Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duvel

Heretic: Treasure Chest - PLEASE FILL IN SLOTS!

Lord_Z said:

Anyway, it would be awesome to get a full 10 levels or something for it.

Maybe this group of Heretic enthusiasts could put something together. :P

I'm yet to see an invasion pack that actually does something interesting with the mode. The stock Skulltag Invasion maps are still the best IMO. Which is sad.

kristus said:

I'm yet to see an invasion pack that actually does something interesting with the mode. The stock Skulltag Invasion maps are still the best IMO. Which is sad.

True. I like the stock maps as they're actually suited for single player. Multiplayer invasion hasn't appealed to me as much. Maybe I should try survival invasion now.

Creaphis said:

True. I like the stock maps as they're actually suited for single player. Multiplayer invasion hasn't appealed to me as much. Maybe I should try survival invasion now.

Ya, the main problem with normal co-op is that with infinite lives people simply don't care for the most part. You're pretty much guaranteed to win eventually so the rush simply isn't there. I hate normal co-op but absolutely love survival. It totally changes the way you and everybody else plays.

1 life though I think makes quite a few invasion maps almost impossible. The gamemode has been changed though and instead of having survival co-op, survival invasion, etc... we've simply added a new setting. sv_maxlives so you can set how many lives you want to give the players. Survival Invasion but you only get 3 lives or something. Makes it a *bit* more reasonable. Of course you can still set it to only 1 life if you want which is the default setting.

Regarding the fact that there has been nothing really interesting done with the mode... I don't 100% agree as there have been some decent map sets released. Delta and Alpha invasion come to mind. I do prefer the stock maps though myself as well but variety is the spice of life. There are some pretty damn impressive ones though that are being developed for Sabbatt Martyr 2. Once that is released I'm sure a lot of people are going to be blown away.

Still though - more Heretic wads are needed.... of any kind. So stop reading this and get back to work on the chest. :)

Edit: Just thought I'd mention if you want to see something *interesting* done with the invasion game mode then you should check this out:

http://download.yousendit.com/9D659E1E0BE3CDB2
map: d2inv6

It's something I was working on a while ago. The map.... well.... it kinda sucks as far as I'm concerned so I never really released it. I had planned on changing it rather drastically but I never got around to it. At any rate... it's definitely different as you'll see. The level slowly changes from a grassy field to a hellish-type area as you go through the waves. Check out the ACS if you want to feel sick. LOL

the stock maps are the best because no one ever finishes their invasion projects. The only notable ones are Alpha Invasion and Delta Invasion, which suck because they are just giant 'The Sky may Be' styled maps that were intended for multiplayer purposes, which to the mappers, meant jam the map full of 200 million Barons of Hell and Belphegors, and in the last wave spam Spider Masterminds and Cyberdemons until it was impossible to live for more than 4 seconds, because there was simply no room to move.

Okay, looked over the updates. Only a couple people didn't post (I was mainly looking for that you were some sort of alive this time). Next time anyone who didn't loses their slot if they don't again. I kind of want this project done by the end of the year so I figure this will keep people at least a little wary of spending too little time.

The next update call will require screen shots!

As for the episode release we don't seem to have resolved that. I prefer releasing it all at once as 5 different wads + a resource wad for music purposes on vanilla. This way everyone can enjoy the music + wad, without having to use either MAPINFO or a DED file or whatever, and we can stay port independent. I didn't see any major complaints other than inconvenience (which we can include batch files or something I guess), so that'll be the official ruling. We can put Lord Z's titles in a separate wad or merge them into the resource wad for advanced port usage; I think that's about the best we can do at this point.

ler said...
I prefer releasing it all at once as 5 different wads + a resource wad for music purposes on vanilla. This way everyone can enjoy the music + wad, without having to use either MAPINFO or a DED file or whatever, and we can stay port independent.

Sounds like a plan to me.

ler said:

... releasing it all at once as 5 different wads + a resource wad for music purposes on vanilla. This way everyone can enjoy the music + wad, without having to use either MAPINFO or a DED file or whatever, and we can stay port independent. ...

Oh, update. I scrapped the idea of using different enviroments and am just sticking to mapping one theme. I SHOULD have a screenshot soon.

