Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

25 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

You are looking at it the wrong way. They are trying to make sure the only people who can download content are the people who legitimately are supposed to have access. Which is especially important given they currently have 3 different commercial WADs on it. This isn't /idgames, it's not just user content. 

Am I? When you buy something on Switch, PS4 or Xbox, there are already checks in place for this sort of thing. Want the game? Well then, pay for it. Don't want to pay for it? You can't access the game, period. Want to get extra content for the game? Sign in with your Nintendo/PSN/Microsoft account. Perhaps I can see your reasoning on PC where things are more easily pirated, but don't punish console players because a more open platform has its own share of issues.

You've spent longer complaining about nothing than it'd take to sign up for a one-off thing. I must have signed up to an account on Fallout 4 or something, because when I played the 3 ports, all my details were already there and it auto-logged me in, no hassles. So its universally useful for anything related to anything Bethesda related.

8 hours ago, amackert said:

Am I? When you buy something on Switch, PS4 or Xbox, there are already checks in place for this sort of thing. Want the game? Well then, pay for it. Don't want to pay for it? You can't access the game, period. Want to get extra content for the game? Sign in with your Nintendo/PSN/Microsoft account. Perhaps I can see your reasoning on PC where things are more easily pirated, but don't punish console players because a more open platform has its own share of issues.

You've presented a statement that cannot be discussed without breaching several NDAs about how console's work, but the gist is Bethesda is not and cannot check purchase information in this scenario. Remember that consoles are multi user environments, anybody can boot up the game on the same console and is expected to be granted the same access. 

I might as well try to make a list of what most people think are good suggestions for potential addons:

* Memento Mori 1 and 2

* Hell Revealed 1 and 2 (minus the ROTT music which was a seperate file and the Star Trek image i think)

* Requiem

* Icarus: Alien Vanguard

* Most TNT/Plutonia fan sequels

* Back to Saturn X series

* No End In Sight

* The Becoming

* Doom The Way id Did series

* Base Ganymede

* Fava Beans

* Scythe 1 except some of its songs

* Cleimos 1 and 2

* SkePLand

* The Warlock's Hearth

* Equinox (without its soundtrack or sound replacement, although the HUD should be safe and it's cool looking)

* Revolution! with its MIDI pack that was originally optional

* Sudtic, Teutic and maybe Obtic (this one requires Dehacked)

* Maybe most of Eternal Doom

* Dystopia 3, Dystopia 301 and the one that's just "Dystopia"

* DWANGO and/or something related

Is there something else missing?

Edited by whatup876 : adding more, and more, AND more

Cleimos and Cleimos 2, if the Phares can be contacted. Just look at that Cleimos 2 titlescreen. It deserves to be seen. :p

The first Scythe, minus some of the songs.

SkePLand

The Warlock's Hearth

Equinox (without its soundtrack or sound replacement)

Revolution! preferably with assorted MIDI pack

On mardi 3 mars 2020 at 11:13 PM, whatup876 said:

Icarus: Alien Vanguard 

Icarus would be a good idea, but some of the authors will be hard to contact. Especially since Ty Halderman passed away a few years ago. I don't think the legal dept would consider using a ouija board.

Likewise, it'd be funny to offer Eternal Doom just to get people confused between it and Doom Eternal, but Jim Flynn is no more and some of the other contributors, even if they are assumed to still be alive, may be hard to reach.

Edited by Gez

What about someone that represents the missing/deceased creators or is close to them?

Still probably not a good idea, but i'm sure Ty Halderman would have loved to see newer audiences and players to see his works, if they were added in official recent releases of the classic games.

I wonder how they'll deal with Wads using Heretic/Hexen textures: replacing them with similar ones but related to the Night Sentinel aesthetic of the new games? (that reminds me, knowing how a recurring element in their world is energy stuff with symbols in theme, a good idea for wall textures could be red energy walls with weird letters in them, if anyone ever makes a Wad related to Argenta)

I feel like replacing Raven stuff would be another good opportunity to incorporate something from Quake Champions. For example, the stained glass windows with Hexen's player characters on them could instead have Galena and her alternate skins.

On 3/4/2020 at 12:26 AM, Gez said:

Cleimos and Cleimos 2, if the Phares can be contacted.

