Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xvertigox

PowerSlave Exhumed Released

7 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I was planning on getting the game, but after reading @hybridial's comment, I am having second thoughts now. :S

If you have any better use for that money, but, I mean, you could do worse. But I felt the good will the game started with drained away as it went. It is pretty short though, 6-8 hours. 

I would consider the money to be far better spent on Hedon or Severed Steel though, two of the best games I played last year, the former having a stupid amount of well constructed content that draws heavily from the kind of things that Powerslave and Hexen innovated, and the other just because it is ridiculously fun. 

I have played Hedon; I did not hate it, but I do not think I will ever play it again. If you are telling me that Powerslave Exhumed is worse, then I am probably going to save my money for another game - unless it ends up being given away, I suppose.

Well, I went and grabbed it. I never played it much before so I didn't really have any references to the original.

PharohFighter.png.9fa04227430a62ad6c49fd35d6975250.png

Been a blast so far. Good levels, music, shooting, and fights. Hardest difficulty is hard, it's been great but I'd recommend people poking their feet in with one of the lower ones first. The universal ammo drops have been fun to manage. Generally very positive thoughts at the moment.

I played through it a few days ago, I agree with a most of the common criticisms, but my experience playing it was satisfying and I'm happy that I picked it up.

As shallow as it sounds, I think most gripes with the quality of combat would have been remedied with a shotgun. 

My only major gripe was how when all powerup mechanics were introduced, the game was pretty much over. The penultimate level was kind of a peek at how great the game could have been if they put more focus on taking full advantage of the freedom of movement you have.
Currently playing through the Build version of the game now, it's wild there were two entirely discrete versions of the same game. 

It reminds me of how games like Aladdin had two versions back then.

Edited by kwc

14 hours ago, Rudolph said:

If you are telling me that Powerslave Exhumed is worse

Well... I think Doom Eternal is worse than Hedon, and to clarify, that's because of how good I think Hedon is, and as I have said in the past, the benefits of AAA games development means almost nothing to me anymore.

It's not the fairest comparison but I bring it up, I just do so because Hedon only costs a little more than Powerslave, it's better value for money at the very least. 

As a big fan of the original console games, I thought I'd post to explain what is meant by 'a mixture of Saturn and PlayStation versions'.

To start with, the Saturn versions of maps were generally the most architecturally-complex of the two; despite what you may have thought regarding the two systems' apparent power relative to each other, it's clear that Lobotomy designed the Saturn version with the console in mind and then adapted to the slightly-different PlayStation tech in what I'd call a 'subtractive' manner; things like adding a wall to the water by the Sobek Pass exit to Karnak, or the more-claustrophobic opening to Thoth Treasure Reliquary show this really well. In both these cases, the Saturn version of the stage is used.

However, in a few other cases the PlayStation's altered level layout was by far the more-interesting (in fact in the '90s I'd say I preferred it for some of these changes, despite absolutely loving the Saturn version I played first) -- Amun Mines is more varied on PlayStation with an additional 'outdoor' platforming section not seen on Saturn. And so in this Nightdive version, the PlayStation version of Amun Mines is used.

Cavern of Peril is an interesting case where the level is basically entirely different between versions. So after finishing what is basically the Saturn map in this new version, I was surprised to see a 'new' level; "Well of Souls? There was no Well of Souls in the original!" -- you then get the much-different PlayStation Cavern of Peril. And after playing the two back-to-back, I don't think I prefer one over the other - so this was a wonderful surprise.

There are other aspects, too. Exiting water works like the PlayStation version, but projectiles can vertically-boost the player like in the Saturn version (pre Quake's rocket-jumping, this was referred to in the UK official Sega Saturn Magazine as 'bomb boosting') which means that speedrunner-friendly alternate routes and shortcuts can be found if one so pleases.

I haven't played the entire way through yet; I've an injured hand and can't play for too long without breaks. But what I'm seeing here is a fantastic 'best of both worlds' approach that is well-considered enough to deliver on that claim. Astounding work.

I don't know when I'll commit to a full playthrough of Powerslave Exhumed, but I think it would be useful to make a list of every gameplay tip there is for the game. Not a walkthrough or anything, but just small stuff that can greatly benefit the player. I could probably edit my post later so it has the list, but for now, the advice I can give is that you can save ammo by killing the red spiders(?) and blue scorpions with two hits from the machete.

in the second last level there's a room where you go through a neat laser trap and then they close behind you - there seems to be nothing to do in the next room. i bomb levitated to advance, but apparently the lasers also just eventually turn off (it takes a long time) - is this the intended progression, or is something broken?

50 minutes ago, msx2plus said:

in the second last level there's a room where you go through a neat laser trap and then they close behind you - there seems to be nothing to do in the next room. i bomb levitated to advance, but apparently the lasers also just eventually turn off (it takes a long time) - is this the intended progression, or is something broken?

