Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechaghostman2

Doom Annihilation was lame. What a disappointing movie. :/

Some thread necromancy, but it's on topic at least.

Watch partied this last night with some friends who are either loosely invested in Doom (have played original once) or not at all (no experience with doom).  Overall, I found it enjoyable if for nothing else than to make fun of it.  Whereas the 2005 movie really just felt like it had no redeeming qualities to me, this one at least tried and for the budget overall was... watchable!

That said, bring popcorn, take it about as seriously as a bad slasher, and laugh along at the inconsistencies.  I almost genuinely wish they do a sequel.

as i prolly said ealier (sorry, it's hard to re-read the topic now), Annihilation is a B-move, it knows that it is a B-Movie, and it is not ashamed of being a B-Movie. maybe people who expected something other are disappointed, but i am quite happy with what we got, and i really want a sequel.

1 hour ago, eargosedown said:

That said, bring popcorn, take it about as seriously as a bad slasher, and laugh along at the inconsistencies.

i bet that's what movie team was aiming at. ;-)

I thought DA was better than Doom from 2005. The movie from 2005 was just excruciatingly boring and generic and the worst thing for me about it is that it could have been and should have been so much more.

DA had its heart in the right place, the budget just held it back.

The 2005 film had everything going for it and it still couldn’t stick the landing. I respect DA a lot more for at least attempting to feel like a Doom product despite its hurdles.

On 10/9/2019 at 2:02 AM, Super Mighty G said:

Making a good movie is hard when you:

a) Have no budget

b) Are facing unmeetable expectations

Gman's review time stamped below summed it up imo. The fact that they stood to gain nothing from making it but still did it anyway speaks to their perseverance. 

Hah! Not in a million years will I watch his review.

It's unfair that the movie got panned by fans for having a female marine instead of the overrated Doom Slayer. It's said that the movie is closer to the games than the first movie, so come on guys. Give the film a chance.

I liked Doom Annihilation.  It was stupid and campy and it knew it and owned it.  And honestly, in retrospect I actually like the original Doom movie too, as long as I pretend it's not supposed to be a Doom movie.  To be honest, I think Doom fans would have loved the shit out of it if it wasn't marketed as a Doom movie, though.

Haven't seen it, I'm sure I'll enjoy parts of it. I might catch it on Netflix.

Regarding male or female character I like to think of it from a relateability point of view. The character should be as relateable as possible to it's intended audience, as well as pay respect to the original source. I think Doomguy should be a guy and if for no other reason than a marketing one - look at the Terminator-films doing away with all the "straight white males" - and then underperform. Well, I bet straight white males are their main demographic... They changed that and it may have been one of the reasons it did not perform well.

(now people will say Aliens, Terminator 2 - yada yada, and yes, they feature strong female protagonists. But that's not all they feature. Whereas this new film is pretty much all that)

It's not a big deal, but that's where I'd start if I wanted to make the film. That's also one of the reasons why horror films mostly feature female protagonists... Women are actually one of the biggest consumers of horrors and ghost stories.

But another reason why i don't think Doom will ever play well on the screen is the Doomguy himself. As a protagonist he's invincible. He's a killing machine. He's godlike. He succeeds alone where hundreds have failed together - no contest. He's got no flaws. What a boring protagonist...

8 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

It's unfair that the movie got panned by fans for having a female marine instead of the overrated Doom Slayer. It's said that the movie is closer to the games than the first movie, so come on guys. Give the film a chance.

There’s really nothing wrong with his review. The fact that the movie had a female marine wasn’t the reason the film got panned, even though changing the gender of the lead has no consequence at all, as Doomguy was a mute. It was the abysmal writing, the fact that it blatantly rips of aliens( yeah, I know Doom was almost an Aliens game) and does absolutely nothing interesting with its source material. The fact that it’s closer to the  games than the first film is a moot point. A bunch of random references to the games and one demon( technically two if you count the purple headed zombies) from the games doesn’t make an engrossing film. Giving a film merit for being “closer to the source material” doesn’t excuse the fact that it is a bad film, cheaply made by people with limited experience( the director directed Soccer dog: the movie and two direct to DVD death race films).

I’ll leave a link here for civvies review if you’re interested.Don’t really see what’s wrong with Gman’s reviews, anyway, but that’s my opinion 

3 hours ago, Silhou3tte said:

There’s really nothing wrong with his review. The fact that the movie had a female marine wasn’t the reason the film got panned, even though changing the gender of the lead has no consequence at all, as Doomguy was a mute. It was the abysmal writing, the fact that it blatantly rips of aliens( yeah, I know Doom was almost an Aliens game) and does absolutely nothing interesting with its source material. The fact that it’s closer to the  games than the first film is a moot point. A bunch of random references to the games and one demon( technically two if you count the purple headed zombies) from the games doesn’t make an engrossing film. Giving a film merit for being “closer to the source material” doesn’t excuse the fact that it is a bad film, cheaply made by people with limited experience( the director directed Soccer dog: the movie and two direct to DVD death race films).

