Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dusty_Rhodes

[SLOTS TAKEN!] Community Trunk, a cp in the style of CC1 and CC2

Got some work done already but need a little clarification. So, there is no progression meant from map to map, right? *in theory* my slot 12 could already have cybers, momma spider and so on? 

I was working on the map during the Christmas holidays. The layout is about 90% finished/planned in my head. Just need to add all the sectors in the editor.

This month, I am in the process of arranging a move and have very little time to spend on Doom. However, from mid-February onwards I should have plenty of time and I plan to finish this map somewhere end of February, beginning of March.

5 hours ago, Thelokk said:

Got some work done already but need a little clarification. So, there is no progression meant from map to map, right? *in theory* my slot 12 could already have cybers, momma spider and so on? 

Well, just make sure it's completeable from pistol - start and isn't too difficult, as this is a more casual experience. However, if it is difficult, we can restructure some maps and I can put you later in the wad.

4 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

I was working on the map during the Christmas holidays. The layout is about 90% finished/planned in my head. Just need to add all the sectors in the editor.

This month, I am in the process of arranging a move and have very little time to spend on Doom. However, from mid-February onwards I should have plenty of time and I plan to finish this map somewhere end of February, beginning of March.

Hey, no pressure. I know moves are very hectic and difficult. Contribute when you can. I hope it goes well!

@Dusty_Rhodes sorry for not many updates. i've been busy with other projects and outside work so i have not started on map31. i was planning to drop but if the deadline is more than a couple months out i will have time to hopefully cook up a nice secret map.

50 minutes ago, DFF said:

@Dusty_Rhodes sorry for not many updates. i've been busy with other projects and outside work so i have not started on map31. i was planning to drop but if the deadline is more than a couple months out i will have time to hopefully cook up a nice secret map.

Yeah there's still plenty of time. I'll be very excited to see what you come up with.

And a message to everyone that hasn't finished their map yet, please use the newest updated resource wad up in the op. Unless you want to use stock textures, which is fine by me. :D

Tiny WIP pic just to show I'm actually working on stuff :D should have an architecture prototype ready in a week or so. Concept is 'a fleshy stone keep'.

Spoiler

image.png.6fdc45774c157bc0af31d343ef56d4b7.png

Spoiler

image.png.93840c9c6a75f6d367e9471c925fe871.png

Edited by Thelokk

On 1/13/2022 at 8:25 AM, Cacodemon187 said:

I have nothing so far, been working on other projects lately

I plan to start work on my map soon but not in any hurry.

29 minutes ago, pcorf said:

I plan to start work on my map soon but not in any hurry.

We actually are getting close to 20 maps. So good timing!

42 minutes ago, Thelokk said:

Tiny WIP pic just to show I'm actually working on stuff :D should have an architecture prototype ready in a week or so. Concept is 'a fleshy stone keep'.

Hide contents

image.png.6fdc45774c157bc0af31d343ef56d4b7.png

Hide contents

image.png.93840c9c6a75f6d367e9471c925fe871.png

Looks good so far!

Alright everybody, general progress update:

Mapping is going smoothly and we are getting close to 20 maps! The art assets are almost all completed, with @The_SloVinator making a great titlepic. @Hitboi making a fantastic M_DOOM, @Astronomical for the excellent ENDOOM, and @SilverMiner for the very nice status bar.

So, everyone is doing a great job, what's left?

We need an intermission graphic, some midis (title track, intermission, and D_README for text screens), and MAPINFO\DEHACKED. I'll edit the appropriate strings when the maps are completed. The music and remaining art is up to you guys.

Silver Miner did suggest some nice midis in the Discord, but I'd love some original music. Thanks for all the great work people, you rock!

9 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

We need an intermission graphic, some midis (title track, intermission, and D_README for text screens), and MAPINFO\DEHACKED. I'll edit the appropriate strings when the maps are completed. The music and remaining art is up to you guys.

Well since ENDOOM was already chosen (and i forgot about it and somewhat gave up on it), I'm making D_DM2TTL. It's gonna sound trash but whatever.

3 minutes ago, Vladguy said:

It's gonna sound trash but whatever.

Don't set yourself up for failure. Just have fun and do your best.

4 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

community trunk stuff

Hey, you mind if I send you some music tracks I have made on Discord? Might tickle your fancy.

3 minutes ago, xdude_gamer said:

Hey, you mind if I send you some music tracks I have made on Discord? Might tickle your fancy.

Sure

39 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

MAPINFO\DEHACKED. I'll edit the appropriate strings when the maps are completed.

You still want me to help write intermission screens?

3 hours ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

We need an intermission graphic

Hey, I can do one! Sign me in.

Hey, if it's not against some forum rule could I ask for volunteers to do a little bit of testing on my map's prototype for this project? UV / HMP balance still needs to be ironed out, some textures are misaligned and no custom MIDI yet, but the main pieces should be there, and I'd like to get a sense of where I'm standing and the most glaring areas for immediate improvement. Thanks!

Stonefleshmaze.wad

Spoiler

image.png.a27eb4a881a0143adc71ade094ed22f1.png

1 minute ago, Thelokk said:

Hey, if it's not against some forum rule could I ask for volunteers to do a little bit of testing on my map's prototype for this project? UV / HMP balance still needs to be ironed out, some textures are misaligned and no custom MIDI yet, but the main pieces should be there, and I'd like to get a sense of where I'm standing and the most glaring areas for immediate improvement. Thanks!

