Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dyshoria

doom myths or rumors?

In games like super mario 64 there are myth like luigi and many more in other games. Are there any myth related to doom? I havent heard any.

Swing shot was a common superstition in deathmatch communities that you dealt more damage with a shotgun or super shotgun if you were turning as you fired.

Not very people know the truth, but it just so happens that I know someone who knows someone who knows someone else. The public were lead to believe that the idea and design came from the brilliant minds of Carmack and Romero. Actually, the idea was presented to Romero one night. While he was playing billiards, an elf climbed in his window and told him to get money from the Rockefeller Foundation for Doom. Perhaps Romero only saw elves or Satan in his mind, Doom still got built.

I remember decades ago someone saw I had Doom 64 at the house (it was relatively new at this point) and said doesn’t Doom 64 have a dog enemy? Now, while it didn’t exist in the game, it was apparently at one point a concept for a new enemy and images have surfaced since then. Perhaps this person saw a preview image in a magazine that contained an image of the dog and assumed it was in the game, or, they may have been confusing Doom 64 with Quake or Quake 2, which do have dog enemies (well, dog-like for QII that is). 

This isn’t so much a rumor as it is something that was done because people didn’t know any better. Before it was common knowledge that you could screw with joyb_speed to enable auto-run, many people would re-map the run key to right control, and remove the right ctrl + right shift keys, place a nickel there and put the keys back. If done correctly, the control key will be permanently pressed down, however, if done wrong it would either just not work, or you’d have a broken keyboard. Personally, I used a stapler and jury-rigged it to where it would keep the run key pressed down, then when I didn’t need it to I could just remove the stapler. 

2 hours ago, Dyshoria software said:

In games like super mario 64 there are myth like luigi and many more in other games. Are there any myth related to doom? I havent heard any.

I wasn't aware that Luigi is a myth...

I heard ID Software added Commander Keen and Wolf3D SSes in Doom II.

There's a myth that Doom was never intended to have multiplayer.

Now, whether or not Doom's levels were designed for multiplayer is another matter entirely, but Doom's multiplayer starts all around the levels prove that as far back as 1993, Doom was always meant to have multiplayer.

3 hours ago, 7Mahonin said:

I remember decades ago someone saw I had Doom 64 at the house (it was relatively new at this point) and said doesn’t Doom 64 have a dog enemy? Now, while it didn’t exist in the game, it was apparently at one point a concept for a new enemy and images have surfaced since then. Perhaps this person saw a preview image in a magazine that contained an image of the dog and assumed it was in the game, or, they may have been confusing Doom 64 with Quake or Quake 2, which do have dog enemies (well, dog-like for QII that is).

Probably getting mixed with Wolfenstein 3D.

There was an old (and surprisingly prevalent) rumour that one of the hanging corpses in the game was taken from a photo of Mussolini. I think @Doomkid might have tracked down the actual source (not Mussolini or any real dead person), but don't quote me on that.

Supposely Doom's walking animation was modelled after Carmack's copious amount of drinking to simulate how a drunk person walks.

It makes sense. Nobody would swing his hands 90 degrees to the left and right in a rhythmic motion.

Spoiler

jk.

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

Supposely Doom's walking animation was modelled after Carmack's copious amount of drinking to simulate how a drunk person walks.

It makes sense. Nobody would swing his hands 90 degrees to the left and right in a rhythmic motion.

Reveal hidden contents

jk.

lmao

9 hours ago, Gez said:

Swing shot was a common superstition in deathmatch communities that you dealt more damage with a shotgun or super shotgun if you were turning as you fired.

To add some detail, this was pretty much limited to ZDaemon, circa 2005-2009 give or take. I think what was happening is that people were hitting the opponent diagonally, which both results in a wider overall surface for the pellets to hit, and less pellets being lost to the stupid blockmap bug.

I can't think of the others offhand, but there were some really stupid myths people made up about how MP Doom "works" to justify their less-than-stellar playing, lmao. I do remember someone on ZDaemon a couple years back saying the higher your ping is the easier you have it - which is blatantly false - but that was less "myth" and more "clear excuse making in the moment".

8 hours ago, 7Mahonin said:

Before it was common knowledge that you could screw with joyb_speed to enable auto-run, many people would re-map the run key to right control, and remove the right ctrl + right shift keys, place a nickel there and put the keys back. If done correctly, the control key will be permanently pressed down, however, if done wrong it would either just not work, or you’d have a broken keyboard. Personally, I used a stapler and jury-rigged it to where it would keep the run key pressed down, then when I didn’t need it to I could just remove the stapler. 

