Mancubus
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > If Doom was done today
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:14. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
chubz
Blackfish changed my title again

As a lifelong fan of Doom and someone angry with the direction in which today's first-person shooters are headed, I knew after I watched this video about Quake, I had to whip up my very own Doom WAD to spread the word about just how pathetic today's shooters and their campaigns really are. I'm talking about lame elements like cutscenes that constantly disrupt gameplay throughout each level, regenerating health, and incredibly linear level design that punishes you if you decide to try and explore off the beaten path.

That being said, I present to you, "Call of Dooty," a parody of most modern shooters set on Doom's E1M1. You've undoubtedly played Hangar thousands of times before, but never quite like this! The intent of this WAD is to make a statement about today's games, not necessarily to be enjoyable to play. Regardless, I hope that you find it entertaining and get a few laughs out of it.

http://i.imgur.com/RXZsB.jpg

Mirrors:
Click Here
Click Here

Full-Length Gameplay Trailer:
Click Here

Please let me know what you think! I know I can't be the only oldschool Doomer around who feels absolutely disgusted by the level (and game) design of almost every new singleplayer shooter he touches.

Old Post 11-08-11 07:39 #
chubz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
40oz
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

okay modern games have too many scripted events, dialogue, on-screen directions, quicktime events, and other meaningless cinematic clutter that interrupts gameplay, I get it.

Old Post 11-08-11 09:31 #
40oz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mr. T

This was hilarious

Old Post 11-08-11 09:36 #
Mr. T is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
GreyGhost
I have a custom title now!

Nice video, I'll try the wad later. If shareware Doom played like that I'd probably have given it the flick.

Old Post 11-08-11 09:36 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
killer2

Awesome parody, really catches most of the new-era gaming cliches and annoyances.

Old Post 11-08-11 10:07 #
killer2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
chubz

Mr. T said:
This was hilarious

GreyGhost said:
Nice video, I'll try the wad later. If shareware Doom played like that I'd probably have given it the flick.

40oz said:
okay modern games have too many scripted events, dialogue, on-screen directions, quicktime events, and other meaningless cinematic clutter that interrupts gameplay, I get it.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I've gotten some requests to do more Episode 1 levels in that style with goofy tributes to modern gaming cliches so I may very well take those people up on that offer. If I do get around to creating more stuff for it, I'll post updates here in this thread.

40oz said:

Fabulous! I'm happy for you.

Last edited by chubz on 11-08-11 at 10:17

Old Post 11-08-11 10:11 #
chubz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DaniJ

This is an awesome idea. When done, name it doom4-antibible.wad and mail it to Tim Willits.

Old Post 11-08-11 10:26 #
DaniJ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
chubz

DaniJ said:
This is an awesome idea. When done, name it doom4-antibible.wad and mail it to Tim Willits.

LMAO!

Old Post 11-08-11 10:38 #
BlueEagle

Haha, this was funny :)

I agree that it's pretty sad so see that modern games are only rail shooters with a little bit of space to run around to give the impression of freedom. Until you get to the next scripted event of course.

Old Post 11-08-11 10:50 #
BlueEagle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
TheEndOfUs

Lol, someone please make this shit go viral!

Old Post 11-08-11 10:52 #
TheEndOfUs is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
_bruce_

Well done!

Old Post 11-08-11 10:54 #
_bruce_ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Tarnsman
Forum Regular

Minor nitpick, Isn't 'f' the use key and not 'e' for CoD?

Old Post 11-08-11 11:06 #
Tarnsman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
chubz

Tarnsman said:

You could very well be correct. I know a lot of games today use E, though - even Battlefield 3 - so I just went with that.

Old Post 11-08-11 11:07 #
C30N9

This was hilarious! And true! Good job!

Old Post 11-08-11 13:09 #
C30N9 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
dannebubinga
Forum Regular

I use "e" as my use-button! Am I a bad person? :(

Old Post 11-08-11 13:15 #
dannebubinga is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Larzuk

That was awesome.

Old Post 11-08-11 13:35 #
Larzuk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
NiuHaka

Thank you for this video. I enjoyed it. I laughed when the Imp ambushed the marine at the end.

Old Post 11-08-11 14:53 #
NiuHaka is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
purpleyoshi13

This Is Pretty fun, I expected a loose COD resources rip and such but it turned out pretty cool actually, would love to see an entire episode this way.

Old Post 11-08-11 15:06 #
purpleyoshi13 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

lol at the cutscene with the 3 shotgunners outside. And the "return to combat area" messages at the end.

Old Post 11-08-11 15:27 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

The Mockaward is saved, methinks.

Tarnsman said:

Whatever happened to the old "press X to not die"? :P

Old Post 11-08-11 15:32 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Gez

The Ultimate DooMer said:
Whatever happened to the old "press X to not die"? :P

Or "press space to win"?

Old Post 11-08-11 15:59 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
TheMionicDonut

The Ultimate DooMer said:
The Mockaward is saved, methinks.

Indeed.
Im considering running this by some of my tool acquaintances (the ones who like CoD) and see what they think of this.

Old Post 11-08-11 16:00 #
TheMionicDonut is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Gez

I'm mostly amused by the voice acting calling the demons "Russians".

Old Post 11-08-11 16:20 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mr. T

I enjoyed how the zigzag path was changed to be straight

Old Post 11-08-11 16:23 #
Mr. T is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Danarchy
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

That was hilarious. Do modern FPSs actually have that "return to mission zone" thing?

Old Post 11-08-11 17:22 #
Danarchy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

DuckReconMajor said:
Am I a horrible person if I'd legitimately enjoy playing that?

It's not any worse than any half-assed ZDoom or ZDaemon co-op mod, really.

Old Post 11-08-11 17:25 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Staple

Danarchy said:
That was hilarious. Do modern FPSs actually have that "return to mission zone" thing?

Certain multiplayer maps in Call of Duty stop you from doing it via slightly more innovative ways. I'm sure Battlefield games have that actual message come on the screen though.

Old Post 11-08-11 17:49 #
DoomUK is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Phobus
Forum Staple

Evne SOCOM did that on the single player campaign sometimes, and those were fairly free-flowing missions when it came to how you'd actually acheive the objectives, avoid detection, etc.

Old Post 11-08-11 17:54 #
Phobus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cyanosis
Forum Regular

Best thing I've seen all month.

Old Post 11-08-11 18:10 #
Cyanosis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
pizzabob18

This is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. Just imagine how a level like Downtown would be created nowadays, there would be one straight pathway to the exit (the rest is blocked by debris), invisible walls, and probably 15 cut-scenes, at least.

Old Post 11-08-11 19:09 #
pizzabob18 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote