Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM Bear

How do you play DooM? Keyboard only vs Keyboard + mouse vs controller

How do you play DooM?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. What do you usually use to play the original DooM’s these day’s?

• Keyboard only
    • Keyboard + mouse
    • Controller

I vividly remember playing it keyboard only back when I was a kid back in 1996, but I'm keyboard & mouse all the way now, baby.

Keyboard + mouse. I've given keyboard-only a spin on a few occasions, but I never played it consistently enough to really get used to it.

2 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

The bomb has been planted.

I meant that first of all I dont like mouselooking (Unless its MAP30 of Doom 2 because fuck it) and my PC is a laptop so clicking to shoot isn't really viable (Especially since I use WASD because my arrow keys are broken) and when I want to play Doom 2, I usually play my favorite version AKA the GBA version! Thus, no mouse.

18 minutes ago, Roebloz said:

I meant that first of all I dont like mouselooking (Unless its MAP30 of Doom 2 because fuck it) and my PC is a laptop so clicking to shoot isn't really viable (Especially since I use WASD because my arrow keys are broken) and when I want to play Doom 2, I usually play my favorite version AKA the GBA version! Thus, no mouse.

Mouse players say that you have to go right and left with mouse.

There is no looking up and down in Doom.

1 minute ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

There is no looking up and down in Doom.

GZDoom.

Just now, Can't play on Nightmare said:

You can also jump if you are into cheating.

Yeah and I'm not so I dont use mouselook or jumping.

Just now, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Mouse does left, right things in Doom.

Heres my setup:

W and S: Forward and Backward respectively

A and D: Turn right and left respectively

M: Shoot

Space: Open/Switch

K and L: Strafe

27 minutes ago, Roebloz said:

Heres my setup:

W and S: Forward and Backward respectively

A and D: Turn right and left respectively

M: Shoot

Space: Open/Switch

K and L: Strafe

Mine is:

For right hand:

UpArrow: Move Forward

DownArrow: Move Backward

LeftArrow: Turn Left

RightArrow: Turn Right

For left hand:

Space: Use/ Open

Ctrl: Fire

Shift: Run

I always play with my middle finger of my left hand on shift button. Thats the way I am used to since my childhood. Never take that finger of shift.

Ring finger of left hand clicks on ctrl for fire and thump of left hand clicks on space to open doors or buttons.

Edited by Can't play on Nightmare

I strongly suspect the myth that Doom was keyboard-only is perpetuated mostly by newcomers who weren't around in the early days and have just been misinformed much more recently.

A bit of a mystery where the myth came from, but it's clearly alive and well. The thing I find most interesting is that if you delete the default.cfg, the option it defaults to is keyboard + mouse. You didn't even need to do anything to choose this option.

6 hours ago, DooM Bear said:

Oh what’s!?! I never knew that and always thought it was “meant” to be played Keyboard only :-P Thanks for the info!

Yup. And here is the proof.

EDIT: Just realized that InDOOMnesia also posted the link to this topic.

I play using the keyboard only but only because I'm lazy as using just the keys allows me to sit with my wrists rested whereas using a mouse as well requires additional movement and I'm getting old and I'm becoming more indolent with age. Any of the elitists who say - "Doom is meant to be played without a mouse and using a mouse is cheating" are idiots. 

50 minutes ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

I play using the keyboard only but only because I'm lazy as using just the keys allows me to sit with my wrists rested whereas using a mouse as well requires additional movement and I'm getting old and I'm becoming more indolent with age. Any of the elitists who say - "Doom is meant to be played without a mouse and using a mouse is cheating" are idiots. 

I'm not even old and I can relate to this. It's scary how lazy I'm getting. :b

1 hour ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

Same for people who say Doom needs to be played with mouse.

Play Doom anyway you like.

There is also a fact that classic, fps games can also be played with keyboard only, meaning that mouse is not a MUST. For Doom 3 for instance, mouse is a MUST. For classic fps games such as Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, mouse is not a MUST. They can be played both ways.

If you wanna play with mouse, thats your way. I dont. And I wont. And being lazy has nothing to do. I use 6 fingers playing with keyboard only myself.

3 fingers for left hand, 3 fingers for right hand.

Edited by Can't play on Nightmare

7 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Same for people who say Doom needs to be played with mouse.

I don't believe anyone has said that one needs to play Doom with a mouse. I'm a diehard mouser (and a freelooker too!) and I'd never say anything so silly.

2 hours ago, Grazza said:

I strongly suspect the myth that Doom was keyboard-only is perpetuated mostly by newcomers who weren't around in the early days and have just been misinformed much more recently.

From what I've seen I think it's mostly people who played Doom casually in the 90's or who were young kids when Doom was new. Old action action games on PC were played with the keyboard so when they played Doom they never gave it a second thought. Now they believe mouse in FPS is something that started with games like HL or Q2.

Keyboard and mouse 99% of the time. I have played Doom 64 on emulator with the controller mapped out to something resembling the typical modern console FPS scheme, and that was rather effective.

Also tried playing Ultimate Doom on a Sound Voltex controller once (this thing). Knobs handled movement and turning, buttons covered the rest of the essentials. Actually worked pretty well up until that first level of Thy Flesh Consumed.

3 hours ago, Grazza said:

A bit of a mystery where the myth came from, but it's clearly alive and well. The thing I find most interesting is that if you delete the default.cfg, the option it defaults to is keyboard + mouse. You didn't even need to do anything to choose this option.

Don't forget, if you had Doom 95 on a Windows 2000/XP system in the early 2000s, the mouse would not work and there was no fix for it.  I suspect many people that weren't around for DOS Doom didn't realize this was a bug.

I've been playing Doom since Doom 2 came out for DOS. I've always used mouse + keyboard though I use WASD now instead of the arrow keys. On my Zandronum co-op servers I turn off vertical mouse look, jumping, and crouching. I only turn then on in Doom if a mod requires it.

I've tried keyboard only but I can't get used to it. I'm in awe of those that can do it like @TheV1perK1ller.

Edited by DOEL