I’ll leave a link here for civvies review if you’re interested.Don’t really see what’s wrong with Gman’s reviews, anyway, but that’s my opinion 

Terrible reviews for one thing.

I believe that the fans should be the ones to make a Doom movie.

6 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

How are these reviews terrible? They are objective and informative... are you talking about Gman or Civvie? Because both reviewers add flair to their reviews.

35 minutes ago, Silhou3tte said:

How are these reviews terrible? They are objective and informative... are you talking about Gman or Civvie? Because both reviewers add flair to their reviews.

Gman. Have you seen his reviews? His HDoom review was of him insulting people who play it. His Sigil review was just bad and unfair since it was of him blaming the mod for his own mistakes. Then there's the Unity Doom review, which has a lot of wrong information and he downgraded console players. The guy made the video private afterwards I believe.

Edited by The Strife Commando

13 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

Having watched Civvie's review, I've seen all that I will ever care to see. It's exactly the sort of low budget Syfy slasher garbage that I avoid as much as possible. The fact that the movie goes out of its way to reference its own source material all the time doesn't make its objective level of quality any better or worse in my mind. 

52 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

I enjoy Civvie's reviews. He's humorous, informative, and engaging. Hearing him talk about this movie was a lot more entertaining than the series of clips I watched. 

52 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

Implying that nobody who worked on this movie was a fan of Doom is silly, considering the movie kept going out of its way to crowbar as many Doom references as possible into its clunky narrative. But even if it didn't, I'm sure at least a few of the people who worked on this mess must have played a few of the games at some point in their lives. 

But besides that, there's plenty of Doom fan projects on Youtube. And besides even that, a feature-length Doom movie is not something the universe ever needed in the first place. 

edit: Oh, I see that you were talking about gman and not civvie. Yeah, fuck that guy. 

1 minute ago, Ajora said:

I enjoy Civvie's reviews. He's humorous, informative, and engaging. Hearing him talk about this movie was a lot more entertaining than the series of clips I watched. 

I didn't say Civvie's reviews were terrible, I meant Gmanlives'.

Just now, The Strife Commando said:

I didn't say Civvie's reviews were terrible, I meant Gmanlives'.

I know. See my edit. 

16 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

Gman. Have you seen his reviews? His HDoom review was of him insulting people who play it. His Sigil review was just bad and unfair. Then there's the Unity Doom review, and it was just awful. A lot of wrong information and downright downgrading console players.

I understand people have mixed feelings about some of his opinions. I do too(His dying light video) , and I don't want to turn this thread into another flurry of insults as a result of a Youtube content creator's opinions. His sigil video had some good points( the barons behind the door was cheap, and made artificially difficult due to level layout) as I played Sigil and had some mixed feelings about monster placements and the usage of certain monsters to make certain encounters and progression artificially difficult. But that's just my opinion and he has his own.

I'm not trying to change your opinion, just give my own thoughts on what made Annihilation a bad film. 

I haven't watch the movie yet but only video game adaptation movie I loved is DEAD SPACE: Falldown. I know it is an animated movie, if you already seen it but still the best out there. I recommend you to watch it, if your stomach is capable to.

6 minutes ago, Silhou3tte said:

I understand people have mixed feelings about some of his opinions. I do too(His dying light video) , and I don't want to turn this thread into another flurry of insults as a result of a Youtube content creator's opinions. His sigil video had some good points( the barons behind the door was cheap, and made artificially difficult due to level layout) as I played Sigil and had some mixed feelings about monster placements and the usage of certain monsters to make certain encounters and progression artificially difficult. But that's just my opinion and he has his own.

I'm not trying to change your opinion, just give my own thoughts on what made Annihilation a bad film. 

I edited my post.

I wonder why Sigil won the Cacoawards.

1 hour ago, The Strife Commando said:

I wonder why Sigil won the Cacoawards.

It didn't. It merely placed Runner-Up at the Cacaowards, making it officially not as good as Tech Gone Bad.

Spoiler

Please don't anyone take the above seriously.

