Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BigDickBzzrak

Texture Extravaganza CP [beta 7 out] [LOOKING FOR SECRET LEVELS!]

On 2017-6-18 at 2:48 AM, rdwpa said:

I wonder if the damaging floor needs to be 20%, sort of surprised me when I went for the shotgun secret. 

So, the reason for this one specifically was because if you didn't go for the secret you either have to pistol the shotgun guys or punch them to death, both are 'likely' to cause some damage. Essentially I didn't want the player to remain with 100%+ hp as they approach the first main threat on the stairs.

I've updated the map, while at it's core not much has changed I've done several tweaks here and there which could change how it's played. Most notable change of course is the implementation of difficulty settings, so @bzzrak, please have another shot at this on a lower difficulty! @rdwpa if you wanted to play again there's a few surprises that have been added and the AV/Pinky fight has been adjusted so the AV's not quite as likely to go down as smooth/easily as it did, despite your panicked state. :P

I also added teleporters for if you fall off, rather than treating it like an inescapable pit. I intended to implement them from the start but I forgot heh. I also added some monster blocking lines so the caco/PE fight doesn't become too 'distant'.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nzryba93pdfbmvt/texture-extravaganza-dragonfly-2.wad?dl=1

Enjoy! :D

"Garden cleanup" by riderr3
For Texture Extravaganza Community Project

Advanced engine needed: Boom
Music: Scorpions - New Generation.mid
Single Player: Designed for
Cooperative: Yes
Deathmatch: Yes
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Build Time: 5 days
Editor(s) used: GZDoomBuilder-bugfix, SLADE3, WadSpy
Tested With: PrBoom-Plus 2.5.1.4

Download here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/bp1p6sjp57rtfvd/grdclean.zip

P.S. @bzzrak you can try this map without cheats.

Hi, the first page of this topic tells there's one slot available for this project. Is this correct? 
(I already asked at last sunday if I could do a map with retired Bauul's unused texture set btw.)

> FIREMAG3, SILVER2, BFALL4, STONE4 + DEM1_5, FLAT19, FLOOR0_1, FLAT5_7

So - could I try?

@Dragonfly tried recording on HNTR and after a zillion attempts died literally in front of the exit, as two gaygunners chaingunners popped up in front of me while I had a rocket launcher ready... who invented splash damage, goddammit. I'll never use the RL again -- says the angered me for the 140000th time.

Take a look at the attached demo for some cheap laughs. I die a lot in the beginning, so fast forward to the middle or so. :]
Thanks for tuning it down. :]

@riderr3 this is the best map I've ever seen, ever ever ever ever. So much green+gray, so many nice details, so very pleasantly easy and relaxed. And green! Green greeeeeeen!

of course, you threw in a surprise ambush in the end, but I somehow expected that from you. :]

It's peculiar how you use those funky Boom features like switch teleports and all that, it's clear that you're playing around with Boom, which is cute. My map here was my first Boom map as well, heh, and it did the same.

Anyway, there's that one scrolling SHAWN3 texture, I initially thought it was a door closing and stared at it for a while, thinking that it's one of those secrets where you have to run for the door, but it wasn't.

That one room with the cracked ceiling looked very beautiful.

The insides of the structure looked to me like an old 90-s map a-la e2m7: Spawning Vats, which is kick-ass.

Hey, did I say the map is green?

The MIDI fitted the map perfectly, too.

Overall, 1337/10, absolutely brilliant, you're my hero <33333333333333

df2-notfda-bzzrak.zip

grdclean-fda-bzzrak.zip

edit:

18 minutes ago, dl_simc said:

Hi, the first page of this topic tells there's one slot available for this project. Is this correct? 
(I already asked at last sunday if I could do a map with retired Bauul's unused texture set btw.)

> FIREMAG3, SILVER2, BFALL4, STONE4 + DEM1_5, FLAT19, FLOOR0_1, FLAT5_7

So - could I try?

