Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

Does the door glitch when it tries to close while the player or a monster stands inside and blocks it?

EDIT: I mean the vertically moving sector based one on the previous page, not the polyobject one which is probably as OK as a normal polyobject can be.

scifista42 said:

Does the door glitch when it tries to close while the player or a monster stands inside and blocks it?

EDIT: I mean the vertically moving sector based one on the previous page, not the polyobject one which is probably as OK as a normal polyobject can be.

I know what you mean by this, but I haven't tested. I intentionally made it switch operated to prevent that. As for closing, either reuse the switch or walk past a linedef that's far enough away you can't run back through. I know monsters might cause issues. They're not tested in a practical scenario yet. I could set up a variable that is set to 1 if a player/monster is close enough to it (walking over a linedef) and set it to 0 if they've gone past another linedef far enough away. If said variable is 1, then the door will wait until it's back to 0 to close.

I'll test later, post my experience and maybe supply the demo wad.

Proof of concept that the 'spinning blades; from Doom 4's Argent Tower is possible in ZDoom. Click images for MP4's with a frame-rate that won't make you cry.

kuchitsu said:

Walter making another Cyberpie or something? :)

Not really, but is a speedmap mixture of map07 and Cyberdreams that I made yesterday...

I can only assume you're pissed about the sky cutting off the large structure? If so, I feel your pain. It looks good, though!

Yeah this is why I hardly ever map, I either can't think of anything or when I can it's impossible to actually make. I've tried various solutions and they all look kinda shitty :(

If classic engines constrain you so much, maybe it would be a good idea to think about switching to something more advanced?

I think in some maps you're expected to just accept the fact that the Doom engine has its limits and not complain about cutoffs. If I remember correctly, in the very first map of Jenesis a similar thing happens and I think people didn't mind it too much. Same in some Kama Sutra levels IIRC. Maybe it's not such a big deal.

I know for you it seems like the end of the world, but that's just your perfectionist mind concentrating only on the negatives, whereas the players will mainly think about how the area is otherwise nice looking IMO.

You know, without pointing it out I imagine 9/10 people who play it won't notice it. It's an issue that is present in hundreds, if not thousands of maps and yet often goes unnoticed. It doesn't really damage the gameplay in this instance so it's forgivable.

Took me about three minutes to make this effect in Boom format after getting the idea, and quite a while longer to figure out how to make a gif out of it.

I assume you have a voodoo doll triggering a lot of instantly lowering sectors? Works well for boom!

Just tested a new piece of software for recording gifs, here's me brainlessly spinning around in Scythe2 Map01. Points for a seamless animation, right?

The software used is ScreenToGif.

When I made it I was one million percent sure, maybe a smidgen higher, that it had been done before. Thanks for the random history lesson though! :D

Eris Falling said:

Yeah this is why I hardly ever map, I either can't think of anything or when I can it's impossible to actually make. I've tried various solutions and they all look kinda shitty :(

What? You can't just bump the sky ceiling up around the building another 128 units? Yeah it'll make your building a little bigger, so what?

After my CPU water cooling pump died this past week, and thus being unable to stream/record/play or anything, I sat down and did something productive instead.

MAP24: Devil's Orchard (although it's more a cave system thing...)

(all images linked for 1080p goodness)

@Rayzik: Looks good, IMO it would be even better with more yellow (fire, lava, whatever), because the brown + red theme seems overwhelming and yet the yellow looks fitting to the theme.

Eris Falling said:

for fuck's sake

I guess you could just make the part for the structure a valid player/walkable sector so that sky clip doesn't happen, but that only works if that's an inaccessible area and I guess you planed for the player to be able to access the interior of the structure?