Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

15 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

. . . that they would still use it as an add-on with the sprite still looking weird, or was it an exception for BTSX?

Custom sprite replacements are totally fine in the engine. I don’t know how much they would want to use ones that differ drastically from the originals, but it’s definitely possible as long as the sprites are totally custom.

As far as Quake and other id-owned franchises go, Sponge has already said that resources from them should be fair game.

2 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

As far as Quake and other id-owned franchises go, Sponge has already said that resources from them should be fair game.

are games like Hexen ID-owned? I only ask because I know many modders/wadists like to use these textures. 

No, Heretic and Hexen belong to Raven Software. Strife I think belongs to Nightdive now.

11 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

@P41R47 Hell To Pay was really good.

Those crappy little robots are Demon replacements? They make robotic sounds but when they are hit they make the Demon pain growl sound :D

Yeah, the imps still roughly look like imps, the demons are stabby robots, cacodemons are weird flying eyeball spaceships, mancubi are sort of mobile tesla coil thingies, and pain elemental and lost souls are just big shiny blobs. It's all charmingly janky.

I would love to have Hell to Pay and Perdition's Gate on the ports, regardless of opinions of 'quality', as they are lost treasures that are hard to find. The history writeups that the add-ons do would be neat; Hell to Pay and Perditions Gate have a LOT of interesting history to them, and the developers moved on to all sorts of places in the game industry later (like being one of the big cheeses of the Call of Duty series, or developing an official Doom 3 spinoff)

Would be hell beyond hell to get the permissions though, now that we know just what it takes.

6 hours ago, Devalaous said:

Would be hell beyond hell to get the permissions though, now that we know just what it takes.

Since it's a published product, what it takes would be looking up for who owns WizardWorks stuff nowadays.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WizardWorks

So, Atari now.

The question would be whether Atari would be okay with giving away Perdition's Gate and Hell to Pay for a reasonable sum, knowing that there's no real way they can exploit these brands on their own and it's not like id could expect to get a lot of sales from republishing obscure addons.

I like how both Perdition's Gate and Hell to Pay had custom story texts for each intermission/victory/next level screens.

Not sure if the ports can handle that... i mean maybe?

I do like the Imps being more imp-like and the use of pitchforks.

I also just learned Switcheroom 2 is a thing. (even though it's still not finished but still)

there is talk of Hell to Pay and Perdition's Gate possibly being an add-on to the console, and although Sponge said they are looking for modern released WADs, I have a strong feeling that WADs like these will be looked at as possibilities. I say WADs like these, as PG and HtP are referred to as unofficial expansions to the DOOM games, along with The Lost Episodes. The Master Levels was an official expansion to DOOM 2, and that was added to Bethesda's DOOM 2. I see no reason in why WADs that wanted to be official couldn't now be official, now. I would love to play these WADs! 

1 hour ago, whatup876 said:

I like how both Perdition's Gate and Hell to Pay had custom story texts for each intermission/victory/next level screens.

Not sure if the ports can handle that... i mean maybe?

That was possible on pure vanilla setting, so the Unity port can handle them, too.

On 7/25/2020 at 7:07 PM, Devalaous said:

I would love to have Hell to Pay and Perdition's Gate on the ports, regardless of opinions of 'quality', as they are lost treasures that are hard to find.

Perdition's Gate is freely available on Tom Mustaine's website.

6 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

4 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

You can also find Hell To Pay on moddb for some reason.

Yes, certainly, they are easier to find now than 15 years ago.

But it would be cool if Id aknowledge them properly as official expansions.

In some way they are official Id Software products as WraithCorp obtained a license from Id software to sell the wads, and then WizardWorks just published them.

Its much like teamTNT did with Final Doom but they were pubished by Id.

Ok, not exactly the same as Id Software offered teamTNT the possibility to release Evilution as an official product.

But that was also the case of Perdition's Gate. Unfortunately, Tom and his father missed the oportunity to be part of Final Doom by time constraints.

Thats why they went with WraithCorp.

6 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

If you pay attention, you'll notice it's not hosted directly on Mustaine's site; it's just linked there. If you read the bottom of the text, you'll find this:

Since WizardWorks was bought by GT Interactive a while ago, and then GT was bought by Infogrames, then Infogrames changed their name to Atari, it’s become impossible to buy a retail copy of Perdition’s Gate anymore. I’ve attempted to contact folks at those publishers with no avail in an attempt to be able to release Perditions Gate for free since the retail earning potential for that project is long gone by now. Hopefully sometime soon people can enjoy Perdition’s Gate for free, until then, check out the demo! (UPDATE: Somebody appears to have gotten permission to post the full version! See the link above)

See that parenthetical update at the very end? IMO it's a polite fiction for plausible deniability. He's probably not naive enough to think the somebody actually acquired the right to distribute it.

It would definitely not be sufficient for id to make it an official add-on.

As for ModDB, anybody can upload anything there.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

If you pay attention, you'll notice it's not hosted directly on Mustaine's site; it's just linked there. If you read the bottom of the text, you'll find this:

See that parenthetical update at the very end? IMO it's a polite fiction for plausible deniability. He's probably not naive enough to think the somebody actually acquired the right to distribute it.