On the same note, Sudtic and Teutic, (Obtic would also be nice but requires Dehacked) but I guess we run into the same problem here - nobody knows the whereabouts of the authors.

I'm surprised Dystopia 3 (Along with Dystopia and Dystopia 301) wasn't suggested since it did some tricks before some Wads, like it was a prequel to the likes of Requiem.

Although it ends with blowing up Microsoft, so.... maybe replace it with UAC or Mixom/Moxim?

On the subject of getting responses from Wad authors, i wonder if we could focus on the amount of people to be contacted/talked to, before even thinking of certain Wads being suggested.

Basically, some "pre-planning" process where instead of

Contact authors > add Wad, Contact authors > add Wad, Contact authors > add Wad etc

It could be

Contact authors, Contact authors, Contact authors >>> THEN add Wad, add Wad, add Wad etc

Mostly to fill a list of people that said "yes" or "sure why not", then when the time is right or good enough, add a Wad or two to the releases.

Something also tied to the "possible representatives of missing authors" idea is who would it be, whether it's other authors, relatives or the current owners of which site/platform hosts the Wad.

On the subject of Dehacked, i wonder if there's other methods of altering gameplay without it.

Probably not but i'd love to see the concept of custom/new enemies and guns in an official classic Doom release, whether or not it'd be something seen from Wads/mods or even "original" stuff, whether it's an attempt to "classicfy" a new enemy/weapon from a recent Doom game or something made up out of nowhere.

Edited by whatup876 : adding more

5 hours ago, whatup876 said:

if there's other methods of altering gameplay without it.

Modifying the source code :P

This may or may not be related to this topic, so I post it as is just in case:

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=67736

Hello everyone!

Having just registered, forum rules won't allow me to contact these folks directly so hopefully they will PM me. This is Chuck Jacobi, the guy who created Chex Quest 3 a dozen years ago. Both of them helped fix some issues with the initial release of that wad project. Thanks again for the help! An interesting opportunity for that project has been floated by me by id and I need to chat with them about it.

Interesting. But that one is a ZDoom project so it doesn't "fit" with this Doom port.

1 hour ago, VGA said:

Interesting. But that one is a ZDoom project so it doesn't "fit" with this Doom port.

True, but it doesn't rule out Chex Quest 1 & 2 seeing a release...assuming they can get past the nightmarish copyright hurdle.

But the person mentioned Chex Quest 3 specifically, he is obviously trying to get permission from the two people who helped with that specific wad. Graf Zahl and Enjay have nothing to do with the original Chex Quest for example.

Anyway, cool stuff happening!!! Secret Chex Quest level in Doom Eternal? lmao

Could be a separate release too, who knows. Chex Quest 3 given away in new cereal boxes would be amusing xD

He mentions that it's an opportunity "by id".
If it was a separate release of Chex Quest 3 I don't think Id's involvement would have really been needed.

It could just very well be about asking if Chex Quest 3 can be adapted to the Doom Unity engine, for which the answer might just be "not really possible in the engine current state".

Of course, just a guess.

10 hours ago, Stale Meat said:

True, but it doesn't rule out Chex Quest 1 & 2 seeing a release...assuming they can get past the nightmarish copyright hurdle.

I very much doubt it:

• Chex Quest 1 uses chex.exe, a custom executable based off Doom 2. There is a dehacked patch to emulate its behavior, but its not 100% accurate, so Chex.exe modifies the engine beyond what Dehacked can provide in that regard.
  • This also makes Chex.exe different from other big TC's of the day that relied on custom .bat files to generate a Dehacked modified .exe like Strain/Mordeth/Alien Vendetta did (Feel free to correct me on this however.)
  • Chex Quest 2 requires the Chex Quest 1 wad as it misses PLAYPAL and COLORMAP lumps. Its an addon to Chex Quest 1 (So it relies on chex.exe)

And obviously one can forget about Chex Quest 3, which uses chex3.exe, based off of ZDoom.

Any sort of official re-release of Chex Quest (any version) would require passing a deal with General Mills, but that's probably not much of an obstacle.

The Chex Quest 3 maps can certainly be adapted back to work in Doom format. They don't use ACS much, AFAIK.

