Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
magicsofa

'95 Never Dies CP [Full!]

On 9/9/2023 at 6:47 PM, Walter confetti said:

Finished the layout of my map, I've thought to share it with you to see if this goes good with this project, otherwise i'll see to move it in another place.

95-wa-teaser.zip

Hmm? No problems with this layout, pretty cramped but I think it will make for a good gauntlet, although that one Y-shaped hallway looked like it would really hang players up in vanilla (I didn't actually test it in game though). It doesn't look like it will be too long either, which is a good thing (assuming you don't fill it with barons).

On 9/5/2023 at 7:06 AM, lokbustam257 said:

@magicsofa the current neverdie archive still has the old rusty E2M9 from the previous previous project, just wanna let you know that.

Christ on a cracker, I must have had two instances open or something... fixed I hope

On 9/7/2023 at 12:01 PM, Yumheart said:

- fixed the lowering platform at the end (the issue was actually a walk-over line in the middle of the platform that was supposed to lower)

Still borked:

Spoiler

DOOM27.png.cec87de3859b717e6e34bc9446a34c0b.png 

What port are you testing with? The reason it doesn't lower at all in vanilla is because the linedefs are facing the wrong way... all of the lines need to face inward, except for the one that has the action. Otherwise (I'm pretty sure) it ends up counting itself as an adjacent sector. Flipping the appropriate lines fixes it:

DOOM28.png.378b3a3080158079d6dc24edc5440ea8.png

E4M2fix.zip (I put this edit into the main archive as well)

The BFG room is possible to jump into through the window and skip all the keys. Was that intentional? Also, the monster density should be heavily reduced for HMP and lower. Remember, HMP, HNTR, and UV all share the exact same gameplay - the only difference is in the actor flags.

E3M3 has a similar issue... it's pushing into micro-slaughter even for UV. Also the spider mastermind should not be used since it will likely be the boss of E3. Also the pit of water in the lava+tech room is inescapable and not hurty?

On 9/11/2023 at 8:10 PM, LGmaire said:

@magicsofa hey, I haven't been really working on my E1M7 at all recently and honestly I don't really want to work on it anymore, so I would like to drop this slot and let someone else take it instead, pretty please. :)

No problem. If you have a draft, and wouldn't mind having myself or someone else finish it, feel free to upload it... never hurts to have sideboard material!

On 9/6/2023 at 10:01 AM, Michael Jensen said:

New version that adresses most of the issues above, plus some other changes. 

Deimos Command (E2M5) v2.zip

What a trip... I love how unapologetically E2 this map is. I spent a while looking for the blue key and then stumbled into the exit. Found this tutti frutti:

DOOM30.png.a2664b4873990ca7ad19341dcd968b94.png

Updated the main archive:

neverdie.zip

I'll have a shot at E1M7, this project looks awesome and I've been mapping purely in vanilla for a while now. Is there a specific deadline, or is it done when it's done? 

7 hours ago, magicsofa said:

If you have a draft, and wouldn't mind having myself or someone else finish it, feel free to upload it... never hurts to have sideboard material!

Sure, here you go:

95e1m7.zip

It's like, mostly unfinished in a bunch of areas but most of the layout is still there, if @Somniac wants to use this as a base or just for inspiration (or really anything), I don't mind, if he doesn't want to do anything with it though that's okay too.

1 hour ago, Somniac said:

Is there a specific deadline, or is it done when it's done? 

Last time I checked, the deadline for this project is somewhere in the middle or the end of December... I could be wrong though.

7 hours ago, magicsofa said:

Hmm? No problems with this layout, pretty cramped but I think it will make for a good gauntlet, although that one Y-shaped hallway looked like it would really hang players up in vanilla (I didn't actually test it in game though). It doesn't look like it will be too long either, which is a good thing (assuming you don't fill it with barons).

Christ on a cracker, I must have had two instances open or something... fixed I hope

Still borked:

Reveal hidden contents

DOOM27.png.cec87de3859b717e6e34bc9446a34c0b.png 

What port are you testing with? The reason it doesn't lower at all in vanilla is because the linedefs are facing the wrong way... all of the lines need to face inward, except for the one that has the action. Otherwise (I'm pretty sure) it ends up counting itself as an adjacent sector. Flipping the appropriate lines fixes it:

DOOM28.png.378b3a3080158079d6dc24edc5440ea8.png

E4M2fix.zip (I put this edit into the main archive as well)

The BFG room is possible to jump into through the window and skip all the keys. Was that intentional? Also, the monster density should be heavily reduced for HMP and lower. Remember, HMP, HNTR, and UV all share the exact same gameplay - the only difference is in the actor flags.

