Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gun_psycho

Most hated Doom level

The House/Cellar just before Hugo in ActionDOOM 2

I freaking hate pitch-black map's they are not fun at all and annoying as all hell.

as for a map in the original DOOM 1(2). I'll have to think about that.

Woolie Wool said:

- Every Icon of Sin map ever...
- Timed ZDoom maps

Never a truer word was spoken.

As for my own pet hates:

- The sky station level from CIF3. I know it's a jokewad, but that was just TAKING THE PISS.
- KDiZD
- TEETH from the Master Levels
- Maps with ENDLESS teleport traps (most Doom64 custom maps are guilty of this)
- ZDoom maps which force nojump/nocrouch. Particularly if said map is fucking PLASTERED with Revenants (which it invariably is). It may be considered cheating, but that should really be up to the end user to decide.

And, now for probably the most controversial - I'm currently playing through Demon Eclipse and I invariably find myself starting each new map with only my fists for protection. The maps are well designed and everything, but it would be nice to come across the odd box of ammo once every couple of levels...

My last bit of personal pet peeves in maps:

- arenas where there are little to no cover. (especially if there's no way to improvise such) It isn't so big of a deal for those melee enemies or those who have regular projectiles but enemies with hitscan attacks, rail attacks, and especially homing projectiles...

- I have the same beef Scalliano has with maps that disallow jumping and crouching.

- Last of all, maps that have voodoo dolls for no reason. (Community Chest's Map01 and Map20 come to mind.)

scalliano said:
- ZDoom maps which force nojump/nocrouch. Particularly if said map is fucking PLASTERED with Revenants (which it invariably is). It may be considered cheating, but that should really be up to the end user to decide.

You can decide by editing the MAPINFO lump. Perhaps ZDoom could have forcejump and forcecrouch specifically for this. These would allow mappers to define how a map is played according to their design scheme yet let players override that if they really want, and they would work in multiplayer only if all the clients apply them.

myk said:

You can decide by editing the MAPINFO lump. Perhaps ZDoom could have forcejump and forcecrouch specifically for this.

Sv_allowcrouch and sv_allowjump override the MAPINFO settings, so no need to edit the mod. Also, sv_nocrouch and sv_nojump override both the sv_allow* settings and the MAPINFO settings.

So in short:
sv_allow* and sv_no* both false: determined by MAPINFO
sv_allow* true, sv_no* false: allowed
sv_no* true: not allowed

Woolie Wool said:

* Every Icon of Sin map ever. Just end your megawad with a few cyberdemons or something, I can't stand these anymore.
* Daedalus: Alien Defense. Some of the most annoying puzzles in Doom history.
* Timed ZDoom maps.
* Doom II map24 and imitators.
* Map sets that aren't consistent with damaging floors. Is brown sludge dangerous? Is it not? Make up your fucking mind!
* Legacy of Suffering for taking everything I dislike in modern FPS games and bringing it to Doom, often worse than it originally was.

amen to everything to this list. especially that awful map24 and every shitty clone that forces the player to balance over thin ledges or solve jumping puzzles (half-life's last maps come to mind, when talking about other games). it's a way to make sure i just skip the level or noclip through it.

Hmm, it's pretty bizarre looking back upon the original Doom 2 maps now, after playing so many levels from authors who have been able to really improve upon and expand the limitations that originally were set on the game.

I realize now more than ever that the original maps were pretty cheesy, aimless and random levels, but they still fill me with some unspeakable nostalgia. Even though the levels are horribly plastered together, back when I was really young they inexplainably made sense to me, and in a way they still do. Though now I feel that when I am noticing the randomness and sloppiness of the Doom 2 maps it is just a further testament to my steady decrease in imagination (how I miss video gaming in the early 90s when imagination was almost a requirement).

That being said, I never did like map 14 doom 2, all ways felt too cramped, and difficult. Obviously, is a complete breeze for me now. But I still kind of get negative vibes when I play it.

All of the Secret Levels in Doom and Doom II. Especially the Wolfenstien Map. All those little blue nazi bitches carrying thier autmatic shotguns, just god! Who the hell made that level anyway? Its also not that its hard, just boring, and overlly not done good. The other two arnt good either

Yeah, the Secret Levels were never really that great.

I'd say Map32: "Grosse" is an excellent DM map. Played it lots of times, and is my map of choices whenever it's time for some DM.

E4M9: "Fear" is also a favourite of mine. It's hands down the best secret level in UD. It feels like a real map, unlike the other secret levels!

E1M9: "Military Base" isn't that bad either. But if someone were to release a WAD of it now, I'd brush it off. It must be the nostalgia of it being the secret level of Knee Deep that I always had trouble finding as a child.

E2M9 and E3M9 are pretty crap. They both feel very lackluster. E2M9, i mean, what's that about? It's not even a proper level, it's basicly just two rooms with Barons and Cacodemons in it. E3M9 is an interesting twist on Hell Keep but Hell Keep wasn't that great to begin with. I like some aspects of it, tho. The backtracking element of it is kinda nice, and the fact that it's the only time you face a Cyberdemon in the original Doom, apart from Tower of Babel (pre Ultimate Doom, that is).

Wolfenstein is, as someone said, pretty boring. It's just a bunch of big, boring, rectangular rooms tied in with each other. It's a remake of a Wolfenstein map, but level design wasn't really Wolfensteins strong point. Had it been the same design, but all rooms tightened by about 50% it would have been a much more fun run-through. But I remember last time I played it it was very dull just running back and forth across that very bland, and big maze of a map.

EvilNed said:

Wolfenstein is, as someone said, pretty boring. It's just a bunch of big, boring, rectangular rooms tied in with each other. It's a remake of a Wolfenstein map, but level design wasn't really Wolfensteins strong point. Had it been the same design, but all rooms tightened by about 50% it would have been a much more fun run-through. But I remember last time I played it it was very dull just running back and forth across that very bland, and big maze of a map.

I think wolfenstein has some merits - the boring levels were well decorated, and I suppose they made it as interesting as they could with a grid-locked map. But, you are right - the huge scale made it stupid in Doom. It would have been way cooler if they tried to re-make the map with doom's new features in mind. I mean you could make real holding cells, maybe some height variation, add a little detail...

Scalliano, stop cheating

Archvile78 said:

BFG spam maps.

Anybody who's played Free For All on this with more then 2 players will know what I mean.

Back when Wolfenstein was released it blew me away, and I can still have fun playing it one level at a time. It might be "boring" and "one dimensional" by todays cheesy standards, but back then it was a major step forward in gaming. That's all I'm gonna say bout that, as for most hated DooM level, I really don't have one that I hate. Enjoy em all!!!

Aldaraia said:

Any map that focuses on overdetailing more than gameplay.

*coughGothic99cough*

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought Legacy of Suffering's gameplay fucking sucked. The visuals (especially the "secret" map) were cool but the gameplay was a chore. There's a point in one of the later levels--the one with the cyberdemon--where I was trapped in a room and fought two Mancubi that teleported in. Then two more. Then two more. I think I fought 10+ Mancubi by twos until I was allowed to leave that goddamn room and continue the level. It wasn't fun at all and that really sums up the gameplay mechanics of LoS.