Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

What are you listening to?

A thing I really like in music is a composition structure I've come to call "rising crescendo." It's when a track begins slow and quiet, then gradually builds to a heavy and intense climax. You start listening to it, and after a minute or two, you wonder "is anything ever going to happen?" Then finally, something happens... and after that, more and more stuff happens... until you get to the end, and everything is happening.

Well, I just came across a group called Les Friction, and at least half their songs are a variation on that theme, so they've been on my playlist quite a lot these last few weeks. My favorite two so far are these...

...but there's a lot of similar-quality tracks across their two albums. Even their standard songs seem decent enough, if you're into that kind of cinematic-rock music. Either way, I've been rather happy to find a band that specializes in a thing that's usually a niche once-per-album experiment for most bands that even bother trying it in the first place. Always looking for more stuff like this.

(And before anybody makes the obvious suggestion, yes I have the entire GYBE catalogue.)

Indulging my childhood nostalgia with some Cyroshell.  For a band that was literally created to market a toy line, they had some pretty good stuff. 

I recently rediscovered Flobot, a rap band from my childhood. Their lyrics and their arrangement are impressive and contrast with the very electronic and auto-tuny rap with have today, with their band-like approch tobmusic and old school rap techniques.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HLUX0y4E

And I recently discovered Celeste, or, to be precise, her magnificent and unique voice that feel more.. grounded and refined that most of the alto voices we hear in pop music nowadays..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UE3sTF3oj6w

I was trying to go to sleep and for some reason I started thinking about the Nomeanso song 0 + 2 = 1, so I had to listen to it. Now I'm listening to the album. At least I don't have to work tomorrow. I love this album. Particularly the titular song.

And really the line "The hoot of an owl in the dreams of a mouse" has become a favored expression of mine. I have very few chances to use it, but when I do, it's quite effective.

And for anyone halfway interested, here's a video of guys in their late 50's blowing the shit out of the sails of most musicians in their 20's and 30's. Looks hot in there.

Edited by Jello

Some oldschool metal. Dat horn!!!!! And if you're wondering, the presenter is Uschi Nerke. :)