On top of the central platform.

DIY-Dyna-Pic6.jpg.17d1b17cacd3ec61202f50d407c77782.jpg

Other side, showing the waterfall.

DIY-Dyna-Pic7.jpg.3366bf617939cf599262652d9a3cedaf.jpg

Mines.

DIY-Dyna-Pic8.jpg.c5edb278d19c995d008fc70972159654.jpg

Lava cave. :o

Edit:

Oh, by the way, I think this MIGHT be my most detailed map as I'm close to reaching 11000 sidedefs. O_o

This is such an awesome idea and aesthetic.  I know dick all about MBF but due to time constraints I don't think I'd do anything very elaborate and enormous anyway.  I'll throw something cute into the mix.

4 minutes ago, Stupid Bunny said:

This is such an awesome idea and aesthetic.  I know dick all about MBF but due to time constraints I don't think I'd do anything very elaborate and enormous anyway.  I'll throw something cute into the mix.

MBF is basically just Boom with a few extra things.

Would you recommend some Boom or MBF feature? I'm a beginner at mapping and never used those.

The number of textures is severely limiting, but at the same time it's part of the challenge. I'm glad I figured out a unique idea, although the geometry will be basic.

So I'm reading now.  I haven't dabbled much in Boom either but I've always wanted to and I think this'll be a neat way to do it.  I like a texture pack that only has like 16 textures to work with.

@game Having just established I know almost nothing about Boom I probably shouldn't be giving advice, but something really neat you can do with Boom involves putting voodoo dolls (extra, unplayable player 1 starts) in long hidden sectors, putting walkable linedef actions along those sectors, and then activating a wind/current in the hidden sector to create a conveyor belt that pushes the voodoo doll over the sequence of lines.  It basically lets you create scripted actions without actually scripting.  Going Down is full of really elaborate examples of this kind of thing.

3 minutes ago, game said:

Would you recommend some Boom or MBF feature? I'm a beginner at mapping and never used those.

The number of textures is severely limiting, but at the same time it's part of the challenge. I'm glad I figured out a unique idea, although the geometry will be basic.

Most of it is basically Doom, except with generalized actions you can custom-make an action that doesn't exist in vanilla, something like "Floor goes up to highest floor very fast".

The biggest game changer is scrolling floor that can move additional player start through multiple action lines to make multiple actions happen.

It's awesome to see everyone getting on board. I'm updating the resource pack today, I will be including some midtexture grates in Red, Blue, Green and Dark Grey. I'm hesitant to make a new mid texture for each of the shades. How's that midtexture look? I didn't want to take a regular Doom 2 midtex and color it since the shapes are pretty recognizable, the alternative is more of a fence design, rather than a grate. I don't want to include more than 1 style of midtexture.

In regards to switches @dmdr and everyone else, what I'm thinking of is making a whole bunch of switches that are just solid colors (so the whole switch will change color when toggled), that way you could make switches of any color, just use grey textures around them to make them look like switches. The alternative is I use the existing switch texture and change the grey to different colors. Let me know what you guys think.

I think I'm also going to get rid off the exit sign as I don't think it fits anymore with the rest of the wad.

@Thelokk - Go for it, dude. This set would be great for anyone just starting out, no need to worry about texture choices, just colors.

@game - Bunny and Beetle are exactly right, voodoo dolls are a huge feature advantage over vanilla Doom 2. That being said, I wouldn't recommend using features for the sake of using them. Although we are using MBF21 for this wad it is an evolution of Boom so you could check out the Boom Edit Example and see what the cutting edge features Boom features were in 1998, maybe one of them will spark an idea. "I'm glad I figured out a unique idea, although the geometry will be basic." - that's one of the major strengths to this project IMO, with these textures simple geometry goes a long way.

@lunchlunch @dmdr - I'm shocked to see maps this early, I'll give them a jam and record a playthrough for you both (no mic tho).

I'll also update the OP with all the new mappers and link the updated resources in a few hours (it's still early here in NZ) once I confirm exactly what's going in there.

