Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egg Boy

Squonker 3 | Now on Idgames

This wad is so good that I got covid and couldn't map for it. Least my wonderful music will soothe the souls of many.

No text file in the zip?

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR >:(

(looks real good in the screenies btw)

1 minute ago, Doomkid said:

No text file in the zip?

will be included when I upload to idgames, soz

So i played it, and i have to say first: Congrats on releasing your Sequel Community Project! HOWEVER, there are a few things that i will talk about, And in order to give everyone a fair chance, I'll break up each map and write about my thoughts/opinions on it:

(the whole playtest was played on HMP Difficulty)

EDITED TO INCLUDE MAP04 REVIEW!

Map01: Great starter to this project, the Medieval textures paired with the great detailing's makes it a very memorable first starting map, It's difficulty is pretty good, and i really love how tightly crafted each section of the map is, Solid work!

Map02: The start to a Promising map, But WAY TOO SHORT! you also get bonus points for using "Going Down The Fast Way" as the map music XD.

Map03: This one is a bit more to talk about, Essentially it boils down to Switches and Traps, which can be good way to throw the player off, but become very easy to recognize after the first 3 times it is used. For starters i felt like hitting a brick wall while playing this map, The enemies that ambush the player are too High tier, coupled with the cramped level architecture makes it a nightmare to play on anything higher then HNTR. Besides these big glaring issues, i really do like the way it looks, the texturing shines the most with this map and the many different ways you can use them.

Map04: This map is one of my Favorites in this project! It's simplistic but super detailed design and wonderful use of textures feel very much like something from Heretic or Hexen, but also stays true to the doom formula and adds it's own touch of personality to it. Really solid map!

Map05: Map 5 is a back to back favorite of mine, It's interesting gimmick and tough difficulty shine through greatly, the higher Enemy count feels like a natural progression of the map pack, Showing off more of the Medieval stylings that this wad seems to love lol, Overall Solid map

Map06: It has a wonderful atmosphere, but plays like a brick. The Main issue i found was how cramped the level was inside the castle, There was barely any room to deal with the enemies coming at you, and also getting caught up on level geometry constantly was a bit annoying. My Best advice to you would be to make the hallways more roomy, but it is a great start to a map.

Map07: OK, i know that this map was a elaborate troll lmfao, at first glance i was take aback by how weird and just bad looking it was, but as i played more it got slightly better, though i feel like Progress that the last 2 maps made was lost in the name of this weird gimmick, Still not bad, but could be better

Map08: I do not like this map tbh, the amount of enemies and the area designed are not very well thought out, it's "Shove a million enemies in a room and be done" kind of deal that doesn't stack up against what i played before, A pretty disappointing conclusion to this overall pretty good Mapset.

With all this said in mind, i'd give it a solid 6/10, A good effort all around but it needs some work.

Edited by Morpheus666

9 minutes ago, Morpheus666 said:

genuine review (thanks!)

Alrighty, so I'm not sure what you're referring to with map04, I just downloaded the wad and it appears to be on the up and up for me. Another point I want to bring up is that this was a speedmap project made in 3 days (in particular I made both of mine in a single night), I am not adverse to criticism, but I do think you might have missed the tongue in cheek nature of the OP. I am however, glad you gave it a fair shake without this context. 6/10 aint bad for something made in such a short time, eh? That being said, unless something game breaking is found, I don't plan on changing the wad too much. Worry not, Morpheus, me and the "team" have something a bit more polished in the pipeline.

4 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

glad you gave it a fair shake without this context.

oh lol! didn't realize it was a speedmap session, i will try Map04 again and see what's up and give it a proper review, afterall i want to be as thorough as possible (otherwise it drives me nuts lol)

18 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

No text file in the zip?

Was thinking the same thing lmao

Another cacoward winner is here! Good work, squonker 3 team! *Adding squonker 4 to the anticipated projects list *

Nice maps. Loved the midi rendition in 06 in particular. 

Few observations:

- In 03, there were green bricks in the pillar I'm pointing at, not matching with the rest.

- In 04, you can strafe-bump the YK from that ledge over there, then you could skip one last little trap if you want to.

- Same map, all the platforms on the toxic are also damaging, I assume on purpose and by no means a bad thing, though I mention it just in case.

- In 06, noticed a mini cell pack floating next to the YS.

- In 07, I don't know if this is part of the core aesthetic, or something related to an intercept overflow that followed that fight, but there were HOMs here (I get that those around the start are there on purpose, and that the map is meant to be silly). 

4 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

- In 07, I don't know if this is part of the core aesthetic, or something related to an intercept overflow that followed that fight, but there were HOMs here (I get that those around the start are there on purpose, and that the map is meant to be silly). 

You got an intercepts overflow on my map?  That’s awesome!!! :D

As for the various HOMs, they’re all very intentional.  The one in that screenshot is the result of a randomly chosen sector having tag 667 and not being textured on the back because views :D

12 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

- In 04, you can strafe-bump the YK from that ledge over there, then you could skip one last little trap if you want to.

I believe this was intentional, there are actually several skips in that map iirc. Also wanted to note I will be uploading RC1 to Id games later tonight, happy new year!

Oh man, this was a pretty good set. Admittedly, I lost my shit with MAP07 (sorry DCG) but I managed to give the last big slaughtermap an honest go and beat it. The rest of the set is good, challenging fun and I enjoyed myself.

Edited by Biodegradable

1 hour ago, Mostcus said:

Btw where i can get 1 and 2 part? Thanks.

Deep Squonker Lore incoming: this wad is a sequel to a wad @Skronkidonk and I found on idgames last week. There isn't really a squonker 1 necessarily, but there are 2 wads with squonk in the name "made" by the same person. These wads, especially squonker 2, are basically just 90s deathmatch maps with monster placement.

"The Squonker Pits"

Squonkamatic's Wad

Squonker 2

Howdy, all! Squonker 3 is now officially archived and will live on perpetually in the cyber realm (cyber punk) (retro future-wave) (very cool). No major changes were made to the wad, however the text file includes credits as well as a track-list for the midis. The OP has also been updated with the current link. Enjoy!1 and thank you for playing, as always.

image.png.138ef1f894fdb0739c0f41e87cf69b04.png

Get it, or something: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/s-u/sq3

Edited by Egg Boy

Very tricky map for 30 monsters lol I gotta stop expecting easy rides with this set - low monster counts but challenging - too many shotgunners lol 

23 minutes ago, Clippy said:

Very tricky map for 30 monsters lol I gotta stop expecting easy rides with this set - low monster counts but challenging - too many shotgunners lol

[VIDEO]

Honestly not enough shotgunners :v

Thanks for the playthrough Clippy, very entertaining!