Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duvel

Heretic: Treasure Chest - PLEASE FILL IN SLOTS!

Lord_Z said:

It's been awhile since anything has been said and I am beginning to think people have forgotten about the project. I would hate to see this thing disappear after all the progress that has been made.

A while? It's only been 5 days since the last update.
If you think that's a while then you should check the threads for other projects that I'm watching...
Namely, Last Man On Earth and Wolfenstein - Red Star.
Now those ones get updated in a while.

Anyways, I'm not losing my faith in this project or any of the others.

DarkJedi188 said...
A while? It's only been 5 days since the last update.

Really? I could have sworn it's been more like a few weeks, maybe a month or more. The times on the posts don't lie I guess but I really thought it was later than that. I must be going crazy.

Also, didn't that Last Man on Earth wad get canceled?

Also, I had already planned for July 20 - July 26 if you read the first post updates ;).

Yea, I saw that but for some reason I thought it said June. I have obviously been seeing things today...

Ah, well, carry on then.

Are we really going to get five episodes completed?

I'm impressed with the speed that we've arrived at this point, with many maps in later stages of development. Still, however, there are lots of open slots. It's one thing if mappers haven't released their level yet, but nobody has signed up for e4/e5 slots. I would be willing to make a third map, but I'd rather see new people signing up - I just don't know how to advertise and get people interested.

I just wonder if the extra episodes will grind us to a halt. We're very close but still, e1 is not complete. I think liberation has been signed up for e1m4 since way back, and apparently hasn't updated. Who is going to take the slot if he gets booted? Or should we move e4m4 to that spot? If more people don't sign up for a second map then we may have a lot of trouble filling e4-e5

I've still never fully accepted the 5 episodes idea, and for good reason. I don't want to wait forever for them to slowly get filled if we could have released three episodes much sooner.

E4m4 can't be included in its current state, so there's no use in talking about moving it here or there unless the gameplay is made tolerable.

My level is signed as

E4M1: Lorenzo (finished, too many ambient sound sequences)

What does this mean? Is there a limit for the sound sequences?

Ok, i'll deleted some sounds but where can i upload the wad then?

Lorenzo

magicsofa said:

I just don't know how to advertise and get people interested.

What if we advertised on ZDoom and Skulltag forums? I would be willing to make the necessary threads. Just a thought...

On ZDoom, sure, but I'm sure that Essel would warn against advertising on Skulltag's forums.

Lorenzo said:

What does this mean? Is there a limit for the sound sequences?

Vanilla Heretic has a limit of 8 ambient sounds I believe.

Creaphis said:

On ZDoom, sure

OK, I will start writing up a thread if there are no objections about ZDoom.

Creaphis said:

I'm sure that Essel would warn against advertising on Skulltag's forums.

OK? I will stay away from Skulltag then.

Lorenzo said...
Ok, i'll deleted some sounds but where can i upload the wad then?

Zshare is the place I use to upload wads and then you can just post a link to it here.

After the next update call, it might be a good idea to rearrange who is still in and who is not so we can see the overall progress of the episodes. It might turn out that the first 3 are actually done if the maps from episode 4 and 5 are moved as a result of people not posting.

Let's just wait and see.

I gave Dreadopp permission to post a thread on ZDoom.org's forums (though I didn't really require it in the first place, he just asked :D).

ler said:

(though I didn't really require it in the first place, he just asked :D).

:P, I had to be sure ;).

Well, I do have an old ex-Plutonia II map I can convert over to Heretic if needed (it's kinda Heretic-style anyway). It's vanilla-compatible and at present could be considered about 85-90% complete, as only the texture/monster/item conversion and rebalancing of gameplay is needed. Any remaining slot in E4/E5 would do for it except for boss/secret maps.

It would also be my 10th Heretic map, having made this back in 2002 :P

The Ultimate DooMer said:

It would also be my 10th Heretic map, having made this back in 2002 :P

Hey, I played that! That was a pretty fun levelset.

No problems here with taking a converted Plutonia II map, but what about from the Plutonia II guys?

It was one of the old beta maps that I made in 2003 when Metabolist was still running it. When it got revived, all but 4 of the maps were dropped, including both of mine. (the other one is going to CC4 if anyone drops out)

That's all fine, then. I guess this'll end up being a bit of a mismatch of a project, but hey, not many Heretic megawads before this. We're already ahead! :D

Also, there's a new version of E2M1 up. Some various corrections I missed for getting it to work in Heretic+. I've not been totally thorough (just making sure it STARTS is fine for me, but I'll do another run through to go through the entire level in a little bit).

There's some textures in the texture wad that don't work in Heretic+ right, BLUEFRA3 being one of them, according to kimo. I'm pretty sure there's probably a few more. Is there any way to fix those? I'll have a look in a bit.

These are the textures I found which don't display correctly in heretic+
BLUEFRA3 & BLUEFRA4 & BLUEFRED

These texture make heretic+ freeze when you try to look at them and if the map begins with you looking at them it freezes while loading
BLUEFRA2 & BLUEFRA5 & BLUEFRA6 & BLUEFRA7 & BLUEFRA7 & BLUEFRA8

The original Heretic complains about those textures as well. Something about it not finding the patches.

I think I've messed around with those textures before. I'll see if I can find the problem.

Edit: Found the problem, and I'll have time to fix it later. The bluefra patches and flats have the same names. There might be more name conflicts that need to be sorted out as well. I'll see.

Creaphis said:

I think I've messed around with those textures before. I'll see if I can find the problem.

Edit: Found the problem, and I'll have time to fix it later. The bluefra patches and flats have the same names. There might be more name conflicts that need to be sorted out as well. I'll see.

Ah, yeah, that's an issue I discovered early on while working on kdikdizd. I guess it only loads the last lump of that name, so you end up with it trying to draw the flat on the wall instead of the patch. Whoops ><

Creaphis: No good. Error is says that BLUEFRA4 and BLUEFRED are "collumns without a patch."

Same problem, unfortunately. I've not uploaded it to the webspace because it hasn't fixed the problem yet. Sorry for now confirming this earlier, though; various real life things due to 4th of July popped up.

I made a test level with all the bluefrag-based textures and they all worked fine in Heretic+. What level are you testing with? You're sure you tested with the latest version?

I'm testing with a self made test level as well. I'm not sure why it's not working, as I downloaded the latest. I can retry.

Edit: I'm still getting errors after redownloading the resource wad. I'm not sure why.

Could you upload your test level, and tell me exactly how you're testing?

Also, how do you manage to capture Hereticp's error messages? They tend to flash off of my screen too quickly.