The Chex actors can simply be added to the engine. And yeah, there's nothing that stops id from just adding new mobj types as needed. It may be simpler than dehacked support.

Was thinking about Hell to Pay, mainly because of the theme of pitchforks and making Imps more like traditional imps with armor, although i don't recall them having a pointy tail.

Also, that had its story of refering to "Planet Hell".

I wonder about Wads that don't have their own custom intermission text stories or even actual stories, so the texts are stuff like "i hope you enjoyed my Wad".

2 hours ago, Gez said:

Any sort of official re-release of Chex Quest (any version) would require passing a deal with General Mills, but that's probably not much of an obstacle.

The Chex Quest 3 maps can certainly be adapted back to work in Doom format. They don't use ACS much, AFAIK.

The Chex actors can simply be added to the engine. And yeah, there's nothing that stops id from just adding new mobj types as needed. It may be simpler than dehacked support.

If Bethesda and co were going on that route just to get the idiosyncrazies of chex.exe working, they may as well just implement Dehacked support and be done with it. Chex is a general outlier compared to most WADS out there: They could simply take a look at Chocolate Doom's implementation of loading patches.

In fact, that would be the cleanest way to do it anyway given Chocolate Doom's focus on vanilla.

Except that Chex Quest 3 is not done in DEHACKED, and contains new actors.

53 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

They could simply take a look at Chocolate Doom's

That would be a potential GPL violation.

16 minutes ago, Gez said:

Except that Chex Quest 3 is not done in DEHACKED, and contains new actors.

Seems we got a mix up then. I was purely talking about the older Chexes.

6 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

That would be a potential GPL violation.

Then their look is not going to be so simple :P

On 3/6/2020 at 11:23 PM, chemo said:

It should be noted that Chex Quest 3 was recently put up on the official Chex Mix website, so if it were to have some sort of re-release on consoles or something I don't think General Mills would have much issue with it.

As cool as this would be, and it would be cooler than the other side of the pillow . It depends on how the company feels about having their wholesome family breakfast cereal/snack and its fun game counterpart being listed next to its long lost satanic demon bludgeoning cousin. 

Of course we all know the story but I wonder how many of the uninitiated know about it.

5 minutes ago, Gez said:

It could always be sold as a separate game...

Thats true.

On the subject of multiplayer stuff, has anyone thought of DWANGO or something related to that?

I think they used copyrighted stuff, though.

Could be a good idea when multiplayer (bonus points if it can be played off-line and with bots) or even a horde mode to continuously shoot demons with respawing demons/items/weapons is added.

I also wonder about BattleMode or any other modern Doom multiplayer having something to do with the add-ons.

Like victory music themes, podiums, name tags, icons or shirts with names of the Wads in it.

But for more interesting skins:

* Final Doom could be like a more "tactical" military outfit with TNT written on it or war camouflage paint on Doomguy's face, to resemble both TNT and Plutonia.

* Double Impact would easily be Eisen on an Engineer outfit.

* Icarus: Alien Vanguard could be an EDF soldier, possibly resembling the guy/status bar face from Eternal Doom and even some Doom 3 marines. (Earth Defense Force seems to be a phrase used in different video games, so i hope some copyright stuff doesn't erase it, when we could treat UAC having their EDF or something)

* Memento Mori series could be something to do with ancient wood and skulls, like some wood armor with bones on it.

* Requiem? Maybe something similar to MM? (or something else to do with its theme or textures)

* Hell Revealed series could have some subtle homage to Rise of The Triad or Star Trek, despite the connection to those being removed. (or something else and more interesting, that gives the same "mood")

* Doom The Way Id Did series, knowing the custom artwork, could have a cel-shaded/cartoon styled Doomguy, maybe with some Dopefish added somewhere. (or maybe something to do with the theme of "reimagining" something)

* Hell to Pay could have something to do with pitchforks and its custom assets.

* Perdition's Gate is of course Doomguy with long hair.

* Back to Saturn X series could have something futuristic.

This is like how Final Doom had weapons themed after certain Wads.

Just some tributes to some Wads, even if a bit too "eulogies" when adding Wads to official ports is already good enough.

Probably not a good idea, looking at it.

Any plans to add gyro aim (Switch or even PS4) to these ports now that Doom 64 is confirmed to have it?