Meh, I actually liked the first movie, although it didn't have the full story, I mean sure the imps, the pinky and the baron of hell appear. Maybe I liked it because of the first person view scene. But, eh... I see Annihilation as a bad attempt to "revive" the franchise. Well... both movies tried to do that now that I think 'bout it. My point is that a Doom movie doesn't have to be bad. It's just the lack of attention and seriousness* when making the films.

*Does that word even exist?

21 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

Not if they have no filmmaking skills. 

I like Annihilation.

Seen as a Doom Movie it is closer to Doom than the first one.

The first one was more like Resident Evil in Space.

Nice to see but storywise to far away from Doom, seems like it had to be more "grounded", as Hell is to abstract for normal Folks.

I mean, you don't have to write an Epic Drama with deep Charakters, just tell the Story in a good Way and get the Style correct.

I think if they had more Budged in Annihilation for more Demons, it would be a perfect nice Doom Movie.

So it feels like they made much right, but it only gets to E1M2 and stops than.

No Pinky, no Barons, no Mancubi.

I like all the References everywhere.

This is pretty much beating a dead horse good, but fine.

I saw it last year and it was meh. I could tell they tried to do something, but without the budget, it never had a chance. So it may have been a cynical cash grab for Universal, but the people working on it tried at least. I think people do give it way too much shit though.

As for fans doing stuff, I would be interested in that. If it reaches the level of some fan made HL stuff I enjoy, that is, such as Escape from City 17 and The Freeman Chronicles.

20 hours ago, seed said:

This is pretty much beating a dead horse good, but fine.

I saw it last year and it was meh. I could tell they tried to do something, but without the budget, it never had a chance. So it may have been a cynical cash grab for Universal, but the people working on it tried at least. I think people do give it way too much shit though.

As for fans doing stuff, I would be interested in that. If it reaches the level of some fan made HL stuff I enjoy, that is, such as Escape from City 17 and The Freeman Chronicles.

Star Wars has some phenomenal fan stuff as well- the more I think on it I’d love to see someone’s take on a DOOM fan film. I couldn’t imagine pulling the monsters off with zero budget though.

... You could possibly start with just the lowly zombie fodder in the beginning and build tension towards revealing some of the more fantastical stuff. The less is more approach would be the only way I could see it not looking ridiculous. 

14 minutes ago, CivilianM91 said:

Star Wars has some phenomenal fan stuff as well- the more I think on it I’d love to see someone’s take on a DOOM fan film. I couldn’t imagine pulling the monsters off with zero budget though.

... You could possibly start with just the lowly zombie fodder in the beginning and build tension towards revealing some of the more fantastical stuff. The less is more approach would be the only way I could see it not looking ridiculous. 

It would be doable I think, as animation or something similar, but live action? That will never work without the budget for it, it won't be believable, I don't think.

53 minutes ago, seed said:

It would be doable I think, as animation or something similar, but live action? That will never work without the budget for it, it won't be believable, I don't think.

You’re right. I thought of that LOZ fan film from like ten years ago Nintendo had scrubbed from the internet after I posted that-

It had a decent script and you can tell it was really a labor of love but that CGI was so laughable it stopped the film dead in its tracks.

Maybe CG animation. Something in the style of 2016’s “Fight Like Hell” trailer.

Lort, who dug up this fossil?

Anyhoo, Annihilation was fine I thought. Re: female main marine, I think the actress did a fantastic job with the role given and the plot didn't hinge on her being female, just a marine. Sure, it's cheesy and silly but as long as you know you're not in for a serious time you can have fun with it. Hell looked amazing too. Watch it with a couple of beers and go along for the ride.

We bemoan not having a serious Doom movie all the time, but honestly, do we need to have one? Many of the other game to film franchises (ie Resident Evil) have embraced the jank and gone on to do well because above all, they're supposed to be fun. Doom was never meant to be taken super seriously plot-wise (ffs, we're avenging a pet rabbit). 

18 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

Doom was never meant to be taken super seriously plot-wise (ffs, we're avenging a pet rabbit). 

And not even Doom 3 is as serious as some people like to give it credit for.

Sure, it was as horror as Doom ever went, but it was never dead serious.

yeah, i wonder what do people expect from the movie on the game that itself is really a B-movie. if anything, Doom Annihilation script is way better and deeper than Doom game script.

On 1/1/2021 at 1:25 PM, EvilNed said:

But another reason why i don't think Doom will ever play well on the screen is the Doomguy himself. As a protagonist he's invincible. He's a killing machine. He's godlike. He succeeds alone where hundreds have failed together - no contest. He's got no flaws. What a boring protagonist...

You are talking about post 2016 Doom Slayer. Original Doomguy and the Doom 3 protagonist are just regular marines.