Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

On 11/17/2019 at 4:45 AM, Lynnie said:

I also want to report that The Titan Anomaly, and The Farside of Titan are missing some sounds for the Revenant, Hell Knight, Cacodemon, Arachnotron, and maybe a few others if I remember correctly.

I can confirm this but it's happening only on beta build. On testing build all sounds is fine, the proof in the vids on my channel. Especially given the fact that music hack tool is used.

It means there are some global memory leak or other issues/inaccuracies, GEC can check it out. Other levels potentially can also have issues like this.

Well, guys... I have some news.

First one - I'm quitting the Doom modding. Not for eternity, but for a long time, I suppose. I've decided to do it in November. BUT...

Second one - I've decided to fix the "Trapped on Titan" map.

This map was really bad ported by myself. Lags, bugs, impossibility to finish level at all... That was really bad move from me. This map literally sucked. So I've fixed it before quitting Doom modding.

Here goes some screenshots:

Spoiler

Most noticeable changes:

o6gdris.jpg

MDIKM0z.jpg

M0XP4ZI.jpg

tqQq0Lh.jpg

Extra screenshots:

NiIUg2m.png

GUNMAHj.png

Also I've found a bug on this map which I can't fix. I've recorded it:

Anyway, this map is beatable now. I've sent a copy of updated map to @Erick194

Well, if you've find even more bugs on my maps - sorry, I'm not able to fix this. Feel free to do anything with it.

From this moment I'll just will watch threads here and comment/react sometimes. Cheers!

F.

Does this mean there won't be any more initiative for the potential PSX Sigil?

I'm still working on trying to get a decent build for E5M9 so at least we'll have some part of Sigil playable (though depending on memory It may have to be separated from the rest of the master edition).

Erick said that each episode in both PSX Doom and Final Doom can store up to 64 levels each. I messaged him on Discord whether the former PSX Doom is true.

My friend just sent me this video. I've found it interesting enough to post it here. Why? Well, we all know how textures in PS Doom are warping (which makes things not good sometimes). I'm kinda curious to test such disabling feature like in this video.

Perspective correction isn't applicable in PSX Doom's case. The level geometry isn't displayed with a polygonal renderer like most PS1 games, so there is actually no texture warping at extreme angles (edit: not the usual PS1 affine texture mapping warping, that is). The elements that do use polygonal rendering (sprites, the HUD) always face the camera, so they don't experience any warping either.

Edited by Lollie : clarification

1 hour ago, Lollie said:

The level geometry isn't displayed with a polygonal renderer like most PS1 games, so there is actually no texture warping at extreme angles.

Just check my last screenshots - you'll see clearly that BOOKS texture is lagging and it looks like not aligned. But it IS aligned. Just in different angles it lags and "moves".

When I say there's "no texture warping at extreme angles", I'm specifically referring to the texture warping that is inherent with PS1's affine texture mapping, which is tied to how the console handles polygonal rendering. (It's what made Tomb Raider's textures look like they were "melting" at bad angles.) The issue you're describing is something that's specific to PSX Doom's renderer, "perspective correction" features in emulators won't fix it.

PSX Doom has texture warping for different reasons.

The usual affine texture warping problems are due to large polygons. To mitigate this as much as possible, PSX Doom draws its walls not with large polys like most games, but with lots of tiny polygonal strips. This generally eliminates the affine texture swim, at the cost of really murdering the framerates because it's pushing lots of polys.

You can test this yourself via RetroArch: its Mednafen hardware renderer has an option called PGXP that generally eliminates the swim in most games. It won't do anything for PSX Doom, precisely because the stuff it's meant to act on - correction of swim across large polys - is useless when your renderer is rendering walls as essentially tiny polygonal columns.

I want to dilute the silence a bit, and upload these couple of videos, at the same time to congratulate Doomworld on the forthcoming 2020 year. 🎄🎄🎄

The mapping part is almost done, now GEC is optimizing the engine as I understand it.

Here's something that may be of interest if you need another official secret exit for fitting another map in...

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fsvfb8h64wvozym/snese2m2.wad/file

(Vanilla Doom map replacing e2m2)

The SNES Doom is missing the usual E2 map with the secret exit so they added one to Refinery (which is E2M2 on SNES rather than E2M3)

I took the PC e2m3, made it e2m2 and added the SNES version secret exit as exactly as I can tell.   I think this is map11 in PSX Doom and you're welcome to copy and paste the secret exit, though the switch to open it is put within another secret, a secret door they may have retextured in PSX to make way too obvious.

Here's a map of the SNES one: http://www.classicdoom.com/snesmaps/secs/e2m2.htm

So I put in my SNES cart and played through the map so I could see it in person so to speak.

