Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Astar

What track from Doom annoys you the most?

22 minutes ago, ClumsyDoomer said:

d_rocketin.zip
Here's D_RUNNIN sped up ~20x for your listening pleasure. Feel free to use in your maps

Ouch. That's hurt

9 hours ago, BeachThunder said:

D_RUNNIN...It's an incredible track...but I think I have heard it 20 times more than I need to at this point.

Try a few thousand...

My pick would be map 18, Waiting For Romero To Play.  Not only is it yet another bastardized metal cover (This Love by Pantera), but it's first used in the kickass proto-slaught map The Courtyard, where it's creepy atmos doesn't fit (it does fit better with Monster Condo, tho).  And I think it's the only track in Doom II (apart from the intermission text music) with no percussion whatsoever.  

I still like it, though.  The only Doom music I actually hate is TNT's map 14.  Now THAT one sucks a Tom Hall 'nad.

I will also need to come to They're Going to Get You's defense. It's for real one of my favorite IWAD midis, and those dissonant harmonies in the final loop are actually kind of a big reason why. It sounds like the chaotic and evil influence of Hell seeping in through the walls.

Inversely, has anybody said The Demon's Dead yet? I've never been able to stand that song. It's just one long, obnoxious blare that never changes or gives you a break. It's exhausting to listen to and makes every map it plays in worse. Seriously, try playing Refueling Base with I Sawed the Demons as the midi and it suddenly becomes the best IWAD map.

Dave D. Taylor Blues easily. Holy god, that has to be one of the absolutely worst uses of synth ever in video game music. Like, it's bad enough as a generic blues vamp but it's no worst than "In the Dark" or "Countdown to Death." Throw in that horrific synth line and the fact its used in levels which aren't Trick and Traps and its almost bad enough to mute.

Sign Of Evil feels a tad overused to me and is certainly one of the lesser pieces of music in the soundtrack, IMO. Certainly doesn't convey the dramatic gravitas that I assume people think it will give to maps.

Nobody Told Me About id, I do not really like used anywhere but it's intended IWAD level. It works for the short shootout against the Cyberdemon but for anything longer than that it gets a bit annoying.

If we count TNT then I would say MAP06 music. Because it just feels like the same three notes looped.

I would also throw in the Nu Doom and Doom Eternal soundtrack in there as well. As someone who has tried to listen to the soundtrack but not played the games, I am sure the tracks work really well in the game itself and enhances the experience but as just a track to listen to, it just feels too noisy to be enjoyable for me.

From Doom 2, I would say that music that plays in Barrels of Fun. It feels like a short melody that's just looped and it starts out really enjoyable but then it quickly becomes white noise. I actually don't hate it but I just don't like it either.

I think the only track that I outwardly dislike is "Getting too Tense". It gets very repetitive almost immediately and combined with how it almost sounds like it's trying too hard, it very quickly drives me insane.

Doom 1 does have a few tracks that I'm kinda mixed on though. Particularly "Kitchen Ace" and "On the Hunt". I think they just sound unfinished. Imagine Running from Evil but without the guitar segment. That's what those tracks sound like to me.

Intermission from Doom...

You hear that song so many times that when it appears on "that" level it sounds annoying AF.

2 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

The only Doom music I actually hate is TNT's map 14.  Now THAT one sucks a Tom Hall 'nad.

As a major TNT apologist, I am legally obligated to defend Cold Subtleness, and every other TNT MIDI. Except the text screen music. Evilution's text screen MIDI is the saddest, shortest MIDI that can exist. What were they thinking? It's not music, it's just the distortion guitar played at a really low note!

Doom II: Running From Evil - It's not bad, it's just that it has lived rent-free in my head due to all the times I heard it.

Ultimate Doom: Demons on the Prey - Not my personal taste, it goes through for so long!

Plutonia: The Sweet Little Fucked Up Bunny - I know it's from Ultimate Doom, but my god the song is really annoying when looped.

TNT: D_READ_M - Like Tophat above, it's so fucking short it lasts a few seconds before looping again, and its just a distortion guitar coupled with a few bass notes.

And in my defense on Getting Too Tense; it's very Wolfenstein-esque, it resembles The Ultimate Challenge alot, it makes me think if the song itself is an edit.

It's also a banger. Very good IMO.

9 hours ago, Doomkid said:

If you take composing seriously, I urge you to look up the following: modes, particularised scales, and accidentals. The harmonies in e2m4 are perfectly “valid” dissonant scales which sound off-putting and evil, exactly as they were intended. It’s fine to have the opinion that it’s a bad song, but it objectively breaks zero rules of western music theory.

Well, in my head, the harmonies make no sense. Obviously this is completely objective, though, I just used harsh language because I sincerely dislike this piece of music. While it does do a good job of giving off a very eerie and subtly wrong vibe, I just don't like it being drummed into my ears, especially in a significantly large map. Besides that, you have made a very good point, Doomkid. :)

6 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Quite possibly the most overused DooM track outside of "At DooM's Gate" or "Running From Evil".

I actually like E2M2 midi, but i can see how it can get overplayed and over used. I like remix versions of this midi

I’m gonna add myself to the They’re Going to Get You haters. It’s okay sometimes, but it really turns E2M4 into a drag for me.

However, I think Waiting for Romero to play is worse. It’s just as slow and annoying without being creepy at all.

But now that I’m typing this out, Facing the Spider may be my least favorite cuz it’s like thirty seconds long. If you have a BFG that’s about the right length for that level, but anywhere else that song is too short and repetitive.

Edited by Faceman2000

Donna To The Rescue is one that gets on my nerves quite a bit, and I'm not even sure why.

