Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
watto3699

GTA VI Trailer

9 hours ago, Dreemurr Deceevurr said:

It's weird to me that people are mad that a numbered GTA game released after 2001 reflects the time it was made in. You know, exactly the kind of stuff IV and V did?

Hell, I didn't like it in GTA IV. "Hey Niko, do you want to go bowling!?" "Hey Niko, let's see a show!" "Hey Niko, do you want to go bowling!?" "Hey Niko, do you want to watch me shave my balls!?"

It got old really fast. I realize they're trying to keep up with the times, but that shouldn't impede gameplay.

Edited by Jello

Looks nice, but I'll have to see some actual gameplay before I pass judgement. 

Fun fact: the initial GTA V trailer made its debut on Nov 2, 2011, with the game itself releasing on Sept. 17, 2013---just under 2 years later. Given the nebulous release date of 2025 in the GTA VI trailer, we could potentially be looking at a release that's 18-24 months away, if Rockstar plans to follow the same marketing hype to release pipeline as they did previously. It wouldn't surprise me, especially given how many hundreds of millions they've undoubtedly already sank into GTA VI, that they would aim to ramp up the anticipation to astronomical levels with an extended marketing campaign. Not that the hype isn't crazy already.

Gonna be THAT person for a minute:

No Dan Houser

No Les Benzies

No LAZLOW

And certain topics of satire have already been declared off-limits.

Consider my expectations well and truly managed. Oh, and it's not coming out until 2026. I know this because R* games always have a minimum of at least 3 delays..

21 hours ago, Buckshot said:

Can you imagine if all the years between the last GTA release up to this one was simply because of some devs obsessive perfection of twerk animations?

I wouldn't doubt it, considering that the twerking animation is the most impressive thing in the whole trailer.

Can't believe the amount of fanboys on reddit/Twitter going on about how the graphics in the trailer "look just like real life". Gotta love it when hype leads to full-on delusions/eye damage.

On 12/6/2023 at 3:52 AM, scalliano said:

Gonna be THAT person for a minute:

No Dan Houser

No Les Benzies

No LAZLOW

And certain topics of satire have already been declared off-limits.

Consider my expectations well and truly managed. Oh, and it's not coming out until 2026. I know this because R* games always have a minimum of at least 3 delays..

Glad to see I'm not the only person with a similar mindset. I feel like the GTA series have been taking a turn, oftentimes for the worse since Online. The Rockstar we know today isn't the same as the Rockstar from the 3D and early-HD era, so I'm pretty skeptical about it.

Edited by Panzermann11

I never expect Rockstar to handle touchy subjects tastefully, but if they can refrain from punching down at marginalized people at a time when the inspiration for GTA IV's setting is ruled by an open fascist who is using them as a convenient scapegoat, then more power to the developers.

It is like trying to make another Deus Ex game in a world where shit like QAnon is going mainstream. Probably not a good idea...

Edited by Rudolph

42 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

inspiration for GTA IV's setting is ruled by an open fascist who is using them as a convenient scapegoat

......I don't even know what to say to this.

1 hour ago, Rudolph said:

the inspiration for GTA IV's setting is ruled by an open fascist who is using them as a convenient scapegoat

Damn, didn't know New York was like that.

"GTAVI sucks because minorities are in the game!"

"No, GTAVI sucks because people get made fun of!"

This series and making the most insufferable people angry, name a more iconic duo. 

I will never touch this game. Why? Because I'm broke and I have better things to spend the little amount of money I bring in on. I use a piece of shit 6 year old laptop, and have no video game consoles.

WITH THAT BEING SAID: It is too early to judge the game on anything but aesthetics and graphics. We don't know the specifics of the story, besides it being a rather unseen troupe in video games of a "criminal couple". We don't know how good the writing is; the only lines we've seen with the story can be considered "mid-to-alright". And we sure as shit have zero idea how the gameplay works at this point.

