Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
P_A_Z

What are your 10 favorite albums (or more if you want) ?

I mostly listen to latinamerican rock/folk, soul and psych rock.

Virus - Superficies de placer

Charly García - Unplugged

Magma - Attahk

Gal Costa - First Album 

Eduardo Mateo - Solo bien se lame

Honorable mentions

Parliament - Chocolate City

Sly and the family stone - Stand

Happy Mondays - Squirrel and G-Man Twenty Four Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)

Neil Young - Tonight is the night

Actress - Ghettoville
Brian Eno - Another Green World
Broadcast - Tender Buttons
David Bowie - Low
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!

In no particular order, but I'm more likely to change the rest of my personality than to make any big changes to this list.

1: Demon Days (gorillaz)

2: The New Abnormal (the strokes)

3: OK computer (raidiohead)

4: plastic beach (gorillaz)

5: good & evil (tally hall)

6: sofarinrunning (raccoon tour)

Edited by aimshows

2 hours ago, EPICALLL said:

Queen - Innuendo (1991) [admittedly mainly because of it's flagship song; "The Show Must Go On"]

My dude. When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary doesn't come to me. Father Freddie does, with that song. Just thinking of those opening chords sends tingles up my arms. As you likely know, when he recorded that song he was in so much pain he could barely stand, and yet he still managed that vocal. Beyond legendary.

As for the question posed by the this thread, I honestly could spend hours thinking about it and still not come up with a list I would probably not tweak further an hour later. I try not to play favourites these days. There's just too much great stuff.

Just now, Murdoch said:

My dude. When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary doesn't come to me. Father Freddie does, with that song. Just thinking of those opening chords sends tingles up my arms. As you likely know, when he recorded that song he was in so much pain he could barely stand, and yet he still managed that vocal. Beyond legendary.

I'm so glad there's someone else out there who appreciates this absolute gem as much as I do.

1. Kamelot - The Black Halo

2. Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death

3.  The Who - Quadrophenia

4. Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls

5. Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet

38 minutes ago, Eon Toad said:

Kamelot - The Black Halo

Great album. "The Haunting"... *chef's kiss*

1. m b v - my bloody valentine

Probably surprising that Loveless isn't here but I just vibe with this so much. It's like a deep cut album that gets better with every listen. "New You" and "Who Sees You" are absolutely beautiful walls of noise, especially the latter.

2. By The Time I Get To Phoenix - Injury Reserve

Absolutely tragic circumstances around this one, since one of the members died during its creation, but this is in my opinion the best album of the new decade. Absolutely face-melting production and lyricism. "Knees" is the only song that can make cry, full stop. R.I.P. Groggs

3. The Seer - Swans

The most savage and primal-sounding album I've ever heard. 2 hours of utter madness, spiraling down into the depths of hell. "Apostate is the best post-rock track ever made, IMO.

4. Mezzanine - Massive Attack

Never have industrial and trip-hop mingled so well. You probably already know this one, though. "Angel" is the greatest opening track on any album.

5. Perdition City - Ulver

Absolutely gorgeous melting-pot of trip-hop, industrial, and jazz. How is this shit possible from a band known for death metal?

Edited by Ludi

1. Kate Bush - Never For Ever

2. The Who - Quadrophenia

3. Faith No More - Angel Dust

4. Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin

5. King Crimson - Red

Edited by LadyMistDragon

10 hours ago, esselfortium said:

Guided By Voices - Half Smiles of the Decomposed

Smh no Alien Lanes :p

5 hours ago, dew said:

Portishead - Dummy

Highly recommend the self-titled album and Roseland NYC Live, especially the latter. Absolutely sublime.

9 hours ago, Gregor said:

3. The Beatles - White Album (1968)

The White Album is my favorite for sure. I'm So Tired is my favorite Beatles deep cut.

7 hours ago, yakfak said:

this heat "deceit"

art bears "world as it is today"

front 242 "front by front"

magma "kohntarkosz"

parliament "funkentelechy vs. the placebo syndrome"

my terrible 70s/80s centric taste

It's a travesty no one else has mentioned Deceit. Paper Hats is such a harrowing fucking song.

