Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Plutonia Revisited Community Project: Released!

Should this project go ahead?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Should this project go ahead?

• Yes
    • No

Whoo said:

Which slots are available?

9, 10 and 11. Four people are working on maps for the episode and three has priority and their slots are to be reserved until deadline and if they do not make it, then backup maps will be used, such as yours if you do make one for this episode.

I just remembered that I made a map for this project O_o. I was supposed to send it to the testers but I haven't gotten around to doing it yet. I think I had a few big bugs that needed squashing before it was sent off. Sorry about that, I'll work on it tonight and ship it out.

[edit]

Also, "Gopher It"

Mechadon said:

I just remembered that I made a map for this project O_o. I was supposed to send it to the testers but I haven't gotten around to doing it yet. I think I had a few big bugs that needed squashing before it was sent off. Sorry about that, I'll work on it tonight and ship it out.

Screenies please :)))))

A note to Joshy and the one doing the map title graphics: my map is called:

Dance with the Devil

not

Dancing with the Devil

Also, do I have the position for DEHACKED patch maker? If so, should the format be in BEX? In other words, is this meant to be a separate patch or a DEHACKED lump? BEX should be easier, as some of the map names will definitely breach the string length requirement.

[WH]-Wilou84 said:
BEX ( "Boom Extended" ) doesn't really sound vanilla-friendly, imho.

Yeah, it'll have to be in deh format. And will fix the map title, my bad :3.

Okay. Dehacked 3.1 it is. I'm still worried that the map names will inevitably breach string lengths. I'll see what I can do.

Okay. Dehacked 3.1 it is. I'm still worried that the map names will inevitably breach string lengths. I'll see what I can do.

IIRC: You can replace the "map##:_" in the original strings giving you an extra 7 characters by leaving out the map number. Long map names can have shortened names in the deh. It is done this way in various projects.

The mapnames on the intermission screen will be the official names. The names displayed on the automap can be aberrations.
--

As for the map name for map32:
I came up with:

"Go 3 it"
... as in ' go free it ' assuming the player will have to free several monsters (in order to progres).

or "Go freely".
The number 3 makes sense, since it is the third plutonia megawad map32 replacement.

But any other mentioned name is fine as well :-)

Map name: Terra Incognita
Music: Open for anyone who wants to make a replacement / remix.

I just checked the lengths of the map names (on page 1) against Plutonias and the following may need to be shortened for vanilla dehacked:
MAP03, MAP05, MAP08, MAP19.

Belial said:
"Done 2 Death"

Haha, funny under the circumstances and pretty cool for a slaughter map...

Map slot: 9
Map name: Ruined Kingdom
Custom music: Yes
Progress: 50 - 55% done

Some Screen Shots
http://cacocacodemon.hp.infoseek.co.jp/pl_revi07.jpg
http://cacocacodemon.hp.infoseek.co.jp/pl_revi08.jpg
http://cacocacodemon.hp.infoseek.co.jp/pl_revi09.jpg
http://cacocacodemon.hp.infoseek.co.jp/pl_revi10.jpg

Gez said:

The dark lines on the edges of the wood textures, combined with the absence of such strong contrast on the rest, gives a cartoony look to these screenshots. As if there's an incomplete cell-shading effect going on. It makes the other textures look very flat to me. I'd suggest looking for different wood textures, that integrate better in the scene.

myk said:

Yeah, but the same combination of textures is used in Map02 of Plutonia, and it works. Much of the flatness seems to be from the contrasts created by the engine and its brightness, which makes each texture type stand out, but maybe this map uses brighter sectors... I wonder how the same place looks in vanilla at usegamma 0.

Yes, I refered to pl02 when I made it. Brightness of sectors under the sky ceiling is "192". This is not very different from that of pl02 and pl08. I also think other wood textures for pillars aren't suitable for outdoor areas. (Like, PANBORD1 and 2.)

4mer said:

Map name: Terra Incognita
Music: Open for anyone who wants to make a replacement / remix.

I just checked the lengths of the map names (on page 1) against Plutonias and the following may need to be shortened for vanilla dehacked:
MAP03, MAP05, MAP08, MAP19.

The other question now is whether this patch is for DOOM2.EXE or PLUTONIA.EXE. Shall I assume PLUTONIA?

And should I create a BEX DEHACKED lump anyway for those ports that are unhindered by such limitations?

Mista_T said:

Shall I assume PLUTONIA?

Yes.

Mista_T said:

And should I create a BEX DEHACKED lump anyway for those ports that are unhindered by such limitations?

You could use the same DEH file for the DEHACKED lump in the wad. That's what they did in PL2. (Well they actually used one which has slight differences for a couple of map names, maybe they forgot to update it).

Looking good!

Also, there has been a change regarding map selection. Maps will now be accepted according to the testers. We'll still try to keep in mind allowing as many authors we can but eventually, quality is something we will look out for. I'll further expand on this soon.

EDIT: By deadline, we will examine all the submitted maps and determine which gets a slot and which doesn't.. pretty much like Claustrophobia 1024. Detail is not what we consider quality. As long as you put in an effort and it somewhat speaks out 'plutonia', your submitted map has a good chance of being accepted.

hawkwind said:

@ Joshy,

The resource wad has been updated by tv ...

http://rabotik.nl/temp/prcp03.zip

Thanks, I've misunderstood a file name, and assumed it was meant to be accompanied with the resource texture I posted. I'll put this down as lack of sleep on my part. ^^

Welp, I just realized that I don't have a copy of the PLUTONIA DOS executable around.

If any one else would like to take the DeHackEd duties, it's up for grabs.

I finished up my updates today and I've sent the map off to the testers :). Took longer than I thought it would.

K!r4 said:

Screenies please :)))))

I posted some a number of pages back when I first finished the map. But since it looks slightly different now, I'll post some new ones.

DoomHero85 said:

Who should I send my map to? It is done now.

LIST OF TESTERS:
Snakes
Hawkwind
dew
Tendamonsta
Belial

Plus Joshy.

I can't promise i'll give a prompt response, though. I'm bogged down by school work and need to test Mek's and [WH]-Wilou84's maps still.

Mista_T said:

Welp, I just realized that I don't have a copy of the PLUTONIA DOS executable around.

If any one else would like to take the DeHackEd duties, it's up for grabs.

I think that doom2.exe should be enough. In any event I can do the dehacked lump ... just level names after all.

Doom2.exe needs to be from final doom if you want to use DeHacked. However you could just take the pl2.deh from Plutonia 2 and edit it.

You can always get a Final Doom DOS Executable from the Ladopato site. It's legit.

[EDIT] DOGGAMN, 485 monsters. Now I need to go through all of them and add difficulty flags. Well, at least it'll be "done" after that...

I have finished my map after receiving the feedback.

But I don't see Joshy's e-mail address anywhere...

(my e-mail is underneath this post.)

No worries TV I'll email you pronto.

Annnnnd, could everyone pretty please report their current progress? Only ten more days before the 'deadline', but considering how things are looking at the moment, it is looking likely the very final deadline (that is, all maps submitted and tested individually and updated accordingly) should be around late November but still please finish the map at least around the end of October.