Edit: I'm watching a recent @Dwars video and he talks about MBF21, I've timestamped it below for anyone interested

Spoiler

Edited by xvertigox

Thanks a lot guys. I definitely wanna use the dummy to trigger waves of enemies. Man, this map is looking so rad somehow despite the weird textures. But I must not reveal it, should be a surprise. ^^

Edited by game

I'd be on board with switches that simply toggle between solid colors; that way they can be inset any way the mapper likes, made to look nice and switchy in various creative ways.  I think that any kind of designed or recolored switch texture would go against the spirit of the thing and look out of place on the solid wall textures.

Likewise, I'd vote for midtexs that were just solid bars or grates, so that they were not recognizably Doom midtextures and could be used much more flexibly.  That fence you posted would be a good example.  I could go either way on how many colors or designs there are (wide vs narrow bars, vertical bars vs grates, etc).  You could probably just have them in like gray or some other neutral color and that would be enough, and in just one fairly flexible vertical-bar configuration.  Once again, too much choice starts to spoil the spirit of the exercise, but it would be nice to have at least one "blocking line" texture.

@ViolentBeetle That's a great question and one that's occurred to me too, though I'm glad you asked since I forgot to actually bring it up :p  Perhaps a few color gradients or a choice of a few basic skies (red cloudy, blue cloudy, white cloudy, starry?) would be enough to accommodate everyone without overdoing it.

Edited by Stupid Bunny

On 1/5/2022 at 3:10 AM, xvertigox said:

I will instead create a hub map using UMAPINFO

UMAPINFO doesn't support hubs. A single map can only have a normal exit and a secret exit.

I've updated the OP with v1.1 of the resources. I have added 3 midtexture fences (MID***) in black/white/grey so they can suit as many other colors as possible. I have also included 4 new textures that are solid colors so you can use them to build your own switches (SW*EZ) and I've left the old switch texture in. I also removed the EXIT sign texture. I think the resources are in a good place and I don't see them changing very much, if at all, but I'm still open for comments so don't hold back if you have any thoughts or ideas. *Actually, I'll need to look at the skies, check my comments later in this post.

I'm excited to test the two maps that have been submitted, I'll record a video of my playthrough and chuck it up on youtube. There won't be any commentary as my PC is set up in the lounge on my TV and my mic is attached to my desk in my study.

@ViolentBeetle

Say, what about skies? I don't think solid colors would work, as it won't be clear what is happening.

Mmm, I have solid sky colors set up currently but you're right. I'll look at the skies now actually, I'm thinking I'll do a bright blue sky with clouds (?), a night sky with stars and some hellish red one too. What do you guys think?

55 minutes ago, kraflab said:

UMAPINFO doesn't support hubs. A single map can only have a normal exit and a secret exit.

Ah, bugger. I saw a recent Boom wad that had a hub map that I tried out so I thought it was working via UMAPINFO. It turns out that only the door that actually leads to a different map was the one that I chose, the rest led to teleports to different parts of the map, d'oh! But that's fine, I will just order the maps appropriately, we can exceed the 32 map limit which is the most important factor. Thanks for the heads up yo.

1 hour ago, xvertigox said:

Mmm, I have solid sky colors set up currently but you're right. I'll look at the skies now actually, I'm thinking I'll do a bright blue sky with clouds (?), a night sky with stars and some hellish red one too. What do you guys think?

I think that's the most logical choice of three (starry skies are my favorite and in any case will go nicely with the abstract potentialities of this project)

Hi, this is an abstract gimmicky pacifist map. I made this because I remember mentioning to Spendo how the mono-color textures start messing with your sense of depth so.... here we are. I made it using the 1.0 resource wad before 1.1 got posted, but it seems to load just fine with 1.1. This is a first draft, I've thought about adding more (in terms of another area or two), but I'm not super sure what I'd do for it yet.

fell.zip

command line: dsda-doom -file DIY_resources_v1.1.wad fell.wad -complevel 21 -warp 1

Information + screenshot:

Spoiler

The tentative level title is I Fell in Love Last Thursday

The midi is Dearly Beloved, from Kingdom Hearts 2

I would recommend loading the wad up yourself because the textures appear a bit different in screenshots than they do in the wad itself. For example, the colors in the screenshot are much more like a light purple when I load it in UDB/DSDA-Doom, but they appear to be a deep purple-ish pink in the screenshot.

