Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Plutonia Revisited Community Project: Released!

Should this project go ahead?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Should this project go ahead?

• Yes
    • No

Revs AND an Archie, that's fantastic! XP Pics look pretty cool to me, though!

And the Titlepic is interesting. Doesn't feel Plutonia to me, however.

t.v. said:

Hey guys,

This is what I came up with for the titlepic.
Let me know what you think.

url

It is in the Doom palette.
I'll work on the rest later.

I know Joshy wants it to be Plutonia textures only but I just wanted to offer the option of using the additional textures I made for Plutonia 2 (in the PL2.wad).

That's quite nice actually. Thanks for that :-) It's not too much of either plutonia 1 or 2, so that's about right. :P

Well, on second thoughts I'm interested in what textures you've to offer, might change the rule into only using stock and your textures. Do you have them in a wad file that we can use? Thanks for offering too.

@Keeper of jericho: I'm liking the shots so far, keep it up. :-)

@Doomhero85: I'm interested in playing the map and seeing how it all blends together. :-) As for the shots, I think the first one could be better in a few ways: Both the floor and ceiling are the same, and doesn't really compliment the wall textures, they seem to clash. Maybe change the floor or the ceiling into something similar to the wall texture themes? Room is maybe too rectangle but it's hard to determine by just looking at screenies until I start playing it. And the wooden pillars is slightly weird with all the horizontal wooden planks piling up very high, maybe a vertical singular or double wooden planks instead? Just a thought. Keep it up. :-)

Making slow but steady progress with my map, it's turning out to be a mixture between Congo and something else. I'm going to call it "Violent Omen".

Don't consider me an official sign-up yet, but if I make a map in time for this I'll try and submit it - I had fun going semi-plutonia visuals on my latest CC4 map, and I think I need to get back into mapping, so I'll cancel a couple of things I've got that are never getting done, do a map for pcorf's community project as a warm-up then see if I can get anything in for this project too.

I know vanilla limitations fairly well, but a little testing by others when I'm done would be required as I map from memory of the limits rather than testing in them.

Sure thing Phobus, hopefully you'll be able to make one in time. :-)

That screenie looks very nice DeathevokatioN!

Thought I'd post what work I've done for the last few hours. Couple screenies of 'stonewall', pretty much a small and easy map. Sorta wanted to make it congo style. So far, all's within the limits. And I gotta say, that chocorenderlimits thingy is mighty helpful!

Joshy said:

That screenie looks very nice DeathevokatioN!

Thanks man, well not as good as yours though. :-)

Khorus said:

This version of chocolate doom shows the number of segs/visplanes/sprites on screen at once and gives warnings for VPOs and HoMs. It's a very useful tool if you're new to the limits.

I'm having trouble getting this to work, I right click on my wad and go "Open With" and click on this but it goes straight to Doom 2. Not my wad. Sorry I'm a total cave man when it comes to computers. How do you get it to work?

DeathevokatioN said:

Thanks man, well not as good as yours though. :-)

Heh, IMO not better but different, but thanks. :)

I'm having trouble getting this to work, I right click on my wad and go "Open With" and click on this but it goes straight to Doom 2. Not my wad. Sorry I'm a total cave man when it comes to computers. How do you get it to work?

Heh, I had the same problem before trying to run plutonia on prboom. You enter in command lines (in the explorer bar on top of the folder of the chocorender/chocolatedoom folder, ensure that the folder contains both plutonia.wad and your.wad, then you enter:

chocorenderlimits (or name of port's executive without the .exe) -iwad plutonia.wad -file your.wad

and it should come up just diddly fine. Hope this helps!

Alright after considering some thought about this since you first post this up Joshy, I'm willing to halt my own ep2 project and make a map for this so sign me up. I'm thinking about doing a level similar to Plutonia's map17 but different(I have ideas).

Joshy said:

and it should come up just diddly fine. Hope this helps!

Thanks bro, it does!

At it's peak, the segmentation came up to 242 out of 256 at one point. hehe, scary stuff... making an extensive layout with sectors that overlook eachother at different heights is going to get tricky with vanilla limits.

Demo/speedrunning friendly recommended (implementing speedrunning features very welcome and a bonus, )

As a casual recorder I don't approve this. I fear it takes all the fun and creativity and leaves you just executing predetermined routes and tricks.

Pencil me in for an author slot. I've been itching to do a map for Plutonia for a while.

EDIT: Oh, you need to name an episode. Episode 1, then, I guess.

