Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoctorNuriel

Community Project concepts that you would like to see?

On 2/11/2024 at 7:36 PM, Devalaous said:

This has been in my head for years, but I want to see Switcheroom taken to a new level and swapping entire games.

Imagine Knee Deep in the Dead, turned into City of the Damned from Heretic and vice versa, with each game's unique systems in play (E6M3 would have the *easiest* conversion :p)

Imagine Doom 2's 'episodes', turned into Hexen hubs, with Hexen's hubs turned into regular Doom 2 starport/city/hell levels without the fancy hub system and full of demons

Chex Quest and KDitD swapped!

You know, i had your same idea as well from long time; Heretic levels remade in Doom are a concept that i saw done quite a lot of times, even in "recent" times, but never the opposite. I tried to remake Hangar on Heretic, but i gave up on the "planets" computer room.

Had a switcheroom concept of Doom 2/Hexen MAP01, but never realized.

Tormentor667 Community Project: every map is overdetailed to ridiculous degree.

I may be wrong but I have never seen a community project with limited vertices.

I've often thought about Doom Alpha & Omega: a community project using only alpha and Final Doom textures.

15 hours ago, Raith138 said:

I may be wrong but I have never seen a community project with limited vertices.

There's this: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/v64

14 hours ago, janiform said:

I've often thought about Doom Alpha & Omega: a community project using only alpha and Final Doom textures.

It's a interesting concept, actually...

On 2/20/2024 at 8:54 AM, Walter confetti said:

You know, i had your same idea as well from long time; Heretic levels remade in Doom are a concept that i saw done quite a lot of times, even in "recent" times, but never the opposite. I tried to remake Hangar on Heretic, but i gave up on the "planets" computer room.

Had a switcheroom concept of Doom 2/Hexen MAP01, but never realized.

My friend @SpaceCat_2001 has shown me a great e1m1 remake in heretic. It would be nice. The opposite too could work very well.

Random ideas I came up with maybe some have been done maybe some are bad:

- discord-roles based community project

- worst map of all time community project (maps that aren't so bad they're entertaining or hold some value, just exceedingly boring and forgettable)

- emulate-another-mapper-who-is-also-in-the-project community project (map in style of another author who is also in projecT)

- light -> dark or variations on it community project (each map progressively is at a darker ambient light level)

- platforming maps community project (32+ levels of just platforming, it would be particularly cool to see from non-platforming mappers)

- polygons community project (each map based around a particular shape/polygon, i.e. sunder14)

- random 10x10 community project (10x10 except each map a randomizer spits out 10 textures and 10 flats from a texture resource)

- make a map based on the "post about the custom title/pfp above you thread" community project (i.e. map02 makes map based on pfp/custom title of map01 author, etc..)

- random words community project (use a random word generator to select 3 words that you base your map around)

- worst music of all time community project (make extremely cool maps but give it the worst midi/music you can find)

- Best music of all time community project (make garbage maps with insanely good music)

- outdated memes community project (make maps based around old memes nobody really likes anymore)

- current memes community project

- worst stereotypes community project (make maps based around worst stereotypes about map genres)

- fish bowl community project (make maps that take place inside a fish tanks/fish bowls, plenty of opportunity to make great non-playable area structures)

- obscure emojis community project (make maps based around seldom-used or weird emojis)

- fictious characters community project (make maps based around beloved fictitious characters)

- Games community project (make maps based around boardgames/cardgames/sports, I bet sports stadiums would make for great setpiece fights)

- Swift slaughter community project (think swift death [hot starts] + shorter, smaller slaughter maps, i.e. scythe map26)

- Very tiny community project (make maps resembling real locations but they are huge compared to player; you are an ant navigating a children's bedroom for example)

We have quite a few slaughter themed community projects, but I'd like to see a "Slaughter-Lite" community project taking inspiration from the more accessible spectacle driven affairs that Skillsaw and A2Rob create. Lots of space, lots of low tier monsters, and just pure over the top fun.

Posted (edited)

A few more ideas that have been floating around in my mind for some time:

-I feel like the world could use more E2-styled corrupted techbases, so I'd love to see a Doom 1 community project where every episode is just that. Each one would take place on a different planet/moon/whatever but they'd all follow the same E2 style. It'd also use alpha/unused Doom textures.

