Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dac

[Community Project] Thirty Monsters Challenge [See you in the other thread!]

29 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

@Savarin

I'm getting motion sickness just looking at the video. Unlikely I'll be able to playtest this one.

@Biodegradable Thanks for attempting my map lol

Alright so a known issue about the map is that the switches you're supposed to shoot are way easier to hit than they're supposed to. I knew about this already, but wow it's quite a huge problem after I saw your playthrough... I tested it on GZDoom but not as much, it seems like it's even worse on that port. I'm currently working around that, my bad!

@Thelokk Yeah this thing has been bugging me for a while, it was also brought up by a friend of mine... all the lights and effects are supposed to give a chaotic vibe, basically an assault on the senses, however if it's too annoying I should tone them down a bit...

@dac, here's an updated version of my map with a death exit:  Windswept v2

Changes:

• The two eastern mancubi (or Hell Knights) in the first section are now revealed by a new walkover linedef.  This linedef is triggered when you enter either of the western rocket cubbies.
  • Speed of initial trap trigger reduced from turbo to fast.
  • Stimpak in opening area changed to medikit.
  • Added two rockets to the second section.
  • Added a death exit.
  • A few minor visual adjustments.

I think these changes make the map play a little smoother without really needing to reconsider its place in the overall order.

On 3/2/2022 at 6:19 PM, dac said:

Map Name: Red Mantle, Blue Mantle

Author: dac

Theme: Marble and brick and a bit of caves

Music: 'The Caco's Best' by Peter Lawrence (From the Alien Vendetta MIDI pack)

Difficulty Settings: Not Implemented

Ports Tested: DSDA-Doom 0.24.1, GZDoom 4.7.0, Woof 9.0.0

Description: A small fort of red, a small cave of blue.

Notes: I will do a better detailing pass at a later time, add difficulties, the works. For now, here's a map!

Download

This map was super easy barely an inconvenience I think Bio was impressed

Well alright then, guess it's gonna be MAP01 of beta2 😛

(Serious though, probably gonna be somewhere in Taxing)

Map Name: Cross Counter

Author: Luleta

Theme: town

Music: Street Fighter III 3rd Strike - You Blow My Mind (Dudley's Theme) (arranged by HBreit)

Difficulty Settings: partially implemented mostly more healthpacks/ammo (also player starts r there, and even deathmatch starts, but not tested :c)

Ports Tested: dsda-doom 0.24.1

Description: a cross shaped street with a storage, a tiny house, an abandoned building and an EVIL FACTORY MURDERMACHINE GUARDING A WICKED BOSSFIGHT >:D

Notes:  finally getting into mapping again after switching to linux and having trouble using UDB, got it sorta working. made this map starting like "im just gonna make a 32in24-esque map" ended up detailing it way more and putting more love into it hah.

also i've been playing a bunch of 3rd strike lately, so the name is a reference to that ;P

ps: i appreciate criticism

download

may i have a slot? @dac

Edited by Luleta

@dac Are you willing to take a submission from another very new mapper? The current submissions are looking top-notch, but I don't want to let that scare me into not submitting just because the existing content is at such a high level. I doubt I'll have something ready by the March 6 beta, but April 1 should be absolutely doable.

10 minutes ago, Large Cat said:

@dac Are you willing to take a submission from another very new mapper? The current submissions are looking top-notch, but I don't want to let that scare me into not submitting just because the existing content is at such a high level. I doubt I'll have something ready by the March 6 beta, but April 1 should be absolutely doable.

We already have a few 'first maps' in here, so you'll be right at home.

@Luleta Welcome aboard! Good map, loved the details, the last two fights are a bit of a spike in difficulty but nothing too harsh.

@Savarin Tested your map, and, uh, my main thought is this would make a perfect secret map if this was a traditional mapset 😅

4 minutes ago, dac said:

@Luleta the last two fights are a bit of a spike in difficulty but nothing too harsh.

i thought so, easy and normal contain megaspheres and soulspheres in place of the medikits. and a plasma gun.

i think its the result of too much playtesting haha, ill probably give more health, i want it to be hard but not too frustrating.

i believe the map layout is a little too square-y but im not sure how i could make it look better tbh.

1 hour ago, dac said:

Tested your map, and, uh, my main thought is this would make a perfect secret map if this was a traditional mapset 😅

That's great to hear, thanks! I like experimental stuff.

(I swear I swear it will play much better, my baaad)

Update on my map ( finally!!! have been busy with IRL bs )
It is 100% done now at least in terms of feature completeness, although a few border parts are underdetailed, and gameplay may need ironing out thru playtesting.

3sPcCUR.png
HKy1AVU.png
TkdZ4DR.png

Map Name: Kranion
Difficulty Levels: YES!
MIDI: Chimes of Death by Jimmy, from Claustrophobia 1024
Ports used for Testing: DSDA-Doom 0.23, Woof 6.2, Prboom-plus 2515
Format: MBF21
Author: Knifeworld

30MC_KW1.zip

Edited by knifeworld

@dac Here's another update to my map. 30mc_worst_v3.zip

I have added alternate side routes that hopefully should be less puzzling to get through.

I'll try to focus on getting difficulty settings implemented next.

Submission form (has not changed):

Spoiler

Map Name: Recharging Station
Author: Worst
Theme: Techbase
Music: "Nuns With Shotguns" by MFG38
Difficulty Settings: Not yet implemented.
Ports Tested: DSDA-Doom-0.24.1
Description: A dubious tech facility that has gotten infested with demons.
Notes: Map contains plenty of scripting, it could break if noclip or resurrection cheats are used. It is intended to be played without jumping, some parts could be entirely skipped otherwise.