I'm seeing some Zappa, so I figured I'd state that Weasels Ripped My Flesh takes my top pick in his discog.

Edited by Ludi

Off the top of my head (my list is constantly changing):

1. Alice in chains-Dirt 

2. Pantera-Far Beyond Driven

3. Black Sabbath-Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

4. Type O Negative-Bloody Kisses

5. Soundgarden-BadMotorFinger 

Before I got sick music was more than just a pastime for me. It was a way of life, a driving force and an integral piece of my internal soul. Music enriches and brings meaning to my life. It also helps me feel deep emotions and envision a different life outside my own. For me choosing only 5 albums is very hard. It's like asking a mother to choose who her favorite child is.

I started listening to music in my teenage years to where my preferred genera was Post-Grunge Alternative. I have branched out since then. I can only give you suggestions for some really great albums, not what I think is the best of the best. Here are a few suggestions of underrated and/or lesser-known albums from the 90's that I think that anyone should listen to.

1Eve6.jpg.4f0ecebec410d5a0c75e25e4199472b5.jpg Eve 6: Eve 6

The first album that I ever bought. The song "Inside Out" was rather disliked in my small town and my family. Notable tracks include; 

a. How Much Longer & b. Inside Out

2. BlackLab.jpg.ea27f469e841411e98494479b9ca2320.jpgBlack Lab: Your Body Above Me

This lesser-known album has some great songs. After the song "Time Ago" starts the rest of the album's songs are un-skippable. Notable songs include; a. Time Ago & b. Gates of the Country

3. M20.jpg.22e3ec0fdce56a2e53a45e65539b3767.jpg Matchbox 20: Yourself or Someone Like You

Their debut album and in my opinion their best. The song that got me into the band was "Push". Notable songs include; a. Real World, b. 3AM c. Push & d. Back 2 Good

4. 3EB.jpg.4daa342ebc3bdca2a7e933334469a54a.jpg Third Eye Blind: 3EB

Another debut album that in my opinion is their best. The song "How's It Going to Be" was featured on "Dawson's Creek" but never credited. Notable songs include; a. Losing a Whole Year, b. Narcolepsy, c. Semi-Charmed Life, c. Jumper, & d. How's It Going to Be

5. NewRadicalsMYBBT.jpg.1abdb8488341902275713b33ddc51e4a.jpg New Radicals: Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too

Their only album, but it is a great album regardless. Eight songs on this album are gold to my ears. Notable songs include; a. You Get What You Give b. I Don't Wanna Die Anymore c. Jehovah Made This Whole Joint for You d. Someday We'll Know e. In Need of a Miracle f. Gotta Stay High g. Flowers & h. Crying Like a Church on Monday

I will give you more suggestions later. These are just the tip of the iceberg.

Five is not enough!

Another Green World* - Brian Eno

The Division Bell** - Pink Floyd

How I Loved You - Angels of Light

Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School*** - Warren Zevon

Greatest Stories Live - Harry Chapin

To engage with above posts a bit: I had a long stretch where I loved Porcupine Tree and SW above pretty much all these, but they sort of faded into the periphery - not sure why. I do tend to listen to the same stuff until I can hear it without putting it on, so maybe I'm just on a PT/SW hiatus at the moment. My favorite PT album is probably Deadwing for the pure amount of time I spent with it, and my favorite Wilson solo record pinballs between Grace for Drowning and The Raven That Refused to Sing. I really like music, and talking about music. Thanks for making this thread @P_A_Z.

*or Before and After Science or Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks

**Animals is a better album and I've probably listened to it more, but DB is more important to me

*** or Sentimental Hygiene or Warren Zevon

edit: unforgivable spelling mistake

Edited by MtPain27

Rollins Band-Hard Volume

Death-Symbolic

Black Flag-In My Head

Stargazer-Psychic Secretions

Morbid Angel-Blessed Are The Sick OR Burzum-Hvis Lyset Tarr Oss (i can't decide)

32 minutes ago, Ludi said:

Smh no Alien Lanes :p

Not even in my top 30. It's a fine enough album, but Bob has done so many better ones.