-I already mentioned this one in another thread. I'd title it "Between Levels" and the title screen music would be that song.

On 3/21/2024 at 5:03 PM, Plerb said:

You know what would be cool? A community project dedicated to imagining the areas in-between each level in Doom 1 and 2. For example the first map would be E1M1.5, which would connect to both the ending room of E1M1 at the start, and the beginning of E1M2 at the end.

-A project where you reimagine levels from any non-Doom engine game, regardless of genre, as a Doom map. It doesn't even have to be an FPS game. A related project idea I've had for even longer is one where you take maps from id Tech 0 games like Wolf3D and Blake Stone, and turn them into proper Doom maps with variable sector heights, lighting, etc.

Edited by Plerb

Posted (edited)

I would love to see more community projects that are completely based on one level from doom 1 or 2, like that one PUSS session were every map is based on e4m2, or the ongoing "The Halls Speak to me" project, were all the levels are based on Underhalls.

The ones that i think that could be interesting are Containment Area, Mt.Erebus, Warrens, Hell Beneath, Dead Simple (this one could be made with UMAPINFO for the boss actions, it can keep being limit removing tho, it doesn't need to be Boom strictly), Tricks And Traps, Circle of Death, Downtown (Doom 2 in City Only doesn't count), The Inmost Dens and The Living End.

Wormhole, Pharaoh, Twilight and Go 2 it for more Final Doom representation too.

An idea that I've had for a while is a project called Virtual Rampage (VR). it would be designed exclusively for use in GZdoomVR. maps would be designed around things that are fun in vr (shootabe switches at varying heights, monsters on 3d floors, being able to shoot around corners) and discouraging things that aren't fun in vr (fast lifts, steep drops, platforming) However, I don't think that something so niche where the mappers can't easily playtest would get much attention. maybe someone better versed with community project hosting could make it work.

8 hours ago, DankMetal said:

Dead Simple

that's already been done

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/dscythe

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Kinetic said:

Random ideas I came up

Lots of interesting concepts like "fish bowl", "best/worst music", "Games of Doom", "Polygons" and "pfp/custom titles above you" sounds particulary interesting for a silly speedmapping excersize!

11 hours ago, Plerb said:

A project where you reimagine levels from any non-Doom engine game, regardless of genre, as a Doom map

It could be interesting see Duke Nukem 3D or Quake maps using vanilla Doom limit... Actually, i was thinking of something similar with Duke maps... I see many single player wads using this tropes!

10 hours ago, DankMetal said:

I would love to see more community projects that are completely based on one level from doom 1 or 2

Good ideas!

Edited by Walter confetti

Posted (edited)

Talking about a concept for community efforts:

Maps based upon a real world object or place (a shop, a playfield, a smartphone, a TV, etc.) but turning the thing you choose to map in a bizzarre way, like stalagmites made of screens or a small park floating in the void or anything crazy like that.

Actually, this is a concept inspired by @Lok idea in my discord server and evolved by me in this way lol

Edited by Walter confetti

10 hours ago, Kinetic said:

- emulate-another-mapper-who-is-also-in-the-project community project (map in style of another author who is also in projecT)

This would be an interesting one for sure.

Maps that are made within shareware asset limitations. Anything included in the shareware WAD can be utilized but nothing else. 

Never really thought of a community project, but one idea that came up to me is something along the lines of "Imitate a map you like and give it your personal spin".

So an example, Rowdy Rudy 2's MAP01 would be the basis, and taking inspiration from that, you create a map around what's featured: "Outdoors starting area with rocky mountains, which transitions into a techbase".

Would be cool, honestly.

Posted (edited)

One that I'd still like to do, and it probably has been done before, is a "co-mapping job". You make a layout and progression and someone else decorates and populates it. Some rooms could be added if necessary, but mostly a surprise between two mappers. Meanwhile, the first person would make their own version of the map, and they'd be a pair in the final WAD. 