You know what? Go ahead.

^ it's a secret, you just need to slowly step out from one window, the RL is right on the other side of the window. PrBoom+ displays secrets in purple on the map, so I found it. :]

@riderr3

One minor note: in the NW corner of the map, the lift has one of it's sides lower texture unbegged. This makes the switch appear almost completely below the ground level. It's still 1/8 visible.

But great map - The gameplay is well balanced with exploration and secret hunt.

^
Over time, I realized that half of the success is making proper connections between areas.

I don't think I can do this. I only have a single room done. I absolutely am not finishing by the deadline. It's time for me to very seriously consider dropping out so someone can throw together a quick early map. I'll give myself four hours to at least complete something, and If I don't in that time, I'll keep working on the map but I'll "open up my slot", so to speak. Anyone who wants it will be able to take it until either I finish the map or we hit the deadline.

I'm not at that point yet though, so don't try and steal my slot you frickin stealybois

edit: @riderr3 i'm not exactly good at coming up with layouts, or really doing anything at all.

Edited by bonnie

1 hour ago, bzzrak said:

5 days until the deadline!

On the way... but time's really short. Still lots of ideas to get implement. Good thing I've the whole next week free.

Spoiler

I chose SW1SLAD and BIGDOOR7 for the switches and doors and might use them elsewhere too. :P

1wnp2Rm.jpg

8 hours ago, bonnie said:

I'll give myself four hours to at least complete something, and If I don't in that time, I'll keep working on the map but I'll "open up my slot", so to speak.

Any update on this? 

On 6/26/2017 at 4:10 AM, Dragonfly said:

Any update on this? 

yeah i made a blank empty hallway with a split at the end and then gave up and went to sleep

anyone who wants my slot can take it, i don't think i'm even going to keep working on my shitty map anymore

so basically im dropping out entirely now. i'm sorry

edit: never stop frickin believing in urself

Edited by bonnie

Might tune in for the next one of this; whenever that may be. I'm not quite at a sufficient enough skill level and there's not exactly enough time to do one/pick back up again. Keep us posted if you spool up another; it seems like it would be extremely useful for those trying to get better with texture selection/meshing.

^ ok

5 hours ago, bonnie said:

so basically im dropping out entirely now. i'm sorry

ok

----

If nobody claims bonnie's slot, I'll put Dragonfly's 3rd map in it.

I'm thinking about taking out about half of the enemies from my map, to make it easier / more accessible. Would that be worth the trouble?

^ O_o that's mindblowing! Also veeeery brown.

Would've been funny if you got a SLIMExx flat instead of water, heh.

No need to hurry, I'll give you some time after 01.07 to complete your maps, should you need it.

I dont think I have what it takes for this.  Im sorry.

Im a fraud of a mapper and I guess this just exposes me as terrible

I also need a breathalyzer before I post.

I'll send what I have I guess, but i won't deny it is bad.

Hi, just asking but how much time there's left?

The deadline is the 1st of July - - - but in where and when exactly in there? (midnight, midday, GMT?, east-west coast?, Mars?)

Sorry for the obnoxius question but knowing the time target would make it easier to plan. (Started pretty late and I'm spendind too much time on stupid details.)

^

You won't be able to claim new slots after the 1st (I don't really care which time).

If you're already making a map (which you are), I'll give you a few extra weeks to finish it, no problem. The last thing I need here are some filler speedmaps.

So no rush. Stupid details (and bizarre hacks) is all I spend my limited time on as well. :]

So there are no slots available? :c

I want to combat my mapper's block so bad.

Forgot to remove bonnie, you're in.

Textures:
TEKWALL1
ZZWOLF4 (yes, Hitler)
BROWNHUG
PIPEWAL2

+ all the extra stuff but you should know that

Flats:
FLOOR4_5
RROCK04
CEIL3_5
RROCK12

The flats are OK, the textures are kinda total ass. I have confidence in you.