Walking in the actual SNES version I examined the exact texture alignment.   Examined the geometry in the SNES automap.   Checked my geometry and vertices matching on latitudes against that web page map and screenshots of SNES automap.  Viewed youtube videos of medium and hard and kept rewinding to get the enemy placement as exact as possible.   Loaded up the Japanese rom which lets you play E2 on easy and its enemy placement was same as medium within the secret exit room (Tried to do that with Game Genie with my actual cart but my contacts need cleaning for it to work).   Seems the web page map isn't totally accurate and I made sure I matched closer to SNES automap though SNES seems to have display distortion (especially when looking at wall textures!).   SNES doesn't have browngrn and uses brown1.   I kept it consistent with browngrn instead of using brown1.

snese2m2.jpg

Edited by Gokuma

4 hours ago, Gokuma said:

Here's something that may be of interest if you need another official secret exit for fitting another map in...

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fsvfb8h64wvozym/snese2m2.wad/file

(Vanilla Doom map replacing e2m2)

The SNES Doom is missing the usual E2 map with the secret exit so they added one to Refinery (which is E2M2 on SNES rather than E2M3)

I took the PC e2m3, made it e2m2 and added the SNES version secret exit as exactly as I can tell.   I think this is map11 in PSX Doom and you're welcome to copy and paste the secret exit, though the switch to open it is put within another secret, a secret door they may have retextured in PSX to make way too obvious.

Here's a map of the SNES one: http://www.classicdoom.com/snesmaps/secs/e2m2.htm

So I put in my SNES cart and played through the map so I could see it in person so to speak.

Walking in the actual SNES version I examined the exact texture alignment.   Examined the geometry in the SNES automap.   Checked my geometry and vertices matching on latitudes against that web page map and screenshots of SNES automap.  Viewed youtube videos of medium and hard and kept rewinding to get the enemy placement as exact as possible.   Loaded up the Japanese rom which lets you play E2 on easy and its enemy placement was same as medium within the secret exit room (Tried to do that with Game Genie with my actual cart but my contacts need cleaning for it to work).   Seems the web page map isn't totally accurate and I made sure I matched closer to SNES automap though SNES seems to have display distortion (especially when looking at wall textures!).   SNES doesn't have browngrn and uses brown1.   I kept it consistent with browngrn instead of using brown1.

snese2m2.jpg

You're in the wrong thread, this project is for cut maps from the PS1 Doom/Final Doom only + author exclusives and maybe some original maps from the mappers themselves.

Besides, @CoTeCiO is working on a project which aims to restore the PC versions of the first 3 episodes of Doom over to PSX Doom so the secret exit in E2M5 is restored.

I know this is about restoring PC levels to PSX.   This still may be of interest to someone due to the first thing I stated.   But since PSX normally has a secret exit added to Spawning Vats, is that one being chopped off?   And since E4M9 Fear is being restored, what's happening to Marshes?

Edited by Gokuma

We're not putting the cut maps in with the ones that are in the original PSX Doom/Final Doom, this is entirely separate. Did you even read the OP and Wiki page?

It was supposed we were going to put the cut maps in with the original ones but people participating in the project didn't like the idea...

Moreover, it is too late to demolish the foundation on which the project stands. Especially there was little confusion once because this project and the GZDoom specialized port (both from GEC) have the same name "Master Edition". Anyway, when the Master Edition is over and all the necessary tools are laid out, those who wish can start the compilation project, and not limit themselves to current restrictions.

Edited by riderr3

would also like to see that combination project also rebuild the jag doom levels to PSX doom 2/TFC/Final Doom conversion standards :p

5 hours ago, cybdmn said:

You know, that the Jaguar maps are the base for the PSX maps, didn't you?

Maybe Devalaous want to see the minor differences between PSX and Jag but ported in PSXDoom. You can see differences in both Halls of the Damned.

As I said before, @CoTeCiO already has a project in the works that restores the PC versions of Ultimate Doom's levels from episodes 1-3. He'll release it once the tools are out.

Yeah pretty much, the E4 levels onwards are all mostly the same layouts as PC, just with the height changes and texture changes, while the E1 levels are shockingly cut down. Always makes replaying the first part of PSX Doom a disappointment. Always wanted them to be rebuilt like the rest, if that happens, and they are added to the new levles here + the original set for a full set for PSX Doom 1 and 2, I'd be quite happy.

Thanks very much for these releases. It's amazing to me the people who work on these projects. It's a hobby, they're not getting paid, they do it because they love these games and they want other people to experience them in any which way they can.

I just tried the PSP version and it works nicely. I didn't have missing audio (maybe as I have PSX Doom eboot on my PSP already?) so I never used that plug-in but I would assume it works fine.

I like the New Hangar level. That was a nice surprise. I'll be playing this all weekend!

Thanks again.

PSXPSPDoom.jpg

OP is a little outdated now, here are a couple more vids.

This map has been optimized for a long time, and even such detailed ones can be adjusted to the PSX format according to the results.

The cyberdemon encounter here is probably most intensive of the remaining cases in the edition.