EDIT AGAIN: Also, is music from ROTT fine, or are we confined to the Doom Engine games for music?

xepop said:

As a casual recorder I don't approve this. I fear it takes all the fun and creativity and leaves you just executing predetermined routes and tricks.

What I meant by this was that the aim of making it demo 'friendly' is that Maxes and Speedruns are completable and doable (enough ammo/armour/health to keep in mind, etc etc). There isn't truly any need for explicit or whatnot shortcuts, or simple routes, it could just be 'normal', provided recording a demo is possible. It's up to the mapper with the designs.

Mista_T said:

Pencil me in for an author slot. I've been itching to do a map for Plutonia for a while.

EDIT: Oh, you need to name an episode. Episode 1, then, I guess.

EDIT AGAIN: Also, is music from ROTT fine, or are we confined to the Doom Engine games for music?

Sure no worries, welcome aboard! :-)

You can use any music you'd like. Custom music pretty much means new music of your choice whether it be from doom or ROTT.

Hey Joshy, would it be possible for you to sign me up for another E1 slot? I've been totally inspired lately to do a map in the vein of the later abstract Plutonia levels as well as the Congo level I'm working on! I've also got some custom music prepared for it. :P

It's awesome to see Darkwave0000 is taking part in this as well.

This is looking like it's going to be an awesome set of maps so far. I could certainly enjoy myself with some more Plutonia-style maps, even after playing through Plutonia 2 multiple times. Good luck to you guys :D

Just start my map yesterday(about 25-30% done so far).

The name of the map will be "Infested Compound" and it will have the same music as the original Compound map(using "At Doom's Gate" song).

I will upload a beta-version of the graphics wad this week.
It will contain a titlepic, intermission pic, menu, statusbar and my textures from Plutonia2.

Furthermore I would like to claim the slot for map30. I have a great idea for it.

DeathevokatioN said:

Hey Joshy, would it be possible for you to sign me up for another E1 slot? I've been totally inspired lately to do a map in the vein of the later abstract Plutonia levels as well as the Congo level I'm working on! I've also got some custom music prepared for it. :P

It's awesome to see Darkwave0000 is taking part in this as well.

Sure thing, the more maps the merrier. Just in case if the number of maps aren't fulfilled. And yup, am looking forward to Darky's map too. :-)

t.v. said:

I will upload a beta-version of the graphics wad this week.
It will contain a titlepic, intermission pic, menu, statusbar and my textures from Plutonia2.

Furthermore I would like to claim the slot for map30. I have a great idea for it.

Great, thanks for that. Got you on the list too.

Keep up the good work guys, screenies looking good. :-)

And on a sidenote I've completed two maps. Stonewall for Map01 and Cyberfort for Map07.
Here's a screenie of Map07. Don't let it spook you, it's not that hard really. :-)

One last question: how much more difficult will the maps be overall than the original Plutonia? I'm looking forward to taking on the megawad when it's done.

Not gonna make any guarantees, but I've got a plutonia map I was working on a year or two ago that I could donate if (and that's a really big if) I decide to finish it.

Map's in vanilla format, but probably needs some work to be vanilla compatible, as I'm sure it probably pushes a few of the limits.

Slow but steady progress on my map 21 "Asmodeus' Circle". I'd like to hear if there's more detailing needed, even though it's still not totally finished.

No monsters yet, since the map's layout won't be very big (like the original "Slayer" wasn't very big either), I'm working on that first.

Some screens for my contribution - probably going to be a MAP04 or MAP05 type of map:

Keeper of Jericho said:

I'd like to hear if there's more detailing needed

You really don't need more detail than that, it looks perfect as it as it is.

As I didn't make many levels since my work on Plutonia 2, as I see that t.v. is in and as you impressed me with Speed of Doom... I think I will definitely make something for you Joshy.
Can I have a slot on episode 2 please? I would like to create something in the spirit of plutonia map 12 / pl2 map 15, but more... much more violent and acrobatic :).

Sure thing K!r4 :-). Looking forward to your piece.

Tendamonsta, you are welcome to become a tester. Basically anyone's allowed to test but we could always use more players of your calibre. :-)

brinks said:

Not gonna make any guarantees, but I've got a plutonia map I was working on a year or two ago that I could donate if (and that's a really big if) I decide to finish it.

No, I won't accept that. You will guarantee that you will finish the map! :P Looks really nice too!

Keeper of Jericho
I'd like to hear if there's more detailing needed, even though it's still not totally finished.

I think it's fine the way it's going at the moment, it looks good. :-) I wonder how the surrounding layout will look eventually.

And nice screenies too, Mista_T!