Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
D4NUK1

Realm Deeps 2023 Round-up!

So many newer titles and demo to try, and a nice show better that last year for sure.

What's are you round-up opinions? My highligths are:

-Shadowdroping Ion Fury Aftershock! 2 Days from now! I hopefully they deliver a discount for original players cause i have no money and how was shadowdroped i could not save it haha. But oh well.

-The Last Exterminator gamefeel remind me of that Duke Nukem all 3D that was the first time how i played it, feels Nostalgic but still hit the fun on the exploration and the shooting stuff for the fun.

-Marrow, a newer mod for Blood, stuff like that don't usually go in events, thanks to 3D Realms director to have this opportunity, don't go all full modding like Death Wish, but still go with all vainilla stuff, trink like a Sigil sort out, it's free and im dowloading it rigth now.

-Wrath, im pleased for the final final date, but still hope the devs complete the initial idea of the original developer of the game, the first time i brougth the game, the larger levels let me feel sorta like a metroidvania or a Quake Arcane Dimensions but with a original feel and all the hubs, a really hard idea and game to pull out, even in the original Darkplaces engine, so even with changes, im 100% positive of this game still.

-Graven, i brougth that some years ago, but with my backlog of game i was waiting for the complete game to release, it's cool that i don't have to wait that much.

-Phantom Fury, feels like need some more time on the cooking, the gamefeel is there, but i don't know if the levels interactions or complexity with stuff it's all there, there a good game commentary on the Realm Deeps and i like it, but hopefully can be better with the interactions, and even some enemy feedback.

-Echo Point Nova, 100/10 best game for movement combat with classic cod gamefeel.

-DUSK HD my beloved let's gooo!

There were sooooo many survival games....I can see there are a number of different genres represented but I guess it's just like survival sims aren't exactly retro? At least one of them had some promise

but as to games that were impressive besides the ones everyone knows

Incision - This has been coming for a while but I remember being quite impressed with its viscerality from a AlphaBetaGamer video and it's just good to see its still coming!

Viscerafest - A wise-cracking protagonist and gameplay that probably takes cues from arena shooters with its diffficulty? Oh yeaaah!

Echo Point Nova - The presentation is nice and it's quite immersive. And it feels so kinetic!

Core Decay - Deus Ex-like? Sign me up!

Mela Petaka - I guess you might call it a highly frenetic pixel-style FPS like Nightmare Reaper or something, but with a sci-fi coating. Looks nicely cooked!

I can't remember the names of the two other games, but there was that cell-shades immersive sim set during the roaring twentires from the looks of it and that FPS/RTS hybrid that was like sci-fi that looked really nice!

6 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

There were sooooo many survival games....I can see there are a number of different genres represented but I guess it's just like survival sims aren't exactly retro? At least one of them had some promise

but as to games that were impressive besides the ones everyone knows

Incision - This has been coming for a while but I remember being quite impressed with its viscerality from a AlphaBetaGamer video and it's just good to see its still coming!

Viscerafest - A wise-cracking protagonist and gameplay that probably takes cues from arena shooters with its diffficulty? Oh yeaaah!

Echo Point Nova - The presentation is nice and it's quite immersive. And it feels so kinetic!

Core Decay - Deus Ex-like? Sign me up!

Mela Petaka - I guess you might call it a highly frenetic pixel-style FPS like Nightmare Reaper or something, but with a sci-fi coating. Looks nicely cooked!

I can't remember the names of the two other games, but there was that cell-shades immersive sim set during the roaring twentires from the looks of it and that FPS/RTS hybrid that was like sci-fi that looked really nice!

That cel-shaded one with that twenties aesthetic is named Fallen Aces, from New Blood Interactive.

Edited by ConMan3222

I'm not usually a CRPG fan, but Islands of the Caliph demo excited me when I gave it a try.

8 minutes ago, taufan99 said:

I'm not usually a CRPG fan, but Islands of the Caliph demo excited me when I gave it a try.

yeah, that honestly looked really cool! At first glance, it kind of looked like Wizordum or games with a similar artstyle if more serious, but it soon became clear the theming was pretty darn unique whatever else I might've thought at first.

25 minutes ago, taufan99 said:

A Iznogoud first-person shooter? :P

Caught some of it, some thoughts of mine:

Frank Klepacki doing the music for Tempest Rising has filled me immense joy, I am super excited for this because even if the game doesn't hold up the music most definitely will.

-

Played the Phantom Fury demo... This is not it chief.