It would definitely not be sufficient for id to make it an official add-on.

I'm quietly amuzed about this kind of situations that happens to old games.

I'm talking about how games publishers retains the copyright of different games and not the team that made it.

As i understand, it doesn't care who made the product, the publisher is the one that have the copyright of it, right?

Shouldn't it be like books?

Hence, hypothetically, i made a contrat to publish a book with, ramdon house, and then this publishing house is bought by another larger publishing house.

I still own the rights of my book, and a new contrat had to be made with the new publishing house if they want to rerelease my book.

But i have the option to go to another publishing house if i don't want to be published on the one that bought the one were i was.

Shouldn't it had to be this way with games, too?

So from what i understand, game publishers houses work like in the old days of the book publishing houses, that they buy the copyright from the author and so they can do what they want with the book/game they bought, right?

I think the writer retains the intellectual rights for the book but the publisher has the publishing rights. The writer cannot just re-publish the book later with another publisher.

4 hours ago, Gez said:

As for ModDB, anybody can upload anything there.

And it's especially shit for taking something down as well.

I've tried taking down some stuff that was re-uploaded without permission and up to this day, it's still up there. While other times, they won't allow uploading something for unknown reasons.

a couple of days ago I said that the next add-on will be released at the very beginning of August, but I just realized that the average time between add-on releases is 42 days, so we might be like a week or two into August until the next add-on releases. it really isn't a big difference, I'm just sort of correcting what I said earlier. 

2 hours ago, VGA said:

I think the writer retains the intellectual rights for the book but the publisher has the publishing rights. The writer cannot just re-publish the book later with another publisher.

Yes, thats true. But if a publisher doesn't want to print more books when the previous print run out, the author can take legal actions about the publishing house not promotioning his work as intended, and thus, after the legallities, the author have again the oportunity of rerelease his own work on another publishing house.

This happens sometimes, for example, if another author on the same publishing house is selling a lot of books and they need to constantly made reprints, other authors are neglected in favor of the financial incomes the other one represent.
I have seen this as i worked a time ago with a publishing house.

But lets not derail the tread anymore.

Sorry for bothering!

Anyway, somebody know this?

So from what i understand, game publishers houses work like in the old days of the book publishing houses, that they buy the copyright from the author and so they can do what they want with the book/game they bought, right?

2 hours ago, seed said:

And it's especially shit for taking something down as well.

I've tried taking down some stuff that was re-uploaded without permission and up to this day, it's still up there. While other times, they won't allow uploading something for unknown reasons.

It's truly baffling, I ended up with 3 retail copies of Duke Nukem 3D just trying to download user map compilations, they're still up to this day (not linking them).

And I can probably guess the name of the person who uploaded the items you're talking about.

34 minutes ago, mrthejoshmon said:

It's truly baffling, I ended up with 3 retail copies of Duke Nukem 3D just trying to download user map compilations, they're still up to this day (not linking them).

And I can probably guess the name of the person who uploaded the items you're talking about.

Wow, then it's worse than I thought, but it doesn't surprise me, I've seen similar cases before with other games. I think the mods only check for viruses and nothing more, copyright infringement, warez, nah, not really.

Also, you can? How?

50 minutes ago, seed said:

Also, you can? How?

Sorry that's just me assuming it was Doom related which I apologise for being presumptuous, but if it was Doom I'm 99% sure it would be "The Unbeholden" that had uploaded the item in question, he got into bother for doing that kind of thing and would just flood Moddb with other people stuff, I think he was well intentioned but just didn't do it right.

On 2/14/2020 at 2:27 AM, TheNoob_Gamer said:

I want BTSX next :P

your wish came true, younger Noob_gamer.

I can see a problem with Hell to Pay and Perdition's Gate being their overall quality.

Also, in the Post Your Textures thread, there's a lot of custom textures that are technically "mash ups" and mixes of existing textures, including a series of DOOR1 variants.

It sort of shows a certain versatility in classic Doom's visuals.

Kinda reminds me of Ancient Aliens having purple and blue STAR textures or TNT Revilution having a flesh version of the hexagon tiles.

Basically, if any addon has to replace certain textures, maybe some of the replacements could be remixes, maybe some that weren't done yet.

But in general, it's also like an exploration of clasic Doom's art style.

I can hear the next Add-on for DOOM singing Bob Dylan and The Band right now, "Any day now, any day now, I shall be released!"

I'm so excited. Now, I'm trying to think about what the most likely Add-on will be, but I can't figure it out. there are just too many to choose from. I don't think it's going to be Ep. 2 of BTSX, but I'm hoping it's something as great as it! Yay! it should release on the 5th-10th based on the previous add-ons, but I can barely wait! 

1 hour ago, Eurisko said:

Has there been any whisper of Eviternity being released as an Add-on?

Blatantly none, as Eviternity is for MBF, not vanilla/limit removing. 

23 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Blatantly none, as Eviternity is for MBF, not vanilla/limit removing. 

Ah ok, didn't know that.

4 hours ago, Eurisko said:

Ah ok, didn't know that.

Don't sweat it, i made it the same mistake aswell and i can't possibly tell you why that is. 

Maybe its a compliment to the WADset.

Maybe its an opportunity to make a vanilla version of Eviternity. :P