Notes on how it plays:

Spoiler

I am probably going to make the walls thinner. I made them thicker on a whim but I think they might be a bit too thick to get the proper depth fuckery that I had originally.

There is a pretty high variability in time it takes to complete. Sometimes the viles will just run right into the crushers, sometimes they take forever.

doom53.png

@DynamiteKaitorn and @lunchlunch thanks for checking my map out!

DK, currently difficulty settings aren't implemented so yeah it's pretty tough. I'll implement them after vert's feedback (I usually do HMP etc. after UV is done since keeping track of difficulty settings is quite tough) so hopefully you'll find more to like then (ps. your screenies look killer).

Lunch, thanks for that. I've given the map some anti-cheese protection, and put a few of the monsters on conveyors to encourage some early action/engaging with the map as intended. I also made the archie cage a bit smaller to make shooting rockets inside more efficacious.

Here's the new version: stupid_slaughter-220107-1640.zip

(this still uses the 1.0 version of the resources because I used the exit sign texture D: put it back dammit vert)

Lunch, I also played your map (no demo though because I forgot. It's probably just as well because I ended up cheating). Agree with DK that you've provided very little health, I'd replace those stims with medis at the very least. I'd also like a lot more armour please.

In terms of encounters, the initial one with the CGers and the archies felt like a real crapshoot. I'm trying to get used to playing with a gamepad which didn't help, but this fight really punished even small mistakes. One archie would be heaps at this stage of the map tbqh. Everything after that went swimmingly until the cyber -- did I miss something (in which case ignore the following), or am I supposed to whittle him down with the SSG? I struggled to get a good infight going unfortunately. A means to telefrag or crush him would be nice, or a better gun (just put the RL somewhere I can get to it more easily I guess, or maybe a plasma if you feel extra generous). I ended up IDDQD'ing so I could just walk past him. Can't comment meaningfully on what followed because of that so I won't.

As somebody who whittles away too many hours by hyper-focusing on texture selection and alignment, this looks very promising.

Count me in!

I'd love to give this a shot!

I'm VERY new to Doom mapping though. I've experimented with making a handful of maps myself, but never released anything out to the public. I'm also not familiar with MBF format, but I'm not planning on anything crazy scripting wise though, just basic stuff.

ah well I will give this a shot.. I have no idea about that MBF what stuff complevel whatever but I am just doing it vanilla style

and I am giving myself an additional restriction... I must make all of the map using just gridsize 64x64

I'm going for something abstract

what do we do about door textures?

screenshot so far:

ABSTRACT.png

I may end up taking one of my older maps and retexturing that instead, but lets see what happens

2 hours ago, dmdr said:

@DynamiteKaitorn and @lunchlunch thanks for checking my map out!

DK, currently difficulty settings aren't implemented so yeah it's pretty tough. I'll implement them after vert's feedback (I usually do HMP etc. after UV is done since keeping track of difficulty settings is quite tough) so hopefully you'll find more to like then (ps. your screenies look killer).

Lunch, thanks for that. I've given the map some anti-cheese protection, and put a few of the monsters on conveyors to encourage some early action/engaging with the map as intended. I also made the archie cage a bit smaller to make shooting rockets inside more efficacious.

Here's the new version: stupid_slaughter-220107-1640.zip

(this still uses the 1.0 version of the resources because I used the exit sign texture D: put it back dammit vert)

Lunch, I also played your map (no demo though because I forgot. It's probably just as well because I ended up cheating). Agree with DK that you've provided very little health, I'd replace those stims with medis at the very least. I'd also like a lot more armour please.