I agree with They're Going To Get You being a bit of an annoying track, but I feel like the level that actually suffers from having it as a track would be E4M6 rather than E2M4. Though I completely disagree with the disregard for the harmony as "nonsensical", since it's very much trying to invoke a sort of Gregorian chant weirdness with its dissonance.

3 hours ago, ValveMercenary said:

And in my defense on Getting Too Tense; it's very Wolfenstein-esque, it resembles The Ultimate Challenge alot, it makes me think if the song itself is an edit.

The Wolfenstein 3D song I would actually compare Getting Too Tense to is Into The Dungeons from E2M10, since Bobby Prince re-used the melody from that track. He did it twice considering it's also in The Demons from Adrian's Pen.

Interesting how different tastes are, but that's fine :) I'm in the E2M4 supporter camp. It's a very simple track so I totally get the "toddler music" association, but just the dissonances make it interesting.

In contrast, I'm not so fond of Hiding the Secrets, it may be the least favourite in Doom so I agree with OP here, although I don't really "hate" it. The intermission music itself is also not among my favourites, but I like the Deja-Vu-type effect it generates.

My least favourite in Doom 2 is The Healer Stalks. I'm all for Latin/Cuban influenced music but this one for me is simply boring.

From all IWADs, my least favourite however is TNT's AimShootKill. I even think if Habitat had a less simplistic track it wouldn't be hated that much. TNT however has also my favourite IWAD midi: Into the Beast's Belly.

7 hours ago, Cammy said:

Inversely, has anybody said The Demon's Dead yet? I've never been able to stand that song. It's just one long, obnoxious blare that never changes or gives you a break. It's exhausting to listen to and makes every map it plays in worse. Seriously, try playing Refueling Base with I Sawed the Demons as the midi and it suddenly becomes the best IWAD map.

My words exactly.

12 hours ago, Gregor said:

In Doom II "The Demon's Dead" is the worst track overall; while the melody itself is fine, played over and over at this drunken, delirious pace quickly turns it into some kind of a demonic drone that makes you feel like you're trapped in some kind of drug-induced nightmare (and not the memorable kind like in Max Payne).

Across all of the IWADs it's Countdown to Death and it's not even close. From Doom 1 specifically, I have to second On the Hunt. One of the only tracks in OG Doom I actively dislike.

I'm also inclined to defend Cold Subtleness. I think it's a fun track, but I'll admit, scoring one of the worst maps in TNT doesn't do it any favors. 

can't think of any bad,

my fav tho is Smells Like Human Flesh

2 hours ago, solidago said:

Donna To The Rescue is one that gets on my nerves quite a bit, and I'm not even sure why.

I agree with They're Going To Get You being a bit of an annoying track, but I feel like the level that actually suffers from having it as a track would be E4M6 rather than E2M4. Though I completely disagree with the disregard for the harmony as "nonsensical", since it's very much trying to invoke a sort of Gregorian chant weirdness with its dissonance.

The Wolfenstein 3D song I would actually compare Getting Too Tense to is Into The Dungeons from E2M10, since Bobby Prince re-used the melody from that track. He did it twice considering it's also in The Demons from Adrian's Pen.

I thought Getting too Tense was supposed to be a callback reference to The Demons from Adrian's Pen and the Doom 2 intermission

9 minutes ago, Individualised said:

I thought Getting too Tense was supposed to be a callback reference to The Demons from Adrian's Pen and the Doom 2 intermission

All of these tracks call back to the Wolfenstein 3D track I mentioned

Intermission From Doom (E2M3). It works well for the Intermission screen but it's too repetitive in-game. Similar with Facing the Spider (E3M8).

The Doom 1 GBA soundtrack.

For some reason no one talks about this, I guess not enough people care about the GBA version of Doom 1 (obviously) but it's so fucking weird when people do. Doom 1 on the GBA, for some reason, uses the legacy PSG for music instead of generating it in software (1 channel is software generated, but it's mostly used for percussion). This in itself is not neccessarily a bad thing, it could make for some good 8-bit sounding Doom remixes - and that's what many people who have played the GBA port will tell you! They say the soundtrack, albeit most of it being assigned to the wrong levels, is a cute little 8-bit rendition of the Doom songs we all know and love.

Except it's not that. It's not that at all. Doom 1 GBA has one of the most bizarre renditions of the Doom soundtrack you'll ever hear. Just go take a listen for yourself, this post was originally a lot longer but I don't think I can accurately describe in words how weird it is. I wouldn't have found it annoying if it wasn't for the fact that a lot of people seem to have completely missed this, or even claim that this is a good version of the Doom soundtrack. Like I've seen so many videos reviewing or talking about GBA Doom that either completely gloss over the soundtrack, only briefly mention it, or even say that it sounds good and there's nothing wrong with it other than it sounding overly chiptune for GBA. I was actually considering making a music replacement .WAD with MIDI transcriptions of these tracks, with the instruments of the original songs, for PC Doom just to bring attention to this because I feel so passionate about it. Ugh.

Edited by Individualised

16 minutes ago, Individualised said:

The Doom 1 GBA soundtrack.

I didn’t mind it so much as far as the sound, but the music order should’ve been the proper order at least. 

I don't know the reason why the music order is shifted ahead, but the renditions are pretty nice, i like to hear them once in a while.

And I even was considering to make MIDI edits like Individualised.

5 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

But now that I’m typing this out, Facing the Spider may be my least favorite cuz it’s like thirty seconds long. If you have a BFG arhats about the right length for that level, but unaware else that song is too short and repetitive.

I'm surprised it took so long to mention this. I guess E3M8 is just over so quickly the song doesn't register in people's heads. But the 15 seconds of its duration aren't even 15 good seconds. But I guess it's really super subjective because I enjoy Countdown to Death and Hiding the Secrets despite them being weird/basic. I don't like Shawn Got The Shotgun though, maybe because it's used three times including on MAP19.