TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

Definitely needs to look more like TNT, at the moment I'm not getting that impression.

Share this post


Link to post

So if this is an actual sequel, and not an "episode that resembles TNT Evilution" does that mean we'll start at Last Call? I was thinking about this last night, because of the way TNT ends, the hell sky faded and the smell vanished, something like that, and the ruined skull glowing blue and making some sound, and presumably spitting out monsters endlessly until the player dies.

Sounds like a good way to open it, taking that last text of TNT and turning it into the beginning of a sequel. I'd do it myself if I was a mapper, but you know, im not :{

Share this post


Link to post
dutch devil said:

Definitely needs to look more like TNT, at the moment I'm not getting that impression.


I just played some TNT to look and get a feel for what "TNT style" is. If you can make a map that when I look at it and the only thing that comes to mind is "TNT" (without just duplicating an existing Evilution map or showing me an image of dynatmite) I'd be very impressed.

Share this post


Link to post

When I think TNT techbase I think nitty gritty metal and unsanitary conditions. That's how I've been making my map.

Share this post


Link to post
Never_Again said:

A Russian mapper Eternal (posts on iddqd.ru) has been working on TNT2 for a couple of years now. From what I've seen of his work, he's got a much firmer grasp of the elusive TNT style. Perhaps Hitherto who posts in the Demos forum could throw more light on the subject.


Hah, I thought it will never be revealed. =D Not only Eternal works (worked?) on it, but several other mappers too. The problem is this project is covered in myst for about a year.. Besides, it seems that Eternal is (was?) intended to create something like a remake rather than a sequel. The current status remains unknown to me (and for most people out there, I suppose).

Share this post


Link to post

If you have any links revealing it I could possibly ask permission to merge the current levels we have so far, depending if it's a sequel, not a remake.

Share this post


Link to post

is the Demo Source Port Specific? wouldn't open in Risen3D.. gonna try Zdoom..

EDIT: wouldn't open in Zdoom either.. any tricks to get it to load?

Share this post


Link to post

Do you have the latest Zdoom SVN? There shouldn't be a problem with Risen3D, though, I'll have to look into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Whoo said:

Do you have the latest Zdoom SVN? There shouldn't be a problem with Risen3D, though, I'll have to look into it.


I took a Screenshot of what happened when I tried to load it with Risen3D. give me 5 mins and i'll show it to you just uploading it now



Ugh.. too small hang on.

there we go.



lol didn't reliase my browser would appear to rofl..

Share this post


Link to post
David_Dweedle said:

I took a Screenshot of what happened when I tried to load it with Risen3D. give me 5 mins and i'll show it to you just uploading it now



Ugh.. too small hang on.


Yeah that error has been fixed. You can just open the MAPINFO and add "intermusic D_DM2INT" after "nocrouch".

Share this post


Link to post

For something intended for most or all sourceports to be compatible with, if you're going to include a MAPINFO it'd probably be a good idea to use the older format so non-ZDoom ports that read mapinfo won't choke on it. (Assuming that's the problem. Rereading the thread I'm no longer so sure...)

Share this post


Link to post
Whoo said:

If you have any links revealing it

Only link to iddqd.ru forum. Do you know Russian well? =D

Whoo said:

I could possibly ask permission to merge the current levels we have so far, depending if it's a sequel, not a remake.

Contact between Eternal and community was lost several months ago (I dunno why), so I can't help here. Try talking to entryway, Hitherto or Shadowman...

Share this post


Link to post
Demonologist said:

Contact between Eternal and community was lost several months ago (I dunno why), so I can't help here. Try talking to entryway, Hitherto or Shadowman...


If contact with the developers was lost I see no point to drop this project or merge. If you can give me the page with the link, I will simply run it through a translator.

Share this post


Link to post

I agreee that if this is a sequel to Evilution and not just a megawad that follows its theme, it'd continue where TNT ended (dead bodies evaporating, hellish sky turned blue, blue lights glowing from the carcass of the demon skull, something crumbles in the distance).
I have an idea to add coherency to TNT. On the manual its said that the demons attack from a biomechanomagical ship. Well the last episode of Evilution could be that ship, and the hellish sky turned blue could be the atmosphere (hellish smoke) that that's near the ship, that is flying over UAC base on Jupiter's moon. With the destruction of the demon spawner the ship loses it's powers and you can see jupiter's moon sky.

Well perhaps not everything fits, but I think a megawad following Evilution's "plot" and theme would be more interesting than a megawad following just its theme and nothing else.

Share this post


Link to post

Having it start off hellish makes sense if this is a direct follow up to TNT. TNT, like all of Doom's chapters, had a paper thin plot, but fleshing out the ideas and themes of TNT sounds like a great idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Whoo said:

If you can give me the page with the link, I will simply run it through a translator.

