda account.

EDIT: OK, so I have infected my computer with a small Windows installation on the end of the hard drive and include it in the Linux bootloader :( The addons mostly seem to be also things that were released before, but some like Punishment Due, I'd never heard of. In short, Bethesda seem to be playing a con trick here, acting as if you are getting special content that they have made, unless these have been updated for the new engine, of course.

Edited by Martin Howe

I still cant disable the texture filtering in Quake 64, why is the option hidden now? At release I could turn off both the CRT with a console command, and the texture smoothing, now the filtering is forced. Is there a console command to disable it?

9 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

I still cant disable the texture filtering in Quake 64, why is the option hidden now? At release I could turn off both the CRT with a console command, and the texture smoothing, now the filtering is forced. Is there a console command to disable it?

No idea why it was hidden; but putting "r_texturemode nearest" into the console should change it if you do it after starting a game.

The option was removed for Quake64 because it was conflicting with the base game, so it no longer follows the cvar.

14 hours ago, Martin Howe said:

EDIT: OK, so I have infected my computer with a small Windows installation on the end of the hard drive and include it in the Linux bootloader :( The addons mostly seem to be also things that were released before, but some like Punishment Due, I'd never heard of. In short, Bethesda seem to be playing a con trick here, acting as if you are getting special content that they have made, unless these have been updated for the new engine, of course.

How is featuring community content and allowing it to reach a wide audience pulling a "con" ? The marketing has always been very clear that it's offering community-created mods that in most cases have existed for years.

16 minutes ago, Quasar said:

No idea why it was hidden; but putting "r_texturemode nearest" into the console should change it if you do it after starting a game.

This did it, thanks a lot! Didn't expect a response this quickly either :D

image.png

How I like my Doom and Quake: Sharp and pixelly. The CRT filter gives both my brother and I headaches UNLESS its on my Switch OLED in handheld mode, so unfiltered and un-CRTed is the only way I can play it on PC

Edited by Devalaous

14 hours ago, Martin Howe said:

I think you misunderstood it :)

The curated Addons of Fan Content are just a nice Way to bring those to an wider Audience, especially on Consoles.

13 hours ago, Quasar said:

How is featuring community content and allowing it to reach a wide audience pulling a "con" ? The marketing has always been very clear that it's offering community-created mods that in most cases have existed for years.

13 hours ago, Azuris said:

I think you misunderstood it :) The curated Addons of Fan Content are just a nice Way to bring those to an wider Audience, especially on Consoles.

Clearly I have. There's nothing wrong with featuring community content and making newbies aware of it.

What is wrong is (a) assuming that people will have seen the marketing in the first place and (b) the requirement to create and login to yet another online account. (The latter is especially odd if, as in my case, the product is bought on GoG :))

I only learned about the remastered quake via short snippets on social media and by mentions in the forums, so have not read any marketing; nor have I scrolled through loads of forum posts looking for 'small print' that I would have no reason to know existed.

Requiring an online account is usually a cynical ploy of some sort, especially when a small but popular company has been bought out by a giant or mega corp. So Bethesda requiring this when one may have no other need for it, gives the impression that it will be exclusive content created just for this release.

Given the number of people who, like myself, would buy this on spec just because it is a better Quake, and Bethesda must surely have been aware of this, it might have been better for Bethesda not to require login to something as there is no practical need for that. Presumably there is reason why they did it this way, but I don't know what that is.

Edited by Martin Howe

It's really just the same thing as with the Doom remaster and its own official add-ons. If you play on PC, there's not much value in the whole thing, since you already have plenty of ways to play add-ons natively. It's really only useful for those who play on consoles, since console manufacturers hate third party content and will only tolerate it, begrudgingly, if it's vetted by the game's publisher. The option still exists on the PC version of the remaster mostly because there's no real reason to remove it, and also there are a couple of exclusive mods (Quake 64 and Dimension of the Machine) that you couldn't legally get otherwise; but the rest is community content.

Thanks Gez, that makes sense; I've never owned any console more modern than a 1976 Binatone 'pong' alike, so had no idea about any of that.

It was worth paying £7.99 for the improved experience and to get DotM and Q64 legally, and it's good to know that the rest is out there already.

45 minutes ago, Martin Howe said:

Presumably there is reason why they did it this way, but I don't know what that is.

It's seen as part of the same system as multiplayer, which uses accounts as user moderation. I know from a user perspective it seems a bit odd as they do two different things, but it's mostly just down to menu boundaries and behavior, they both are major network resources.

And of note everything is designed around how consoles work, as Gez noted. The PC port is there to compliment the consoles, providing cross platform multiplayer functionality and being a convenient port to boot into that isn't the Win95 executable. Though still is the best way to play splitscreen and DotM oddly enough.

Edited by Edward850

1 hour ago, Martin Howe said:

Requiring an online account is usually a cynical ploy of some sort, especially when a small but popular company has been bought out by a giant or mega corp. So Bethesda requiring this when one may have no other need for it, gives the impression that it will be exclusive content created just for this release.

Yeah I don't defend it. It just wasn't going to happen at all w/o it, it's something they require. Probably mainly to do with imposing all the legalese in their agreements before you can interact with anything provided as a service.

Some of the "official" mods also have upgrades and improvements made during the preparation process that weren't present in the original releases. For one more extreme example, Terra has some balance and detail passes, coloured lighting, a reworked ending for one level, a previously-separate level merged in, and a whole new level for the ending.

Thanks, folks; I've learned stuff today :) Minor gripe that 'cross platform' doesn't include Linux, of course; I can understand supporting every distro would be madness, but would have thought Ubuntu based would be OK. Of course, since they're ultimately owned by they-who-shall-not-be-named, I'm not surprised :P I don't know if Ironwail (Linux port of Quake that handles the re-release) supports everything in the new content, but it certainly feels much better than the original, subjectively.