Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I think I've played through Plutonia maybe twice. The 2nd time, I liked it a lot more -- but I was also paying close attention to the mapping style and I'm fairly certain Milo Casali is an asshole.

Confession: Some time ago in TNS, I sent 'accidentally' via console an elevator 32000 units down with 10 players in it... I said it must have been a map bug lol

Edit: ah, the elevator's speed was 2.

I've only completed Doom 2 with the GBA version, I don't think I have ever attempted playing through it fully with the original PC version, I have played through a number of maps in a row with online Co-Op though.

Judas_Priest1998 said:

-Have tried playing Doom II and never completing it, barely reaching the Icon of Sin boss.

I've done the rest now (UV, no mid-level saves), even poxy MAP29, but I think I could happily go to my grave never having shot rockets into that stupid hole.

damerell said:

[...] I think I could happily go to my grave never having shot rockets into that stupid hole.

Icon of Sin was nice, but for nonce. Every megawad ending like that worn the idea out. At least for me.

I don't lose my sleep over that, naturally. It's the local oddity. Megawads have 30 levels, so I can forgive little repeatitivness at the end. But it would be nice if level creators came up with some fresh ideas of their own.

I spent 2 hours trying to figure out how to kill the Icon of Sin.

I hide from Archviles.

I don't like playing the first 14 maps of Doom2.

Hoodie said:

I hide from Archviles.

I don't like playing the first 14 maps of Doom2.

1 - I think everyone had that problem.

2 - Most of us do that.

3 - And i don't like the later levels from doom 2.

Hoodie said:

Two hours! After I was trying all the monsters, and they kept spawning and spawning, I dropped that. Only after few years I read accidentaly how to do that. (Which was funny 'cause it was in some gaming magazine, and editor wrote something like, "Stop writing us how to finished Doom II, everyone knows you have to shoot hole in a wall".) I was playing ZDoom then, so it was relatively easy.

Hiding from Archviles is a very healthy sign, I reckon.

I actually enjoy the later levels of Doom 2. The Chasm can go fuck itself, but other than that every map from Catacombs on is markedly better than the middle maps between Factory and Nirvana.

What's wrong with "Chasm"? And "Nirvana", while we're at it. I've seen some lack of sympathy for those two.

Krazov said:

What's wrong with "Chasm"? And "Nirvana", while we're at it. I've seen some lack of sympathy for those two.

Chasm is a magnificent level imo. Nirvana is a bit boring however.

EDIT: I know some idiot is going to think i'm serious about Chasm, that map is so god damn bad they use a door texture for some of the walls.

Doomtodeath said:

I know some idiot is going to think i'm serious about Chasm, that map is so god damn bad they use a door texture for some of the walls.

I bet you wrote that thinking that your opinion is actually shared by every last person who played that level.

Krazov said:

In my view, neither of them is an especially bad level in context of the whole game. But I can understand the lack of sympathy to them. Both are awkward in some way. "Nirvana" looks like random rooms were slapped together in one hour, it doesn't feel like a professional design at all. "Chasm" has a nice experimental concept, but it can be annoying to navigate around. There are pits, random teleporters and NARROW, UNREALISTIC, RIGHT-ANGLED CATWALKS. Texturing is nowhere near beautiful, too, this applies to both maps. Also, none of them has any specially impressive fights.

Da Werecat said:

I bet you wrote that thinking that your opinion is actually shared by every last person who played that level.

GG, you lost the bet ;)

Then we have two ways of being an idiot instead of one.

1. Thinking that the level is bad, but Doomtodeath is a retard who actually likes it.
2. Thinking that the level is good, and it's possible that someone would praise it.

I wonder which one was implied.

Da Werecat said:

Then we have two ways of being an idiot instead of one.

1. Thinking that the level is bad, but Doomtodeath is a retard who actually likes it.
2. Thinking that the levels is good, and it's possible that someone would praise it.

I wonder which one was implied.

Ive lost you, buddy.

Chasm plays horrendous on controllers due to imprecise movement, it is however much MUCH better on a keyboard and mouse as you can actually enjoy the map then.

mrthejoshmon said:

Chasm plays horrendous on controllers due to imprecise movement, it is however much MUCH better on a keyboard and mouse as you can actually enjoy the map then.

Every FPS ever.

I think every map by Sandy Petersen in doom 2 has become dated for the fact of being pure blandness at its best (don't even get me started on Barrels o'Fun).

The best Sandy Petersen maps can be found on the fourth episode from the original Quake (the best episode), his H.P. Lovecraft influenced maps really fits in more with Quake than it does with Doom.

raymoohawk said:

back at the day barrels of fun was one of my favorite maps

So was mine too, but when i looked deeply into that horrible piece of goddamn shi...

You get it.

scifista42 said:

"Nirvana" looks like random rooms were slapped together in one hour, it doesn't feel like a professional design at all.

Okay, I get it now. However, for me there's only one visual fuck up--and it's toxic slime in a cave. Has Sandy put lava there, that would be just fine. And I think that this room randomness works pretty well with the title and a concept that player just got to Hell. But that's just my opinion.

As for "Chasm"--I haven't got that far (so far) with a gamepad. Using a keyboard plus mouse I never thought those narrow paths to be any problem.