Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Lots of Rage

The over-done apocalyptic scenario notwithstanding, if the immersion and game-play is there ( glad to hear about co-op), then I'm cautiously hopeful. Seems like the delay is mainly due to honing game-play.

Solarn said:

Ah. So what stops intellectual property from also being a game?

To Fraggle, intellectual property sounds too much like a business term for ID to be using. It implies that they're not developing Rage as a game, but rather just a title in a franchise to exploit and milk for everything.

BilboHicks said:

The over-done apocalyptic scenario notwithstanding,

Overdone? Of the 3 main themes used in Gaming post apoc is the least common.

kristus said:

I loled.

Seriously though. Your stab at me wasn't a reference to Genocide, just a regular execution. You need to work on that.

There have been genocides executed that way.

I think the real test of whether id has lost its soul or not will be if they release this game DBD on PC.

kristus said:

Not sure if we are on the same page. Mad Max Apocalypse is well overdone as a genre in books, movies & video games, IMO. Then again compared to zombie apocalypse in video games, its not :P

Gez said:

So, I'm reading the story of Rage as revealed by these articles.

A post-apocalyptic world where civilization crumbled after an asteroid fell. A sinister organization, with access to advanced technology and known as simply "The Authority", oppresses people. The game is half-directed, half-open, with hubs. In your first mission, you are given a crossbow firing electric bolts.

Sounds kinda familiar so far...

HOLY SHIT

Shaviro said:

When things look as low-res as they do in those shots, I don't really think that matters too much. It pretty much wrecks the merits of having no seams single-handedly. What is the point of seamless texturing when the annoyances are replaced by texture resolutions so low that they jump out of the screen and attack you?

I disagree. I would much rather have a consistent texture budget applied evenly across all scenes than what games have traditionally done in the past (a patch work quilt of varying resolutions). Besides, its not like all supported platforms will suffer the lowest common texture resolution constraints.

For the sake of visible seam elimination I would happily sacrifice texture resolution. The overall look is more important.

printz said:

Gah, I hate consoles. Not only are they useless -- why would I play a game on the TV when I have a computer or even laptop?!! -- but they also dumb down the production of games...

Do you want my custom title? you deserve to have it the more and more you post.

Rohit_N said:

To Fraggle, intellectual property sounds too much like a business term for ID to be using. It implies that they're not developing Rage as a game, but rather just a title in a franchise to exploit and milk for everything.

Like they've done with everything they have ever made? Doom? Commander Keen? Wolfenstein? the only thing they haven't run into the ground yet is the original Quake.

kristus said:

I guess you don't play many Japanese games? :P

Shaviro said:

low-res textures

That's the first thing I noticed when I looked at these new images. In this picture the textures are fucking abysmal. It looks like something from the pre HL2/Doom3 generation, you can't even read the fucking text on the vending machine. The way she's desperately thrusting her chest out is funny, it's like they're trying to distract you from noticing the Nintendo 64 environment around her. I'm being optimistic though and hoping that either A) this is an xbox screenshot or B) they're non-final placeholder textures.

What confuses me is that the characters look extremely detailed and stylish. Why show off other things if they're going to make the game look bad?

I like how that lady in the G4 video defends the ability to come back to life. yes dying is soo annoying then you have to re-play the same scene's over and over again and she's soo past that. I swear if id made it so that you had god mode and unlimited ammo, they would say I hated how in previous games you had to pick up ammo when you ran out.

And I thought the resurrection thing in prey was stupid. in the G4 review they claimed it took some of the challenge out of the game, since you could not really die. or at least Morgan Web did, I guess Adam Sessler thinks it's cool.

am I the only one who doesn't give a damn about the health system or the post-apocalyptic setting and thinks this game just looks kick-ass?

DaniJ said:

I disagree. I would much rather have a consistent texture budget applied evenly across all scenes than what games have traditionally done in the past (a patch work quilt of varying resolutions). Besides, its not like all supported platforms will suffer the lowest common texture resolution constraints.

For the sake of visible seam elimination I would happily sacrifice texture resolution. The overall look is more important.

Normally I would agree that a seamlessly textured world is more valuable than the alternative as long as the resolution is good and consistent. The problem is that the resolution is horrible overall and it's not consistent. Check out the shot with the girl leaning against a wall. Compare the texture of the sidewalk with the texture on the girl or even the wall. There is a huge difference.

Besides, its not like all supported platforms will suffer the lowest common texture resolution constraints.

According to Tim Willits all platforms will look the same at release. :/
They're trying so hard not to piss off the consolers.

True. Although the girl looks to be the only non-world geometry in that scene. Take her out of it and the rest looks very consistent, which at the stage Rage is at is what is important.