I for one, with all that being taken under consideration, think it looks quite neat. I like the aesthetics and I'm interested to see how Rockstar Games will satarize the current culture. We've really entered a point of absolute insanity after Covid, lets be real, so I wonder if the writing between clearly a loving couple and a crime-infested world will make a statement on being genuine and low-key in an oversaturated and syrupticious world. Perhaps the line about "bad luck" being the reason why the female MC is in prison could also be a hint that Rockstar is willing to make a statement on institutionalization; which would be a rather neat thing to talk about IMO.

As long as Rockstar can avoid fucking it up, I see this being a true classic, and potentially surpassing San Andreas and IV in writing. Potentially. It'll certainly be better than V.

I still think that Washington D.C. under lockdown in the wake of both the COVID pandemic and a riot at the United States Capitol would have been a hell of a setting in addition to serving as a believable excuse for initially locking the protagonist out of most areas, like GTA IV did with the terrorist alerts.

7 hours ago, Rudolph said:

It is like trying to make another Deus Ex game in a world where shit like QAnon is going mainstream. Probably not a good idea...

Yeah, I'm sure that's why there hasn't been another Deus Ex. It has nothing to do with profit, QAnon became so powerful that they cancelled Adam Jensen. Don't you realize that by discouraging developers from continuing to make games that people love just because some dumbfucks exist that you're just letting the dumbfucks win? Do you honestly think that 99% of Deus Ex fans give a shit about QAnon? Hell, by your logic the whole fucking genre of cyberpunk and technothriller shouldn't be made anymore just because of some neckbeard keyboard warriors that people like you are ignorant enough to invite into your head rent-fucking-free. "Assholes exist therefore we should stop making the art we've been making and let the assholes dictate our self expression". Fuck that.

On 12/5/2023 at 3:28 PM, Jello said:

new GTA game with unlikeable protagonists

This is why I don't play GTA games. I don't enjoy playing as (or watching in the case of movies or TV where they are the primary) characters I actively dislike. This main character, at least, doesn't seem completely insufferable based on the trailer.

Also they really need to put a caption under the "may contain content inappropriate for children" saying "Who are we kidding, of course it will."

Edited by Murdoch

Morally bad characters, if written well, can make you root for them and feel bad for rooting for them at the same time. Niko in GTA4 is a great example. 

11 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Morally bad characters, if written well, can make you root for them and feel bad for rooting for them at the same time. Niko in GTA4 is a great example. 

As was CJ from GTA: San Andreas.  And the playable cast of both Red Dead games.  I don't remember Tommy Vercetti or the voiceless protagonist from GTA3 having enough character depth to register either positively or negatively - they felt like player self-inserts.

GTA5 on the other hand had by far the most unlikable protagonists in a Rockstar game I can remember, and the entire game was full of such poisonous, nihilistic irony that it was tough to find anybody to root for.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Very true. 

6 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

"GTAVI sucks because minorities are in the game!"

"No, GTAVI sucks because people get made fun of!" 

Both sides of a toxic spectrum imo

If they manage to have likable characters, who cares if they're a minority or not

10 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

If they manage to have likable characters, who cares if they're a minority or not

Oh, you would be surprised...

I mean, have you forgotten already about the whole backlash to the reveal of John Boyega playing a black Stormtrooper in The Force Awakens?

If someone's complaint is that a character is a minority then I'd say it's pretty fucking safe to completely discard that person's opinions and just not listen to them.

It's like, really easy to do that, they have nothing of value to say so why acknowledge it?

The thing that stuck out to me the most was that the skin still has the weird plasticky sheen from GTAV, and I'm not sure what's causing it. I haven't played a Rockstar game since RDR1, but it seemed a little off in that regard. Otherwise, no particular opinion.

More accurately, I I guess I thought it strange to put that effect in a trailer. I don't recall RDR2 having that issue, but I haven't played it so I don't know.

Anyway, does GTA still have contenders these days?

I hear the latest Saints Row did not do well and I am not sure if the Insomniac Spider-Man games, while very successful, have the same appeal as GTA.