@Luleta Groovy map, fam. That bit at the end is cruel, buy doable and I think most people will get a kick out of the challenge. I enjoyed the simple yet elegant progression and traps, plus your texture work was also nice and tight.

@Clippy Thanks for playing and for the video! Love the thumbnail art :D

On 2/27/2022 at 9:47 PM, Clippy said:

Fun little map - does it start with 30 monsters and more spawn in?

After you start the map, the only monsters that spawn in are the ones spitted out by pain elementals. Everything else has been there from the start. (In cooperative you could see what is actually happening if one player sits behind in the central area. Or if you can't be bothered with that, I guess you could just open it up in a map editor.)

Monster count exceeding 30 in GZDoom automap:
The monster count never exceeds 30 if you play in DSDA-Doom, but in GZDoom it is counted differently. GZDoom increases the monster count for each lost soul spit out by pain elementals, as well as for any monster resurrection that happens.

So many puzzles!:
Uhh great job solving all the puzzles that most people would never even realize were puzzles in the first place!

the middle one with the platforms that only change when you look a certain way was the most unique thing I have seen

Heh, seems like there's a little misinterpretation with this puzzle. The narrow 'bridges' that raise and lower get affected whenever you step on one of the square platforms with the yellow lights above them. It doesn't actually matter at all which direction you are facing or looking at when you walk on them.

the last one was kind of just a switch hunt to crushers which weren't essential to avoid the Archies - Bio stopped me from murdering them too soon haha

Yeah the last part is doable without doing the switch hunt too, but I think it's probably more fun to kill them through completing the switch hunt :)

Edited by Worst : fix typo

Map Name: Ursine Complex

Author: Death Bear

Theme: Nukebase

Music: "You're Winner" by Lippeth

Difficulty Settings: Yes. IDT I broke the individual monster limit rule, but bigger boys that I put in UV, some are swapped out in lower difficulties. Also included CO-OP Starts.

Ports Tested: dsda-doom 0.24.1, GZDOOM 4.7.1

Description: Small little Techbase with Nukage. Lots of green, warning strips, and flashy lights. Just like I like 'em. 

30mc_deathbear_v1.zip

So I've been having a real bad time healthwise these recent days, gonna turn the beta release into a deadline for those who want their maps into beta2 and release it this week when things get better on my end. But so far, I'm impressed with your maps, this set is gonna be so good

18 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

@Death Bear I loved it, mate. Bit stingy on health though! hehe ;^)

Thanks! I would forget the door lol I’ll add some more health in too.

Ursine Complex v2
- Added more health. I hope I wasn't too generous, but I guess you can tell me.

- Fixed that red door to stay open this time.
- Added lights in the back of that PE closet that I forgot haha

30mc_deathbear_v2.zip

I managed to complete my map!

Spoiler

23QznrI.png

Q5Ixb4a.png

lLmQq4O.png

Map Name: Killer on the prowl

Author: DMPhobos

Theme: Dark castle

Music: "Etude for the Killer" from Castlevania Chronicles

Difficulty Settings: Implemented (Monster placement is the same across all difficulties, this is intentional)

Ports Tested: DSDA-Doom

Description: Some sort of a dark castle map, gameplay wise a bit different to what im used to make as i tried to have combat pieces where each monster is a threat to the player without going too far. It uses a boss special, so this map is only compatible with UMAPINFO, it also means that it's broken for -nomonsters runs

It started as a tomb map of sorts that was more or less inspired by this moody track as seen on the early shots, until i changed it for the castlevania tune, then morphed into a dark castle of sorts heh.

Edit - Uploaded a new version with a couple of fixes

dmp30mc v2.zip

Edited by DMPhobos : new update

Right.

I'd teetered on the verge of not doing this (I have non-community, mostly-OTEX UDMF project I've been hard at work on), but I really like mapping in MBF with CC4 (and family) texture packs, and I'd like a quick break in style.

Inspiration just hit me, so I'm giving myself a week to get a working first-version of what I'm tentatively naming Contamination Station.

alright, i did a lil update

-fixed some textures

-balanced skill levels

-detailed a bit better :D

30mc_luleta_v2

i think this is it, unless bugs are found or someone has ideas to make the red brick building look less ugly and square ;P

Map Name: Coupled Architecture

Author: Matacrat

Theme: Gothic

Music:  Island of Ruins from Ardy Lightfoot

Difficulty Settings: Implemented

Ports Tested: DSDA-Doom, Gzdoom

Description: Tried to go for a gameplay first approach. 

Notes: I don't know if I've made a critical mistake regarding the last battle.

30mc_Matacrat.7z

Spoiler

1646115502_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1).gif.b63c407436350215b8479d7fb83fae89.gif

Edited by Matacrat

Looked in the OP and in the last page or so of the thread but didn't see anything about this—is the project still open to new mappers, or is the April 1st deadline just for people who have already signed up to finish getting their maps in?

edit:

On 2/28/2022 at 7:31 AM, dac said:

As long as you can get a map out before April 1st, you're good.

Read back another page and saw this.  Will assume it still applies, and might try to make something.

Edited by jerrysheppy

Yeah, as another reminder I accept new maps up until April 1st, and just to make sure that's when the entire planet is on April 1st, not just New Zealand.