Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Stepping on sector type 11 "Damage -10 or 20% health and end level" disables the IDDQD cheat but doesn't disable IDBEHOLDV or an actual invulnerability sphere.

QuirkyKirk said:

I only learned just recently with Doom 2016 Multiplayer that mancubus is pronuonced "Mane-kyoo-bus" and not "Man-kyoo-buss". Now all I can think of is a mancubus with Fabio's hair.

We always called it a "main-Q-bus", a "man-Q-bus", or a "fuck-your-moma", cause, that's what he says, hands-down.

I had a funny situation right now.
A few months ago I've moved to Chocolate Doom to play IWADs and vanilla-compatible PWADs here. I wasn't aware up till now I had to include DEH patches to PWADs. At first minutes I asked myself why I had to do this since PWADs like DTWID and BTSX series run flawlessly without them. Then I accidently discovered that maps are named correctly in automap now, like every MAP01 aren't finally called Level 1: Entryway :D

PS: And yes, I'm aware DEH patches do many other things. I have even fiddled for fun with Doomkid's recently released Shovelware Adventure, by playing with and without .deh file. And there are quite some differences.

The Cyberdemon in the SNES version of Doom fires rockets backwards, because the developers forgot that the player was not the only one who could fire rockets.

Double post:

What the fuck! In the crappy Sega 32X version, it's the player who shoots rockets backward.

There is no cyberdemon in this version. Why did they do this? They had only one job...

This is not new - its years old but I've never seen a post about it here. There is a way to make monsters in vanilla doom turn into statues and march in place ignoring you. I remember finding this bug when I was new to doom. Using a combination of cheats, maybe in a certain order achieves this. I forgot exactly how.

^ I doubt any cheat would cause that. You didn't say how many monsters were affected, so here is a possible explanation if it was just one monster in a specific place: A monster becomes stuck this way simply when it lacks enough free space around it to move to. Active monsters have to keep moving all the time, and they move in discrete steps onto one of several potential next positions, and when all of their potential next positions are being blocked by something else, they walk in place and don't attack until some of their potential next positions is no longer blocked and they can move to it.

EDIT: I just realized that when you said "marching in place", you might mean their idle animation that they perform before seeing the player while standing in place, rather than their walking animation when they chase the player while moving (I thought you meant they performed the latter, chasing animation, while being stuck in place somehow). Could you be talking about the FHSHH cheat code in Doom 95? Some modern source ports have a console command "notarget" with same or similar effect. It typically only works if you activate the cheat before monsters see you for the first time - if you activate it after they see you, they continue chasing you.

NeedHealth said:

This is not new - its years old but I've never seen a post about it here. There is a way to make monsters in vanilla doom turn into statues and march in place ignoring you. I remember finding this bug when I was new to doom. Using a combination of cheats, maybe in a certain order achieves this. I forgot exactly how.

Sounds like the Demon speed bug. It too requires a combination of actions to be performed in a precise order, but those actions are not necessarily cheats. Also, it only affects Demons and Spectres.

I found this bug on E1M9 Military base and it affected all monsters there. Maybe a variation of the "Demon speed bug".

e1: loading up the wiki ... nope the "Demon speed bug" is not the same thing. You just use the cheat codes in a certain order as I said - and all enemies will march in place. Difficulty should not matter though I can not be certain of that as I have no way of testing anymore.

Monsters can ignore the player ("marching in place", if they were not otherwise active) for a variety of reasons, including a broken or tweaked REJECT table, the player being in a zombie state, or well known occurrences such as the "sleeping shotgunner" in MAP02 of Doom II. A more exotic possibility is a variant of the All Ghosts bug occurring right at level start.

That E1M9: Military Base is a secret level...guess I never paid attention the map numbers and always take the first exit in Toxin Refinery.

Maes said:

"marching in place"

What do you mean by this? Do you mean walking in the same area? On E1M9, you can walk in the central area and the Imp near the yellow key will not be able to see you. I wonder if it was on purpose or if id just coded a bad rejects generator (probably a bug). It's fine though, because I find it better that the Imp only becomes active when you only enter its area.

Some monsters can see you through walls, I wonder why it happens. It happens on Map02 in the teleporter secret. I though the reject lumps prevented things like this from happening.

axdoom1 said:

Double post:

What the fuck! In the crappy Sega 32X version, it's the player who shoots rockets backward.

There is no cyberdemon in this version. Why did they do this? They had only one job...

Kinda funny thing how the SNES version fires them frontwards correctly but, since it actually has a Cyberdemon, it looks like the Cyberdemon's the one firing backwards. :P

riderr3 said:

I found in Ultimate Doom have no burning barrels -_-

Yet the sprite is there in the IWAD, as is the cube from the cube spitter. I don't know if placing at least the barrels is possible through editing though.

@axdoom1: I was referring to the normal idling animation every monster has. "Marching in place" is a very misleading way of referring to it, as a monster can be awake/active but unable to move otherwise: the walking animation in this case looks different than idling for most monsters (more animation frames are used, and at different timing).

But yeah, the exact circumstances in which monster may (or may not) become active in Doom can be quite confusing and subject to a lot of tiny rules and exceptions, which are not immediately obvious. And let's not even get me started on sound propagation, "sound block" lines etc.

Maes said:

Yet the sprite is there in the IWAD, as is the cube from the cube spitter. I don't know if placing at least the barrels is possible through editing though.

You can place all non-monsters in Doom 1, if you provide sprites for them.
The SSG and Megasphere won't work, though because other code checks for 'commercial' and blocks their function.

I recall that the default editor numbers are blocked from working in Doom 1, so a DEHACKED patch will need to replace them.

IIRC the offsets for the burning barrel are wrong in Ult. Doom, so they'll look weird in-game.

^ I've checked and it's true, it'd twitch left and right as it animated. Also the graphic itself is different (lighter-colored at the left side) than the one in Doom 2.

I just found out that Hexen's RNG table is different from the one used in Doom, Heretic, and Strife.

Punching Pain Elementals is the best way to kill them, course it works best with a beserker pack equipped.

Especially in the later episodes of PSX Doom, works great for saving ammo.

You can kind of build stairs downwards in vanilla. If the steps are higher than they should be according to the stairbuilder, they will move down instantly.

axdoom1 said:

If you reverse the pain sound, it looks like sex.

Already heard that proposal years ago. Wasn't sure if it was Xaser, Memfis or Maes who'd suggested it, though.

I just hadn't realized it might make a good analog to the Ranger's iconic "HUH" until now.

Shadow Hog said:

Random observation: if you trim off the panting from the player pain sound and reverse what's left over, you get a pretty decent jumping sound.

Shadow Hog said:

I just hadn't realized it might make a good analog to the Ranger's iconic "HUH" until now.

I don't know. It's a nice finding, but it sounds too much like jumping is painful...