Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

Has anyone considered Three Is A Crowd?

I was mostly interested in some footage/screenshots of some Hell level with the floating blocks and twisted background, so abstract Hell levels like that are nice.

I wonder about wads with "sector art" like trying to replicate furniture or objects, because that's like a genre of art

Also, do these ports support animated skyboxes? Like if someone wanted to doo a rain or asteroids like background?

1 hour ago, whatup876 said:

I wonder about wads with "sector art" like trying to replicate furniture or objects, because that's like a genre of art

In TNT, they had Chair, table and computer like textures, so I can see that. 

1 hour ago, whatup876 said:

Also, do these ports support animated skyboxes? Like if someone wanted to do a rain or asteroids like background?

I don't think so. maybe if it is just the skybox itself, but I doubt it. Definitely not like rain actually falling. 

8 hours ago, whatup876 said:

Has anyone considered Three Is A Crowd?

@Scypek2 be proud of yourself, pal!
Good to know I'm not the only one considering this mapset as a must!

Edited by P41R47

5 hours ago, whatup876 said:

Also, do these ports support animated skyboxes? Like if someone wanted to doo a rain or asteroids like background?

No. Remember these are vanilla ports, thus it doesn't even have skyboxes, that's a ZDoom thing. Generally speaking, new engine features aren't expected unless explicitly required, such as DMAPINFO for the addon support.

I just want to say that i didn't experience any input delay when i played through Doom and Doom II on XB1 either but i do keep my controller plugged in when i play.

9 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

I just want to say that i didn't experience any input delay when i played through Doom and Doom II on XB1 either but i do keep my controller plugged in when i play.

I see.

I play wired too, with a monitor which has only 11ms of latency

I don't know if anyone who is having input issues is aware these games run at 35fps regardless of what you see. The 60+fps you see in these ports are just an optic illusion (sub-frame interpolation), so what you're probably experiencing is the fact that your controller is polled 35 times a second instead of 60, which I'm guessing is what you're used to.

Just a guess.

4 hours ago, hfc2x said:

I don't know if anyone who is having input issues is aware these games run at 35fps regardless of what you see. The 60+fps you see in these ports are just an optic illusion (sub-frame interpolation), so what you're probably experiencing is the fact that your controller is polled 35 times a second instead of 60, which I'm guessing is what you're used to.

Just a guess.

I am going to tag @AlexMax for this since he implemented the interpolation code for a 60 fps in the Unity port. Perhaps he knows a bit more as to why this seems to be a consistent issue of perspective several users are experiencing.

I haven't really kept track of the releases in a while. What megawads have been released so far in the console ports? Is there a list somewhere and do they regularly rotate between releases?

14 minutes ago, Lizardcommando said:

I haven't really kept track of the releases in a while. What megawads have been released so far in the console ports? Is there a list somewhere and do they regularly rotate between releases?

So far it's Sigil, Final Doom, Deathless, NEIS, and BTSX Episode One I think.

Also NRFTL and Double Impact.

Edited by seed

9 minutes ago, seed said:

So far it's Sigil, Final Doom, Deathless, NEIS, and BTSX Episode One I think.

Double Impact.

15 hours ago, hfc2x said:

Just a guess.

We do poll the controller every frame, and we do generate Doom engine input events, but they don't have any affect on the simulation state until the next 35hz tick. It should be possible to update just the camera out of gametics to reduce the perception of latency (I'm not sure which ports do and don't do this though to compare) but it's tricky enough to be out of scope of what I'm looking at for now.

15 hours ago, hfc2x said:

Just a guess.

The thing is, the doom 3 BFG edition ports of Doom I & II, as well as the XBLA versions, have very responsive inputs. They all run at 35fps too, right?

The BFG edition ports within the Fortress of Doom are also very responsive in terms of inputs.

I have a question. When a new WAD is sometimes added to the console, I get news that a new WAD has been added without an update. Does this mean that they were holding onto the WAD in the game files from the last update so they could release in a month from the current add-on, or do they do something where they update the game like internally, so your console does not have to download anything?

27 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I have a question. When a new WAD is sometimes added to the console, I get news that a new WAD has been added without an update. Does this mean that they were holding onto the WAD in the game files from the last update so they could release in a month from the current add-on, or do they do something where they update the game like internally, so your console does not have to download anything?

They have a server that the game downloads the WAD's from, which is why you need to connect to Bethesda.net to get them.

3 hours ago, SteelPH said:

Perhaps the uncapped framerate could be an option, if input lag is really an issue.

That isn't going to change what you think it changes. The input time will still be exactly identical.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I would like to invite anyone who owns both the Doom or Doom II ports as well as Doom Eternal (PS4) to compare both versions of either game. I've started blasting through Doom II again in the Fortress of Doom just because of the responsive controls, despite the reversed weapon switch buttons and lack of auto run.

Sure the fps isn't as smooth but dodging fireballs on Nightmare is no longer so challenging.

This request is directed to those who do not perceive any input lag. This is a good eye opener, I feel.

