Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death-Destiny

Claustrophobia 1024: The Sequal to Congestion 1024

I know. I have a bit of trouble with distinguishing light colors from white (pink, orange, yellow, etc) But I think that applies to everyone.

Mik57 said:

1 more thing, is it possible to release a demo of this?

Wouldn't releasing a demo be kind of silly? There is not many maps left to complete, so hang on just a little longer. ;P

kristus said:

AFAIK Being color blind doesn't really mean you see stuff in black and white though. It's more a matter of not being able to distinguish certain colors from each other. Like most commonly red and green.

Exactly. There are a lot of shades of red, green, and brown that I simply can't tell apart. And I have terrible trouble with blue and purple. Also, there are some shades of pink that look like blue-green or gray to me, and vice versa. It's really not a big deal most of the time, but it's a little annoying when somebody gives me an answer like "go talk to the man in the brown sweater."

As for Doom Builder, I discover I don't need to know what colors the linedefs and grid are since I can mostly tell them apart.

Dreadopp said:

Wouldn't releasing a demo be kind of silly? There is not many maps left to complete, so hang on just a little longer. ;P

In all fairness, there hasn't been a map submitted in 2 weeks. Either that or the completed map list hasn't been updated. (Not that that will get the wad released any sooner =/ )

Mik57 said:

1 more thing, is it possible to release a demo of this?

No, it isn't. There's just 6 more partially completed maps to go before this thing can begin being compiled and whatnot. I'm sure the mappers are hard at work within the constraints of their schedules completing their contributions (right?). A little patience will go a long way. ;)

About the color-blind topic we're apparantly discussing, this is the best way I can describe it. Take red-green colorblindness as an example. Like Stupidbunny explained, being colorblind does not mean being "blind" to colors. It simply means it is difficult or impossible to distinguish between particular colors. In the case of red-green colorblindness, the person would be able to see both colors. However, many shades of the different colors would appear to be a gereric red/green color. Therefore, two objects, one a shade of red and one a shade of green, would appear to be the same shade of the generic color. Therefore, while the colors can still be interpreted, they cannot be distinguished from one another. I hope I explained that well. =S

This is a simulation to help people with standard vision understand color blindness. The top row of apples look different to people with normal visiion, but the top row might look like the bottom row to a red-green color blind person.

Wow, this got off topic, but learning new things is always good. =)

Death-Destiny said:

The thing he said about colorblindness and stuff

Yep. I pretty much can't tell the difference between the two rows. And if I can, I have no clue exactly what colors what apples are.

But on the subject of the 1024 demo...I agree that it seems unnecessary and kinda silly at this point. It wouldn't be a demo so much as an unfinished-feeling project. And if we tried releasing a demo with just a few maps...I dunno, it still seems pointless.

I hope to get more work done this weekend...last weekend I was extremely busy and couldn't really find time to work on the map.

demos for something you give away for free is rather pointless.

EDIT: StupidBunny. In light of these news of your "affliction", I'm quite curious of your work. Always wanted to witness the works of a person I know to be color blind. It's a pity you don't paint.

kristus said:

demos for something you give away for free is rather pointless.

EDIT: StupidBunny. In light of these news of your "affliction", I'm quite curious of your work. Always wanted to witness the works of a person I know to be color blind. It's a pity you don't paint.

I've noticed that when a lot of people released demos for something that they intend to give away for free, it means that they're probably not finishing it and want something to show for their work. I know I'm guilty of that...

And I do draw a lot, but I never work with color. There's probably a reason for that...

Well, the discussion about releasing a "demo" has no point. It would be a silly thing to do and was hasty to even suggest. I agree, we'd only be releasing it because we're content with 26 maps instead of 32. Look, we've just got to be patient. Releasing a 5/6th done project will do more harm than good to the WAD's reputation and the current group of mapper's have only been at work for like 2 weeks, which isn't much considering people have school/jobs to attend to as their first priority. So long as they finish by October or something, I think it would be reasonable, and we can release a complete 32 level megaWAD instead of some incomplete, sputtered-out, and uninspired looking thing. =/

tl;dr: Patience youngins!

StupidBunny said:

Exactly. There are a lot of shades of red, green, and brown that I simply can't tell apart. And I have terrible trouble with blue and purple. Also, there are some shades of pink that look like blue-green or gray to me, and vice versa. It's really not a big deal most of the time, but it's a little annoying when somebody gives me an answer like "go talk to the man in the brown sweater."

As for Doom Builder, I discover I don't need to know what colors the linedefs and grid are since I can mostly tell them apart.