I have never, even now when it's decades after the fact, beaten that level legitimately and usually just bomb-jump up to the camel as soon as I saw it. I just beat the game and did so again -- after attempting a 'legitimate' run and not being able to nail a return journey through the impossible laser corridor. I don't get it.

But also, glad to see the far superior PlayStation version of the same stage; again, a completely different layout; included as 'Kilmaat Sanctuary'. Which in all boosts the level count by two over the original(s).

going through the laser corridor first is fine and dandy, but surely the return is impossible, where all the lasers are in the cross formation upon entering the room? do they really expect you to just wait for those ones to turn off? extremely weird, but i'm charmed by the alternative methods of getting through.

It's almost like they're *asking* you to learn the shortcut strat isn't it?

Which, I gotta admit, does pay off;

Spoiler

when looking for team dolls.

On 2/15/2022 at 1:49 AM, Rudolph said:

I was planning on getting the game, but after reading @hybridial's comment, I am having second thoughts now. :S

I can tell you right now, that the game is very much worth getting. A few hours into it already and still enjoying it quite a lot.

1 hour ago, jazzmaster9 said:

I can tell you right now, that the game is very much worth getting. A few hours into it already and still enjoying it quite a lot.

As tempting as it may sound though, I'm personally going to hold off for a few months, and wait for a potential patch and/or sale.

Edited by HavoX

9 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

I would have said that at the same time too, my thoughts on it were changed by the last 2-3 hours of it which were just a drag and very much soured me on the whole experience. If you still wanna recommend it to people after finishing it, you definitely enjoyed the last few levels more than I did. Which is fine. 

I found the last few levels to be the best part of the game, the middle is the only place I can say where it sort-of dragged for me. That said I would recommend picking it up wholeheartedly on the merits of both it's unique game mechanics and the clear effort put behind the port.

The last few levels are absolutely mean and there's a lot of trial and error to figure out the layouts. They will definitely sour the first experience for some. Really want "obtuse" and "frustrating"? Take a moment to imagine what Saturn players had to endure with no mid-level checkpoints, heh..

That said, the late game is a typical example of "Sucks when you first play it, but gets better on repeat plays." Basically, you learn the levels and subsequent playthroughs are a lot more fun.

Not to hijack the thread, but I see the PC version of Powerslave is available on Steam as well. However, I see that it is the original DOS edition.

Are there plans to remaster that one as well?

7 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Are there plans to remaster that one as well?

Probably not. I would just recommend using either Raze or PCExhumed source ports for it.

I went ahead and finished it - and hot damn.

Spoiler

PE2.png.00a5ad5ad50ffc115d71fe9d048de4d3.png

Barring some tricky progression bits in a certain sanctuary near the end, it was very fun the whole way through. Fights remained challenging throughout (thank you, Pharaoh difficulty) and despite being in a "90s FPS" I found the boss fights surprisingly decent. My biggest takeaway was how the level design would incorporate the artifacts you acquired, this absolutely delighted me as I progressed through them. They had good visual variety as well. I'm quite impressed here.

Before I mentioned that I never really dove into this series before. Now, having played it and seeing what was on even the Saturn and PS1 versions, I kind of really wish I had...! I think I would've liked it the most over the other console FPS I grew up with.

I wonder if it would be possible for NightDive to commission a sequel or at the very least an additional mapset à la No Rest For The Living or Alien World Order. Would they have the right to do so?

Based on the videos posted here, there are two nitpicks I can see:

• Dynamic lights are too bright (like for the Anubis projectiles). In the console original it colorizes the area more than it brightens it, it seems. In the remaster the light tends to kinda wash out the textures in white.
  • The underwater air indicator is really ugly. That flat and opaque red ring. In the console original, it was translucent, which made it less of an eyesore.  But I think I'd prefer the Build version's lung indicator actually.

2 hours ago, scalliano said:

no invert mouse wtf

Yeah. They mentioned that was am oversight and will be patched in.

Had never touched Powerslave, and thought it looked neat. I like the Metroidvania elements and think it’s pretty cool! I’m enjoying working my way through it.

2 minutes ago, Eddie 2077 said:

I'm guessing GOG will get this patch too?

I'd assume so.

2 minutes ago, Wavy said:

I'd assume so.

I imagine it might take a little bit, I haven't noticed any updates for it on my GOG account.

43 minutes ago, Eddie 2077 said:

I'm guessing GOG will get this patch too?

It's been uploaded since 5 hours ago and the builds go live the moment we set them to master (which it is). Refresh GOG Galaxy if you don't see it.
Offline installers on their website aren't done by us, they only update whenever GOG gets around to it. Do not look at the offline installers for live updates, that's not how they function.