E3M3 has a similar issue... it's pushing into micro-slaughter even for UV. Also the spider mastermind should not be used since it will likely be the boss of E3. Also the pit of water in the lava+tech room is inescapable and not hurty?

No problem. If you have a draft, and wouldn't mind having myself or someone else finish it, feel free to upload it... never hurts to have sideboard material!

What a trip... I love how unapologetically E2 this map is. I spent a while looking for the blue key and then stumbled into the exit. Found this tutti frutti:

DOOM30.png.a2664b4873990ca7ad19341dcd968b94.png

Updated the main archive:

neverdie.zip

WOOD5 or METAL may look a bit better here than MIDGRATE.

On 9/14/2023 at 6:44 AM, pcorf said:

WOOD5 or METAL may look a bit better here than MIDGRATE.

I like the diamonds. This also could be that one door texture that is 96 pixels tall, so @Michael Jensen you would have to separate this into two pieces to avoid the bug.

On 9/14/2023 at 5:30 AM, Somniac said:

I'll have a shot at E1M7, this project looks awesome and I've been mapping purely in vanilla for a while now. Is there a specific deadline, or is it done when it's done? 

Deadline is Dec 10!

On 9/14/2023 at 6:37 AM, LGmaire said:

Sure, here you go:

95e1m7.zip

It's like, mostly unfinished in a bunch of areas but most of the layout is still there, if @Somniac wants to use this as a base or just for inspiration (or really anything), I don't mind, if he doesn't want to do anything with it though that's okay too.

This is a nice map! I'll definitely keep it on the sideboard for now if that's ok with you...

On 9/14/2023 at 3:37 AM, LGmaire said:

Sure, here you go:

95e1m7.zip

Last time I checked, the deadline for this project is somewhere in the middle or the end of December... I could be wrong though.

I hope you don't mind me taking a look at your map, i like the layout of the map and you said it's unfinished? What is left to do?

Also i'm just looking since i'm doing my own project but i was curious on your E1M7 map. 

On 9/14/2023 at 11:37 AM, LGmaire said:

Sure, here you go:

95e1m7.zip

This is a nice layout, I've been tweaking a couple of parts of it that I really liked and I'm gonna see where that goes. I might still try doing it from scratch, but if your parts end up in the submission then you should be credited for it as well. I thought this area was really cool so I've been detailing it up a bit:

Spoiler

DOOM0028.png

2 hours ago, magicsofa said:

Deadline is Dec 10!

Cool, I already have a head start so that should be ample time. I should have something more to show for myself in a couple of weeks!

2 hours ago, magicsofa said:

This is a nice map! I'll definitely keep it on the sideboard for now if that's ok with you...

It's all good! I don't have any issues.

2 hours ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

I hope you don't mind me taking a look at your map, i like the layout of the map and you said it's unfinished? What is left to do?

Also i'm just looking since i'm doing my own project but i was curious on your E1M7 map. 

I don't really mind, at this point I haven't done work on this for so long I kinda forgot what I wanted to do.

What seems to be unfinished is the areas in the lower left corner of the map, and I'm pretty sure I wanted to make the red key a secret? so I think I wanted to make a secret fight for that. I think there's also a path at the top left corner of the map that I wanted to do too, but honestly I'd rather just not do that.

What made you curious about this map? I'm actually curious about that more than anything.

Also you're doing your own UD project? If so then, good luck on that.

6 minutes ago, Somniac said:

This is a nice layout, I've been tweaking a couple of parts of it that I really liked and I'm gonna see where that goes. I might still try doing it from scratch, but if your parts end up in the submission then you should be credited for it as well. I thought this area was really cool so I've been detailing that up a bit:

Okay, holy shit that looks really good. I never thought someone like you would touch up my stuff to make it look so good!

I really do appreciate this, thanks! I'm very glad this map will at least be finished and submitted in some way. I'm really excited to see how this map goes!

17 minutes ago, LGmaire said:

What made you curious about this map? I'm actually curious about that more than anything.

Also you're doing your own UD project? If so then, good luck on that.

Because i like looking at other people's mapping style and see what i can use as inspiration. I have a rule of thumb when mapping: If you like someone's style / way they made a area i.e setting up a trap or making a secret with a pop up monster, figure out how you can incorporate that in your own map. Never copy and paste someone else's map because that's being lazy and stealing someone's work calming it as your own.

So i wanted to take a look and see how your map was made, like i said i like the layout of it, feels very 90's.

And yes i am doing a UD solo project i will not say it here but i'm currently doing episode 3 right now but i'm taking breaks so i don't get major burn out from mapping.

Making good progress on E1M7:

DOOM0038.png
DOOM0039.png

Took these screenshots in Crispy but its all being tested in CRL. The larger outside area skirts the visplane limit a bit, but no overflows.