If all goes well, and there are no unforeseen issues during testing and submission (this is the big if!) there should be a VSync toggle in the next version on PS4/XB1/PC. While it is not the ideal solution due to tearing, measuring with my 200FPS iPhone on my gaming LCD monitor, opening the weapon carousel on the PS4 (which I believe is reliant on 35hz tics) a couple of times went from around 70ms to 20ms latency, which was even lower than the PS4 XMB response times. Other platforms will vary, but PC and Switch should also benefit more modestly from a different fix.

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up and dash them if something doesn't work out (there could absolutely be a half dozen different reasons for input latency!) but I did want to address a few of the people asking about input latency here that there may be a mitigation.

4 hours ago, sponge said:

If all goes well, and there are no unforeseen issues during testing and submission (this is the big if!) there should be a VSync toggle in the next version on PS4/XB1/PC. While it is not the ideal solution due to tearing, measuring with my 200FPS iPhone on my gaming LCD monitor, opening the weapon carousel on the PS4 (which I believe is reliant on 35hz tics) a couple of times went from around 70ms to 20ms latency, which was even lower than the PS4 XMB response times. Other platforms will vary, but PC and Switch should also benefit more modestly from a different fix.

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up and dash them if something doesn't work out (there could absolutely be a half dozen different reasons for input latency!) but I did want to address a few of the people asking about input latency here that there may be a mitigation.

<3 !

while I had been gone for the week, I played the rest of the Master Levels and BTSX Ep. 1. I have to say, they did a great job with this. Some parts of BTSX were on the glitchy side of things (floating items you cannot reach, disappearing textures, etc.), but I expect that with something this beautiful. can't wait for ep. 2! as for the Master Levels, meh. They never were a priority for me, but they are interesting in their own way. Express Elevator to Hell annoyed me, and Mephisto's mausoleum was a big no no. The ML weren't add-ons, though. Still amazing. with a group project released, I can see more in the future by other authors. great job everybody! the newest add-on is due soon (probably the begging of August, so like a week) and I can only imagine what ID and Beth have in store (maybe Ep. 2)!

25 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I can only imagine what ID and Beth have in store (maybe Ep. 2)!

Welcome back, Lil!
And you made me laugh haha

As much as everyone here would love to see BTSX E2 officially released, it is still on beta state even here.
Maybe if they work really hard they could fix and made the necessary changes to it, but i doubt it.

Rushing things never was the way of BTSX team.

But don't feel bad, there are a lot of new and old really amazing megawads that can be on the Unity port.

I recommend you to check Three's a Crowd.
Its an amazing experience that takes you out of your confort zone and submerges you on an outstanding narrative mapset like no other.

Revolution! might also be of your liking, but its really on the easy side.

Hey @sponge, have you had any luck looking into the weird frame-pacing issues yet?

According to @Allhailnewflesh, the Xbox version has the stutter/hitching problem, but the PS4 version does not. I was just wondering if you've noticed this as well?

Like I've said before, just load up any level and slowly rotate the view and you can clearly see the stutter/hitching occur about 3-4 times every second.

5 hours ago, P41R47 said:

But don't feel bad, there are a lot of new and old really amazing megawads that can be on the Unity port.

I recommend you to check Three's a Crowd.

Wow! that looks amazing! Too bad I don't have a PC to play that on (Only play on the new ports), I really want to check that out. Hopefully they are considering it. Revolution doesn't really seem like my kinda thing, but thank you for the suggestion! The Ep. 2 thing was kind of a joke, and also, I'd really like to see something new. I had heard of some add-ons like NEIS and BTSX before they were released, but when WADs I never heard of came on like Deathless, I was amazed! Deathless and BTSX were my favorite (so far), and in that order. I would love to see another WAD like Deathless that is pretty popular, but isn't the most well known, like Three is a Crowd. 

going off topic, playing BTSX, I noticed that the Caco was different looking (probably other demons, too, just the caco's sprite seemed the most notable), does this mean that if a mod/wad had an imp that was reworked to look more like some weird intergalactic creature, but with the same movement (not a real example), that they would still use it as an add-on with the sprite still looking weird, or was it an exception for BTSX? This seems like a stupid question, as the answer seems obvious, but there is some doubt in me that makes me think no. Also, this leads to my next question. is ID/Beth allowed to use sprites similar to and mimicking other franchises they own, like using an edit for like a caco to look like a 2D spitty thing from Quake? I guess they did that with map 31 and 32 in DOOM 2, but I don't know about like other franchises, since those have been the same demons since 1994? The best example I can think of was the secret levels from DOOM 2 the way ID did it, where you fight Keen enemies (I don't think they are going to do DTWIDI, since I think some of the creators either have quit the community, or passed). 

That's all! I'm very excited to see the latest installment in the DOOM 1/2 add-ons!

9 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

playing BTSX, I noticed that the Caco was different looking

Mmm, i only notice a different shades of blue on it blood corpse.
Other than that, its the same.
In fact, its the same sprite as the original Doom 2, but it was converted to the new palette BTSX use.

Maybe thats what you notice?

About your the same question but on the other topic, i would really love to see this as an official add-on.
It was a megawad that was sold commercially backthen, check it out, it use some new monsters:

4 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Mmm, i only notice a different shades of blue on it blood corpse.
Other than that, its the same.
In fact, its the same sprite as the original Doom 2, but it was converted to the new palette BTSX use.

Maybe thats what you notice?

oh, that's what I meant, oops!