Stonefleshmaze.wad

Hide contents

image.png.a27eb4a881a0143adc71ade094ed22f1.png

Absolutely, I'll test this soon and give you some feedback. Balancing can be difficult without playtesting.

@Thelokk Before I get to feedback on the map: this won't run in Sprinkled Doom, Crispy Doom, or PrBoom. You use ZDoom features such as slopes, these are not compatible with this project, which is shooting for limit removing. If you want to contribute to Community Trunk you will have to change the map format to Doom 2, not Doom in Hexen or UDMF, which only run in very advanced ports like GZDoom and Eternity.

Anyway, here's the good:

The lighting and atmosphere is well done, you give weapons at appropriate times, and the layout is very interesting.

The bad:

There's not enough ammo or health around, monster placement in the sewer areas is just evil, and you will be stuck blowing yourself up on wall geometry. And the area with the Cyberdemon is just too small to fight him. Even with infighting, I was pretty much out of rockets and shells and couldn't get past this area. This section could also really benefit from a plasma rifle.

So, this is a good start, but it needs some work. If you have anymore questions, feel free to post here.

18 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

@Thelokk Before I get to feedback on the map: this won't run in Sprinkled Doom, Crispy Doom, or PrBoom. You use ZDoom features such as slopes, these are not compatible with this project, which is shooting for limit removing. If you want to contribute to Community Trunk you will have to change the map format to Doom 2, not Doom in Hexen or UDMF, which only run in very advanced ports like GZDoom and Eternity.

Anyway, here's the good:

The lighting and atmosphere is well done, you give weapons at appropriate times, and the layout is very interesting.

The bad:

There's not enough ammo or health around, monster placement in the sewer areas is just evil, and you will be stuck blowing yourself up on wall geometry. And the area with the Cyberdemon is just too small to fight him. Even with infighting, I was pretty much out of rockets and shells and couldn't get past this area. This section could also really benefit from a plasma rifle.

So, this is a good start, but it needs some work. If you have anymore questions, feel free to post here.

Thanks for the feedback! Well well, I don't know how the target port thing slipped past me. Too used to defaulting to UDMF for its advanced stuff I guess. 

Nevermind then, since it seems like I'm not the one who's farthest behind even if I start from scratch, that's exactly what I'll do. Going to keep this map to myself for another project and cook up something different native to Doom for the Trunk, if that's ok. It's simply not feasible to fix all that will break by changing format. Will get back in a couple weeks or so. 

1 hour ago, Thelokk said:

Thanks for the feedback! Well well, I don't know how the target port thing slipped past me. Too used to defaulting to UDMF for its advanced stuff I guess. 

Nevermind then, since it seems like I'm not the one who's farthest behind even if I start from scratch, that's exactly what I'll do. Going to keep this map to myself for another project and cook up something different native to Doom for the Trunk, if that's ok. It's simply not feasible to fix all that will break by changing format. Will get back in a couple weeks or so. 

That's perfectly fine, glad you're still willing to submit a map. :D

On 1/21/2022 at 12:43 AM, Dusty_Rhodes said:

That's perfectly fine, glad you're still willing to submit a map. :D

So, as my school teacher used to tell me, it's important to turn a failure into a 'teachable moment'. With this mindset, I set out and redone the map from the ground up, in Doom2 format, no ZDoom weirdness. Reskinned the whole thing as well, only stock textures used. Any good soul that could give this a spin and tell me if it ascribes to the Trunk's format requirements? Gameplay wise I'm still waiting for feedback from some playtesters, but a lot of reccomendations have been already implemented. If anyone has more, it's all more skulls for the skull throne. If format is fine I might actually submit this one, otherwise this one goes to another project and will instead submit another WIP to the Trunk. Thanks!

P.s: I usually use GZDoom exclusively, but I also gave the map a run on PRBoom. Worked fine, but who knows...

StoneskinGarrison.wad

@Dusty_Rhodes, I have drawn a map on paper and will start mapping, will post screenies.

EDIT: Initial work. These are some nice textures man, I have only been working with vanilla resources and having all these extra is so much fun.

ctrunk.png

Edited by Pechudin

On 1/29/2022 at 10:00 AM, Pechudin said:

@Dusty_Rhodes, I have drawn a map on paper and will start mapping, will post screenies.

EDIT: Initial work. These are some nice textures man, I have only been working with vanilla resources and having all these extra is so much fun.

ctrunk.png

Looking great so far! Glad you like the textures, Gothic DM tex is a great resource. 

14 hours ago, Bryan T said:

I just downloaded the file in the OP and I ran into a missing texture on map02. RTEX044

Screenshot_Doom_20220130_023356.png

Ah, sorry, this is an old resource pack. I forgot to update it as @SilverMiner made some really good changes. I'll update that soon. 

Thanks for pointing it out.

1 minute ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Looking great so far! Glad you like the textures, Gothic DM tex is a great resource. 

Ah, sorry, this is an old resource pack. I forgot to update it as @SilverMiner made some really good changes. I'll update that soon. 

Thanks for pointing it out.

Does updated resource pack mean I will need to use a new texture pack for my map? Will that break something potentially?

Just now, Pechudin said:

Does updated resource pack mean I will need to use a new texture pack for my map?

Don't worry, it just cleaned a few things up. The textures will still be there and if there's any issues I'll help you fix them. :D