Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mirko

How did you get your Gamename? What is it?

Hey guys. I don't have a gamer name as I just go by my middle name. Does it really matter if I have one or not? Do you think it is cooler to have one, or it doesn't really matter?

I tend to call them 'nicks' like yukib1t said.

I started out in the Half-Life community on some long dead and lost forum and I don't recall what name I used on there. Then when I joined the Doom community I didn't think too much about it and spat out the nick, Doom_Dude and have been stuck with it since. Over the years I've had different people ask me if I was some olde deathmatch player from the mid 90's... even Toke thought I was some old rival clan player when he saw my signature that said 'The only good vile is a dead vile', which was some old Doom clan (not sure if it was one he was in or not tho), so he yelled at me and I was all WTF at first till I clued in to what the issue was and had to explain it was just a sig about the vile demon. I certainly wasn't around in the olde days as I didn't get the internet till early 2000 on some dead free ISP thing with dialup.. haha.

In other communities I've use the name Pittfiend and also Runeblade and Dreadmace and probably some others I've forgotten.

Nomad said:

My handle "Nomad" was inspired almost exclusively from This Song

I thought it was because you roam around a lot. ;)

Danarchy said:

Recently, some faggot stole my name and became famous as an urban explorer, so I'm a bit annoyed. I considered changing my handle, but I've been using it for well over a decade, so I don't think so.

That's like the Vilecore name. I came up with the name and I checked google way back when and nothing or anybody was using it. Now there's weird websites and a shitty band using it and people use it as nicks on various forums. lol

Grain of Salt said:

Christopher Reaphis.

Craig Eaphis?

My name is from Batman. No deeper meaning or anything, it just sounded cool.

yukib1t said:

I still call them "handles" myself. Or "nicks". Gamertag feels very kitsch-military.

Ditto. The title makes even less sense now.

Doom Dude said:

That's like the Vilecore name. I came up with the name and I checked google way back when and nothing or anybody was using it. Now there's weird websites and a shitty band using it and people use it as nicks on various forums. lol

I've been using this name (and variations thereof) at LEAST since I joined this site in January of 2001. It was only in the past year that this guy showed up. Granted, there were one or two people using it even back when I started, but they were some defunct, out-of-the-way websites (IIRC danarchy.net was someone's baby announcement). For the longest time I dominated the first page of Google searches. Actually, my old Wikipedia profile is still the first result for some weird reason, even though I haven't done any editing there in well over 5 years.

I made it when I was 12.
The only thing I remember was choosing 94 cause it was my birth year.
I've just continued to use the name because I find thinking of something else and changing my name to that on everything would be too much hassle and not worth it. Yeah.

Mirko said:

Hey guys. I don't have a gamer name as I just go by my middle name. Does it really matter if I have one or not? Do you think it is cooler to have one, or it doesn't really matter?

My screen name is literally my name. And I'd like to see you to find someone cooler than me!

Danarchy said:

For the longest time I dominated the first page of Google searches.

It's so hard to resist ego-searching, isn't it? My front page is dominated by a French publishing company, as usual, but apparently I inspired an article by ArchitectofHell and never knew it.

Danarchy said:

For the longest time I dominated the first page of Google searches.

At least I haven't lost that yet, only the fifth result on Google is about someone/something else. :)

when i've joined the doom community using the nickname "Daimon", that still be my nickname in my maps and some forums (like Zdoom).

This nickname coming out from an old hentai game i've read from a eroge magazine (when in Italy we had manga and japanese culture magazines, now we are invaded from a overload of shoujo manga and soul eater and other similar crap -can obviously i read LOL-) i've used it as first for joining a p2p software,and i used the first two names i found in the front page (actually daimon and gakuen z) and it became daimongakuen666, then the "daimon" nick started to liked me and i started to used it in various forums... and obviously, also here in something like 11 years ago or something similar...

then i lose the password for my original user, then i've get in here with another username called daimonreloaded.

then, i was banned from there for warez, and i've joined the community of doomworld after long time (3, 4 years probably) and this nickname is, well... the name my parents gave me when i was born.

Tobes of Hades, lit by flickering torchlight
The netherworld is gathered in the glare
Prince By-Tor takes the cavern to the north light
The sign of Eth is rising in the air

By-Tor, knight of darkness
Centurion of evil, Devil's prince

_.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._

Across the River Styx, out of the lamplight
His nemesis is waiting at the gate
The Snow Dog, ermine glowing in the damp night
Coal black eyes shimmering with hate

By-Tor and the Snow Dog
Square for battle, let the fray begin

_.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._

The battle's over and the dust is clearing
Disciples of the Snow Dog sound the knell
Rejoicing echoes as the dawn is nearing
By-Tor in defeat retreats to Hell

Snow Dog is victorious
The land of the Overworld is saved again

♦ ♦ ♦ EDIT: link removed ♦ ♦ ♦

I've used this name for a very long time.

Originally my name was Clone Hunter when I first used it on Massassi.net. But I got lazy with that extra space so I removed it. I have the name cause it sounded cool, and I had it before that shitty movie came out.

Jodwin said:

At least I haven't lost that yet, only the fifth result on Google is about someone/something else. :)

When I search I'myourtarget, I'm pretty sure all the results on the first page are me and maybe the second page.

Grain of Salt said:

I think people used to say "Gamename". Unless my memory deceives me.

I have never ever heard the term "gamename" until today.

Years ago a friend of mine drew a funny picture and called it a Llama Krisp. Then I signed up for a forum and called myself Krisp because I thought it was funny. Then I and a couple other forum buddies changed our forum names to reflect adventure game characters, so I became Manny Krispavera. Then I started using the name Krispavera for everything because.

Since then I've dropped the "Kris" because everyone always thinks my name is Kris. So you can find me anywhere else as Pavera. Sometimes people call me Pavs and I'm alright with that. Also I often name game characters Pavs Wilco.

That is the end of my story.

I think this is the only community I go by Technician. I'm always Malchik on pretty much everything involving gaming/internet.

Alex from a A Clockwork Orange would often refer to a male as a malchik, which I found out was Russian for boy.

Nomad said:

My handle "Nomad" was inspired almost exclusively from
Sepultura Link

Good taste in music, brother! Great band, great album, great song.

For me, I got PRIMEVAL from the final boss of Twisted Metal 3. Now, I pretty much hate the game as part of the TM series, but keep the name. However, people think I got this name from my liking of the TV show 'Primeval.'

Also, if Primeval is taken, I'll use Primaevus (Latin variant) or Armagon (Quake 1 Mission Pack 1 boss).

Joshy, a shorter version of Joshy Poshy as my family would call me (but then again, it's a popular way of saying for the name 'josh' too). My real name is, you guessed it, Josh.

I play under the name 'Mr Macphisto' on Steam games as well.

SeanWJF said:

My screen name is literally my name. And I'd like to see you to find someone cooler than me!

That is a good way to look at it :D