This brings back memories of reading "tips for holding down the shift key" and other similar blurbs on really old Doom websites.. Only the most hardcore multiplayer Doomers seemed to know about it in the mid 90s!

3 hours ago, Sena said:

There was an old (and surprisingly prevalent) rumour that one of the hanging corpses in the game was taken from a photo of Mussolini. I think @Doomkid might have tracked down the actual source (not Mussolini or any real dead person), but don't quote me on that.

I always found it strange just how prevalent this one was. I think some people out there were just desperate for there to be "real gore" in Doom. With all the little pieces of evidence and the types of things id used as a basis for sprites (mostly models and toys), a GI Joe figure makes a lot more sense, not to mention the clearly visible "circular hand grip" present in one of the wall textures.

You managed to reminded me of another one - Eric Harris supposedly making Columbine High School in Doom. Seeing as a lot of people, especially those who aren't that familiar with the game, associate Doom with its violent content and a school shooting, I can see why a theory about the game supposedly using real life gore would take off, but at the end of the day it's still a fabrication.

Oh god, not the dreaded "Harris totally made a Columbine wad" myth!

I guess there's just some inherent historical draw and fascination there, it's like the old "you can't look away from a car accident" thing, combined with trying to look into the mind of a murderer.

In the text files of his various wads, you can find lots of "SUCK IT DOWN!! KILL EM ALL!!" type shit, which granted is a little over the top compared to the average wad textfile from 1994-1998, but not by much. There's plenty of other Doom texts from that era with the exact same level of OTT 90s edginess.

..Not to mention, a ton of Doom mappers made (and continue to make) their schools, workplaces, and homes/neighborhoods in Doom. I've done all of those, multiple times. In 2016 on a particularly slow day I recreated the office I was working at then. Some of my coworkers found it amusing, and that was the beginning, middle and end of it. Did the same thing with a grocery store I worked at in 2013. I found a 1994 wad recently called RAMPAGE that is once again the same idea, but the guy writing the text did get a little more edgy with it:

Here's a nice, complete reconstruction of the office where I work here in San Francisco. Now when I get mad I don't have to just sit around and steam until I finally snap and go on a real rampage -- I can do it at home! And so can you! Just pretend your co-workers and friends have been turned into evil creatures and it's easier to open up on 'em! Anyway, this wad is here so you can vent your frustration in an air-conditioned and target-rich environment. It's especially good for deathmatch , with lotsa nooks and crannies for your point-blank shotgun dueling enjoyment. I won't tell you where this office is because I wouldn't feel safe knowing that there will be a lot of people out there who can wipe the place out in their sleep! Enjoy!

To me, this is obviously being said tongue-in-cheek. It might be unnerving to some in the modern era, but.. in 1994 mass shootings didn't happen every 5 minutes, so it was just some "dark" humor, nothing more to read into beyond that.

What I'm driving at here is, I often see people talking about Harris' "obvious bloodlust" in his textfiles as a warning sign, not to mention that "totally real" Columbine map that he made (even though he didn't). 

I don't like that attitude, because I've said some dumb "Kill a few to save many!!" type shit in wads where you were shooting human UAC marines rather than zombies, not to mention my multiple recreations of real-life workplaces. It's not a "tell" for someone to make that kinda stuff in Doom, I don't like when people assume it is.

5 hours ago, Lewonx said:

That Doom is 2D.

I despise Game Theory for making this claim and have absolutely everyone on the internet parroting off what they said and thinking it as the truth. borogk and Doomkid thankfully debunked it yet some people refuse to listen.

Japanese release of saturn doom is faster than other release

because someone compared to PAL version (japan is NTSC area)

what a ridiculous

22 hours ago, Doomkid said:

What I'm driving at here is, I often see people talking about Harris' "obvious bloodlust" in his textfiles as a warning sign, not to mention that "totally real" Columbine map that he made (even though he didn't). 

I know, right?

Like, I find it really cool to try to recreate real places in Doom, and I kind of miss the charm of those old 90's WADs that built a level around it. It would've been a cool challenge.

I remember 2 years ago I was trying to get signatures for a deathmatch for my school and started to make a level for it and... well... uh...

Thankfully the deathmatch was not able to start and had to be cancelled due to the Corona.

I did not have anywhere near enough ill will towards people at school, I just wanted a fun deathmatch session for people to play in at the school(as in using the computers).

I don't think anybody would be able to recognise the place anyway due to the limitations of Boom(which was the source port I made the map for), as well as the heavy creative liberties I took because I didn't bother to go full Trinity.wad.