Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
coletomars32

what was the firsrt doom game you played

Doom 2016....on the switch!! (But only the mp part tho. Didn't get invested in th singleplayer until replaying it on my Xbox one 5 years later) 

Doom 2 for the GBA was my introduction. Bought it in a dingy pawn shop in 2003-2004.

First played Doom 1 circa 1996 with -nomonsters on because that's the only way my dad would let me play it.  Got 6 maps into E1 before I got lost, 2 maps into E2 before the crushers scared me off, and 4 maps into E3, where the entire experience creeped me the fuck out, culminating in the combination of flesh and dour music and twitchy corpse in House of Pain that ended up giving me nightmares for days.  Revisited again some 6-7 years later when I was in my early teens and found a sampler CD of the sort @Lila Feuer is talking about, loved the shit out of it and two decades later I'm still here.  (Weirdly enough, the nightmarish, surreal design of E3 is the one with the most nostalgic weight for me now.)

Hexen, but was Ultimate Doom actually the first "Doom" game I ever played.

I believe it was Ultimate Doom on the XBox 360 port, thought it may have been Doom II. I played it at a sleepover with my buddies in 2010 while I was in high school.

34 minutes ago, Stupid Bunny said:

First played Doom 1 circa 1996 with -nomonsters on because that's the only way my dad would let me play it.  Got 6 maps into E1 before I got lost, 2 maps into E2 before the crushers scared me off, and 4 maps into E3, where the entire experience creeped me the fuck out, culminating in the combination of flesh and dour music and twitchy corpse in House of Pain that ended up giving me nightmares for days.

Playing Doom without monsters is much scarier than with them.

Shareware Doom in 1995. I was in awe of it. I thought it looked so incredibly real. Now? Not so much. Then I played The Ultimate Doom at the end of that year, then Doom 2 in 96 and Final Doom, also in 96. Played Doom 3 in 05, but only once. It's just not that great of a game to me. Haven't even tried Doom 2016 or Doom Eternal. I'm old school like that.

Doom Shareware back before we even had Windows installed on our family computer. I remember gradually working through KDITD with my dad and getting to the Bruiser Brothers and being absolutely floored and having no idea what to do. I came home from school the next day and he told me he had beaten the last level and I wanted to know how he did it since it seemed impossible to a little kid. I was absolutely obsessed with Doom for a couple years after that...and now I am all over again nearly 30 years later. Huh.

3 hours ago, Li'l devil said:

Playing Doom without monsters is much scarier than with them.

honestly, yes.

I know the intention was to make it less scary (or, at least, less bloody), but it’s way more unnerving wandering around, utterly alone, in dark halls filled with nothing but blood and corpses. it makes Doom feel so much more desolate and isolating. Maybe playing it like that as a kid is what left me with the dominant impression of Doom as being cold and moody as opposed to rip-and-tear action oriented stuff.

13 minutes ago, Stupid Bunny said:

Maybe playing it like that as a kid is what left me with the dominant impression of Doom as being cold and moody as opposed to rip-and-tear action oriented stuff.

I got the same impression, because Doom, unlike all games I played previously, featured no friendly characters whatsoever. Even Doom 3 had scientists here or there.

Actually, before I played classic Doom, I also played Doom RPG on mobile. Doom RPG had lots of NPCs, and since it's based on classic Doom, I expected it to have NPCs too.

I was honestly shocked when I started playing and realized I was the only human in the game.