Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

So the Ashley Madison leak...

Forgot where I saw it but apparently if somebody else signed you up to the site using your email as a joke, you will turn up on that list. Even if you never responded to the confirmation email. Now that is real shitty for some people. I still think people that legitimately used their work domain email address are stupid.

Back to regularly scheduled moralizing, schadenfreude, lulzing, "everyone on the list is a sack of shit", and "data breaches of private personal information are bad regardless if they're sacks of shit mmmkay?"

SYS said:

Forgot where I saw it but apparently if somebody else signed you up to the site using your email as a joke,

I have had that happen. Not with AshMad, but with match. About 3 years ago, I received a confirmation email that I had signed up. I kinda figured out who it was based on the profile they made.

Doomkid said:

A lot of people kill themselves because they can't handle the repercussions of their thoughtless, disgraceful, disrespectful, hurtful or otherwise "bad" actions. This is nothing new.

Yeah, suicide is your own choice, even if someone or something makes you feel bad enough to do it rather than overcome it. The one that he cheated on would rather have him alive even if they want him dead. Death is just so final.

As for the guy in Saudi Arabia, they *might* stone him for being gay. He can always leave. James Rhandi's cabana boy left Vennesuala because they were gonna kill him. Of course the gay Russians don't care to leave in the face of their country's ways, I remember an interview where one of them said "I am Russian first."

He should try to delete his email and contain that area before anyone finds out. Abandon it, use a different one. Not to blame the victim or anything, but for future reference if you're doing anything that may get you killed or arrested, do not use your usual email address.

For fucks sake.
Nothing that website did could ever justify what the hackers did, or any possible suicide or destroyed private life it might create as a result. One also has to mention the identity theft or financial theft the hackers could commit with the data.

Massive amounts of severely damaging criminality, invasion of privacy, theft of credit card information, and anything needed for full blown identity theft Versus a dating website, a bunch of singles, a few cheaters, joke profiles, and people whose lives and loves are none of anybody his (or her) concern.

Its 2015 digital data spread trough the internet is important enough to steal your entire life, bank account, identity, "paperwork", and destroy every fraction of your so called life if a hacker got hold of it...

which is worse than that site and its slogan.

It's not the cheating that I find distasteful; - it's the fucking stupidity of those who gladly handed over their address, credit cards and email addresses to a company that is quite obviously shady as fuck.

darknation said:

It's not the cheating that I find distasteful; - it's the fucking stupidity of those who gladly handed over their address, credit cards and email addresses to a company that is quite obviously shady as fuck.

Agreed but still data theft is illegal even if its from a shady yet legit organization that tried to buy the naming rights to MetLife stadium. Cheating on your spouse isn't illegal. That's a blurred moral line. Some people on there might never have been really married.

If it was illegal cops would stop it. This is just vigilantism which is illegal.

painting these hackers as vigilantes is coming at the issue from the wrong angle. This is not about justice. There is not any sort of agenda here beyond fucking with people for personal gratification. The genius of this epic troll is the choice of victim, viz, rich retards desperately trying to get fucked.

And fucked they were. Gloriously.

In my original post I was painting them as credit card thrives and blackmailers. Anyway data theft is illegal.

What they did was absolutely wrong and I don't in any way condone it. That said, so is cheating, and I certainly don't condone that, nor do I feel pity for anyone who was caught cheating. Two wrongs don't make a right, in my opinion. The hackers should absolutely be punished, not praised, for their actions. At the same time, if you got caught cheating because of these hackers, that's your own lookout, and the fact that illegal means were used to expose your cheating isn't a "get out of jail free" card, nor should it be.

My problem is mainly just that people seem to want to take sides - either to cheer the hackers and attack the cheaters, or defend the cheaters and attack the hackers. It's not that simple. Just because what the other side did was wrong doesn't make your side right.

One final note - my biggest concern out of all of this is for people who may have ended up in the database because of the actions of someone else - you know, a friend sets up an account for someone else as a joke or something. I think those people have it the worst - having to explain that they never set up an account themselves and yet are still in the database. Of course, I'm sure there will a few people that will get caught through this hack who will try to use that as an excuse, but that's a whole new can of worms.

geekmarine said:

My problem is mainly just that people seem to want to take sides - either to cheer the hackers and attack the cheaters, or defend the cheaters and attack the hackers. It's not that simple. Just because what the other side did was wrong doesn't make your side right.

darknation said:

I think these are the two most logical posts in this entire thread.

I think its pretty cool that people can hack into a website and gather the information of every valid user.

It is rather stupid of people though to PAY to register for a website to get sex.

There are plenty of alternatives if you are looking for an affair or if you just want casual sex. Dumbasses.

dew said:

Then why isn't the entire NSA locked up yet?

Unfortunately, there are few laws that can't be bent or broken in the name of national security, and if it's also part of the "war on terror" we're supposed to suck it down while our rights, liberties, privacy, dignity & etc. are systematically stripped away, all in order to keep us "safe". I don't enjoy being treated like habituated wildlife!
</rant>

Back on topic - I've little sympathy for Ashley Madison's owners, their cheating clients or the hackers. Nobody's coming out if this mess smelling of roses, least of all the hackers, who are probably sitting on a metric fuckton of credit card numbers.

