Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Afterglow

Mothers Clutching Babies, Crudreams Out

I've made my thoughts on crudreams well known on IRC already, but I figure that I should voice my opinion here as well.

The most significant thing about this project comes as a result of the fact that it has been in development for so long. Reading through the list of maps gives a list of authors from way back around 1998, when the project was originally started. Most of these people have long since moved on to other things. In a way, crudreams is almost like a lost piece of Doom's history.

The other thing I like is that there is such a wide variety of different styles of level. As Kristus points out, it suffers a bit from "GothicDM syndrome", and the whole gothic style levels thing has become kind of cliched, but this isn't just another GothicDM. In MAP07-MAP09 have a nice tech-base style, while MAP11-MAP13 look like they could have come straight out of Fragfest Initialised.

Of course, while these are very pretty levels, I doubt that they have had much playtesting at all. But that's not what levelsets like these are about :-)

Overall, I am hugely grateful to Afterglow for taking the time to finally release this. It would have been a great shame if maps like these never saw the light of day.

From the screenshots, this looks very impressive. Too bad I don't play Deathmatch, if ever. But congrats on the release, it really looks impressive.

Took a quick look at the levels, very nice detail and archetecture. Gonna hafta DM in it soon, looks fun.

Just played through most of this in ZDaemon. It was hawt. The architecture was beautiful in every map. There was definitely way too much plasma/bfg/rocket spamming in most of the levels, though. If you can fix that, it'd be a much more fun wad than it is already.

fraggle said:

Man, you should have said "MAP99 was not used because it looked like christmas".

hahaha

fraggle said:

Man, you should have said "MAP99 was not used because it looked like christmas".

Actually, the main reason is that the level crashes every single port except the ZDoom-derived engines. For compiling, it also crashes BSP, Zennode, and GLBSP. Only ZDBSP could get through it. I'm finding out now that it's likely due to the SEGS count being at 52,433 when Doom's limit is 32,768. However, the level is also crashing PrBoom which doubled the SEGS limit, so I don't know what the fuck. It runs and looks good in GZDoom. :)

So is there going to be a Crucified Dreams II... that's released when we're all in our mid to late 60s?

No, but there is a single player set I've been working on since 1998 that will come out sometime this year. It only has a handful of levels, but they're very... large. I have also played with the idea of merging Crudreams MAP29/30 into a large single player map, but I didn't want to expend that much effort on Doom at the moment.

Allow me to say this set has some weird ass weapon placement, im running around 5 minutes looking for a ssg half the time.

Heh. Norly, HEH. If it was you there then that map has plenty of SSGs lying around.

Well I finally got to play a few maps against Belial, unfortunately they were some of the crappier later ones. My overiding impression was that Skulltag's netplay is total shit. Nevertheless, gg

Yes map11 is quite awesome IMO, tho I liked the vanilla'd version more. That and map04 are probably gonna be my favorites. The maps that played better (1on1) than what I expected were map31 and map15 (would've been much better without the deep water).

Jonathan: Heh, so it was you. GGs indeed, too bad we hit the gothicked maps and square arenas. And ya Skulltag showed just how laggy can a ping of 80 be.

Some of the CWILV lumps have the wrong numbers and need renaming, e.g. 98 and 99 should be 97 and 98 respectively.

Here is a quick and dirty hack that allows Prboom 2.4.1 to -warp to map99:

--- -	2006-06-21 11:33:30.682338000 +0100
+++ prboom-2.4.1/src/hu_stuff.c	2006-06-20 09:15:16.000000000 +0100
@@ -552,6 +552,8 @@
   );

// initialize the automap's level title widget
+  // RjY - try to fix for large map numbers (cf crucified dreams, map99)
+  s = "";
   if (gamestate == GS_LEVEL) /* cph - stop SEGV here when not in level */
   switch (gamemode)
   {
@@ -563,10 +565,11 @@

case commercial:
     default:  // Ty 08/27/98 - modified to check mission for TNT/Plutonia
+      if (gamemap>0 && gamemap<=32)
       s = (gamemission==pack_tnt)  ? HU_TITLET :
           (gamemission==pack_plut) ? HU_TITLEP : HU_TITLE2;
       break;
-  } else s = "";
+  }
   while (*s)
     HUlib_addCharToTextLine(&w_title, *(s++));

The problem is that when it tries to look up the name of the map for the purposes of the automap, there are only 32 entries in the mapnames2 pointer array, so when you try to go to map99 it goes way beyond the end and segfaults.

Also I did get a floating point exception in R_ScaleFromGlobalAngle but it went away after recompiling and now I can't replicate it

kristus said:

My server is up. :O

Has anyone been playing on it? I usually get home from work between 1am and 3am eastern time, so there's rarely anyone on except for one of the US servers last weekend. Hopefully I'll get some more playing time in this weekend. :(

Afterglow said:

Has anyone been playing on it?

I had a quick go yesterday but haven't seen anyone on it, maybe arrange a game?

Szymanski said:

I had a quick go yesterday but haven't seen anyone on it, maybe arrange a game?

Your ideas are outrageous! I'm going to bed in an hour or two, catch peeps on IRC/MSN/AIM later. :P

No, someone did try to connect but probably with the older version because there were authentication failiure.

Played maps 1-9 with kristus and got thrashed :). Map08 could do without the BFG and map09 is pretty horrible. Most of the early maps are really only suitable for 2 players and id prefer starting on map04. Map04 and map07 played really well.

Let me know when you're playing again. I've popped in once or twice, but no one was playing.

I had a prety nice dm from maps01-7 with a few buddies.. It was definitily fun.. (mainly cause i owned them). I did notice it was pretty easy to get the really powerful guns in most of the early maps, and that there was probably too much health lying around. Either way, i had a blast and look forward to running through the entire series late some night versus my arch nemesis.

Aur designed MAP09 to be used with the BFG and it's usually only newbies that complain about it since there's plenty of obstacles to avoid it. :P It really only gets annoying when you have more than 2 people playing since it's almost impossible to avoid 3 people with a BFG at one time.

Most of the time I'm playing, it's 4AM EST, and it's the earlier levels. I'd like to get some more gaming in on MAP20-30 with the new item placement. That would be schweet. I uploaded the WAD to /idgames, so hopefully once the /newstuff appears next Sunday with a review of it, we'll have more people playing during the day.

Now if I could only get the person running the ZDaemon server to update the WAD from 1.0 to 1.1. That's right, the port's forum registration also requires activation by an admin yet I haven't received a response when I registered days ago. Skulltag is all we really need, but it'd be nice if people weren't playing an out-dated version, although I've yet to see anyone actually on the ZDaemon server.