5 minutes ago, MtPain27 said:

My favorite PT album is probably Deadwing for the pure amount of time I spent with it, and my favorite Wilson solo record pinballs between Grace for Drowning and The Raven That Refused to Sing.

The Raven That Refused To Sing is an absolute masterpiece.

"Dynasty" - Kiss: My first rock/metal album ever, it turned my world upside down, recently I've secured a P33C vinyl (Japanese pressing). And boy! It sounds fat and round, like a Caco. 

"Beneath the Remains" - Sepultura: Artwork is permanently etched in my left arm, super ferocious record, with a really strong social message, the barrage of riffs is INSANE. 

"Last Tango" - Esperanto: Ahead of its time, the bass player turned me into a bass player. 

"Moonmadness" - Camel: Sweet, classical Canterbury sound, this album is varied, and has many surprises along the way. 

"Fairchildren" - Ott: Peak music production, I don't think an album will sound as good as this one. 

Honourable mentions: "Pyramid" - Alan Parson's Project, "In Absentia" - Porcupine Tree.

I feel like I don't listen to albums as much as I should. I do buy all my music, and I have a lot of albums and tracks (21,453 songs in my library), but a lot of times I'll listen to an album once in a playlist, and only really come back to the singles. I have been trying to listen to albums in full more, but I really like making playlists. That being said, there's still albums that I absolutely know are ones I love. My top 5 could change at any time.

1. Linkin Park - Reanimation

Yeah, my favorite album is a remix album. Almost every song on here is better than its Hybrid Theory counterpart (with the exceptions of Papercut and In The End). I think because it has more electronic rock and alternative hip-hop sounds over the straight nu-metal of the original, allowing a bigger variety of sounds. Plus, many of the songs have new vocal takes, so issues I have with vocals in a few of the original songs are gone. Just incredibly solid tracks all around. (Favorite song: P5hng Me A*wy) (And if we aren't counting remix albums, then this entry goes to A Thousand Suns, my favorite album of the '10s, and proof that even though I have expanded my musical horizons and have gotten more into stuff like indie-rock and IDM/ambient, I'm still a giant normie.)

2. R.E.M. - Automatic For The People

A near perfect 90's alt-rock album, that deals in somber darkness. Tracks like Find The River, Try Not To Breathe, and Nightswimming all deal in this melancholy that is just absorbing. Man on the Moon and Everybody Hurts may have been the hits (plus the tension-building Drive), but there's so much more here. (Favorite Song: Sweetness Follows)

3. Nine Inch Nails - Still

Another weird pick by a popular artist, this was originally only available in the deluxe editions of a live album. So it wasn't common, but it was definitely worth finding. This 9-track album consisted of 4 instrumentals, 4 stripped-down versions of old songs, and 1 new vocal song. Said vocal song, And All That Could Have Been, is my favorite song of all time. An absolutely haunting track that has the most shoegaze influence out of any song they've ever done. The ending instrumental, Leaving Hope, is also one of the saddest songs I've ever heard, which is impressive given there is no lyrics. Put this on during a dreary day and let it take you down into the feels. (Favorite song: And All That Could Have Been) (And if we're not doing weird things added in deluxe versions, replace this with The Downward Spiral. Because duh)

4. The National - High Violet

I do flip between this and Trouble Will Find Me (aka, the album which a minimalist version of the album art is my profile picture). While both are excellent, I do think this one wins out. On this, the band really solidified the subtle mature indie-rock sound they have had since. The songs are both quietly calm and bursting at the seams. They're haunting, yet euphoric. They can rock, but they know how to write a ballad that will make you cry in the shower at 3 in the morning while fully clothed. (Favorite song: England)

5. Gorillaz - Demon Days

I finally got to see Gorillaz live last year, and they did a lot of this album, which made me happy. Like Reanimation, this is an album chock-full of different sounds and feels. You can hear influences from rock, hip-hop, trip-hop, reggae, punk, and new-wave, just to name some. Add in inspired guest spots from De La Soul, Bootie Brown, MF DOOM and more, and you've got a recipe for amazingness. (Favorite song: El Mañana)

Edited by TJG1289

I don't really have a top 5 but here are 5 albums I love , I'm both a porcupine tree and old-school nightwish fan.

