Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CasualScrub

What genre is DOOM?

Really - what genre is Doom? Because I've heard it said so many times that Doom is an arena shooter...

42 minutes ago, Astar said:

Really - what genre is Doom? Because I've heard it said so many times that Doom is an arena shooter...

"Arena shooter" didn't exist as a genre when Doom was released. You should actually watch the video first.

Posted (edited)

Hey, a new Ahoy video, and as entertaining as it is informative, very nice. I had not heard of Shadowcaster (or at least didn't know it was by Raven Software) but is definitely the next game I'm checking out.

Edited by Lippeth

Doom
Genre: Very Very Religious Action Survival Shooter (More Religious than Super 3D Noah's Ark)
Rating: 777 of 10

Story:
You play as a strong, brave marine who held very high moral value. You are exiled to Mars because you assaulted an evil senior office whom has ordered marines to shoot civilians. On mars, you worked guarding radioactive waste facilities built by UAC. You heard that they are doing secret experiments on inter-dimensional travel.

One day, you, along with others, are sent to investigate incident in Phobos. You are tasked to secure perimeter whilst assault teams stormed inside. You heard your radio transmitting gunshots and your fellow marines screaming as they being killed by demons. Soon you realized that you are the only one left alive. As you can't operate shuttle off of Phobos alone, you boldy entered Phobos base.

You banished all demons you came across your way and found inter-dimensional portal to Deimos. You banished demons at Deimos and killed their mastermind at their heartland, Hell. You found a hidden door that leads to Earth. "Finally, I'm home", you thought. Alas...

Doom II
Genre: Best Religious Action Survival Stealth Shooter (Stealth because ChaingunnerTM, RevenantTM, and Arch-VileTM)
Rating: 999 of 10

Story:
You came back to Earth, only to found that Earth and humanity is in its peril. You helped remaining survivors to evacuate from Earth, whilst banishing evils you met in your way. Later, you are tasked to close portal that evils used to invade Earth. You found the portal, but alas you can't shut it from Earth, so you dared to enter the portal to end invasion from inside, just to save Earth and humanity. You found a gigantic demon, made of 256x128px textures lined-up together, with exposed brain which looks like lava texture re-used. You pumped up rockets to creature's brain, after you used ability you got from GOD named SAVEGAME so many times. The creature screams as it explodes, and you ended the invasion and saved humanity.

Posted (edited)

90's videogame magazines in alternate universe be like:

''First Person sci-fi buckshot-based-exorcism simulator.''

As I remember the saying

"F P S"

Or at least I think.

5 hours ago, Lippeth said:

Hey, a new Ahoy video, and as entertaining as it is informative, very nice. I had not heard of Shadowcaster (or at least didn't know it was by Raven Software) but is definitely the next game I'm checking out.

Ahoy mentioned it already in his DOOM video from 2015 or so. But otherwise I would not know about this game.

I don't know how Shadowcaster never fully registered on my radar until just now, but seeing the textures and colors in the short clips I couldn't help but think "That's so Raven!"

Posted (edited)

The narrator in the video shrugs it off right at the beginning, but Doom actually was kind of an adventure game: you explore convoluted spaces, you solve (admittedly simple) puzzles involving locked doors, keys and switches. So it could be described as a first-person action adventure.

edit: So he comes to the conclusion that Doom is an Action RPG... since it lacks character development through stats I would still call it an Action Adventure. Interesting video though.

Edited by Tetzlaff

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2024 at 12:08 PM, Scrabbs said:

visual novel and maybe erotic

Did you know that every good Space Marine is, at heart, an erotic Space Marine? It's true.

I guess thinking back on it, we pretty much just called Doom Doom when I was a kid. We didn't really have a term for it, and pretty much every other game around that time was a "Doom-like", as in, Isle of the Dead was "Like Doom, but with zombies" and Wolfenstein was "Like Doom, but with Nazis", and Blakestone was "Like Doom, but with aliens". Keep in mind I played Doom before any of those other games.

Although we didn't really put things into genres at all, as far as I can recall. We didn't call games like Mario "platformers", although I guess we did use the term "RPG" to describe games like Final Fantasy.