SavageCorona said:

This thread has already gone places. I was late :(

Yeah guys, why didn't you wait for the Senior Shitposter to show you how it's done? :P

GreyGhost said:

Nobody's coming out if this mess smelling of roses, least of all the hackers, who are probably sitting on a metric fuckton of credit card numbers.

Yep. Everyone from the victims (unless registered without their knowing), to the corporation, to the hacking culprits are at fault here.

I think that's the simplest answer.

geo said:

As for the guy in Saudi Arabia, they *might* stone him for being gay. He can always leave.

That's not how it works.

Interesting. This is my favorite, tho;

So got a call, from our church leaders yesterday, saying my husband's work email was on *redacted*

repent sinners!

Obsidian said:

Yeah guys, why didn't you wait for the Senior Shitposter to show you how it's done? :P

I was going to predict this was going to descend into a huge argument about ethics which will inevitably end up at politics somehow.

I'm calling it if this does end up at politics in an organic manner.

That's not the first lawsuit against a company that was data breached, nor is it the first against a paid dating site.

I kinda wonder how their "data security manager" is taking all of this, if that person has been fired. I know I know, don't blame the victim, but there are people who are hired to watch these things and track down who did the crime :-) All part of the job description.

geo said:

That's not the first lawsuit against a company that was data breached, nor is it the first against a paid dating site.

I kinda wonder how their "data security manager" is taking all of this, if that person has been fired. I know I know, don't blame the victim, but there are people who are hired to watch these things and track down who did the crime :-) All part of the job description.

Maybe one could spin it in his favour: "Experience in handling a security-related crisis" :-D

Errrm, on second thought, I would not mention this employment in my CV!

Cheating (not the IDDQD kind) is one of (if not the) lowest actions a person can do. I believe that once a cheater, always a cheater - there is no way to "excuse" it, ever, and these people got what they deserved. I also think Avid Life Media has done some unethical things and deserve all the lawsuits coming at them.

Having said all of this, I believe the AM leak is bad. It's a huge security breach and there are many security concerns. In addition, people may have used fake emails to sign up for the site - in other words, YOUR EMAIL could have been used even though you have absolutely zero to do with the site.

Pure Hellspawn said:

Cheating (not the IDDQD kind) is one of (if not the) lowest actions a person can do.

Murder, rape, pillage, theft, drunk driving, FGM, genocide, taking a shit in the cistern at a party, fucking dogs and horses, general Hitlerism, child abuse, MISGENDERING!, injecting heroin into the fat blue vein underneath your cock, spreading AIDS, dangling your child over a balcony window, chopping a man's cock off and throwing it out of the window of a moving car, selling drugs, leaking files to wikileaks, flying planes into trade centers, releasing anthrax in tube stations, stealing babies from aborigines, oops I accidentally Madeleline McCann'ed, shooting rhinos and elephants...

Perspective required, then. As much as you hate your ex for allowing the ingress of another man's peen, there are actually worse things in the world.

Oh please, in a perfect world cheating should be endorsed. Humans aren't monogamous and will never be, it's only a widely perpetrated illusion. You'll never be able to remain attracted to one single human being other than yourself throughout your lifespan no matter what.

darknation said:

Murder, rape, pillage, theft, drunk driving, FGM, genocide, taking a shit in the cistern at a party, fucking dogs and horses, general Hitlerism, child abuse, MISGENDERING!, injecting heroin into the fat blue vein underneath your cock, spreading AIDS, dangling your child over a balcony window, chopping a man's cock off and throwing it out of the window of a moving car, selling drugs, leaking files to wikileaks, flying planes into trade centers, releasing anthrax in tube stations, stealing babies from aborigines, oops I accidentally Madeleline McCann'ed, shooting rhinos and elephants...

Perspective required, then. As much as you hate your ex for allowing the ingress of another man's peen, there are actually worse things in the world.

Don't forget not checking your privilege

j4rio said:

Oh please, in a perfect world cheating should be endorsed. Humans aren't monogamous and will never be, it's only a widely perpetrated illusion. You'll never be able to remain attracted to one single human being other than yourself throughout your lifespan no matter what.

pretty much this. There will always be some inner conflict fighting that urge. It's human nature... maybe some sort of genetic or primal instinct.

While monogamy might be religious and social inspired traits for both sexes to abide by under civilized moral code... it's truly only suppressing our own nature and genetic urges, even if you don't act on it.

Of course, that's no excuse to cheat on your wife or girlfriend. In fact, having those urges and attraction are one thing... dealing with it in a reasonable way is another. Cheating is a dick move to begin with. If you're not wanting to continue a relationship or lost interest, and prefer someone else, just flat out say it and be honest from the start. Just because YOU may not perceive it to be anything drastic doesn't mean your current (or soon to be ex) partner perceives it the same... everyone has different reactions.

I'm not saying that "Oh, honey... I just don't want to do this anymore" is going to amount to a happy, ho-hum shrug off on their part.

But it'll be handled A HELL of a lot better than being busted cheating or running away with someone else.