1 - 

81GqrJ8WGYS._SL1500_.jpg

2- 

110109-a_1.jpg

3 - 

81s7lVLNGLL._SL1400_.jpg

4 - 

71SavPKLdOL._SL1400_.jpg

5 - 

Dream_Theater_-_Images_and_Words.jpg

1 hour ago, MtPain27 said:

To engage with above posts a bit: I had a long stretch where I loved Porcupine Tree and SW above pretty much all these, but they sort of faded into the periphery

In a way, that happens with most music I listened to when really getting into full albums. I used to listen to The Beatles and Radiohead's discography religiously, but I seldom revisit them now for the same reason that you said; overplay. Now I tend to listen to an album a couple times, sit on them, then revisit them to see if I still like them or if my feelings have changed. For example, I had very meh feelings on Screamadelica by Primal Scream on first listen, but I gave it another try a couple months later and ended up loving it. (thanks, @LadyMistDragon!)

It's just a matter of not letting the Overplay Octopus wrap its tentacles around your dopamine receptors.

In no particular order...

Skinny Puppy - Too Dark Park
Clan of Xymox - Creatures

Ego Likeness - Breedless

Kraftwerk - Trans-Europe Express

Heathen Apostles - Dust to Dust

Probably changes slightly month-to-month.

I have a bunch that I like so it's hard to pick the definitive top 5. For the moment, in no particular order:

Bjork- Homogenic

Radiohead- In Rainbows

Weyes Blood- Titanic Rising

Beach House- Teen Dream

Aphex Twin- Drukqs

Not in particular order, the ones i at least remember:

1.Wintersun-Wintersun
2.Iron Maiden-Brave new world
3.Children of Bodom- Hate crew deathroll
4.Demons & Wizzards - Demons & Wizzards
5 Blind Guardian - Follow the blind (Im cheating here since i love their early albums equally)

Favorites are hard to list because they always change, so instead I list 5 albums that really have stood the test of time for me and still get regular playtime after several decades:

Helloween - Keeper of the seven keys part 1

Therion - Theli

Running Wild - Black Hand Inn

Nightwish - Oceanborn

Scanner - Hypertrace

Joy Division - Closer 

Radiohead - Kid A

Iron Maiden - Fear of the dark

Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts

Muse - Origin of symmetry 

There are many more albums and bands I hold dearly to me, but at this time I can name those 5 ones. List might change later on, depending on my headspace conditions. 

7 hours ago, Garlichead said:

I mostly listen to latinamerican rock/folk, soul and psych rock.

Virus - Superficies de placer

Charly García - Unplugged

Magma - Attahk

Gal Costa - First Album 

Eduardo Mateo - Solo bien se lame

Honorable mentions

Parliament - Chocolate City

Sly and the family stone - Stand

Happy Mondays - Squirrel and G-Man Twenty Four Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)

Neil Young - Tonight is the night

Nice! Surprised to see Charly García here. I've been really getting into the guy recently, specially Sui Generis.

I really love these threads - it just shows what varied tastes people have. I'm definitely prompted to try other stuff that I would not think to listen to - or even have never heard of before.

1. Neurosis - The Eye of Every Storm

2. Fall of Efrafa - Inle

3. Cult of Luna - Salvation

4. Paysage d'Hiver - Paysage d'Hiver

5. Ulcerate - Everything Is Fire

Chief Keef - Back From The Dead 2
Chief Keef - Almighty So

Chief Keef - Bang, Part Two
Cheif Keef - Back From The Dead

Carcass - Reek Of Putrefaction

My top five albums constantly change week-per-week, and vary depending on mood, my most recent musical discoveries, and whatever else. Here's what they are as of writing:

1. The Beach Boys - Holland
  2. Crash Test Dummies - The Ghosts That Haunt Me/God Shuffled His Feet (I love both equally, I think)
  3. Children of the Corn - The Single
  4. The Upsetters - Super Ape

5. The Beatles - Let It Be... Naked (or whatever fan-edit of the pre-Spector Let It Be you prefer)