I guess if I had to choose the perfect genre for Doom and Doom-Likes when it came out, I would go with the tried and true description of "Murder Simulator" that became so popular back in the 90's.

Edited by Jello

First person shooter 

Anything else is superfluous 

I think the basis of his argument calling Gauntlet an "RPG" is already flawed, even if the game appears to have some distant inspiration from Rogue, progenitor of the pretty much the entire CRPG genre.

Gauntlet is an action-maze game. I think Id's lineup of FPSes could be described the same way, if you didn't want to invent a new genre.

20 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

The narrator in the video shrugs it off right at the beginning, but Doom actually was kind of an adventure game: you explore convoluted spaces, you solve (admittedly simple) puzzles involving locked doors, keys and switches. So it could be described as a first-person action adventure.

You're closer to id's own description of Doom as a lightning-fast virtual reality adventure.

If you think about it, almost every single game can be classified as an "RPG" because you play some sort of role in it 🤔

Doom's genre is DOS Game, there is no other possibility. At least back then, that is what I heard the most.

Horror-- Doom 64 & 3

Action - Classic, II, Eternal

Adventure - ALL

Exploration - 64, TNT, 2016

RPG - 2016, Eternal

FPS - All

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

You're closer to id's own description of Doom as a lightning-fast virtual reality adventure.

That's what I was referring to. He quotes id's own description in the beginning of the video and then just brushes it away. Take "lightning-fast" for Action and "virtual reality" for 3D and you have a 3D Action-Adventure.

Posted (edited)

I always thought of it as another one of those FPS games that give me motion sickness.  Great video.

Edit:  What port and version is the person playing in the beginning of the video?  I like the way the monsters sound, thanks.

Edited by vanilla_d00m

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, vanilla_d00m said:

Edit:  What port and version is the person playing in the beginning of the video?  I like the way the monsters sound, thanks.

It looks like GZDoom. Those are the original monster sounds, perhaps with GZDoom's audio interpolation enabled (it makes the sounds less harsh, for lack of a better term).

Edited by TheUltimateDoomer666

14 minutes ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

It looks like GZDoom. Those are the original monster sounds, perhaps with GZDoom's audio interpolation enabled (it makes the sounds less harsh, for lack of a better term).

I wonder what version it is though, I already commented that person who made the video about it.  ZDOOM 2.8.1 monster sounds especially the zombies don't sound right, they sound better in 2.3.1 and the imps and pretty much everything else.  

Because of v2.3.1.. I was able to appreciate the original sounds over the playstation one.  And thats why I made this name.. because original is always better to me.  Brutal doom is so bad. 

32 minutes ago, vanilla_d00m said:

I wonder what version it is though, I already commented that person who made the video about it.  ZDOOM 2.8.1 monster sounds especially the zombies don't sound right, they sound better in 2.3.1 and the imps and pretty much everything else.

I downloaded both of those ZDoom versions. The sounds are the same. The difference is due to whatever resampling or output rate settings you are using. ZDoom 2.3.1 seems to have the resampler set to linear by default, while 2.8.1 seems to use no interpolation as the default setting.

Posted (edited)

2.3.1 Monster Sounds are more gritty to me.  I had them both in no interpolation, sound 8.0.  I been doing this stuff for years, I know what im hearing.  The sg and ssg is also louder in 2.3.1.  I have a habit of playing my games fairly loud on speakers.. I can hear the difference. 

DOOM is a good genre in the FPS world. 

Well.. I don't think I will be finding the version of gzdoom the person was using in the video.  GZDOOM 1.8.0.1597 sounds good.

15 hours ago, vanilla_d00m said:

2.3.1 Monster Sounds are more gritty to me.  I had them both in no interpolation, sound 8.0.

I just did direct recordings of the sounds from both ZDoom versions with no interpolation. After volume matching the recordings, there is no audible difference in the "grittiness" of the sounds. I suspect it's placebo or there is another setting that is affecting the output of the audio.

Posted (edited)

The tone sounds different to me between the versions, the imp & zombies getting hit.  Well… I’m still using 2.3.1.  Thank you for testing it.

Or.. maybe my computer sound devices are handling 2.3.1 differently.

Edited by vanilla_d00m