Here you go:
http://arc.iddqd.ru/04082009/viewtopic.php?t=1002&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
First post contains last known status of the project and mappers involved. Last page is actually a flood without Eternal's participation. =)

Then again - talk to people mentioned before. They should be able to contact Eternal, but I have the feeling that project was cancelled. I may think so because Eternal, sadly, hadn't finished many of his personal projects before, so this might be just another one dropped...

Share this post


Link to post
Demonologist said:

Then again - talk to people mentioned before.

Currently about 9 maps are done. All of them are compatible with 'vanilla'. New levels appear not so often, because of other Doom projects and real life. TNT is Eternal's favorite megawad and he "maniacally" maps in precisely same style with similar architecture.

Some random screenshots:



Share this post


Link to post

Another portion of screenshots, because of

You have included too many images in your signature or in your previous post. Please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.

Images include use of smilies, the vB code [img] tag and HTML <img> tags. The use of these is all subject to them being enabled by the administrator.




Share this post


Link to post

He definitely had the lighting down pat. It really evokes the feel of TNT while being completely original.

Share this post


Link to post

Ok entryway, I really wish you had announced this earlier, because we have a few maps in progress that resemble TNT. I don't want to ask you to drop it because it looks like you have a lot done, although I think the only solution here is to ask to merge what we have with your progress, or make new maps on what you want. Although I'm going to have to discuss this with the rest of the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Whoo said:

Ok entryway, I really wish you had announced this earlier, because we have a few maps in progress that resemble TNT. I don't want to ask you to drop it because it looks like you have a lot done, although I think the only solution here is to ask to merge what we have with your progress, or make new maps on what you want. Although I'm going to have to discuss this with the rest of the team.

Well, or you could just continue independently as separate projects instead of trying to annex each other...:S

Share this post


Link to post
Whoo said:

Ok entryway, I really wish you had announced this earlier, because we have a few maps in progress that resemble TNT. I don't want to ask you to drop it because it looks like you have a lot done, although I think the only solution here is to ask to merge what we have with your progress, or make new maps on what you want. Although I'm going to have to discuss this with the rest of the team.


Lol, who the hell do you think you are? I think the best would be that both projects stand separate because Entryway is following Evilution's style better and is well known for high quality stuff. If one of both projects should drop I think it'd have to be yours. But don't worry, nobody is going to ask you that.

Share this post


Link to post

Just keep on trucking and don't worry about any other projects. I think they can both co-exist just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Vegeta said:

Lol, who the hell do you think you are? I think the best would be that both projects stand separate because Entryway is following Evilution's style better and is well known for high quality stuff. If one of both projects should drop I think it'd have to be yours. But don't worry, nobody is going to ask you that.


Damn Whoo! How dare he start a project while there is a secret project that was never announced until this very moment that happens to be the same thing! Anyway I'm going to continue making my map for this TNT2.

Share this post


Link to post
zap610 said:

Damn Whoo! How dare he start a project while there is a secret project that...

I think you missed the point. Allow me to streamline the conversation.

Whoo said:

I don't want to ask you to drop it[/b] because it looks like you have a lot done, although I think the only solution here is to ask to merge what we have with your progress

Vegeta said:
Lol, who the hell do you think you are? I think the best would be that both projects stand separate... Entryway is well known for high quality stuff.


Vegeta's point, in other words. Why is Whoo nearly making demands of another team? If anything, Eternal & Entryway might have the community clout to make such a request and Whoo does not.

I agree that the two should stay separate. It looks/sounds to me like both projects differ in their goals. I like the returning from hell idea. I would like to see both projects brought to completion and not compromised to fit the other.

The only problem I see between the two could be who gets the filename TNT2.WAD but might this project have been called TNT2R.WAD anyway?

I have played the three level demo on this project and my only comment is that the hell levels should be harder. If it starts in hell it should start hard and get harder for gameplay flow. I know its only a demo so don't take it as a complaint. Just a comment.

Share this post


Link to post
HackNeyed said:

Vegeta's point, in other words. Why is Whoo nearly making demands of another team?


I don't think the word ask is demanding. Anyway the projects will stay separate. And I'm probably going to just name the file "TNT2WZ.wad", with the additional letters being the leaders of the project.

Share this post


Link to post
HackNeyed said:

The only problem I see between the two could be who gets the filename TNT2.WAD but might this project have been called TNT2R.WAD anyway?


The best name would be TNT1A0.WAD.

Share this post


Link to post
Whoo said:

I don't think the word ask is demanding. Anyway the projects will stay separate. And I'm probably going to just name the file "TNT2WZ.wad", with the additional letters being the leaders of the project.


Correct. 'Ask' is not a very demanding word. I said 'nearly demanding' because of the overall tone of your post and I wanted to further infer on Vegeta's interpretation and why he came off the way he did. It was the stuff before and after 'ask' that could sound a little demanding is all.

Anyway, I'm glad you have a name picked out. I don't really care what it gets called as long as I can play it sometime. :)

Share this post


Link to post
This topic is now closed to further replies.