Rough, messy, buggy, terrible to play.

My disappointment in it is legendary, for what is supposed to be another shot at DNF01, it sure as hell plays 4000 times worse, lacks the polish and gameplay (even when compared to an unreleased prototype) and just in general sucks. Ran into multiple issues/bugs.

Spoiler

fyxI54Y.png

To my understanding, this is the teaser for a game they worked at least 3 years on (up to six if the Copyright on the files if anything to go off).

If this is your demo to hype us up, I don't want to see what the full product will be.

-

Aftershock coming out... Today... Is a shock, we'll have to see if it is any good (heard good things, then again).

-

Dusk HD is pretty exciting, really interested in how some of the more abstract enemies look (like the Cowgirl, Horrors or Bone Balls look).

10 minutes ago, mrthejoshmon said:

Frank Klepacki doing the music for Tempest Rising has filled me immense joy, I am super excited for this because even if the game doesn't hold up the music most definitely will.

HOLD THE FUCKING PRESS!!!

Too bad, I have sort of given up on the RTS genre lately, as I just cannot handle the stress of real-time multitasking anymore.

17 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

HOLD THE FUCKING PRESS!!!

Too bad, I have sort of given up on the RTS genre lately, as I just cannot handle the stress of real-time multitasking anymore.

As for playing them, eh, just bump them down to easy mode and enjoy yourself, if I'm looking to just relax and set up fun battles then I'll do just that.

1 hour ago, mrthejoshmon said:

As for playing them, eh, just bump them down to easy mode and enjoy yourself, if I'm looking to just relax and set up fun battles then I'll do just that.

No, sadly, that does not work for me. Doing so, I cannot help but feel like I am missing out on the "real" game. Either way, I am not sure my current computer can handle Tempest Rising. Even back in the days, it struggled to maintain a consistent framerate with StarCraft II.

Anyway, when the time comes, I will most likely purchase the Frank Klepacki soundtrack if it is made available as a separate download.

26 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

No, sadly, that does not work for me. Doing so, I cannot help but feel like I am missing out on the "real" game. 

I see this come up often between my two favorite gaming circles (Doom and FromSoft action-RPGs), and while I sympathize I still feel it’s detrimental to your enjoyment of the game.

Either way: I’m still reeling from “surprise new Quake 2 content” from a month ago, and now it’s happening again with Marrow for Blood - and Ion Fury gets its expansion? What a great way to start out my favorite month, holy crap.

53 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

No, sadly, that does not work for me. Doing so, I cannot help but feel like I am missing out on the "real" game. Either way, I am not sure my current computer can handle Tempest Rising. Even back in the days, it struggled to maintain a consistent framerate with StarCraft II.

Anyway, when the time comes, I will most likely purchase the Frank Klepacki soundtrack if it is made available as a separate download.

Understandable, sometimes I end up having to go back and bump the difficulty up for some RTS games (I've recently had to up Total war to Hard/Very Hard as I just run the entire AI over).

Command and Conquer however can still prove itself difficult on lower difficulties when it decides to slam 400 units at you all at once, which the AI (especially in Red Alert 2) has a nasty habit of doing when you aren't looking. Tempest Rising has the potential to really be the successor to C&C and I'm hopeful after the demo.

1 hour ago, mrthejoshmon said:

Tempest Rising has the potential to really be the successor to C&C and I'm hopeful after the demo.

Oh, is the demo good?

I have to say, although I welcome Frank Klepacki joining the project, I remain skeptical of Tempest Rising's chances. After all, Petroglyph is made of ex-Westwood developers, yet all their attempts at creating a worthy C&C successor have been unsuccessful, so an unknown studio like Slipgate Ironworks?

Really hope DUSK HD is a free update, otherwise it'd be the perfect grift lmao 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Really hope DUSK HD is a free update, otherwise it'd be the perfect grift lmao 

If I am correct, the HD textures will in the new Dusk Steam Workshop as an official Workshop mod.

image.png.7fee71db35cab9ef6bc5357777a35e9e.png

21 hours ago, ConMan3222 said:

That cel-shaded one with that twenties aesthetic is named Fallen Aces, from New Blood Interactive.

Fallen aces is so much fun, I played the demo when it came out, and yes I did listen to Gianni shitting.

So how is Aftershocks?

I have my reservations about Ion Fury, but the Arrange Mode sounds like an excellent idea that I wish could have been a feature of every FPS sequel/expansion!

The Last Exterminator has massive DN3D energy lmao - even the game's main theme sounds like grabbag a lot, crazy.

