Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
s13n1

DOOM HD Project

Dude, you're a goddamn machine! Every one of these models is a perfect representation of the sprites. I'd like to see what the mancubus's fuel pack looks like!

Huh, I could've sworn the Mancubus had bigger arm cannons...

Nope, they're accurate. It's great this series is finally getting some decent 3D models, and at an astounding pace as well.

Make sure to back them up to a safe place!

Thanks guys, glad you like em so far.

I decided to speed up production by finishing a basic level of detail, get them to a level I'm happy with, then start a new sculpt.

I think it should keep my interest levels peaked and allow me to go between a few different characters when it comes time to add the high detail.

The Mancubus fuel packs is something I would like to see too, but there's not too many photos that show them. This one is about one of the best I've come across.

http://popcultureblog.dallasnews.com/files/2013/12/NZ_16DOOM_2859668.jpg

They look pretty simple really. Kinda shaped like moulded dumbbells, but with a mounting bracket.

If you guys know of a better photo, I'd love to see it.

Although based on a real physical model, the Mancubus sprite differs in many areas, so it wasn't as straightforward as I expected it to be. The face in particular is quite different to the two physical models that there are photos of.

I also added more toes, but this is to make it look like the sprite, despite the models having only four.

Once I've got the fuel packs done, I'll make some hoses in max and then paint the original sprite over top and slightly blur it. Like what I did with pinky. It adds some colour variety to a very basic level if colour, but it helps improve the looKs and gives me a great base to start texturing.

The face is still not finished, I'm not 100% happy with it yet.

Not till I nail the face will I move onto the next model.

Based on that photo of id, the fuel packs look like fuses. Don or Gregory probably added random metal bits to touch them up.

tea monster said:

Looks amazing. Looking forward to seeing the low poly in action. Are you baking in your sculpting app or are you using xnormal?

I'll be transferring detail inside mudbox, but creation of the low poly mesh will probably be with 3D Coat, as it has a really nice retopology system. You can build over your high poly mesh, with mirroring and the new mesh snaps to the surface of the high poly mesh. Should be sweet.

Mudbox does have a great retopology system, but it doesn't allow 100% control over the end result. Fine for high poly rendering projects, but in games you want to really control your poly counts and vertice placement.

There are currently no UV's, the high poly sculpts use PTEX. UV's for the low poly meshes will be created using Unfold3D. Which is a program i highly recommend. There are some older demo versions that has a "stamper" feature that bypasses the demos export restriction. Very handy, but hard to find now.

Here's how Mankyman is looking now. I think the face is getting pretty close to spot on, but i'll no doubt make a few more tweaks here and there.

I just need to make the fuel tanks and add some hoses and he should be looking pretty good.

Not sure what to make next.

Kinda wanting to make the Cacodemon.

Mancubus WIP by Doom 64 HD, on Flickr

GoatLord said:

Dude, you're a goddamn machine! Every one of these models is a perfect representation of the sprites. I'd like to see what the mancubus's fuel pack looks like!

Yes, I must say, dude, you rock! Please please make sprites when you're done, so us lonely software renderer guys can share a piece of the enjoyment too!

Jaxxoon R said:

Rejoice.

Also, will you be animating these things? If so, do you think you could base the frame counts and names off of Smooth Doom?

You are a legend. Thank you!

I've already made tanks from this and are just in the process of positioning them and then ill make the hoses.

As far as animation goes, i'll render out all the frames and let the community do what they want with them.

I have no plans to make any radically new animations, just what the originals had, and let the skeletal system take care of the rest.

There may be a new death sequence or two for variety and i'll most likely make an idle / standing animation, which will be just standing and breathing. Some nice extras would be the odd alternative movement like a head turn or shake, adjust guns etc that the engine can load in at random. We shall see.

Standing animations will be tricky, because we are so used to doom just using some of the walking animations. This makes it easy to tell living enemies from dead creatures from far away. Which more subtle standing animations will change. This wont matter when sprites are used, because you can just match the frames with the originals and it will look the same.

Its been a very long time since i animated anything, and even then it may have been only or two sequences, but i think they turned out pretty good, so i'm confident i can at least match the original sprites.

Tanks are made, i just need to make a mounting plate under them which will be fixed to the body in some gruesome way. Hooks or rings into the skin or some large railroad style spikes.

The hoses are just temporary for now, these will be added properly much later. I've never made hoses using the hose tool, so these took a little while to learn.

You can fix them from either end to an objects pivot point. There's no way of controlling the shape of the hose other than tension at either end, so to get it to pass through the skin, i edited it in mudbox. I'll probably make them differently in the end and obviously they'll match the shape of sprites.

Mancubus WIP by Doom 64 HD, on Flickr

Do you will realease the 3d models? Because with your AWESOME models we can use the screenshots like hd sprites in brutal doom and 3d models in risen3d... so you can improve 2d and 3d doom ports with your work, i think that is awesome

These are absolutely incredible. Professional as hell.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see the Cacodemon next. He's so iconic.

s13n1 said:

You are a legend. Thank you!

Aw, don't thank me, thank the guy that posted the video.

There is quite a lot more to be found in that video, though. Right at the start it has a closeup of the Archvile's face, showing just how little detail made it into the final sprite.

Also, even in an 'unfinished' state, that Mancubus looks astounding.

Thanks for all the praise guys, much appreciated!

