Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

If I'm pistol starting a hard/slaughter map that I'm not familiar with, I tend to watch the first few minutes of a speedrun to get a good start going. Then I wing it from there. There's not fun in dying repeatedly in the first 30 seconds trying to find decent weapons or escape the initial gangbang. The challenge should be in the encounters and not hiding the RL and BFG in obscure spots which you need to speedrun to in order to handle the monsters.

vadrig4r said:

This is an old post, but I thought I was the only one. Brother!

Funny to read this as I would often bring out the fist and punch the 3 of them before quitting. The odd little things Doomers do!

I notice the DL rate on the FDAs + 2DAs + casual PTs I post goes up slightly when I say I play badly or got killed by something a bunch of times. It's like there is a subset of people who only want to watch demos to see other people struggle.

GoatLord said:

vadrig4r, for shame! Try to obtain a copy of the PSX version if you can, you won't be disappointed.

Yeah, I really should go bargain-bin hunting.

rdwpa said:

I notice the DL rate on the FDAs + 2DAs + casual PTs I post goes up slightly when I say I play badly or got killed by something a bunch of times. It's like there is a subset of people who only want to watch demos to see other people struggle.

Schadenfreude is a powerful motivator.

antares031 said:

......Hang on a minute, I'm off the beat the every episodes of Heretic on BPPT.

I've just finished every levels of Heretic, including that damn E4 and E5, on BPPT. And it was totally worth to play thanks to the deadlier projectiles and faster monsters with no respawning.

Well done. I think Heretic on Skill 5 works quite well. If you like Hexen, it's the same (no respawning) and combat is a lot more fun IMHO.

BPPT is the only way to play Heretic. I never played E4 or E5, because we bought an earlier version before there was an E4-or-5, but I heard more bad things than good about those last two episodes.

rdwpa said:

I think it's also in part for the suspense of how far will you make it and where/when will you die (aside from when the bar reaches the right side of the window XD ) There's more entertainment to be had in a video of someone playing like a human; fallible, than perfect, like a machine.

Something of that element of unknown, that there is somewhere for the story to go, even if it's downhill fast.

Like Mr Mackey talking about tooth decay, without tooth decay, there's nowhere for the plot to go, mmkay? No art... mmkay.

Similar to why TAS is less-popular than non-TAS; the mistakes and chances for it, as well as the struggle for recovery makes the wads worth watching, but there's something less exciting about watching a demo you know will be a victory and the runner falling to 1% health as compared to when you do not know the outcome, or even know the outcome will be bad.

In all fairness, as I ramble on, I'm a firm believer in "it's not what happens, but how it happens," as evinced by famous plays like Romero and (tom)Halliet by Shakespeare to still be a successful way to tell a story, in that you see the ending at the beginning, but there's still something there that makes the unknown more interesting.

Even moving towards good vs bad endings; media loves to end on a happy note, mostly evident in books, tv, and movies. This is what made shows like The Twilight Zone and it's knockoff, The Scary Doo-- I mean, The Outer Limits, much more interesting to watch. Well, that and random plot twists for no reason. Which by the way are also to be expected more in a demo which ends badly. See, I'm not high; it all ties in *wink*

plums said:

...If you like Hexen, it's the same (no respawning) and combat is a lot more fun IMHO.

Indeed. I'm planning to beat Hexen on pope or archmage soon. But I need to recall the memories about the locations of puzzle switches first.

Fonze said:

BPPT is the only way to play Heretic. I never played E4 or E5, because we bought an earlier version before there was an E4-or-5, but I heard more bad things than good about those last two episodes.

Right, there are huge differences between the original episodes and the newer ones, and most of them were negative elements. The worst problem was confronting Maulotaur in the very first level with no powerful weapons and items.

I have never completed any Doom outside of the first, second and third episode of the original Doom.

I fail the 2-hit BFG combo on the Cyber at least half the time. For some reason he likes doing the 6 rocket combo instead of 3.

vadrig4r said:

Yeah, I really should go bargain-bin hunting.

Schadenfreude is a powerful motivator.