I'm pretty much the exact same way actually, though I don't have as much of a problem with reds/greens that I do with blues/purples. For the life of me I can never tell the difference between the two. Same goes for shades of pink; unless its REALLY pink, it usually looks grey to me. As for Doom Builder though, most of my problems come with the grid and everything being black/white...it's just a bit much on my eyes so I opt to go with a softer pallete such as a blue or brown based one.

Death-Destiny said:

. I agree, we'd only be releasing it because we're content with 26 maps instead of 32. =/

So Butts' map was a no-go? I thought he finsihed his

By demo, I meant a recorded demo, or something. Not maps. But I guess it would be rather pointless :P.

So Butts' map was a no-go? I thought he finsihed his

please dont jump to conclusions. i would have been notified (at least i hope i would have been notified) on what needs to be done or improved, etc. and if i had failed that then i would have been notified that my map was sub-par for the project. im not exactly new to mapping.

TheMionicDonut said:

So Butts' map was a no-go?

Nah, it's just not completed yet. He mis-assigned some sector references that rendered as HOMs, but that's the only thing that he needs to fix. IIRC, he was going to simply remove these sectors and put torches where they were, however he couldn't do that 10 days ago when I sent the PM because he was too sleepy. Whenever he wakes up enough to fix this and resubmits the map, I'll put it on the list. Butts made a rather nice map, BTW. =)

Also, Butts, if you don't want to fool with that setup anymore, I could set it up the way you intended for you with the dormant, unshootable Lost Souls if you'd like. It's no trouble at all and it'll take me like 2 minutes if you want me to do it. =)

KingKill33 said:

Just for fun:

(screenie)

Since I'm pretty sure there's already a Map 7 replacement, this one will have to wait until the next 1024. :p

Edit: It probably won't be done 'til then anyway.

Love the design.

Awesome screenshot!

Huh? I must have missed something. heh. Anyways, I forgot what I had to do for my map. If you don't mind fixing it, that would be great, but I can fix whatever it is if you PM me with every flaw and suggestion.

Edit: Oh right, I completely forgot about it. I'll fix it and resubmit.

Got pissed at my previous map so I deleted it and started over. Good news is that I'm getting into this new map and I'm about 30% done.

Mechadon said:

Got pissed at my previous map so I deleted it and started over. Good news is that I'm getting into this new map and I'm about 30% done.

Good Old Mech, always trying to make over and over same map until the point where it's actually decent :P anyway we're like 87.5%~92.5% done with the wad right? also if the map list is sorted, it better be balanced (compared to cchest3 which had HR2-HARD map already in map05 whoops)

alterworldruler said:

Good Old Mech, always trying to make over and over same map until the point where it's actually decent :P anyway we're like 87.5%~92.5% done with the wad right? also if the map list is sorted, it better be balanced (compared to cchest3 which had HR2-HARD map already in map05 whoops)

It also had "Black Rain" in map 12, despite being the second hardest map in the set. When I played CC3, I IDCLEVed past that map and came back to it right before I played "For We Are Many", which I'd say was CC3's toughest map (and, appropriately enough, in slot 29).

Anyway, back on topic, the maplist in the first post is just in a random order. I'm going to sort the maps once all are submitted (even if I have to continue waiting...) so that I know exactly where they fall in line with the others. I guess I could post this list once I put the maps in order if anyone is interested, though I'd imagine it wouldn't take too long after this for 1024_2.WAD to be ready.

'bout 80% done with the structure. I'm liking how it's coming out so far, so I may be able to get the majority of it finished tonight. I was inspired by the map "Autumn in Hell", so it's going to have a similar theme.

[edit]Ack, screenshot was too big...changed to a thumbnail version[/edit]

I fail at juggling school and personal stuff, so progress on my map has been slow. I more or less know where I'm going with the whole thing, but unfortunately my last two weekends have been unusually busy.

This isn't to say I'm not still making progress though. Whenever I've had a spare minute I go in to add a little more. Also I have the music track for the level done. :)

@Mechadon: I like the look of your level. Symmetry is a great design feature if executed the right way.

Thanks Dreadopp! Sorry, I know DB shots suck...so since I'm about 95%-ish done with all of the structure stuff, here's two in-game shots that I took in Skulltag.

Originally I was going to go for the 4 Mancubi on pedestals approach...but it was just too symmetrical for my brain to handle. So instead I opted to do it a little differently...I guess you'll see what I mean when you play the map for the first time. It's still symmetrical and I hope the basic concept is still there in comparison to the original Map07...I dunno, we'll see. If not, I'm not too worried about it as long as it's fun :P