Edited by DoomGappy

emulate-another-mapper-who-is-also-in-the-project community project (map in style of another author who is also in projecT)

This very old project exist but never been completed, unluckilly

light -> dark or variations on it community project (each map progressively is at a darker ambient light level)

Mmmh, something similar to this exist, but i forgot the name of It. Something with "Dark" in it, btw.

random 10x10 community project (10x10 except each map a randomizer spits out 10 textures and 10 flats from a texture resource)

Not 10x10 like, but a similar concept has been done here: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/textxtra

random words community project (use a random word generator to select 3 words that you base your map around)

Conceptually, there's these two that follow the same principle:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Literalism

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/vibes

worst stereotypes community project (make maps based around worst stereotypes about map genres)

Conceptually similar again, based upon "worst" IWAD maps tropes: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/s-u/shovel-5

fictious characters community project (make maps based around beloved fictitious characters)

There's Forever Alone

Very tiny community project (make maps resembling real locations but they are huge compared to player; you are an ant navigating a children's bedroom for example)

Doom Rats is the project for you

maps completely different to any other map community project

Posted (edited)

I've been thinking for some time now with the idea of hosting a community project with maps that emulates the style of the frog and toad series. You know the drill if you played those maps: speedmaps with esoteric concepts and hardcore gameplay, hostile to the player, silly music and gimmicks, barely uv maxable, scary to beat saveless despite being short in lenght, and abstract rusty visual themes.

Im aware that there are many slaughter/combat puzzle/hard maps focused community projects out there, but i think that the niche and more weird side of it hasnt been explored a lot, and there's potential on that because there are many users out there like me that enjoy a lot this type of stuff (Like Kinetic pointed out with the idea of a platforming community project). Also i dont necessary think that the project should only allow speedmaps, but that can be discussed.

Still, i'll probably won't do this but i did wanted to share the idea.

Edited by dashlet

1 hour ago, Walter confetti said:

Doom Rats is the project for you

It's on hiatus but will come back to development soon! Visit our thread and say hi!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ALilGrayBoi said:

A Demake of doom eternal’s levels in classic doom. That would go so hard

This would be ten times better than the actual Doom Eternal which just spams several waves of monsters on every arena instead of doing carefully calibrated layouts that give every monster type a specific purpose... like all the modern megawads do.

Back to topic, I've been thinking about a community project akin to recent Doom 2 in City Only, except the general theme would be good old Hell. From classic marble hallways and red brick castles to fleshy abominations and ominous voidscapes - there's a lot of potential here!

Posted (edited)

A PSX-themed megawad intended to fill an aesthetic, thematic and story gap between Final Doom and Doom 64. It doesn't necessarily have to have the stripped-down architecture of actual PSX Doom, it just just evoke the PSX aesthetic.

[edit] For bonus points, use a setting that the IWADs haven't used yet, like on the Moon or Mars or something.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, dashlet said:

I've been thinking for some time now with the idea of hosting a community project with maps that emulates the style of the frog and toad series. You know the drill if you played those maps: speedmaps with esoteric concepts and hardcore gameplay, hostile to the player, silly music and gimmicks, barely uv maxable, scary to beat saveless despite being short in lenght, and abstract rusty visual themes.

Dame un par de meses que me pase Sunlust y mapee un poco mejor y te colaboro algo así

This one is the best of the ideas you've had. I would like it a lot. The biggest problem would be if a lot of the mappers that end up joining don't really have a recognizable mapping style or trait...

Edited by Pancrasio

On 4/6/2024 at 5:28 PM, Pancrasio said:

This one is the best of the ideas you've had. I would like it a lot. The biggest problem would be if a lot of the mappers that end up joining don't really have a recognizable mapping style or trait...

The emoji community project is definitely the best idea there, my money is on that one being the best idea

On 4/6/2024 at 1:04 PM, ALilGrayBoi said:

A Demake of doom eternal’s levels in classic doom. That would go so hard

If you haven't stumbled upon it yet, Muumi's Map32 from PUSS IX: Mapping at Warpspeed is a demake of part of the blood swamps. It would indeed be neat to see other portions done similarly, I'm quite fond of the nature-reclaimed Earth areas from one of the DLCs.

On 4/6/2024 at 2:03 PM, Heretic926 said:

Back to topic, I've been thinking about a community project akin to recent Doom 2 in City Only, except the general theme would be good old Hell. 

I’d love to see some city levels with that true hell on earth feel that doom eternal had. I’m not sure if it’s possible in the doom engine though.