Or you could just go on Amazon ya know. That's how I got my copy of PSX Doom. No bargin-bin diving required. =)

kuchitsu said:

For me playing Doom with mouselook is quite uncomfortable. Having to aim vertically by myself feels like too much work.

I take it that you don't play almost any FPS made after Quake then, and even a few made before that point (Heretic, Hexen, etc)...

I had to sleep with the lights on yesterday because I was scared of a ghost I made out of a texture in a map I'm making. Playtesting my map at 2AM, in the dark, and with a malfunctioning motherboard also helped that. Stupid thing froze my computer just as I was uploading this screenshot.

Fonze said:

Nice, gotta love Blood.

Speaking of Blood... will we ever get a reboot by Interceptor Entertainment at some point? =D

I've been playing Doom for over 12 years and have only recently had serious ambition to make levels (and single Vanilla levels at that).

I don't enjoy Doom 2 as a whole very much at all. I can sit through Doom pretty easily and play it level by level, but Doom 2 generally makes me want to skip between maps so I can avoid the less fun ones.

Danfun64 said:

I take it that you don't play almost any FPS made after Quake then, and even a few made before that point (Heretic, Hexen, etc)...

Quake (single player) is ok with just keyboard. Helps a bit if you set sv_aim to 0.
Heretic and Hexen are also fine.
I also beat Duke3D episode 1 like that (the rest might be doable too, just didn't try).
Wolf3D was more of a problem, due to lack of left/right strafe keys. Maybe there's a port that adds those...
Descent has the opposite problem! You can make your ship move in so many different ways that it's confusing unless you really spend lots of time at it, so you don't constantly bump into walls.
Marathon also seemed fine with just keyboard (using the Aleph One port).

hex11 said:

Quake (single player) is ok with just keyboard. Helps a bit if you set sv_aim to 0.
I also beat Duke3D episode 1 like that (the rest might be doable too, just didn't try).
Wolf3D was more of a problem, due to lack of left/right strafe keys. Maybe there's a port that adds those...
Descent has the opposite problem! You can make your ship move in so many different ways that it's confusing unless you really spend lots of time at it, so you don't constantly bump into walls.

I enjoy Half-Life 1 quite a bit.... as well as Marathon, Quake, Blood, Halo 1-3, and I also thoroughly enjoy playing Doom as well as Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and Star Wars Battlefront 2. :3

hex11 said:

The most excellent ECWolf by our own Blzut3!

DoomzRules said:

Speaking of Blood... will we ever get a reboot by Interceptor Entertainment at some point? =D

Hate to break it to you, but Blood has a long, notorious history for having its rights totally hogged by its owner (which, ATM, is actually Warner Bros., who owns Monolith), without much being done with it.

hex11 said:

I find Descent really confusing until I binded default fps wasd movement with space and ctrl as moveup/down and several other keys to help navigation, and it worked like a charm

GoatLord said:

I know I'm not alone when I say that the other day, while looking at a building--you know, one in real life--I had a very brief moment of cognitive dissonance, where I asked myself, "How the hell can that have two stories?"

when im mapping i am seriously stuck like that for days at a time hahaha.

i also try and quicksave before saying sketchy shit to my girlfriend.

nxGangrel said:

Since cortlong mentioned wads, I think the same about Miasma. it's not that good.

i like it.....until it gets absolutely ridiculously hard to the point of ridiculous hahahaha. the mapping is beautiful doe.

Sgt Ender said:

Yet people downvote any WAD that doesn't have full Brutal Doom compatibility.

i have not gone through one page on this forum without someone saying brutal doom.

just stop.

cortlong50 said:

i have not gone through one page on this forum without someone saying brutal doom.

just stop.

As I've stated in the past...

Brutal Doom is like Communism. The idea of more gore in Doom sounds like a good theory.... but poorly applied it is indeed...

Though I will admit and concede that Brutal Doom v20b is WAY more mature than any of its predecessors.... :3 (certainly better than the one with the nonsensical screaming and Doom 3 alpha Zombie sfx which made no sense in a Classic Doom mod IMHO.)