@Somniac looking really nice and thanks for picking up the torch!

Alright so that's 25 maps that at least have a draft! Now that we're nearly in Q4 it would be great to get the rest of the maps in as soon as possible, even if they are incomplete. In fact, revisions are to be expected so it is actually better to submit a draft rather than a "finished" product. The following people should aim to upload something in the next week or so, I know some of these people signed up pretty recently so it's no problem if you just have a layout or one room or whatever:

E1M4: @mr-around

E1M8: @Azuris

E1M9: @taufan99

E2M3:  @DavidN

E2M7:  @spineapple tea

E2M8:  @Yumheart

E3M1:  @Worriedidiot

E3M4:  @Use

E4M1: @Andrea Rovenski

E4M9: @signaturereverie

1 hour ago, Worriedidiot said:

I don't wanna admit this but I haven't even really properly started a new map... so uhhh I guess you could keep the old one I made :p

That's ok, but if you don't want to keep working on it then unfortunately I would be freeing up the slot since the old version is too similar to the original E3M1. So it's up to you if you want to keep the slot, I'm not giving a hard deadline or anything, just reminding everyone that there's less than 2 months left :) 

On 9/22/2023 at 9:46 PM, magicsofa said:

Now that we're nearly in Q4 it would be great to get the rest of the maps in as soon as possible, even if they are incomplete. In fact, revisions are to be expected so it is actually better to submit a draft rather than a "finished" product.

Here's my current draft (of course very much WIP). I admit I'm kinda ashamed to not have made any more progress so far, but I plan on eventually finishing it before December 10, as has been agreed upon for all other mappers.

Slot: E1M9

Music: Invasive Sludge from @Doomkid's music for losing blood MIDI album

Edited by taufan99

I could take another map if someone opens a slot. I find I can work decently quickly with more constraints than not.

14 hours ago, magicsofa said:

That's ok, but if you don't want to keep working on it then unfortunately I would be freeing up the slot since the old version is too similar to the original E3M1

I'm fine with that. I made that map when I was still a beginner so it's not something I'm proud of.

Anyways, knowing my schedule I definitely won't be making another map so it'd be best to free that spot up.

11 hours ago, magicsofa said:

Now that we're nearly in Q4 it would be great to get the rest of the maps in as soon as possible, even if they are incomplete. In fact, revisions are to be expected so it is actually better to submit a draft rather than a "finished" product. The following people should aim to upload something in the next week or so,

id say my map is 70-80% done ? unless i come up with something new and ridiculous, but even then i am reasonably certain it should be done comfortably before the deadline

E4M9.zip

9 hours ago, Worriedidiot said:

I'm fine with that. I made that map when I was still a beginner so it's not something I'm proud of.

Anyways, knowing my schedule I definitely won't be making another map so it'd be best to free that spot up.

I can take over E3M1 then if that's the case. I already got some ideas to spice it up.

I completed a first playable version of my E3M5!

95-wa-v1.zip

Title: Profane Masoleum

Author: Walter

Slot: E3M5

Difficulty settings: Yes

Multiplayer: Coop starts only, untested

Tested with: CRL 1.5/1.6, doom.exe v1.9 with DosBox

Description: More Sigil-like than it's original inspirator (oh well, actually that map can be considered a Sigil prototype, with all those satanic scribbles on walls), is a cavernous hell outpost with a sort of maze-y progression and lots of creepy scribbles, also it's more cramped than original.

Hope everything will be ok there, have fun and i wait to read your feedback about this, it's good, bad, i have to stop mapping once and for all? let me know and have fun!

I didn't added a new music track, i found that goes perfectly with the stock one.

Edited by Walter confetti

Alright here's V1 of E3M1
Tested with ChocDoom

I'll keep the original title (hell keep). I took inspiration from both the base map, the original title and the intermission design. Primarily i often though the intermission screen design for hell keep looked a lot cooler than the map actually was, and the map didn't really look like it at all and wanted to aim for that. Secondly i took some design cues from the base map like the lowering bridge, the hunt for the shotgun, and possibly having to deal or avoid bigger threats until better armament was located. This map plays slightly like a resource limited map. For this the monsters and paths are designed to quickly funnel the player into finding the shotgun and then the RL. 

Hopefully the scope and the design works well. I wanted to make something a lot more interesting than the original map since frankly E3M1 is awfully basic and bad (mainly the pinky tunnel being crap) compared to the other E3 maps. I appreciate any and all feedback.

On 9/24/2023 at 2:32 PM, Walter confetti said:

I completed a first playable version of my E3M5!