Alright, that plan works. I'd like episodic release better but I guess the world just isn't ready for my crazy ideas.

ler said:

As for the episode release we don't seem to have resolved that. I prefer releasing it all at once as 5 different wads + a resource wad for music purposes on vanilla. This way everyone can enjoy the music + wad, without having to use either MAPINFO or a DED file or whatever, and we can stay port independent. I didn't see any major complaints other than inconvenience (which we can include batch files or something I guess), so that'll be the official ruling. We can put Lord Z's titles in a separate wad or merge them into the resource wad for advanced port usage; I think that's about the best we can do at this point.

I dunno really about 5 wads. I would rather have 1 whole episode wad and a music wad.

Sorry about the delay, i've had some other things on my mind, but i'm going to get back to work on my map.

I'll try and get a few screenshots in at least this week.

Torn: You can't have one music wad and have all the different midis, though. Heretic reuses the same music files; it's not like Ultimate Doom where each level has its own specific file and there's a bunch of copies.

There's also the option of releasing a 5/6 wad "vanilla" edition and a 1 wad "advanced" edition.

Too many versions is a little bit confusing, though. We're not Windows Vista.

ler said:

Too many versions is a little bit confusing, though. We're not Windows Vista.

In this regard I think MAC OSX is the worst. They've had like 7 different versions you had to *pay* for, not to mention all the mini updates. If you want to cry look at MAC software requirements.... needs MAC OS X 10.4.33.2.34.6.62.7.3.4 or higher hehe

Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard

Mild amusement value is all...

Admittedly I hadn't been working on my map lately. I'll get right on it. I'll throw up some screenshots soon.

Aabra said:

In this regard I think MAC OSX is the worst. They've had like 7 different versions you had to *pay* for, not to mention all the mini updates. If you want to cry look at MAC software requirements.... needs MAC OS X 10.4.33.2.34.6.62.7.3.4 or higher hehe

Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard

Mild amusement value is all...

I'm sure everyone appreciates you derailing this thread with such worthwhile and related posts.

God forbid Apple releases free updates several times a year instead of making everyone wait however long for issues to be fixed. As for that long decimal you posted there, I have no idea what you're on about. 10 is the system itself, and I guess they just stick with that number for branding purposes. 10.5.3 = version 5.3 of OS X. This is pretty basic stuff here.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Heretic Treasure Chest thread, already in progress.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any opinion on the greens in Heretic's palette being the color of Nickelodeon slime? I experimented a bit with softening them to something more usable when I was working on the texture wad, but I was having trouble coming up with something that looked good without sacrificing the visibility of green projectiles. If there's any interest in it, maybe a color range can be found that's a suitable compromise, because the green marble in Zap's screenshot makes me realize how awful the current color is -- there's a reason it wasn't used in any of the original textures, and I would have probably used a lot less of it myself had I decided to scrap the custom palette earlier on.

I wouldn't mind if the textures were of a darker, more mellow green, but then that would interfere with projectile colours as you say. I think we'll just have to be careful and sparing in the use of those textures - and the same goes for some of the other vibrant colour choices you've provided.

Oops! I really need to pay more attention to this thread! I'm still working on this map and have stuff to show. Gimme a bit and I'll post them up here :P

I am still working on my map...slowly. I would have gotten it done sooner but I have been so busy lately. I am going to push it up to first priority.

Hey, I set up an IRC Channel again. It's at OFTC (same server as #zdoom and #skulltag and the CC4 channel) at #htc. Join and talk about maps, or anything else.

2 Screenshots of my map, it's a simple map, i'm kind of doing then the "Build it first, then place the stuff afterwards, it's progress (I've actually done a bit more than this)

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/1443/screenshotheretic200806ty3.png

Water filled craters

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/7485/screenshotheretic200806ku2.png

Yellow Key room (Although there will be resistance)

I'll try and get more up soon.

Does it have any error message when it crashes? I tried it with the original DM and it says FLAT1 not found so find whatever has this and get rid of it. I don't know if that's what is making it crash Heretic+ but it's a start.

esselfortium said:

I'm wondering if anyone here has any opinion on the greens in Heretic's palette being the color of Nickelodeon slime? I experimented a bit with softening them to something more usable when I was working on the texture wad, but I was having trouble coming up with something that looked good without sacrificing the visibility of green projectiles. If there's any interest in it, maybe a color range can be found that's a suitable compromise, because the green marble in Zap's screenshot makes me realize how awful the current color is -- there's a reason it wasn't used in any of the original textures, and I would have probably used a lot less of it myself had I decided to scrap the custom palette earlier on.

The greens are just fine! The vibrant palette is one of the biggest ways Heretic achieves such a different feel than Doom despite all the obvious similarities.