I do not see that shot as being representative of the final game quality. Remember that because the texture budget can be absolutely specified in id tech 5 this suggests the artists are working with "unlimited" on their machines while an automated algorithm composites and resizes them to fit whatever budget is set at build time.

Depending on your interpretation of Tim's comment it could may mean "all platforms look the same" or "all platforms look the same (just at different resolutions)". I sincerely hope its the latter because limiting me (on PC) to what a single XBox360 DVD can comfortably stream would be retarded.

I totally understand why they would preach to the console gamers that they are getting the "same uncompromised" version. Do I believe that? Hell no. The whole technology is designed to scale linearly between all supported platforms. If they were going to lowest-common then they wouldn't have bothered with it.

printz said:

Gah, I hate consoles. Not only are they useless -- why would I play a game on the TV when I have a computer or even laptop?!! -- but they also dumb down the production of games...

I've got my Xbawks 360 hooked up to a nice big high definition flat screen TV with surround sound speakers set up in my living room. My PC uses an old bulky monitor with terrible resolution that takes up way too much space on my desk. Which one do you think I'd prefer to play games on?

@DaniJ
I think we basically agree. I'm just a lot more skeptic than you :)
If the textures truly scale up on the PC, I have no issue with this part of the game.

Shaviro said:

@DaniJ
If the textures truly scale up on the PC, I have no issue with this part of the game.

http://exophase.com/xbox360/rage-for-xbox-360-will-ship-on-multiple-dvds-texture-quality-may-look-worse-6817.htm

An old article in which ID states that Rage will fit on 3 DVD's.

However because of the costs MS charges for 3 DVD games on Xbox 360, they were considering reducing texture quality for the Xbox 360 version to fit it on to 2 DVD.

Some of these new previews state that the Xbox 360 version is on 2 DVD's. Hence we can now see the choice ID choose.

The screenshots in these new previews come from the Xbox 360 version.

Just a heads up, the Shacknews link is broken.

Csonicgo said:

Do you want my custom title? you deserve to have it the more and more you post.

Why?

destx said:

it's like they're trying to distract you from noticing the Nintendo 64 environment around her. I'm being optimistic though and hoping that either A) this is an xbox screenshot or

DaniJ said:

I sincerely hope its the latter because limiting me (on PC) to what a single XBox360 DVD can comfortably stream would be retarded.

And you

Craigs said:

I've got my Xbawks 360 hooked up to a nice big high definition flat screen TV with surround sound speakers set up in my living room. My PC uses an old bulky monitor with terrible resolution that takes up way too much space on my desk. Which one do you think I'd prefer to play games on?

Get a new monitor.

OMG GAMES USED TO BE BETTER

[/bandwagon]

it looks pretty cool IMHO.

DaniJ said:

What?

I believe that was aimed at Craigs. I think he used yours and whoever else quote as a response to Csonicgo. Then he continued "and you (Craigs) get a new monitor."

@Patrick. I'm actually pretty open to what games are being made. But there are two things I hate more than anything in FPS games. And that is regenerating health and Prey/Bio Shock like death... rewards. These products actually rewards you for failing.

Craigs said:

I have both my consoles and my gaming PC hooked up to a big high def flat screen TV :-) Wireless mouse & keyboard and a sturdy tray is all it takes. I have tried software which maps 360 controller to mouse & key movements with limited success, so I sill play with M+KB with some games.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:
am I the only one who doesn't give a damn about the health system or the post-apocalyptic setting and thinks this game just looks kick-ass?

No, you're not the only one; yes, it looks kick-ass.

Solarn said:

LOL WE R SRS PPL THIS IS SRS THREAD

Yes some people take their gaming seriously, some people take a release from an important developer like id seriously, so if that bothers you, perhaps piss off?

Shaviro said:

@DaniJ

I'm also confident the PC version will be heavily tweakable and will leave the others in the dust visually. Besides what's the worse that can happen if id gets a large console support gathering? More games?

Use3D said:

Besides what's the worse that can happen if id gets a large console support gathering? More games?

Crappy CONSOLE'D games like Wolfenstein 2009.

kristus said:

But there's an optional game mode for those who "beat" the "game" called Cherokee, it's supposed to be more difficult. How is this done you ask? By removing ALL health potions in the maps. So, to play that mode, you are "required" to die to get more health. But I digress, sorry for going off topic.

I beat Cherokee without dying, it was great fun. Maybe except for the boss fight with your cyborg'd bitch, pulling it off without dying was a bit of a problem.

Now that is impressive. Does the it give you any health that I've not noticed on that?