Phantom Fury looked massively underwhelming ngl, and I feel that's because guns seem to play terrible. When enemies are shot, there's no feedback, feels like every weapon is a freaking pea shooter. Level design looked cool, but they really need to upgrade their combat system because imo in its current state it just feels undercooked as hell.

On 10/2/2023 at 7:19 AM, Rudolph said:

A Iznogoud first-person shooter? :P

I know some European comics, but not much that one, unfortunately. :(

2 hours ago, Firedust said:

The Last Exterminator has massive DN3D energy lmao - even the game's main theme sounds like grabbag a lot, crazy.

Massive energy? It's practically "What if Duke 3D but actual 3d and made in 1997?" Not necessarily a bad thing. The character voice is a bit meh though. This kind of game needs someone like the actress who voiced Shelly in Ion Fury. She knew exactly how cheesy it was and leaned hard into it like an absolute champ.

Edited by Murdoch

43 minutes ago, taufan99 said:

I know some European comics, but not much that one, unfortunately. :(

Eh. You are not missing much: imagine the Pinky and The Brain skits from The Animaniacs, only instead of trying (and failing) to take over the world, the titular villain protagonist - a grand vizier instead of a genius lab rat - wants to become the caliph.

Having been exposed to it as a child, I cannot help but think of it whenever I see the word "caliph". :P

Aftershock will please anyone who is a fan of Ion Fury. I don’t know how I feel about the rest though. Phantom Fury should’ve been Voidpoint’s thing, not Nu-3DR’s who has already dropped a bomb (pun intended) once before with this character. 

My thoughts on Realms Deep 2023: The Last One Before Embracer Sells 3D Realms To Bain Capital:

1. The interstitial skits were sub-PC Gaming Show levels of dire, and I'm well aware of the grave, osmium-tier weight of that statement.
  2. This show has two games built solely around the concept of "yo, what if winnie the pooh was FUCKED UP" and that probably means copyright terms should be extended to 700 years after the artist's death. Hire me, Disney.
  3. There are tons of very talented graphics artists making their games look like a million bucks, and apparently very few sound designers who know how to give things weight and personality and stuff. Sound remains neglected by many. :(
  4. If you ever consider doing a game trailer showcase that lasts longer than your average Lord of the Rings movie, please do us a favor and don't. Split that thing up into multiple days or something, Jesus.

I'm really happy with the three trailers I got to cut this year thanks to Arlene and Bridgeburner hiring me to help out once again. I know you're being cheeky with that Embracer bit, Kinsie, but I hope you're wrong so I can hopefully cut even more trailers for next year's showcase.

Never in my life have I wishlisted so many games from Realms Deep haha.

- Had a blast going through Peripeteia's demo (Deus Ex meets Cyberpunk Poland), and I've yet to try The Last Exterminator's.

- Eagerly waiting for the release of demos for D.O.R.F and Dying Breed (probably the most beautiful C&C-inspired games I've seen so far), Rune Coliseum (Sword & Sandals-esque), the reissue of Strike Force Heroes (wth), Agent 64, #Blud and more !

- Divine Frequency when :(

13 hours ago, Kinsie said:

This show has two games built solely around the concept of "yo, what if winnie the pooh was FUCKED UP" and that probably means copyright terms should be extended to 700 years after the artist's death. Hire me, Disney.

I hope that if Mario goes into Public Domain, we'll get 5 HILARIOUS games about Mario doing the mushrooms and brutally killing the koopas with real life gun.

I should be a Video Game Parody Writer, Dorkly please hire me.

Edited by Mr Masker

Hopefully 3DR learns from the feedback of the demo and actually addresses the issues disclosed in Phantom Fury otherwise holy shit what happened, you don't make bad things on purpose unless you're a troll and I say that for any "bad" game. Obviously talented people are working on this, so I wonder if it's internal issues at the company that are causing these problems to persevere.

On 10/1/2023 at 7:09 PM, D4NUK1 said:

DUSK HD my beloved let's gooo!

Yum Yum. I can't wait for my second run. But David Szymanski is also working on Gloomwood so i wish that this immersive sim/thief like will be done quickly :p

Regarding Wrath: Aeon of Ruin, it's good that we have a final release date now, given the game to many appeared to be stuck in dev hell forever. But I'm curious, have they explained what has changed for the game, if anything? Are they still going for the plans they had for the full version back when it was first released in EA, or have they scaled it down in an effort to get it released?