95-wa-v1.zip

Title: Profane Masoleum

Author: Walter

Slot: E3M5

Difficulty settings: Yes

Multiplayer: Coop starts only, untested

Tested with: CRL 1.5/1.6, doom.exe v1.9 with DosBox

Description: More Sigil-like than it's original inspirator (oh well, actually that map can be considered a Sigil prototype, with all those satanic scribbles on walls), is a cavernous hell outpost with a sort of maze-y progression and lots of creepy scribbles, also it's more cramped than original.

Hope everything will be ok there, have fun and i wait to read your feedback about this, it's good, bad, i have to stop mapping once and for all? let me know and have fun!

I didn't added a new music track, i found that goes perfectly with the stock one.

Very lovely map, definitely captured the vibe of an underground catacomb. Combat felt well balanced for the close quarters and flow was good, not too confusing. MIDI was well fitting and detailing was tasteful for the limits. Not many huge complaints, the beginning was a bit rough without a shotgun and somewhat wish there was an easier way to get one than to run into the crypt and mug a sergeant for one. Ammo balance was good, ended the map with a surplus of 40 shells however. Most were from sergeants, not sure if you would want to tone down the available shells but figured i'd mention. I was also able to accidentally shoot the wall of the SIGIL eye alcove (linedef 1051) but not the bridge trigger (1062) which locked me out of the nice backtracking bridge. Might make sense to put another line on the inside of sector 180 with the first trigger rather than the outside ledge so the player is less likely to accidentally softlock that feature.

On 9/22/2023 at 7:51 PM, taufan99 said:

Here's my current draft (of course very much WIP). I admit I'm kinda ashamed to not have made any more progress so far, but I plan on eventually finishing it before December 10, as has been agreed upon for all other mappers.

Slot: E1M9

Music: Invasive Sludge from @Doomkid's music for losing blood MIDI album

Not a ton to comment on here obviously but I like what I'm seeing so far... great music choice as well. I enjoy the oddly-sized areas, random combat, and outrageously steep stairs.

On 9/28/2023 at 9:27 PM, DFF said:

Alright here's V1 of E3M1

Nice ball-buster... the starvation aspect is done well, there is quite a lot of health around so you can make a few mistakes and recover (I got surrounded by pinkies for the longest time and somehow made it out thanks to a helpful caco and nearby medkit). There were some places that might be seen as slightly irksome... for example the lift out of the demon pit (if you fail to run across the sinking stairs) seems to require you to step off to the left before you can progress. Not sure if that was intentional but I felt it was unnecessary after being stuck with the pinkies. I also got blocked by monsters below when trying to jump across the posts after the spiral staircase... although that lead me to the chainsaw secret :)

I think the doors that open via remote trigger should have a different (non-door) texture, so that players don't waste time pressing them. Anyway great map!

On 9/29/2023 at 4:56 PM, Walter confetti said:

version 2 of my map, fixed the bugs DFF found.

95-wa-v2.zip

Quality stuff. Sort of lured me into a false sense of security thinking I was overstocked on ammo, then the heat turned up nicely. Although...I'm tired and playing sloppy. The rocket launcher is great here because of how crammed a lot of the areas are, forcing you to recalculate the risk of firing a rocket frequently. Chaingun takes the heat off considerably. The sniping imps in the room with cracked floor have trouble shooting out of their pillbox if you stand on the lower side... might help if they were up a little higher?

Here's the latest archive:

neverdie.zip

Figured I should show how E1M7 is going, as its been a few weeks:

95e1m7.png

Shaping up pretty well (thank you @LGmaire for letting me butcher your map! hehe), probably about 3/4 done now. Trying to squeeze as much detail out of certain areas while keeping the visplanes around 100 in the playable space is a fun challenge IMO. Should be ready to submit a finished draft before the end of the month.

5 minutes ago, Somniac said:

Shaping up pretty well (thank you @LGmaire for letting me butcher your map! hehe), probably about 3/4 done now. Trying to squeeze as much detail out of certain areas while keeping the visplanes around 100 in the playable space is a fun challenge IMO. Should be ready to submit a finished draft before the end of the month.

You can push it right up to 120+ if you are careful. Basically as long as you account for all moving sectors and changing light levels, you can be fairly confident that the game won't crash within a margin of about 1-2 planes. Just have to spend some time jumping around and mashing the "last highest" button in chocorenderlimits to be sure :)

21 minutes ago, Somniac said:

Figured I should show how E1M7 is going, as its been a few weeks:

95e1m7.png

(thank you @LGmaire for letting me butcher your map! hehe)

No problem! Looks amazing just from this screenshot alone. Keep it up!!

Happy November folks... welcome to crunch time! The good news is, we have 28 submissions! The bad, E1M6 and E2M3 are being dropped! Although that's actually good news if you're feeling mappy :P (@The Kingslayer interested?)