In terms of encounters, the initial one with the CGers and the archies felt like a real crapshoot. I'm trying to get used to playing with a gamepad which didn't help, but this fight really punished even small mistakes. One archie would be heaps at this stage of the map tbqh. Everything after that went swimmingly until the cyber -- did I miss something (in which case ignore the following), or am I supposed to whittle him down with the SSG? I struggled to get a good infight going unfortunately. A means to telefrag or crush him would be nice, or a better gun (just put the RL somewhere I can get to it more easily I guess, or maybe a plasma if you feel extra generous). I ended up IDDQD'ing so I could just walk past him. Can't comment meaningfully on what followed because of that so I won't.

pretty cool

but you are using stuff that from what I understand, is not allowed (regular doom switch textures, regular doom mid textures etc)

EDIT - found out there is a switch in this CP resource wad that is meant for these diy maps... but I still... 

wonder if we will be graced with an update that holds new lights, mid textures, door textures etc?

Edited by CBM

22 hours ago, lunchlunch said:

I know this is like way too soon for a submission but after noodling around with the resources for a few hours, I inadvertently created a speedmap I'm totally satisfied with. 

Title- Are You Trying To Traumatize Somebody

MIDI- Clubbed To Death (sequenced by mpau5)

Playtime- ~8:00-9:00 minutes

traumatize.wad

very cool and I love how the map unfolds using texture accurate switches

Began my map and my own MIDI for it. Definitely gonna be abstract as hell and I'm excited to see what you all think of it! :) 

PS: Space sky textures mentioned earlier would be great for this one.

7 hours ago, lunchlunch said:

-snip-

Hey, thanks for giving it a go. I made the crusher switch before the new switch stuff was added to the resource wad, I think I will change at least the crusher one to give some proper feedback on how it does *something* when you hit it.

I will tinker with the crusher HOMs, I remember feeling weird about them but I I wanted to leave them in for a first draft post.

The lettering is fucked yeah, I'm definitely going to clean that up and try to make it more uniform.

The exit switch will probably become timed when I figure out a way to do that, I just put it there to remember it for now.

I do want to add more but I'm currently stumped as to any ideas, but we'll see. I basically made this as a 2-3 hour speedmap at first (I am learning how to map in general after contributing to D5DA), so that's why it's rough around the edges. Thanks for your input, really helps. :)

Ok, time for the noob question - anyone has a good tutorial on how to include in my wad the DIY textures with SLADE, so that I don't get checkerboards when playing my WAD? I gave it a shot and the map in DIYresources.wad owerwrote mine... 

9 hours ago, Maribo said:

Hi, this is an abstract gimmicky pacifist map. I made this because I remember mentioning to Spendo how the mono-color textures start messing with your sense of depth so.... here we are. I made it using the 1.0 resource wad before 1.1 got posted, but it seems to load just fine with 1.1. This is a first draft, I've thought about adding more (in terms of another area or two), but I'm not super sure what I'd do for it yet.

fell.zip

command line: dsda-doom -file DIY_resources_v1.1.wad fell.wad -complevel 21 -warp 1

Information + screenshot:

Reveal hidden contents

The tentative level title is I Fell in Love Last Thursday

The midi is Dearly Beloved, from Kingdom Hearts 2

I would recommend loading the wad up yourself because the textures appear a bit different in screenshots than they do in the wad itself. For example, the colors in the screenshot are much more like a light purple when I load it in UDB/DSDA-Doom, but they appear to be a deep purple-ish pink in the screenshot.

Notes on how it plays:

Reveal hidden contents

I am probably going to make the walls thinner. I made them thicker on a whim but I think they might be a bit too thick to get the proper depth fuckery that I had originally.

There is a pretty high variability in time it takes to complete. Sometimes the viles will just run right into the crushers, sometimes they take forever.

doom53.png

Didn't knew you map! Just gave it a go, took me embarrassing amount of time to notice that obvious exit switch. At least I got to crush one of the archy before exiting anyway. Coincidentally, I seem to remember the track used here. Perhaps it's also used in a video that I watched? Nevermind.

I feel like contributing here, so maybe a few hours later I can actually finish something playable.