Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xdude_gamer

[CP] Community Project - Gothic21: Reviving the GothicDM style for GZDoom!

I'll take Map01. GothicDM is one of my all time favorites! Should we get a resource wad going? We can just use the sound effects and textures from GothicDM.

4 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

I'll take Map01. GothicDM is one of my all time favorites! Should we get a resource wad going? We can just use the sound effects and textures from GothicDM.

Yeah, totes!

Cool idea! There have been many "gothic in spirit" maps since then, but I'm not positive if there's any gothic through-and-through DM wads that are much fun made since. (Probably, I just don't know of them).

Anyway, I hope to see this picking up traction, and if you'd like to hook some more mappers, maybe try starting threads on the Zand, ZDaemon and Odamex forums as well?

Good luck on this one!

3 hours ago, Bobby “lolmcswagger” said:

I'm gonna take a stab at this, sign me up for whatever

I'll put you for MAP02.

4 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Cool idea! There have been many "gothic in spirit" maps since then, but I'm not positive if there's any gothic through-and-through DM wads that are much fun made since. (Probably, I just don't know of them).

Anyway, I hope to see this picking up traction, and if you'd like to hook some more mappers, maybe try starting threads on the Zand, ZDaemon and Odamex forums as well?

Good luck on this one!

Thanks for the good luck, I'll head there.

Oh ! I'm a great fan of the gothic style in general, I'm following this.

Maybe I'll submit for music composition as I'm a total noob for non-vanilla format maps.

Though I want to see the dev' of the map, for inspiration :D

So when you say "modern source ports", what format are you talking about? Limit-removing? Boom? MBF? UDMF? You should probably specify what the scope of these levels should be.

3 hours ago, Captain Toenail said:

I may be interested in doing a map for this. Some questions.

Are we using gothictx.wad or gothicdm as the resource wad?

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/graphics/gothictx

Is this aimed at Zandronum only as you mentioned UDMF format.

Can I include new decorative props?

This is aimed for really any source port, but mostly Zandronum and ZDoom. You can add new decorative props. We can use GothicTX as well, since it contains more textures over all.

2 hours ago, OpenRift said:

So when you say "modern source ports", what format are you talking about? Limit-removing? Boom? MBF? UDMF? You should probably specify what the scope of these levels should be.

In rules, I put

"1. UDMF, Hexen, or Boom format heavily advised. Unless you can make a nice vanilla-compatible map."

The map format rules don't really make sense. You should stick to a certain level of compatibility to keep the set coherent.

2 minutes ago, Decay said:

The map format rules don't really make sense. You should stick to a certain level of compatibility to keep the set coherent.

Ok rules changed.

1. Levels must be in UDMF or Boom format

4 minutes ago, xdude_gamer said:

Ok rules changed.

1. Levels must be in UDMF or Boom format

if you have both UDMF and Boom levels, won't that mean you'd need seperate wads for those 2 different level types?

Just now, Mr Masker said:

if you have both UDMF and Boom levels, won't that mean that you'd need seperate wads for those 2 different level types

Well... I didn't know that happened! UDMF only then, I'll change it. (sorry! amateur mapper here.)

1 minute ago, xdude_gamer said:

Well... I didn't know that happened! UDMF only then, I'll change it. (sorry! amateur mapper here.)

i mean technically you could put both in the same wad, it's just that if it was in a maplist along with each other, and a Non GZDoom player went through them, he'd be able to play the boom maps then crash at the udmf maps.

Just now, Mr Masker said:

i mean technically you could put both in the same wad, it's just that if it was in a maplist along with each other, and a Non GZDoom player went through them, he'd be able to play the boom maps then crash at the udmf maps.

It'd be fun to make Boom and UDMF maps in a seperate wad, but that'd be a bit of a waste of time if you could just make UDMF maps for all GZDoom and Zandronum guys to enjoy. 

Also why do the maps have to play like gothicDM? That shit sucks dude. Small, cramped, terrible spawn and weapon placement. Gothic is known for looking good, not playing good, and gothic99 just exemplifies that. You should considered something along the lines of "gothicDM done right" instead of basically forcing new maps onto a shitty framework.

9 minutes ago, Decay said:

Also why do the maps have to play like gothicDM? That shit sucks dude. Small, cramped, terrible spawn and weapon placement. Gothic is known for looking good, not playing good, and gothic99 just exemplifies that. You should considered something along the lines of "gothicDM done right" instead of basically forcing new maps onto a shitty framework.

Well yeah. Altered rules so that people don't make shitty cramped maps.

Basically, maps have to have some sort of space. In Gothic99, rocket launchers are just suicide waiting to happen, so at least give some room everyone!

So, ok, I think I will take the music slot of map10 :p

I'll surely compose something and see the map after

3 minutes ago, Briøche said:

So, ok, I think I will take the music slot of map10 :p

I'll surely compose something and see the map after

Ok, I'll mark your name!

You know what? I had quite fun doing the map for TWANGO project, so I'll give this one a chance as well.

I'll take slot 08.

I looked up the gothicdm & found a texture pack as well, so I'll learn their map designs & see what I can do.

I'm also aware of the controversy with gothic99 & hopefully not replicate it.

52 minutes ago, The_SloVinator said:

You know what? I had quite fun doing the map for TWANGO project, so I'll give this one a chance as well.

I'll take slot 08.

I looked up the gothicdm & found a texture pack as well, so I'll learn their map designs & see what I can do.

I'm also aware of the controversy with gothic99 & hopefully not replicate it.

Alright, I'll add you. Good to have you, my fellow TWANGO colleague!

* Gothic21 is for Doom 2: Hell on Earth

* This is meant for GZDoom, so use UDMF

* General rules/guidelines included in the post

* Resource pack is GothicTX

* Submission deadline is included in the post

UPDATE!: Less map slots now! Only 12 maps instead of 18 maps.

Basic text file and first three tracks made for Gothic21! Tell me if they suck.

Title theme:
Based off of Metallica's Sanitarium
D_RUNNIN:
Based off of Metallica's Day that Never Comes
D_STALKS:
Based off of Running From Evil (C# Tuning and epic-er instruments)

gothic21.zip