Here's something a little different.

The background image on my blog was made from Adiran Carmacks amazing SkinFace sketch. I filtered the shit out of it in PS till i got the desired results.

I took the original black and white pencil sketch and tweaked it, blurred it, de-noised it, filtered it and used it as a very simple greyscale heightmap to sculpt some rough geometry as a base to sculpt in mudbox.

The output sculpt was very noisy and rough, but with some smoothing and manual labor, its looking pretty cool. It will look awesome in the game as a wall texture.

I wont finish it 100% right now, as its going to take a lot of work to get looking really good, but i've been wanting to do this for ages.

I also want to take the Doom64 demon head symbol and sculpt that in Mudbox too. I did actually start it a while back, but had some symmetry issues with the sculpt and moved on. Now that i've got the 2015 version, i should be able to finish it no probs.

SkinFace in 3d by Doom 64 HD, on Flickr

The monster models look very good, and the skinface one is really ace! I like the D64 models on your site, too.
I think that the head of the the Mancubus looks a bit too large, though.

The upcoming 1.15 version of Doomsday introduces preliminary support for newer model formats, including MD5 with normals, luminance maps, etc...

Once your models are ready it would be fairly straight forward to get these running in Doomsday by writing a few definitions and bundling them into an add-on .pack ...with your permission of course :)

s13n1 said:

here is the 95% complete Baron

I'm sorry, but I absolutely cannot stand the torso hair. It looks out of place and takes too many liberties with the original design IMO.

Can you please consider removing it or making a variation without that feature? I can't be the only one that preferred it without.

s13n1 said:

The important questions is, Do they look strange now? All i care about is the final result. Once all models are finished, they'll be scaled against each other.

Actually, yes, they do look slightly strange even now. The idea of tweaking the very shape itself instead of keeping the same proportions on a different scale concerns me. I know this isn't supposed to be a 100% accurate recreation of the original clay and latex models id made, but it would be very nice to aim for being as close as possible in shape. I'm very sensitive to warped aspect ratios so I probably notice more easily than others.

As long as the final result is physically accurate to the tall versions of the sprites it's fine, but I do think it is problematic if it doesn't match up very well regardless of how good it looks on its own.

Obviously the work that has been done so far is excellent and not worth throwing away, but I'd suggest working from the tall sprites as a basis for any future models not yet started.

Something about the Manc's head is bugging me. I think it might be a bit too big, giving him a kinda cartoony look.

Having the expectation that he will make individual versions for every member of the community is not realistic. If you don't like it then make your own.

Now that people mention the manc head looking too large I notice it too, but I'm wondering if its also because the shoulders seem less pronounced than in the original sprite. Those dark markings on the 3d manc's shoulders seem to be the shading of actual muscle structure on the sprite that is lacking here, so maybe its not finished yet.

And people have said the original Doom monster designs wouldn't work in a modern game.

The shots so far look fantastic.

Mancubus looks great.
My suggestion for improvement would be to increase the broadness/thickness/height of his shoulders/back.
Seems like his back almost goes above his head on the original model/sprite.
http://i.imgur.com/qakHBjQ.jpg
He should probably have more pronounced shoulder blades (that go from his neck to his shoulders).

Dont worry guys, i know what you're saying about Mancs head and shoulders and i've already tweaked them.

Most of the work so far has just been getting the face to look right. Nailing the expression. Once that was looking good, i could then place a bone in the head and scale and position the whole thing.

These models have a hell of a lot of work left to do, im just laying down a base layer of detail, and then coming back later to finish them off.

I just want to get a few done and not too bogged down in the details right now. Plus its always good to have a fresh perspective on a model after taking a break from it for a while.

To me, the baron's hairy chest makes sense. The baron has a hairy bottom half and it just looks right for the hair to continue more sparsely onto other parts of his body. Demonic and fantastical creatures are often shown like this with some stry hair running up their spine/on their belly/on their chest. It looks OK in low res to have things the way they are and might possibly even look odd with a few brown pixels on the chest trying to look hairy. However, with the luxury of hi res, these things can be done and, given that the hi res models are going to have to have a level of detail on them that the original sprites couldn't have, I see nothing wrong with this. Not having some stray hairs on his upper half makes him look a bit as if he is wearing brown hairy trousers (or pants, if you prefer - i.e. are not from the UK).

As a general comment, I love the look of these models. They capture the appearance of the sprites and original monster designs better than any hi res models to date. The baron is especially good but they all look fantastic. I also love the skinface graphic. It looks horrible, in a good way.

Yeah, seriously though, I have never seen such amazing 3d models of the original Doom monsters.

Enjay said:

However, with the luxury of hi res, these things can be done and, given that the hi res models are going to have to have a level of detail on them that the original sprites couldn't have, I see nothing wrong with this.

The hairy chest and pronounced hairy legs do not agree with Adrian Carmack's sketch which should probably be considered close to the de facto reference for how the the demons should look in high detail. It's clear that Adrian adhered to his own designs when it came to the sprites, especially given the known Arch-Vile and Mancubus facial deviations compared to Gregor Punchatz's original latex models, and the Baron sketch and clay model were already entirely Adrian's work through and through.

As for the Baron in particular, it appears he went for a sinew-y muscular appearance, even on the fur-covered legs. You can really see this in the striated look of the hair on the hooves, a detail still evident in the final sprites.