36 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I mean, have you forgotten already about the whole backlash to the reveal of John Boyega playing a black Stormtrooper in The Force Awakens?

Sir, this is a GTA VI thread.

23 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Anyway, does GTA still have contenders these days?

I hear the latest Saints Row did not do well and I am not sure if the Insomniac Spider-Man games, while very successful, have the same appeal as GTA.

Saints row was ravaged in the ratings because the writers were too afraid to make jokes, they limited themselves because they couldn't stand the idea of "punching down", what ever that means.

No one plays these games for the repetitive gunplay and linear mission designs, people play to watch the characters interact with one another, and you want to neuter that?

The Saints row reboot is an example of what can happen to established game franchises when you're too afraid to write interesting characters.

1 hour ago, LexiMax said:

GTA5 on the other hand had by far the most unlikable protagonists in a Rockstar game I can remember, and the entire game was full of such poisonous, nihilistic irony that it was tough to find anybody to root for.

I think that was the point, honestly. An expression of the narcissitic and nihilistic culture of the 2010s, with people desperately trying to make a claim in an ever-changing and increasingly desperate world after the '08 recession. A justified increase of insecurity will make anyone into a wild dog, and GTAV was trying to display that.

1 hour ago, mrthejoshmon said:

If someone's complaint is that a character is a minority then I'd say it's pretty fucking safe to completely discard that person's opinions and just not listen to them.

It's like, really easy to do that, they have nothing of value to say so why acknowledge it?

Precisely. "Oh no someone not exactly like me! WOKENESS! PC SHENNANIGANS!" Such people deserve no attention whatsoever.

1 hour ago, The Doommer said:

Racist assholes.

33 minutes ago, act said:

I think that was the point, honestly.

Potentially true, but it still makes them completely insufferable so the end result is much the same.

1 hour ago, act said:

I think that was the point, honestly. An expression of the narcissitic and nihilistic culture of the 2010s, with people desperately trying to make a claim in an ever-changing and increasingly desperate world after the '08 recession. A justified increase of insecurity will make anyone into a wild dog, and GTAV was trying to display that.

GTA 5's writing had been going on for literal decades in other forms of media.  Irony and cynicism were very common in the zeitgeist at the time, and still are today.

The problem with leaning too hard into that style of writing like GTA5 did is that it doesn't really have anything to say.  It just satirizes and deconstructs things into oblivion, and then shrugs in the wreckage of its destruction, as if it was some inevitable part of the human condition.

David Foster Wallace called that style of writing corrosive to the soul, and I agree with him.  Why does everything have to suck all the time?  What's wrong with a teachable moment or a light at the end of the tunnel or a real human emotion every so often?

Edited by LexiMax

What? People are calling GTA6 "woke"?? 🤣

Did they even watch the trailer? It's literally the most anti-woke thing I've seen since the term came into existence.

There is so much sexualization, innuendos,  unruly shenanigans and criminal mischief portrayed... It's about as over-top-the-top satire as they come and entirely expected of the GTA series.

I would call it a parody of real life, I would. But I can't. Because it's only a *slight* exaggeration of how daily life is here in Florida. It's too close to be a parody... but more like a celebration of the batshit crazy stuff that goes on here (or a simulator of sorts).

32 minutes ago, Buckshot said:

There is so much sexualization, innuendos,  unruly shenanigans and criminal mischief portrayed...

That does not make it "anti-woke", not even remotely.

"Woke" does not mean being prudish and law-abiding: it was just a term used by Black Americans to mean being aware of the many ways American society can and will fuck them up. If you want to see something really "anti-woke", you should check out D.W. Griffith's The Birth of a Nation. Not that I would recommend it, mind you... unless you want to see the movie that made the Klu Klux Klan "cool" again.

Ironically, one could argue that GTA has always been a bit "woke" in the sense that you always have to be on the lookout for cops.

Edited by Rudolph